HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Met any hockey stars?

Old
05-07-2013, 03:49 PM
datbwoymjp
Wa gwan?

vCash: 500
I met Luc Robataille in an elevator when I was about 10 years old. He wasn't nice, and wouldn't give me an autograph because I didn't have any money, because I was 10.

datbwoymjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 03:50 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Scott Stevens' son hit me with a snow shovel when I met him and his family.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Darth Yoda

I met LeMag but had to run there becouse a friend phoned me when i was about 500 metres away. I ran like hell with a backpack on, it was hard to judge how much from full speed was the best to utilize to make the whole stretch as fast as possible, i think i used to much in the beginning. He signed a paper but did not look at me. Oddly enough he agreed to a photo though which is a real nice treachure to have. Not used to cameras i was to take a photo with my friend and Mario but it got totally blurred becouse the new digital camera obviously was not as fast to focus as the ones with film. "Yeah that turned out real nice" friend told me and showed me the mess lol.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 06:24 PM
GameEight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofGrond View Post
What a tremendous honour, that must have been.

GameEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 06:30 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I met Adam Foote in a shoe store.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 06:33 PM
GameEight

Quote:
Originally Posted by datbwoymjp View Post
I met Luc Robataille in an elevator when I was about 10 years old. He wasn't nice, and wouldn't give me an autograph because I didn't have any money, because I was 10.
I guess they were right, that cash is 'King'...

GameEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:20 AM
datbwoymjp
Wa gwan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameEight View Post
I guess they were right, that cash is 'King'...
It was when he was in Detroit, and he was already pretty handsomely paid, especially for a 4th liner.

datbwoymjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 02:09 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Met Mike McPhee during the Stars' first year in Dallas at a skate with the team event. Kind of an obscure player, so I got to talk to him for a few minutes, which was awesome. Wrapped up the conversation by wishing him and the team best of luck competing against the Freeze (the Dallas Freeze, a minor league team that died after the Stars came to town).

"Against who?"
Against the Freeze.
"I don't know who that is."

LOL at him not knowing, and doubleLOL at 10-year old me thinking an NHL player would know about some spare minor league hockey team in Texas.

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:33 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofGrond View Post
Was it to the head? And did Scott Niedermayer's son hook you beforehand so that you couldn't avoid the hit?

Also, did Bill Clement keep calling you "Viktor" and think it was a clean hit even though it was a complete blindside?

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:49 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by datbwoymjp View Post
It was when he was in Detroit, and he was already pretty handsomely paid, especially for a 4th liner.
Robitaille in Detroit was making pennies... for Robitaille, anyway.

I mean, how was the guy supposed to feed his family after that kind of pay cut?

So clearly, Robitaille needed the cash. Especially since it's Detroit... have you SEEN how much parking costs down there? He probably needed to pay to get out of the structure or something.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:23 PM
seekritdude

Not sure how much it counts.. but my mom was mccartys and proberts house cleaner. Both were nice. As was dino.

seekritdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:48 PM
wondeROY

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Back when I was 14 I met Bob Gainey.

He was coaching Minnesota who was in town that weekend to play the Oilers and being a huge fan of the Stars, I got the crazy idea to call hotels in the city to see where they were staying so I could maybe head down and meet them.

After several failed attempts, I called the Westin and sure enough...

"Are the Minnesota North Stars there?"

"Can you give me a name?"

"Mike Modano"

"Yes would you like me to put you through to his room?"

*Panic mode "No thanks!" *Click

I called back and asked for Bob Gainey. She said he wasn't in right now but asked if I'd like to leave my name and number. So I did.

5 minutes later.....

My brother handed me the phone, "It's Bob Gainey!"

Asked me if he knew me, I said, "No I'm just a fan." We chatted for 5 minutes or so. I told him that yes I'm going to the game the next night, talked about the team, myself, etc.

So we got off the phone and that was that....so I thought.

He called back the next day looking for me but I was out. He was seeing if I wanted to actually come to the hotel to meet the team. He told my dad to bring me down to the bench before the game.

We headed down during warm ups and chatted for a bit. He told us to come down after the game too. So we did. He took us down just outside the dressing room and stood with us chatting the whole time. I met all the players and got autographs as they left the dressing room to get on to the bus. Even got my Modano jersey that my dad bought me signed. Of course I still have it.

The next year (1st year as the Dallas Stars) a buddy and I went to the game and headed down for warm ups. Mr.Gainey sees me and says, "Hi Travis! I see you still have your Stars jacket." I couldnt believe he remembered my name. He bought Modano over to sign my Beckett magazine he was on the cover of.

Bob Gainey is the classiest hockey guy you could ever hope to meet. Such a shame he's suffered so much tragedy the last few years.
LOL this is hilarious, and a great idea. I tried to track down the Avs once when they were in Dallas. I knew what hotel they were at, but alas it had very tight security. I think doing what you did in today's world might land you on the fbi list.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Crease

Rod Gilbert and I are the member of the same gym. Incredibly approachable. When I first had the balls to go up to him, I opened with "Hey, aren't you one of the greatest hockey players of all-time?" He laughed and said he's never been confused with someone like that before.

We've talked about everything from GAG to the concussion epidemic, to the Canucks current goaltending situation. He most recently told me some funny stories about Gilles Gratton, whom he roomed with during Gratton's short stint with the Rangers. Great guy that Gilbert is.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:40 AM
BobbyAwe

Okay, this was my father, not me, but i have to tell the stories cause i think they're funny...

My dad worked for the New York Racing Association (Aqueduct and Belmont tracks). He basically ran the Jock's room, did the official weigh-ins etc. and met a lot of sports guys who came to the track. He was especially good friends with Bernie Geoffrion, Reggie Fleming, and Gerry Cheevers. When Geoffrion was coaching the Rangers (68-69) he came in once with Reg Fleming who was on the team. My father asked Reggie if he was going to take care of Ferguson that night (as they were playing the Canadiens). Reggie flexed like a body-builder and said - "I'll take care of him!" Then Geoffrion slapped him hard on the back of the head and said - "You're not gonna fight tonight!"

In the early 80's Cheevers stopped by at the beginning of the season (he owned horses and was always coming by) and my father asked him who was going to win the cup that year. Cheevers said - "The Islanders are a cinch." Thing is, Cheevers was the coach of the Bruins at the time. (actually not that funny to me since i am a Bruin's fan)

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:16 AM
HockeyGuy73

vCash: 50
Quite a few of the Blues players kids played out at one of the local rinks in town, run by former Blue Perry Turnbull. Most of them was very nice, and would talk to you. Only one that stands out to me was Roman Turek would stand in the office so nobody would talk to him, or maybe there was another reason, who knows. Al MacInnis is a class act, on and off the ice. I was getting ready for one of my games, and he offered to buy me a beer.

HockeyGuy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Simfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
One time, i was in the city center of Bratislava and on the other side of the street i saw MARIAN HOSSA!!!!
Today in Stockholm I walked past Claude Giroux, didnt realise it at first but when I did I was close to go back and just shake his hand and tell him im a huge fan, but I chickened out

But the saddest part of the story is that I was there with my classmates(soon to become teachers) and when I got excited and said: Woah we just walked by Claude Giroux!!!! All of them looked at me like I was some kind of an idiot.....needless to say they are not hockey fans

Simfas is offline   Reply With Quote