HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

05/02/13 fanchat

Old
05-02-2013, 01:23 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
05/02/13 fanchat

I scrolled through after the fanchat. Not a lot of interesting questions imo.

Below are Staples comments, about Snow adding a winger for Tavares and a replacement for Streit.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...7071?qr=1&qr=1
1:30
Staple:
Well, I think it's looking more and more like Mark Streit won't be back. Without knowing much about Snow's plans yet, since he's focused on the current squad, I'd think Marek Zidlicky could fit a short-term plan on D. Big shot, PP experience. He's not terrific in his own zone, but he wouldn't be playing big EV minutes. I don't think there'll be many forwards the Isles will
overpay for, not with Strome/Nelson/Nino in the pipeline.

1:35
Staple:
They do need someone who can carry the puck to free up Tavares. Strome might be that guy; Nino could be too, or it could be Lee. I don't see the Isles going for broke on a FA forward this summer, but we'll have to wait and see who's out there on July 5.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:48 PM
OlTimeHockey

in other words....discount rack or draft pick, no help will be coming. Streit to Zidlicky, much like Parenteau to Boyes. Costs outweigh desire to win until Wang sells.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Beastrt

He also talked about DP, poulin, and and Nilsson

Staple: Earl -- DP has been incommunicado since Bridgeport's season ended. I think there's a good chance he'll be bought out this summer, so yes, this could be the end of a wild, 13-year ride.

Staple: Right now, I don't think either of them is the answer. They're both still very young, Poulin has been inconsistent and Nilsson's health woes this season have basically made this a lost year. I still maintain the Isles will sign another veteran if they get Nabokov signed as well.

Good to see this may finally be the end of Dipietro, but if nabakov bolts they could be in trouble at goalie.

Beastrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:03 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
in other words....discount rack or draft pick, no help will be coming. Streit to Zidlicky, much like Parenteau to Boyes. Costs outweigh desire to win until Wang sells.
The frustrating part is Snow indicated after the cba was agreed upon, that he was waiting for the summer 2013, when the market would be crowded because of teams getting under the cap/ufas/buyouts.

I want a better blueline addition then Zidlicky.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 05-02-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: I meant the summer 2013
Old
05-02-2013, 02:05 PM
VAIsles
Mickey Mouse FO Yay!

Nabokov will get signed. One caveat is if he gets lit in the playoffs, he may not want to comeback. He will be stellar the rest of the way in this series, BOOK IT!

VAIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:17 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
The frustrating part is Snow indicated after the cba was agreed upon, that he was waiting for the summer 2014, when the market would be crowded because of teams getting under the cap/ufas/buyouts.

Waiver wire season is coming soon enough with the short summer! Remember, Crew and everyone: "we have no restrictions on spending."

Old
05-02-2013, 02:29 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Waiver wire season is coming soon enough with the short summer! Remember, Crew and everyone: "we have no restrictions on spending."
I have wondered, if having the isles make the playoffs, will make Snow even less likely to make a major trade.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:35 PM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

Quote:
I have wondered, if having the isles make the playoffs, will make Snow even less likely to make a major trade.
If anything it should show him what changes he has to make to improve the team.

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:52 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
"we believe in the team we have."

Old
05-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves View Post
If anything it should show him what changes he has to make to improve the team.
i think he will Say well my PLAN is working why makes changes.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
"we believe in the team we have."
If they get swept and Snow hits the dumpsters again for Keith Aucoins and Brian Straits of the NHL then the fans should and would go ape! There are no more excuses.. The fans want to see some talent to help John Tavares. There is no way they can be that blind

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:35 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
If they get swept and Snow hits the dumpsters again for Keith Aucoins and Brian Straits of the NHL then the fans should and would go ape! There are no more excuses.. The fans want to see some talent to help John Tavares. There is no way they can be that blind
I'm not saying Snow should be desperate and that he has to makes a deal.

I'm saying he should be kicking the tires and seeing if there's fair deal out there.
Check the ufa market, but also keep checking the trade market.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:42 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
The frustrating part is Snow indicated after the cba was agreed upon, that he was waiting for the summer 2013, when the market would be crowded because of teams getting under the cap/ufas/buyouts.

How many other things has Snow said over the years about free agent spending and acquiring talent?

The proof is there. Acquisitions were motivated by lowest cost option and highest cap hit player available on the market.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:00 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
I scrolled through after the fanchat. Not a lot of interesting questions imo.

Below are Staples comments, about Snow adding a winger for Tavares and a replacement for Streit.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...7071?qr=1&qr=1
1:30
Staple:
Well, I think it's looking more and more like Mark Streit won't be back. Without knowing much about Snow's plans yet, since he's focused on the current squad, I'd think Marek Zidlicky could fit a short-term plan on D. Big shot, PP experience. He's not terrific in his own zone, but he wouldn't be playing big EV minutes. I don't think there'll be many forwards the Isles will
overpay for, not with Strome/Nelson/Nino in the pipeline.

1:35
Staple:
They do need someone who can carry the puck to free up Tavares. Strome might be that guy; Nino could be too, or it could be Lee. I don't see the Isles going for broke on a FA forward this summer, but we'll have to wait and see who's out there on July 5.
The footnote on all of this is that it is Staple's opinion which is about as meaningful as any of ours in the end. It is my hope that Wang will see something good here with making the playoffs and finally get that wing Tavares needs, or the defenseman our blueline needs.

IMO, reserve judgement until we are into July a bit.

I won't provide odds, because I can see this landing either way for many reasons.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:38 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I did all a fan could and should do. I spoke with my wallet. Doesn't mean much to some - I live in Cali and would have only gone to ten games max per year, but that's over 11 years I refused to spend on my team. I know several of you guys don't go. I know most on another board refuse - at most only go once in a blue moon for their kids. Money talks.

Empty stands scream.

Too many people just go, bring the kids, don't care about the game......kinda why Wang caters to kids and does all the Sparky, bobbleheads, promos every game several years back.....cater to kids, because when they grow old enough to know the team won't get jack***t support from management and stop going, there are always new kids to replace them with.

Snow, this year, has shown he cares. Not nearly as much as Smith, almost as much as Milbury, but he has made strides as a lapdog GM cap evader.

There is hope he'll TRY to sign another Erhoff and then do nothing til August.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:39 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
i think he will Say well my PLAN is working why makes changes.
Exactly. The PLAN just takes two decades in some cases. Tavares is fit. He might have kids soon. Maybe they'll be boys.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:27 PM
DerekKingSnipes

There isnt real need to overpay for winger, with the younger wingers in system. I'd like a tougher D-man to replace Streit, they do have Donovan also almost ready for NHL duty.

DerekKingSnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:44 PM
LAIslanderFan

I don't think the next group of UFA's are very good. I don't think the Islanders should bother signing anybody from the group. Believe it or not, Boyes may be the best available UFA.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:53 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I don't think the next group of UFA's are very good. I don't think the Islanders should bother signing anybody from the group. Believe it or not, Boyes may be the best available UFA.
Boyes is going to come back for sure, as long as he doesnt ask for something dumb like a 4-5 year deal. I think Snow would love a 1 year deal, but odss are its a 2 year deal with a decent salary. They need a stop gap to fill in before Strome/Nino can fully take over that spot.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:00 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
Boyes is going to come back for sure, as long as he doesnt ask for something dumb like a 4-5 year deal. I think Snow would love a 1 year deal, but odss are its a 2 year deal with a decent salary. They need a stop gap to fill in before Strome/Nino can fully take over that spot.
Boyes better not be coming back. The guy was a one year stop gap.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:13 PM
seabass45

Boyes isn't taking another 1 year deal. I like that he stepped up his game recently but I'd rather promote from within or give that UFA money to someone like Horton.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:21 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Boyes better not be coming back. The guy was a one year stop gap.
I know, it sucks, but I really think he might be coming back if they #'s match up. I really think Snow is looking internally to fill a top line winger from Nino/Strome. I dont think he is going to go out and spend $$ on a UFA, unless it is someone like a JAGR who wants a 1 year deal. Which I am all for. I jsut think it will be to easy to bring back Boyes if he doesnt price himself out.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
I know, it sucks, but I really think he might be coming back if they #'s match up. I really think Snow is looking internally to fill a top line winger from Nino/Strome. I dont think he is going to go out and spend $$ on a UFA, unless it is someone like a JAGR who wants a 1 year deal. Which I am all for. I jsut think it will be to easy to bring back Boyes if he doesnt price himself out.

There are way too many guys on the brink of making this team. No way Boyes is coming back. There are 2 obvious openings next season. Boyes and Aucoin will be gone. At one point I would have said that CMacs spot wasn't a sure thing but he's stepped it up in the postseason.

The guys fighting for spots will be Niño, Strome, Ullstrom, Nelson, JJ, Lee.

I would rather a combo of any of the 2 above instead of Aucoin and boyes back.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote