HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Canadiens congratulates Ilves of Finnish League

Old
09-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Phenomenon

vCash: 500
Montreal Canadiens congratulates Ilves of Finnish League

"My" team Ilves celebrates its 75th anniversary next Saturday as one of the most traditional hockey teams in Finland. It has won the most championship and produced lots of legends in Finnish hockey. Sometimes it has been called "The Canadiens of Finland" due to its traditions and success.

Montreal Canadiens has sent Ilves congratulations via a letter. Thank you very much for that. It was a really nice gesture and shows what a true hockey club you are.

The letter will be framed and shown to fans in our anniversary game. http://www.ilveshockey.fi/uutinen220906.php

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 11:34 AM
The CUBE

to the Ilves franchise for being able to build such a solid franchise. This also shows that the Candiens are a class act for recognizing it even though it's located in Finland.

The CUBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 11:35 AM
The CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenon View Post
"My" team Ilves celebrates its 75th anniversary next Saturday as one of the most traditional hockey teams in Finland. It has won the most championship and produced lots of legends in Finnish hockey. Sometimes it has been called "The Canadiens of Finland" due to its traditions and success.

Montreal Canadiens has sent Ilves congratulations via a letter. Thank you very much for that. It was a really nice gesture and shows what a true hockey club you are.

The letter will be framed and shown to fans in our anniversary game. http://www.ilveshockey.fi/uutinen220906.php
Can you translate what is written in the letter?

Thanks.

The CUBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Transported Upstater

Very classy move by the Habs.

And Finnish is one of the world's coolest languages...

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 11:49 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Congrats to Ilves on 75 years.

On a side note I noticed eurohockey.net listed Karpat as the favorite to win the league this year. If they do it would be the 7th league title for former Habs pick Mikkola, impressive.

Also in the SEL they picked Farjestad to win the SEL, so the only 2 prospects we have in the two leagues are picked to win their respective leagues.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 12:12 PM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
Happy 75 th!

L'abstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Montrealer

Congratulations, Ilves!!

Montrealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 12:43 PM
22SteveBegin22

Congratulations to Ilves

Though I have to say that is one of the funniest looking sports logos I've ever seen. It looks like a confused lion, as if something or someone just hit him in the head and he looked around but couldn't figure out who/what it was, so now he's scared and a little freaked out.

22SteveBegin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Id also like to have a translation of the letter , Congratulations to the Ilves for these impressive achievments.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Phenomenon

First of all the link was to the news, so I don't exactly know yet what was written in the letter. I will try to check it out tomorrow in the arena.

Secondly the logo is Siberian Lynx (Lynx Lynx) - the only wild big cat that still exists in Finland.
http://www.tunturisusi.com/ilves/

Old
09-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
These Lynx looks good , i hope they are proctected.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

and to the Habs for their class

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Anthony P

Congratulations on the 75th anniversary!

Anthony P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Habs13

I've always wanted to goto Finland... one day! And when I do, I'll wear my Koivu jersey everywhere!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 05:19 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:

Really? that's cool

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Congrats to Ilves on 75 years.

On a side note I noticed eurohockey.net listed Karpat as the favorite to win the league this year. If they do it would be the 7th league title for former Habs pick Mikkola, impressive.

Also in the SEL they picked Farjestad to win the SEL, so the only 2 prospects we have in the two leagues are picked to win their respective leagues.
Well, seems like those experts were wrong. Kärpät seem to be having off-year, havent done too well after their top three defenceman (Kukkonen/Hawks, Lehtonen/Preds, Vallin/Panthers) and starting goaltender (Bäckström/Wild) left to pursue their NHL careers. Their replacements havent been that good.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 12:26 AM
varjo

Well, in other news Ilves just recently took away C from their long time captain for some stupid actions done in the last minutes of one game. And guess to whom the coach gave the C...to a player who has also been the captain of the Ilves's biggest rival Tappara (Habs<->Leafs controversy)

So basically its like Carbo would take Koivu's C away and give it to some ex-Laffs-player.
Not that classy...But they did gave back the C to it rightful yet almost senile owner after one game.

varjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 05:04 AM
Phenomenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by varjo View Post
Well, in other news Ilves just recently took away C from their long time captain for some stupid actions done in the last minutes of one game. And guess to whom the coach gave the C...to a player who has also been the captain of the Ilves's biggest rival Tappara (Habs<->Leafs controversy)

So basically its like Carbo would take Koivu's C away and give it to some ex-Laffs-player.
Not that classy...But they did gave back the C to it rightful yet almost senile owner after one game.
And your point was what?

Whereas there are fans and teams abroad capable of classy moves in these kind of situations, it is sad to see that our own countrymen don't have the same respect to long-time work, traditions and legends. Embarrassing.

<- "The senile owner" of C (http://www.raipe.fi/tilastot.htm)

Old
09-23-2006, 05:51 AM
Uppercorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by varjo View Post
almost senile owner after one game.

What a loser you are.

Here´s more up to date statistics of the senile C:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...pid%5B%5D=6357

Uppercorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 07:29 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppercorner View Post
What a loser you are.

Here´s more up to date statistics of the senile C:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...pid%5B%5D=6357
Wow, I own that guy in my 86-87 retro fantasy league

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 01:39 PM
yvresgyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
I've always wanted to goto Finland... one day! And when I do, I'll wear my Koivu jersey everywhere!
Hehe I just moved to Tampere 5 months ago... And I do wear my Habs jersey of the Captain quite often. Although my jersey is from another era's captain, Good Ol' Redhead Manitoban Mike Keane!!
I have a jersey of Koivu but it's with TPS-Turku. You do not wear a TPS jersey in Tampere. No sir.

Very nice to see some Tamperelainen on the Habs board!

I was wondering which team to cheer for in town. Tappara's jersey makes much more sense, but I try to go beyond the uniform. One of my colleagues is friends with Tomi Hirvonen and alumni Toskala and that could have shifted my allegiance but now that I know who the "Habs of Finland" are, count me in as the newest Ilves fan out of Amuri!!

And if any of you see a long-haired fella with a Mike Keane shirt on walking the Finlayson district or at Hakametsä, don't hesitate to say Hi!!

And Congrats the 75 years!!!

yvresgyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Powerforward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22 View Post
Though I have to say that is one of the funniest looking sports logos I've ever seen. It looks like a confused lion, as if something or someone just hit him in the head and he looked around but couldn't figure out who/what it was, so now he's scared and a little freaked out.
LOL Steve, I had great laughs from your comment. Now allow me to tell you what hit the "lion".

It is the double bladed battle axe that hit the Lynx and made him freak out. This weapon, originating from ancient Greece I beleive, has also made it's mark in Finnish icehockey.

Yes, it is the local rival team Tappara (directly translated as double axe, or perhaps battle axe), which celebrated their 50th birthday last season and has been more succesful than Ilves ever since.

Hit a Lynx with that, and it will certainly look "funny" afterwards.

Powerforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 02:36 PM
P-M Bouchard

Quote:
so I don't exactly know yet what was written in the letter. I will try to check it out tomorrow in the arena.
Did you?

P-M Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 02:44 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Congrats to the Ilves for your 75th anniversary. I also want to thank Toronto for Ilves goalie Tuukka Rask.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Phenomenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-M Bouchard View Post
Did you?
Sorry - could not find it. It was said to be seen in Ilves Shop, but I saw nothing.