HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

If we are awful this year....

Old
09-22-2006, 02:13 AM
GarretJoseph

vCash: 500
If we are awful this year....

Sorry guys, Don't mean to jinx us or anything like that or bring negativty to the boards but I was thinking....

If we really suck this year a the half-way point of the season..for whatever reason..who knows...lets just play along and say we stink!

What players would you ship out? What players do you think would get the best value in return?

Do you go with a complete youth rebuild and ship out Jags, Straka, Kaspar, Shanny, Cullen ?, Nylander, the Wards, Weeks, ect...

or do you keep the superstar Jagr?

What do you think Jagr could bring to us since the team that picks him up ONLY has to pay half his salary (as the Caps are paying the rest of it)

OR

Do you guys think we gut it out and dig in deep and make a few smart trades to get back on track and make a crack at the playoffs? Or just dismantle the team in the off-season...

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 04:51 AM
gaglinefan

This year

Imho there is more talent on the roster and we are strong in goal, Henrik looked sharp the other night. He made some amazing saves through all kinds of traffic, much like last season when we were winning every night. Cullen played like crazy, Greg Moore has a shot at making the team along with a couple of others. Our roster is better, the only way we struggle is if Jags is not up to par. Even so we will win our share. Anything can happen; no one thought we would begin last year the way we did or end the way we did. I like our chances this year. Go Rangers!!!

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 06:52 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Sorry guys, Don't mean to jinx us or anything like that or bring negativty to the boards but I was thinking....

If we really suck this year a the half-way point of the season..for whatever reason..who knows...lets just play along and say we stink!

What players would you ship out? What players do you think would get the best value in return?

Do you go with a complete youth rebuild and ship out Jags, Straka, Kaspar, Shanny, Cullen ?, Nylander, the Wards, Weeks, ect...

What do you think Jagr could bring to us since the team that picks him up ONLY has to pay half his salary (as the Caps are paying the rest of it)

OR

Do you guys think we gut it out and dig in deep and make a few smart trades to get back on track and make a crack at the playoffs? Or just dismantle the team in the off-season...
gotta keep jagr

i can see straka, nylander, shanny being moved but we really need to be completely out of it for that to happen

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 07:13 AM
bathgate

With a goalie like Henke, we should be able to compete for a playoff spot. A team is only as good as its goalie.However, to answer the question, if the team is out of playoff contention, there are no untouchables . Thus any player over 30 years old, especially Jagr, could be had for the right return.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 07:46 AM
Larry Melnyk

If by any chance the Rangers aren't in the PO hunt come March, then you deal guys and contracts that mean nothing to the future...WOuld include guys like Straka, Nylander....and maybe one of the D-men (War/Malik/Roszival?even Kaspar)if you can get real good value....Amazing how just a number of years ago there would have been about 10 vets on this list....Love the way this organization has turned around..

But somehow I don't think we have to worry about the Rangers not making the POs this year..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 08:01 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
If we stink, why on earth would we ship out the veterans? We are rebuilding, no? Doesn't that by definition mean we need veterans to bring along the youth? If we just trade away our veterans, we would be back at square one. This doesn't make any sense at all.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 08:04 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

This s the first year since god knows when, that I don't think there's a chance we'll be awful.

Anyway, I thought Jagr had a "no trade" contract.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 08:07 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
With a goalie like Henke, we should be able to compete for a playoff spot. A team is only as good as its goalie.However, to answer the question, if the team is out of playoff contention, there are no untouchables . Thus any player over 30 years old, especially Jagr, could be had for the right return.
And if Henke sucks you can always call across the atlantic, I think Indans would be willing to trade Tommy Salo to get Henke back

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 08:24 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose View Post
If we stink, why on earth would we ship out the veterans? We are rebuilding, no? Doesn't that by definition mean we need veterans to bring along the youth? If we just trade away our veterans, we would be back at square one. This doesn't make any sense at all.
well you certainly woundn't ship out young players in a rebuild. Veterans are valuable at the trade deadline. They'll bring back the best return. Veterans can also be replenished with free agency before the start of the next season.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 08:47 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
How about this:

Let's cross that bridge if we come to it.

09-22-2006, 08:56 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post

OR

Well first off, let me say, you guys WONT suck. You've got a lot of good young players, a lot of them finally got experience last year, and they should be ready. You've got Jagr and Shanny, as well as one of the best goalies in the league.

Now, say you DO suck, he's what I would do. Remember, I'm a Flyers fan so I don't know the Rangers as well as the Flyers.

Weekes would get shipped out for whatever player position needed. He's good trade bait because he was a solid starter and is a great backup, and I'm sure there are teams in the league that could use him. Straka would definitely get traded, as well as Kasper. Nylander, Cullen, and Jagr would stay, unless you can trade Jagr for a LOT of young players with potential. If that comes up, you have to take that, because if you're at a point where you're sucking, you need to look into rebuilding with youth.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 08:58 AM
broadwayblue

Sadly, the time to trade Jagr was last year. Don't get me wrong, I love the season he had for us...but now I just don't see it happening.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 09:26 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Sadly, the time to trade Jagr was last year. Don't get me wrong, I love the season he had for us...but now I just don't see it happening.
I don't think there's anything "Sadly" about it because, with Jagr, I think this team has a chance to win the Cup over the next two years....yeah, I said it..

Old
09-22-2006, 09:43 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
This s the first year since god knows when, that I don't think there's a chance we'll be awful.

Anyway, I thought Jagr had a "no trade" contract.
jagr does not have a no trade clause, but the only way they would think of moving him is if we were getting a young franchise player like ovechkin in return. if things went bad due to injury i could see other vets being unloaded for picks but they would keep jagr for his star power selling tickets unless they got absolutely blown away by an offer. so if injuries happened and the team tanked i could see then unloading vets on 1 year deals but not jagr...

and i agree 100% about this being the first year that you don't think the team is gonna be awful and its kind of weird. i was talking to the guy next to me at the game wed. this is the first time in as long as i can remember that i didn't go into the year either expecting the team to be terrible or even hoping that the team would be terrible to force changes. now this year you go into the year expecting the team to be good and i almost don't know how to react. i feel like i might jinx things if i get too pumped...

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 12:04 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Agreed.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 12:04 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
I don't think there's anything "Sadly" about it because, with Jagr, I think this team has a chance to win the Cup over the next two years....yeah, I said it..
Back on the pills?

Old
09-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

why the hell would you even think that way.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 12:15 PM
McDonagh27

Call me crazy... but we have as good of a chance as anyone in the east to make it to the dance (save Ottawa).. This team has everything a cup contender should have... a top 5 goalie in Henke, a top 5 player in Jagr... several key role players with playoff experience (Cullen, Ward etc) Good PK, Good PP... The only weak point is our D, but as a whole I think they matchup pretty well against the eastern powerhouses.. I wouldn't be shocked if this team won the cup in the next few years, even though I don't really see it happening... Testament to how great the turnaround has been for this team... The lockout saved this team.

McDonagh27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Back on the pills?
Well, of course, but that's immaterial.....But really, I think next years team is gonna be VERY GOOD with continued growth of youngsters and a few big pickups to compliment JAGR...And this years team won't be chopped liver either and, if the breaks go your way, you never know..Who would have picked the success of teams like the Rangers, Sabres, Ducks and Canes lst year..?

Old
09-22-2006, 12:20 PM
True Blue

Quote:
But really, I think next years team is gonna be VERY GOOD with continued growth of youngsters and a few big pickups to compliment JAGR...And this years team won't be chopped liver either and, if the breaks go your way, you never know..
I would characterize my feelings as tempered enthusiasm. I think that there is a good chance that it will unfold as you said, but we all know what happens when you make too many ***-u-mptions.

Old
09-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

The team is a Stanley Cup contender....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I would characterize my feelings as tempered enthusiasm. I think that there is a good chance that it will unfold as you said, but we all know what happens when you make too many ***-u-mptions.
True indeed...WHile I agree that there are some things to be concerned about (the defense, for one) it has the possibilities of being both an exciting and good team...As many have said before, it's been about 8 years or more since I felt pretty good about this team going into the season

Old
09-22-2006, 01:06 PM
True Blue

Quote:
As many have said before, it's been about 8 years or more since I felt pretty good about this team going into the season
Throughout the last decade, I rememer feeling good/positive a few times, just to have the rug pulled out from under my feet. And yet, this year it just feels different.

Old
09-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Edge

I think you have to view the team as having a very good chance of fighting for that cup.

However stranger things have happened, but this team SHOULD be right in that mix. If they aren't than it's nothing short of a giant disappointment.

I am sensing this team will need one maybe two deals at the deadline. Obviously not totally sure what it'll be, but I have a feeling (like most contending teams) it will have certain needs to be addressed.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 01:22 PM
bathgate

Hope all you posters are correct. However, let's look at the pessimistic view. Jagr and Nylander do not duplicate last year. Jagr for health reasons and Nylander for age reasons. Henke,though I strongly doubt it, has a mediocre year. The average defense is well... average or less than average. The work ethic is not as good as last year.I'm hopeful but still cynical. HENKE WILL BE THE KEY TO OUR YEAR.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote