HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good conversations between Nino + NYI

Old
05-07-2013, 04:19 PM
kasper11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
five words I am relieved to hear/read. When a fan is willing to let a kid become a man, we have a chance. When a kid types, "let's see what he can do/he's done all he could at that level/he was great in camp, so..../he's better than Boyes," I see someone trying hard to ruin a young player's development.

Well, through magic internet powers.

Maybe someone all gung ho to bring up Reinhart can read the above statement and focus on the word, "ready."

A soufflé is always best when it's done. Think about that fact a bit.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the "let's see what he can do" scenario IF the player has earned that right either in camp or in the AHL.

Most teams have no problem bringing up young players. Chicago gave Brandon Saad and Andrew Shaw a chance and they ran with it and helped the team to the best record in hockey. LA won a Cup with Drew Doughty and Kyle Clifford, neither of whom spent a day in the AHL. Montreal had a great season thanks in large part to Alex Galchenyuk at 18 years old. Boston put Tyler Seguin into the lineup as an 18 year old and won the Cup. This year they kept 19 year old Dougie Hamilton. Anaheim let Cam Fowler play as an 18 year old, and they finished with the 2nd best record in the West.

There is no way to know who is ready and who isn't. That is why the NHL has the 10 game rule, to let teams figure it out. The problem is when players are outright handed a spot like Bailey and Nino were.

Brandon Saad is the perfect example. Chicago liked what they saw in camp after his draft year, kept him up for a couple of games, let him see what the game was like, and then sent him back down when it was clear they didn't have a role for him. He came back this year and earned another chance based on his AHL play, they gave him a shot and he took it and ran with it. It didn't matter that he was only 20 years old.

And for the record, I am nowhere near convinced that bringing up a player too early ruins their development. Seems to me that guys like Bailey and Nino are producing at about the levels we would expect.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 04:22 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I know everyone likes to pretend that there is an exact science to developing players, but in reality it's evaluating where a player is at, whether you think they can adapt to the speed, strength and skill of the NHL, and then ultimately taking the risk of actually giving them a shot.

I know everyone, not just OTH, likes to bring up Detroit and how they develop guys the right way, but the only time I remember them having a top-5 pick(Steve Yzerman, 4th overall) they brought him straight to the NHL. We currently have 3 former top-5 picks in our system.

Even Lidstrom only had to wait 2 years. Fedorov waited one. Neither of them were even 1st rounders.

The fact is, top-5 picks generally don't need more than 2 years of seasoning before cracking an NHL lineup. Just from looking at that 2011 draft, out of that entire top-10, all but 2 prospects are not only NHLers, but solid/key contributors to their respective teams this season. RNH, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Larsson, Zibanejad, Couturier, Hamilton, Brodin. One has already won the ROY and is an NHL Captain(Landeskog); One is a ROY candidate this year(Huberdeau); One went to the Stanley Cup Finals last year(Larsson); One helped his team advance in the playoffs last year(Couturier); One is currently a bonafide top line center(RNH); and the other 3 are currently playing for playoff teams(Zib,Hamilton,Brodin).

Based on the stats, I wouldn't rule Strome out for next season... much less a kid like Nino.
Excellent post. As a comparison for Strome, an extreme case on the positive side is Skinner, even though he mostly plays wing. Drafted 7th overall in 2010, the kid joins the big club immediately and pots 31G and 32A in 82 games and is a plus player. He had great chemistry with Jokinen and Ruutu and took home the Calder. (hard not to wonder what if - if the Isles took Skinner at 5 instead of Nino and had 3 impact seasons of service already...but, i know i know)

Strome has 2 inches on Skinner but is about 10/15 pounds lighter. He's had extra time and has dominated at all levels. Bulk up Ryan and l hope to see you on JT's wing to start your career and learn the NHL game. If we don't see both Strome and Nino next year I'd be very surprised - which affects us going after free agent forwards - probably won't happen.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 04:53 PM
DPSNAGS

IMO, the way snow has been developing this team, No one will be traded from this roster. We have a solid core and IMO, Garth will sprinkle in Nino, Strome, Nelson into our lineup over the next 2 years for our offense. I dont believe any of these guys will be traded until they have a real shot with the club. With Reinhart/Donovan in the wings i think we do have a nice top 6 waiting but if im Garth, I'd buyout DP and sign a top 4 UFA defenseman and let this team grow.

Reasoner can walk...Aucoin can be a depth guy again IMO

I think it is more likely we throw some money around in the F/A market than we make a trade. I dont know what the market is for top 4 defenseman but i think that would be Garth preferred move. Adding without losing anything (but Wangs $) is better than Adding through Subtracting

DPSNAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 05:33 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMimagery View Post
Excellent post. As a comparison for Strome, an extreme case on the positive side is Skinner, even though he mostly plays wing. Drafted 7th overall in 2010, the kid joins the big club immediately and pots 31G and 32A in 82 games and is a plus player. He had great chemistry with Jokinen and Ruutu and took home the Calder. (hard not to wonder what if - if the Isles took Skinner at 5 instead of Nino and had 3 impact seasons of service already...but, i know i know)

Strome has 2 inches on Skinner but is about 10/15 pounds lighter. He's had extra time and has dominated at all levels. Bulk up Ryan and l hope to see you on JT's wing to start your career and learn the NHL game. If we don't see both Strome and Nino next year I'd be very surprised - which affects us going after free agent forwards - probably won't happen.
I really like Skinner, but the concussion issues scare me. I do think Nino could still end up being the better player, even if Skinner remains healthy. Nino's upside is ridiculously high. Especially if his future is on Tavares' wing.

As far as Strome's size goes, I actually am pretty pleased with where he's at right now. From what I've heard he's around 6'1 190(maybe a few pounds shy), which is a good weight for a kid with his playing style. I don't know if I would want him to get much higher than that if it means he'll lose some quickness. I think Bailey is basically the exact same height/weight, and he seems to be holding his own physically.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Islesfaninjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastrt View Post
Nelson if somebody gets hurt
Not sure where in the world you based that on. Nelson is WAAAYYY farther in his development than Strome. Should we give players the roster spot because they earned it or because they were a better pick?

Strome got something like 2 goals in 10 games in first pro experience. Nelson played the entire season and got 28-30 and was consistently one of their best players.

It's only opinion, but it certainly looks like Nelson could be our number 2 center next season, with strome becoming a winger eventually.

Then Neilsen can be # 3 center where he might really flourish

Islesfaninjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:55 AM
Beastrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfaninjax View Post
Not sure where in the world you based that on. Nelson is WAAAYYY farther in his development than Strome. Should we give players the roster spot because they earned it or because they were a better pick?

Strome got something like 2 goals in 10 games in first pro experience. Nelson played the entire season and got 28-30 and was consistently one of their best players.

It's only opinion, but it certainly looks like Nelson could be our number 2 center next season, with strome becoming a winger eventually.

Then Neilsen can be # 3 center where he might really flourish
You could be right i think out of nelson, nino, strome, and lee 2 out of the 4 will make the team. It really gonna depends how they play in training camp. Nelson is more of a capuano type player, he can do it all well. Strome and nino i think will make the team because they will really help the powerplay and help on Jt's line. We shall see.

Beastrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:17 AM
Belenos

4th goal by Nino at the WC.

Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:42 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
Thanks for the updates.

Will a strong performance in this tournament, pretty much guarantee Nino a spot on the Swiss Olympic team?

Or does he need a good start, to the 2013-2014 season ?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:48 AM
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Thanks for the updates.

Will a strong performance in this tournament, pretty much guarantee Nino a spot on the Swiss Olympic team?

Or does he need a good start, to the 2013-2014 season ?
He's still goint to have to play well during the season to get a spot on the team.

SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 08:03 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Aside from the goal, how has he played today?

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Belenos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Aside from the goal, how has he played today?
Physical, some nice passes and two good shots. But he still remains THE GUY in front of the net. Opponents can't handle him there.

Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:42 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Physical, some nice passes and two good shots. But he still remains THE GUY in front of the net. Opponents can't handle him there.
Nice, I'm glad Nino knows that he'll make his career by going to the net. He's having a good tourney for a surprising Swiss team. His confidence should be sky high right now and that can only be a good thing for training camp.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:54 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Nice, I'm glad Nino knows that he'll make his career by going to the net. He's having a good tourney for a surprising Swiss team. His confidence should be sky high right now and that can only be a good thing for training camp.

Like Okposo, Nino's play is quieting his critics. I was glad to see him show maturity in the recent article, refusing to get drawn into making negative statements or demands.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:59 PM
CREW99AW

http://www.iihf.com/competition/352/...ash=f59752d379
“I had a strong season in the AHL and had lot of confidence there and it went pretty well for me here, but every player looks great when the team is winning,” Niederreiter said.

“I played a lot of minutes in the AHL and like that I was able to score goals. I was a little bit disappointed that I wasn’t called to play in the NHL but was mentally prepared for each situation,” Niederreiter said.

“I hope I can play for the Isles next year and I’ll do everything I can to be on the team, but right now I focus on the World Championship.”

Old
05-11-2013, 01:05 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
http://www.iihf.com/competition/352/...ash=f59752d379
“I had a strong season in the AHL and had lot of confidence there and it went pretty well for me here, but every player looks great when the team is winning,” Niederreiter said.

“I played a lot of minutes in the AHL and like that I was able to score goals. I was a little bit disappointed that I wasn’t called to play in the NHL but was mentally prepared for each situation,” Niederreiter said.

“I hope I can play for the Isles next year and I’ll do everything I can to be on the team, but right now I focus on the World Championship.”
Well, it seems like all the drama is behind him now. He knows what he needs to do to make the team next year, I think he's going to train hard and start to develop his man strength pretty soon. Good for him.

Old
05-11-2013, 08:01 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
I like seeing this but I wanna know....is he taking bodies along the boards and in open ice? Is he getting back on coverage? I don't want him to peak as Brad Isbister v2.0.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote