HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I was thinking big goons fit in that last. Not the type of guys I want but it seems as if there may be a need. I'd rather we have a couple of goons fight instead of half of our team.
Nobody plays differently when Orr is on the ice. Pure goons literally do nothing.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
So who replaces all those players?

Armstrong I'm indifferent, at times he is an asset other times he isn't. Moen I think if you move him then you have to turn around and pay as much if not more to replace him with a similar player. If you replace him with a goon then you put more stress on your top guys on defensive/PK assignments. As much as Moen isn't at the same level he was last year, his play or cap hit isn't costing us games.
I think a guy like Torres would cost less then Moen. If someone wants to take Moen off our hands I say do it.

I also think one of Gio or DD has to go. 3 top 9 forwards 5'9 or under doesn't work. Gionta would be the easier trade but I'd rather see DD go.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:58 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Nobody plays differently when Orr is on the ice. Pure goons literally do nothing.
Yet, NHL players, past and present disagree with you...

Old
05-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Draft

I really hope Montreal commits to this rebuild. Our team can't be built around Plekanec and Markov any more. I know it wouldn't be a happy time without Plekanec, the team depends on him for a lot. Unfortunately the team can't rely on complimentary players to be successful. It's time to blow up the old core (Markov, Plekanec, Gionta, Gorges*) and move on. Sell high and buy low (picks and prospects). We may have another bad year but it could mean big things for our future.

Desharnais has shown an ability to support a top line. By no means is he our ideal top-line centre but he can keep the team afloat. I know we all dislike him but, he has proven he can be a stop-gap at the very least. We need to move our sights from this year and next and work to be a powerhouse team for the future.

Plekanec and Markov could render huge returns that could set the team up for years.

Are we too impatient to commit to it? Is it too risky? Is it necessary?

Old
05-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I really hope Montreal commits to this rebuild. Our team can't be built around Plekanec and Markov any more. I know it wouldn't be a happy time without Plekanec, the team depends on him for a lot. Unfortunately the team can't rely on complimentary players to be successful. It's time to blow up the old core (Markov, Plekanec, Gionta, Gorges*) and move on. Sell high and buy low (picks and prospects). We may have another bad year but it could mean big things for our future.

Desharnais has shown an ability to support a top line. By no means is he our ideal top-line centre but he can keep the team afloat. I know we all dislike him but, he has proven he can be a stop-gap at the very least. We need to move our sights from this year and next and work to be a powerhouse team for the future.

Plekanec and Markov could render huge returns that could set the team up for years.

If you want to have a hidden agenda maybe you should change your username?

Plekanec and Markov are good complementary players on what is already a good team. The team needs to add more and develop more, move from 2nd to 1st. Next season. As a goal, anyway. Blowing it up is so 2012.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:09 PM
The Nightman

Quote:

Hai guyz, Lets rebuild after finishing 2nd!

Old
05-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

Plekanec and Markov are good complementary players on what is already a good team. The team needs to add more and develop more, move from 2nd to 1st. Next season. As a goal, anyway. Blowing it up is so 2012.
You caught me

I just don't think that this year's version of the team can sustain being so successful in an 82-game season. Only throwing Plekanec out there to stir the pot. At the very least, I'd like to see Gionta and Markov moved at the deadline whether we are in the playoffs or not. It could mean the difference between struggling to make the playoffs in five years or being a top-flight team in a few years if it's good picks or prospects coming back. If we're going to do a rebuild I hope we do it right. You don't get a lot of chances to develop a team like this.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABbiest View Post
Hai guyz, Lets rebuild after finishing 2nd!
I can haz openyuns mkay? I merely want to continue the rebuild and move forward with the next group of players.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Habitant le colon

Shall we try to trade with Phoenix ?! Martin Hanzal and Radim Vrbata what would they cost ?

Old
05-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
You caught me

I just don't think that this year's version of the team can sustain being so successful in an 82-game season. Only throwing Plekanec out there to stir the pot. At the very least, I'd like to see Gionta and Markov moved at the deadline whether we are in the playoffs or not. It could mean the difference between struggling to make the playoffs in five years or being a top-flight team in a few years if it's good picks or prospects coming back. If we're going to do a rebuild I hope we do it right. You don't get a lot of chances to develop a team like this.
You can't have a team full of guys that are less than 25 years old. You need good veterans. Markov and Plekanec lead by example.

It's obvious to me that Pleks should stay for the long run. His production will start to dimish at the same time as Galchenyuk's and Eller'S will increase. So he will see a slight decrease in icetime and responsibilities every year until he becomes our 3rd line shutdown center towards the end of his contract.

The fact that he can do anything (shutdown, PP, PK, offensive production) and that every coach he had has said that he's a player they love because he will do everything that's asked of him plays in his favor.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure what DD's role on the team would be when Eller and Galchenyuk become our 2 first center and get most if not all the PP time. To me, DD has to move to wing or he should be traded.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:02 PM
le_sean

The number one priority should be to get a defenceman that can get to the puck first and take a hit to make the play.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:04 PM
yianik

Despite what happened at seasons end and in this series, I don't see MB making huge overhauls, MB is cautious and we finished 2nd in the East. I looked at the forward lines and left off the 3 UFA guys we have in Ryder, Halpern and Army and then tried to build the best lines I could. I wanted to make sure no line was overly small and that each line had a guy who could effectively play in the tough areas. My lines

Bourque Pleks Gio
Galchenyuk Eller Gallagher
Patches DD Prust
Moen White X

Prust really helped the young guys earlier in the year. On this line he would be the guy going to the net and bringing a lot of physical play. Hopefully that style would motivate of embarras Patches to get with it .Thing is Prust is very limited offensively and Id be shocked if he could pot 10 goals.
Looking at the lines and how his play has really tailed off, I don't see Ryder as part of the mix. I really do think we need another Bourque like guy or a better offensive Prust. Some UFAs have been thrown around but a guy like Bickell to me wouldn't be much of an upgrade on Prust, and Bickell isn't at all consistent. Stahlberg is big and fast but no real physical game. All signs to me point to Clarkson. Clarkson is just average sized but is nasty and hits, hes a very physical player and will go to the dirty areas. Unlike Clowe, Clarkson had a good year this year in terms of production, he would have scored about 25 goals over a full season. As a bonus the guy also fights quite a bit, and hes good at it. Prust then drops to the 4th line. If we don't get Clarkson, which is highly likely, then unless MB thinks Clowe can still do it for 4-5 years, we should just put the wallet away and look at making a trade for this type of player. We shouldn't settle.
I wouldn't mind keeping Halpern as an extra, he is cheap, one year is all he can hope for. is solid defensively and great at the PK, and of course is very good at face-offs, right handed at that. Don't know about Army, even if we play Prust on the top 9. Someone nastier would be nice.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

Im not sure i want 5-6 million dollar complementary players. Thos players better be your core.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Andy

Game-breaking forward is what this team needs. No killer instinct. You score that 3rd goal and the Sens don't come back.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
The number one priority should be to get a defenceman that can get to the puck first and take a hit to make the play.
The numer one priority should be to get one or two big shutdown D that can prevent the Turris of this world to create havoc in the blue paint and let Price do his job.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

oop wrong thread

Old
05-07-2013, 11:23 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
The numer one priority should be to get one or two big shutdown D that can prevent the Turris of this world to create havoc in the blue paint and let Price do his job.
Flyers need a PMD bad, their only guy is 38 and a UFA after next season. What about Diaz for either Grossman or Coburn ?

Old
05-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Flyers need a PMD bad, their only guy is 38 and a UFA after next season. What about Diaz for either Grossman or Coburn ?
I'd do that. Not sure the Flyers would though...

Old
05-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Fans aren't thinking straight after tonight's loss, hopefully management is. Need to add strength , toughness front end and back end. It's going to take a while.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Habitant le colon

let's tank next year to build !!

Old
05-08-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
Shall we try to trade with Phoenix ?! Martin Hanzal and Radim Vrbata what would they cost ?
No. Need bigger, stronger, tougher players.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:04 AM
SaskRinkRat

Yep. Bryan Bickell should be the Habs #1 UFA target this offseason.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Despite what happened at seasons end and in this series, I don't see MB making huge overhauls, MB is cautious and we finished 2nd in the East. I looked at the forward lines and left off the 3 UFA guys we have in Ryder, Halpern and Army and then tried to build the best lines I could. I wanted to make sure no line was overly small and that each line had a guy who could effectively play in the tough areas. My lines

Bourque Pleks Gio
Galchenyuk Eller Gallagher
Patches DD Prust
Moen White X

Prust really helped the young guys earlier in the year. On this line he would be the guy going to the net and bringing a lot of physical play. Hopefully that style would motivate of embarras Patches to get with it .Thing is Prust is very limited offensively and Id be shocked if he could pot 10 goals.
Looking at the lines and how his play has really tailed off, I don't see Ryder as part of the mix. I really do think we need another Bourque like guy or a better offensive Prust. Some UFAs have been thrown around but a guy like Bickell to me wouldn't be much of an upgrade on Prust, and Bickell isn't at all consistent. Stahlberg is big and fast but no real physical game. All signs to me point to Clarkson. Clarkson is just average sized but is nasty and hits, hes a very physical player and will go to the dirty areas. Unlike Clowe, Clarkson had a good year this year in terms of production, he would have scored about 25 goals over a full season. As a bonus the guy also fights quite a bit, and hes good at it. Prust then drops to the 4th line. If we don't get Clarkson, which is highly likely, then unless MB thinks Clowe can still do it for 4-5 years, we should just put the wallet away and look at making a trade for this type of player. We shouldn't settle.
I wouldn't mind keeping Halpern as an extra, he is cheap, one year is all he can hope for. is solid defensively and great at the PK, and of course is very good at face-offs, right handed at that. Don't know about Army, even if we play Prust on the top 9. Someone nastier would be nice.
We'll get a high draft pick in 2014 with this crap lineup.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:20 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Game-breaking forward is what this team needs. No killer instinct. You score that 3rd goal and the Sens don't come back.
Or if you have an elite goalie who can pull an elite save out of his arse once in a while.

Stonewalling an opponent is as good as piling on the goals.

I thought we had a game breaking player in nets. How is that working for us?

Gionta
Markov
Price
Pleks

and maybe we could include Patches in that list.

Are all paid big bucks. The only one who showed up for the playoffs was Pleks.

It's not one game breaking player that we need. In the off season we need to look at those 5 players and decide if we can win with them. And if we decide we can't well then we need to make some changes. Not all 5 but at least two or three.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Or if you have an elite goalie who can pull an elite save out of his arse once in a while.

Stonewalling an opponent is as good as piling on the goals.

I thought we had a game breaking player in nets. How is that working for us?

Gionta
Markov
Price
Pleks

and maybe we could include Patches in that list.

Are all paid big bucks. The only one who showed up for the playoffs was Pleks.

It's not one game breaking player that we need. In the off season we need to look at those 5 players and decide if we can win with them. And if we decide we can't well then we need to make some changes. Not all 5 but at least two or three.
You're right. We lost because of Price. The change is so simple.

Closed Thread