HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good Restaurant

Old
05-04-2013, 09:53 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

vCash: 500
Tres Carnales has to be mentioned. I just wish they'd turn the music down.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Ringo13

Not sure if anyone has brought this up, but Pampas is a pretty good bet and a great experience. Brazilian style all you can eat meat (13 different kinds last time I went). Looking at just under 50 bucks per person plus drinks.

Ringo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:23 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Bbq: Sloppy Hogs Roed Hus 118ave 104st

Italian: Chianti in Clareview, great bang for buck too.

Drift Food Truck is nice

My favorite burger is the lamb burger at Sugarbowl
I ate at both the drift food truck and sugar bowl today haha.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:47 PM
thinlizzy

Tony's used to be good when he was actually there. The thin crust pizza was awesome. A buddy and I went there a few years ago and the siblings must be running it. Average at best. Standards have slipped with quality of food and service. We went out front and were talking and guys were running drug drop offs right in the parking lot. Pass

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:12 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlizzy View Post
Tony's used to be good when he was actually there. The thin crust pizza was awesome. A buddy and I went there a few years ago and the siblings must be running it. Average at best. Standards have slipped with quality of food and service. We went out front and were talking and guys were running drug drop offs right in the parking lot. Pass
Ill second this. 20-25yrs ago, it was pretty impressive. Now, not so much.

Nello's is pretty good.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

When I come to this thread it's always places with good food either in the North end or central. What about the south?

Paralyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
When I come to this thread it's always places with good food either in the North end or central. What about the south?
As mentioned, Sicilian pasta kitchen, Vons, Bistecca, Chop are decent places to check out.

I'm partial to Continental Treat as well on Whyte but not everybodies taste. Its old school. I still like the Sawmill as well. Definite old school feel to it but I like that kind of comfort. Not todays polished places and stark lighting and design.

Upper Crust is good. Nobody ever mentions High level diner. Good menu, great location, nice atmosphere. Chiantis, once crowded, is still on Whyte, still waiting. Not what it was, but still an OK choice.
I will say this too. Restaurants go in waves. Get good, get bad, depending on who's working. People have talked about bad plate prep and horribly served vegetables. Try Sorrentinos on Gateway right about now. Best vegetable presentation and servings I've seen in years. When you get a prime seafood cut and the vegetables rule the plate its amazing. I thanked the chef 3 times for preparing the sides as they should be. Rare in Edmonton. Place was empty, go figure..

For less refined dining and good value I'll always recommend Bulgogi house. Definite hole in the wall but good food, great value.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:10 PM
millax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
I hear McDonalds is pretty good out that way...

millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:39 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Any good locally owned breakfast/brunch places in Edmonton?

I tried the 99st diner and it was about the equivalent to a Dennys.

The 9th st diner on 109st a couple of blocks south of Jasper ave was pretty good but I dont think that restaurant is around anymore.

Always nice to find a good quality breakfast place.
Someone has already mentioned Cora's, they're all over the place.

Saratoga's still make a decent Steak and Eggs. On Calgary Trail just south of The Outback and North of the Holiday Inn Express.

The Steak Out, 99th Street and 34th Ave is decent too.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:44 PM
kashirat

Cafe Amore is by far the best 'family style' italian restaurant - as good or better than piccolino's (without the crazy reservations required), il pasticcio, etc etc.

Tres Carnales is awesome as ever - have to agree with one of the posts above though, wish they would tone down the music a bit so you didn't have to yell to have a reasonable conversation.

Out south - I've heard Wing Chix is great korean.

Zaika - Best Indian buffet I've had so far.

Drift Food truck has to be mentioned - their sandwiches, especially the pork belly, is ridiculously good.

I've always really enjoyed Packrat Louie for their ribeye.

kashirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:01 PM
thinlizzy

Chianti's on Whyte Ave has gone down hill in the past few years. I ate there about a year ago and service was terrible and food was very bland tasting. The portions were decent but again food is absent of quality flavor. JMO

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:28 PM
sdimedru

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Tres Carnales has to be mentioned. I just wish they'd turn the music down.
Just an incredible place.... I think the loud music is part of the atmosphere they're trying to replicate from Mexico.

I wouldn't change a thing (other than adding a patio, and adding the lobster enchiladas to the permanent menu!)

sdimedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:30 PM
sdimedru

Has anyone tried de-Dutch on Jasper ave? I've heard good things

sdimedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 133
My favourite place to eat in the city is probably Franco's. I like supporting them because they operate only in Edmonton, and in 15 years of eating there, I have never, ever had a bad meal. Food is very reasonably priced and the pizza puts all other pizza to shame. The pasta is great as well.

As for steak, honestly my favourite place is the Keg. Coliseum steak and pizza actually has damn good steak as well, much to my surprise when I first ate there.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:23 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Ill second this. 20-25yrs ago, it was pretty impressive. Now, not so much.

Nello's is pretty good.
Yeah, Nello's is pretty good, as long as one is prepared to spend a pretty penny. Good for special occasions, no doubt, but not an average Joe's regular fare, imo. Same with Melting Pot.

For regular (ie. couple times a week) dinners out I like the mid range restaurants like Olive Garden, Earl's, Sawmill, Sorrentino's, The Keg, Chianti, etc.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:01 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post
Just an incredible place.... I think the loud music is part of the atmosphere they're trying to replicate from Mexico.

I wouldn't change a thing (other than adding a patio, and adding the lobster enchiladas to the permanent menu!)
It's just too much. I go there with my girlfriend for some authentic and delicious Mexican food, and it's so loud that we want to get out ASAP. Maybe that's what they want too; turnover. Because it's busy as hell and the lines are long at times.

But I'll keep going because it's awesome.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:09 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Yeah, Nello's is pretty good, as long as one is prepared to spend a pretty penny. Good for special occasions, no doubt, but not an average Joe's regular fare, imo. Same with Melting Pot.

For regular (ie. couple times a week) dinners out I like the mid range restaurants like Olive Garden, Earl's, Sawmill, Sorrentino's, The Keg, Chianti, etc.
I've only been to the Nello's in St Albert, but I've always felt that despite the higher price, the serving size makes up for it completely.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post
Has anyone tried de-Dutch on Jasper ave? I've heard good things
Great stuff and a bit different for a breakfast place.

Their Panenkoek are cool, basically a thin pancake loaded up with a wide range of goodies and then you roll it up and eat slices of it. It's way better than fighting the hordes to get into an IHOP or Denny's.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post

Olive Garden? Really? Sorry but to me that place is crap. The sauces taste like they came from a jar off the shelf at the grocery store. It's really fast food level food IME.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Olive Garden? Really? Sorry but to me that place is crap. The sauces taste like they came from a jar off the shelf at the grocery store. It's really fast food level food IME.
wha? Love that place! Order entrees, on eat soup, salad, and breadsticks while sitting in the restaurant, get the entrees to go, 2 meals for the price of 1!

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 05:18 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I've only been to the Nello's in St Albert, but I've always felt that despite the higher price, the serving size makes up for it completely.
Serving sizes are decent indeed, but the prices border on indecent...

Old
05-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Nellos? Pass, garbage restaurant trying to toss itself off as high priced gourmet fare. In a takeout box would be hard to distinguish from Olive Garden.

Tilipia on the menu? You freaking kidding me. I wouldn't feed this to my enemies. Tilipia, for anybody familiar with it or its habits, is the bottom feeder in the food chain fish that is suddenly being pawned off on the public as worthy even though its possibly the worst species of fish for taste one could possibly recommend.

When I went I was amazed at the simplicity of the dishes, that so much of it essentially pasta, and that an italian pasta kitchen should NEVER be expensive. Its never expensive to make. Nothing on this menu is.

rip off

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 05:53 PM
fysloc

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Nellos? Pass, garbage restaurant trying to toss itself off as high priced gourmet fare. In a takeout box would be hard to distinguish from Olive Garden.

Tilipia on the menu? You freaking kidding me. I wouldn't feed this to my enemies. Tilipia, for anybody familiar with it or its habits, is the bottom feeder in the food chain fish that is suddenly being pawned off on the public as worthy even though its possibly the worst species of fish for taste one could possibly recommend.

When I went I was amazed at the simplicity of the dishes, that so much of it essentially pasta, and that an italian pasta kitchen should NEVER be expensive. Its never expensive to make. Nothing on this menu is.

rip off
I have never seen a non expensive pasta dish. Most go for around $13, which I think is expensive though. Should only cost $8 ish.

fysloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Philly85
Moody'

I went to Oliveto's in Riverbend Square yesterday for dinner. Was pretty close to a 10... service could've been a bit better but the food was fantastic.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 06:34 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I went to Oliveto's in Riverbend Square yesterday for dinner. Was pretty close to a 10... service could've been a bit better but the food was fantastic.
It's a great little place, but I find the food hit or miss sometimes. Generally a hit, but I've had a couple pretty bad misses there, too.