HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

All Things Charlotte Checkers II: The Wrath of Boychuk

Old
05-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
Last year. Daniels sucks, has an uber talented team and can't make it to the playoffs, he can't develop talent, he needs to go.

Middle of this year. Unlike Muller, look at the fantastic job Daniels is doing with a roster decimated with injuries. They are on their 3rd and 4th string goalies, relying on ECHL guys galore, and are still right in the thick of things. Plus a lot of guys look to be developing and doing well in their chance with the Canes. Daniels is doing a great job.

Now. Daniels sucks. Bowing out in the first round of the playoffs is an embarrassment. Daniels needs to go.

Did I capture that about right?

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:38 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Really. Which ones?
Oklahoma City used 2 fewer players than the Checkers this year and just embarrassed them in a playoff series.. So there's one.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:33 AM
CanesAvs16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Last year. Daniels sucks, has an uber talented team and can't make it to the playoffs, he can't develop talent, he needs to go.

Middle of this year. Unlike Muller, look at the fantastic job Daniels is doing with a roster decimated with injuries. They are on their 3rd and 4th string goalies, relying on ECHL guys galore, and are still right in the thick of things. Plus a lot of guys look to be developing and doing well in their chance with the Canes. Daniels is doing a great job.

Now. Daniels sucks. Bowing out in the first round of the playoffs is an embarrassment. Daniels needs to go.

You captured it quite accurately

CanesAvs16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:52 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:

Another way to look at it is that Daniels is our minor league version of Paul Maurice, keeping his head just far enough above water to save his job without actually accomplishing anything noteworthy.

It's great that he kept that team from imploding Hurricanes-style when they were missing a lot of players, but they weren't in nearly that bad of shape when they got outscored 14-3 to end their season. They had been pretty well loaded up with NHL-ish talent (Nash, Murphy, Dalpe, Boychuk, Sutter, Bellemore, Blanchard, Welsh) and got schooled by a bunch of guys who have never cracked the Oilers. That's a tough pill to swallow for what should have been a very competitive Checkers team.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Even if he won the Calder Cup, I'd want Daniels gone.

Now that we actually have our minor league team in the org. (the owner of the Checkers is a partial owner of the 'Canes), make them be a developmental team rather than one that tries to win. Play based on NHL aspirations rather than AHL effectiveness (example: play Murphy, Bellemore, Levi and Biega more than Gragnani, Raymond and Jordan).

Daniels doesn't do that. He plays to win, and while that's all well and good, I don't think that should be the focus of our AHL team. Plus, focusing on development doesn't preclude winning if the 'Canes draft well.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
They had been pretty well loaded up with NHL-ish talent (Nash, Murphy, Dalpe, Boychuk, Sutter, Bellemore, Blanchard, Welsh) and got schooled by a bunch of guys who have never cracked the Oilers. That's a tough pill to swallow for what should have been a very competitive Checkers team.
I think one of the problems that many fail to see is that if the best collection of talent on paper always won, then the Rangers would have "multiple stanley cups" in the past few years. The Barons had 1 point less than the Checkers at the end of the regular season, so it's not like the Checkers were head and shoulders above them.

No doubt though, it has to be disappointing to lose 2 games like that to end the season though and I honestly haven't followed the checkers enough to say much about them. I also really have no opinion 1 way or another on Daniels, but IMO, when it comes down to 1-2 games, it's more on the players than on the coach.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

I'd say call up the Everblades coach.

Everyone from the ECHL shows up ready to play.

Metro Misfits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:57 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
I think one of the problems that many fail to see is that if the best collection of talent on paper always won, then the Rangers would have "multiple stanley cups" in the past few years.
I don't think anyone fails to see that. If anything, it strongly supports the hypothesis that the coach isn't doing a very good job.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
I don't think anyone fails to see that. If anything, it strongly supports the hypothesis that the coach isn't doing a very good job.
Again, I admit I haven't seen much of the Checkers and am basing this off of reading stories, stats, and other conversation on this board, and somewhat playing devil's advocate to have a good conversation , but a coach that took a line-up devastated with injuries, got them into the playoffs and a chance to win 1 game for a chance to move on against a team that was their equal (in terms of regular season) with all the turn-over they've had and riding ECHL (or worse) level goaltending seems like a pretty respectable job to me.

Maybe, just maybe the talent isn't as good as one likes to think or the talented players just didn't perform. Unless Daniels drastically changed how he coaches with 2 games left in the playoffs, I'd wonder how these 2 losses strongly support your hypothesis? If people tell me he did, then I'd agree.

Seems to me, some of the players need to look in the mirror or aren't as ready for the NHL as some think.

Riley Nash: 1 g in 5 games
Ryan Murphy: 0 G, 2 A in 5 games
Jeremy Welsh: 0 G in 5 games
Zac Dalpe: Pointless in 5 games
Brett Sutter: Pointless in 5 games

Old
05-06-2013, 01:47 PM
CanesAvs16

Quote:
Again, I admit I haven't seen much of the Checkers and am basing this off of reading stories, stats, and other conversation on this board, and somewhat playing devil's advocate to have a good conversation , but a coach that took a line-up devastated with injuries, got them into the playoffs and a chance to win 1 game for a chance to move on against a team that was their equal (in terms of regular season) with all the turn-over they've had and riding ECHL (or worse) level goaltending seems like a pretty respectable job to me.

Maybe, just maybe the talent isn't as good as one likes to think or the talented players just didn't perform. Unless Daniels drastically changed how he coaches with 2 games left in the playoffs, I'd wonder how these 2 losses strongly support your hypothesis? If people tell me he did, then I'd agree.

Seems to me, some of the players need to look in the mirror or aren't as ready for the NHL as some think.

Riley Nash: 1 g in 5 games
Ryan Murphy: 0 G, 2 A in 5 games
Jeremy Welsh: 0 G in 5 games
Zac Dalpe: Pointless in 5 games
Brett Sutter: Pointless in 5 games
This is exactly what happened. As most know, especially you Boom Boom Anton, I am a big fan of Dalpe. All I found myself saying during the series was where is he? He completely disappeared offensively. I went to the last game and did notice he was much better without the puck than I have seen him earlier in the year, but they need him to score and he just wasn't doing it. If he wants to make the Canes next year (and I'm thinking this will be his last chance), he needs to gain weight, bring the physical presence I have seen from him the last few games (he almost fought twice in the Barons series), and keep generating offensive chances (I think he had 6 shots in the last game).

Boychuk played well during the first four games. As I said earlier its hard to understand how his game has zero translation to the NHL.

Welsh is not ready for the NHL. He needs at least one more year at the AHL level. He needs to work on many aspects of his game. He is not aware of where the puck is on the ice at all times, and because of this, he blows many offensive opportunities.

I don't think you can judge the Checkers based on their play during the playoffs. While we would have liked to see them succeed, they didn't. They played well throughout the year and the guys who should have produced more offense (Terry, Dalpe, Sutter, Boychuk) were the top scorers for the regular season. We cannot discount what happened over the course of the full season just because they cracked under the pressure of the playoffs.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:51 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
decent read on Boychuk for this offseason:

http://gocheckers.com/news/checkers/?article_id=1549

Not sure I see a one-way contract but I wouldn't be shocked if the Canes offer him another two-way deal. In fact I would bet on just that. So question is if he wants to take AHL money for another shot at the NHL, or if he wants to take a contract in one of the top Euro leagues which may or may not be a positive step developmentally for him.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

If we're doing Skinner at center of the 3rd line, then we have 3 winger spots that should be filled by skill players.

Boychuk should be able to grab one. I hope he does, just so he can make our 1st round selection perfect (and yes, I'm pretending that we selected Tlusty in 2009 rather than he who shall not be named).

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:10 PM
CanesAvs16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
If we're doing Skinner at center of the 3rd line, then we have 3 winger spots that should be filled by skill players.

Boychuk should be able to grab one. I hope he does, just so he can make our 1st round selection perfect (and yes, I'm pretending that we selected Tlusty in 2009 rather than he who shall not be named).
I lol'd.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:12 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
decent read on Boychuk for this offseason:

http://gocheckers.com/news/checkers/?article_id=1549

Not sure I see a one-way contract but I wouldn't be shocked if the Canes offer him another two-way deal. In fact I would bet on just that. So question is if he wants to take AHL money for another shot at the NHL, or if he wants to take a contract in one of the top Euro leagues which may or may not be a positive step developmentally for him.
I doubt it would do a damned thing for his development, but I could see Boychuk excelling in the DEL.

05-08-2013, 01:51 PM
CanesAvs16

This is a good read:
http://www.gocheckers.com/news/check...rticle_id=1550

Hopefully he trains hard this offseason and makes the Canes next year. He sounds quite determined.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:28 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Home opener set for Saturday October 19th.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:55 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesAvs16 View Post
This is a good read:
http://www.gocheckers.com/news/check...rticle_id=1550

Hopefully he trains hard this offseason and makes the Canes next year. He sounds quite determined.
It would be huge for the Canes if Dalpe finally rounded into a reliable NHL winger. I'm not holding my breath, but it's a nice thought.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:11 AM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
It would be huge for the Canes if Dalpe finally rounded into a reliable NHL winger. I'm not holding my breath, but it's a nice thought.
I thought he and Skinner showed decent chemistry together toward the end of the year. I'd like to try them out together during training camp, see if we have anything. That being said, he'll be 24 in the fall, if he's not putting things together this point I'm not sure if he ever will.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:33 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanginLikeaBiscuit View Post
I thought he and Skinner showed decent chemistry together toward the end of the year. I'd like to try them out together during training camp, see if we have anything. That being said, he'll be 24 in the fall, if he's not putting things together this point I'm not sure if he ever will.
I think his career here will be decided by Christmas. Either he shows up at camp and blows everyone's socks off, which would give him a window to stick on the NHL roster, or he's basically done as a prospect.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:55 AM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
I think his career here will be decided by Christmas. Either he shows up at camp and blows everyone's socks off, which would give him a window to stick on the NHL roster, or he's basically done as a prospect.
Yep. Hopefully JR can deal him for something if it doesn't work out, with all the apparent interest Dalpe received at this past deadline.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:59 PM
CanesAvs16

Quote:
Agreed.

Old
07-31-2013, 07:33 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

G JESSE DECKERT SIGNED ONE-YEAR, TWO-WAY AHL CONTRACT
G MIKE MURPHY SIGNED ONE-YEAR, TWO-WAY CONTRACT
G JUSTIN PETERS ONE ON TWO-YEAR DEAL (ONE-WAY NEXT SEASON)
D BRETT BELLEMORE SIGNED ONE-YEAR, TWO-WAY CONTRACT
D DANNY BIEGA THREE ON THREE-YEAR, ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT
D MARK FLOOD SIGNED ONE-YEAR, TWO-WAY CONTRACT
D MICHAL JORDAN SIGNED ONE-YEAR, TWO-WAY CONTRACT
D TOMMI KIVISTO ONE ON THREE-YEAR, ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT
D AUSTIN LEVI THREE ON THREE-YEAR, ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT
D KEEGAN LOWE THREE ON THREE-YEAR, ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT
D RYAN MURPHY THREE ON THREE-YEAR, ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT
D RASMUS RISSANEN ONE ON THREE-YEAR, ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT
D BEAU SCHMITZ TWO ON THREE-YEAR, ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT
D / F MATT CORRENTE SIGNED ONE-YEAR, TWO-WAY CONTRACT
LW NICOLAS BLANCHARD ONE ON TWO-YEAR, TWO-WAY CONTRACT
C ZAC DALPE SIGNED ONE-YEAR, TWO-WAY CONTRACT
C SEAN DOLAN SIGNED ONE-YEAR, ONE-WAY AHL CONTRACT
LW NATHAN GERBE SIGNED ONE-YEAR, TWO-WAY CONTRACT
LW MATT MARQUARDT AGREED TO ONE-WAY AHL CONTRACT
C RILEY NASH SIGNED TWO-YEAR, TWO-WAY CONTRACT
RW AARON PALUSHAJ SIGNED ONE YEAR, TWO-WAY CONTRACT
C VICTOR RASK THREE ON THREE-YEAR, ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT
LW JUSTIN SHUGG ONE ON THREE-YEAR, ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT
C BRETT SUTTER SIGNED ONE-YEAR, TWO-WAY CONTRACT
C BRODY SUTTER TWO ON THREE-YEAR, ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT
RW JARED STAAL SIGNED ONE-YEAR, TWO-WAY CONTRACT
LW CHRIS TERRY ONE ON TWO-YEAR, TWO-WAY CONTRACT
C JEREMY WELSH ONE ON TWO-YEAR CONTRACT (ONE-WAY NEXT SEASON)
C BRENDAN WOODS THREE ON THREE-YEAR, ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT

Players with a contract so far.

Metro Misfits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Fumble

I think Florida is gonna have the best Defense in the ECHL...just a matter of giving Roy some line mates and they'll have a great year.

Fumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Fumble

Muse signs with the Komets. Just no room for him in this organization.

Fumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 11:11 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but Rob Madore signed a contract with Cincinnati (AHL) and will attend the Panthers' training camp.