HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacKinnon vs Drouin

Old
05-07-2013, 12:35 PM
AaronEkbald

vCash: 500
MacKinnon vs Drouin

Assuming both players live up to their hype in the future, which player do you think would create a more effective duo when paired with Jonathan Huberdeau? And why? Also, by "more effective", I mean more goals, assists, scoring chances, odd-man rushes, offensive zone pressure, back-checking, chemistry; which duo that would be harder to handle with both players in their prime.

A. MacKinnon / Huberdeau
B. Drouin / Huberdeau

Discuss..

Last edited by AaronEkbald: 05-07-2013 at 12:43 PM.
AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:21 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
Assuming both players live up to their hype in the future, which player do you think would create a more effective duo when paired with Jonathan Huberdeau? And why? Also, by "more effective", I mean more goals, assists, scoring chances, odd-man rushes, offensive zone pressure, back-checking, chemistry; which duo that would be harder to handle with both players in their prime.

A. MacKinnon / Huberdeau
B. Drouin / Huberdeau

Discuss..

The answer to this, without question, is Huberdeau with MacKinnon. Drouin can score, but he's more of a playmaker who needs to have the puck on his stick until the last second when he dishes it off. Huberdeau is not a pure sniper, such as a Stamkos, rather more of a playmaker as well. He certainly can score, but is as good at setting others up (or better) as anything else. MacKinnon projects as more of a shooter than Drouin, so for that reason alone, he would pair better with Huby. They could all pair up with each other to do well, but ideally, you need a great shot to pair with Huby, which is MacKinnon. You could have both Huby and Drouin on a winning team, especially on separate lines, or on the same powerplay. Juniors is a lot different, which is where the argument against this will come from. People with cite how Huby and Drouin also had great chemistry etc. but at the NHL level, they won't be toying with defenders and goalies like they did in the super series. When there's only a split second to get the shot off, I want it going from Huby to MacKinnon or vice versa, rather than from Drouin to Huby, or Huby to Drouin.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:22 PM
gudzilla

mack/huberdeau due to the easier task of finding a good winger, aswell as we have a few EVENTUAL high-end wingers in grimaldi and howden

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Panthers607
#CatsAreComing

Dale would be outta his mind if not picking Mac.

Panthers607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

There is no doubt, both combos would be AWESOME. But the right choice is MacK!

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:05 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

There is no doubt that MacKinnon completes Huberdeau, more than Drouin. Drouin is very similar to Huberdeau, while MacKinnon is a goalscorer. And the way todays NHL are going, speed is so important. And the speed of MacKinnon is unbelievable, some of the best I've seen.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Howboutthempanthers
I come in peace.

Drouin won't have the time and space to pull off those dangles in the NHL. And he doesn't have a power game or blazing speed to fall back on. MacK all the way. Drouin is a good player and will put up a lot of points with Stamkos, but that doesn't mean the Panthers would have been better off choosing him over MacKinnon.

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:51 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 37500
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1416177

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Chino Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dej View Post
mack/huberdeau due to the easier task of finding a good winger, aswell as we have a few EVENTUAL high-end wingers in grimaldi and howden
Don't think Howden is looked as a future "high-end" winger and from what we have seen so far, that is accurate. Third, maybe second line at best.

Grimaldi maybe, if his 5'-6" frame holds up and he can somehow be effective at the NHL level. One would hope he can do it like Theo Fleury did.

Chino Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 04:16 PM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chino Oscar View Post
Don't think Howden is looked as a future "high-end" winger and from what we have seen so far, that is accurate. Third, maybe second line at best.

Grimaldi maybe, if his 5'-6" frame holds up and he can somehow be effective at the NHL level. One would hope he can do it like Theo Fleury did.
sure, but thats also why i said EVENTUAL

howden might take longer to develop, but he can skate and create stuff to become a top6 forward. howden have played with horrible players all year and he got close multiple times. think its as much confidence as anything, i like him. he+mack+huberdeau would be a fast&skilled line

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 05:07 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Mac and Huby for me. I know the whole top line center thing has been played to death by me, but I will reiterate it again...the only way this team is going to find a top line center is via the draft. An elite top line center is probably the hardest position to fill, evident by us not having one in our 20 year history. Mac has all the tools to become an elite centerman, and his finishing ability is exactly what a playmaker like Huberdeau needs. You pair those two with a grittier, meat and potatoes guy (as Lindsay says), and you have the making of a very successful top line. Even if Huby was more of a sniper, I would still go with Mac, because again, those top line centers are a b!tch to find. Just the thought of having two 70+ point players on the same team, let alone the same line, gives me goose bumps.

Howden would be a good choice to play with those two. Not only would his speed, paired with MacKinnon's, be such a tough matchup, but both he and Mac seem to be good two way players. I thought Howden's forechecking was very good this year, and with that much speed and awareness on that line, you can take more chances offensively, without giving up much defensively. But for the time being, if we were to draft Mac, I would love to see Bergy paired with them, because I see him as the perfect compliment to those two, mainly because he is an agitator, and drives the nets relentlessly.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 05:12 PM
PanthersHockey1
The Ring of Fire

Mackinnon. But i'll tell you what when it comes time to fantasy draft next year and drouin is wearing a tampa sweater, you better believe I'll be looking for him in the draft. Crazy to think that offense is adding another gifted weapon.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
Mackinnon. But i'll tell you what when it comes time to fantasy draft next year and drouin is wearing a tampa sweater, you better believe I'll be looking for him in the draft. Crazy to think that offense is adding another gifted weapon.
I won't be scared of them until they have solid defense and goaltending. They had the 3rd best offense in the league and it didn't help them one bit.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 05:57 PM
PanthersHockey1
The Ring of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I won't be scared of them until they have solid defense and goaltending. They had the 3rd best offense in the league and it didn't help them one bit.
I agree with you, but drouin paired with stamkos is a fantasy hockey dream. He will get a ton of points.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:25 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
#CatsAreComing

MacKinnon is the easy choice since we have a player similar to Drouin in Huberdeau. It's going to be absolutely sick seeing them play together for years to come. I hate that Drouin will likely going to Tampa because he should thrive there. It's exactly the kind of player that they need for the future on offense once Lecavalier and St. Louis retire.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:26 PM
coopdaloop123

Mackinnon by a landslide, him and Huberdeau as the Panthers' 1-2 punch for the next 10 years would be outstanding. Mack's scoring ability from the center position would help Huberdeau flourish more as a facilitator and the two would see a linked rise to stardom.

coopdaloop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 11:05 PM
AaronEkbald

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
MacKinnon is the easy choice since we have a player similar to Drouin in Huberdeau. It's going to be absolutely sick seeing them play together for years to come. I hate that Drouin will likely going to Tampa because he should thrive there. It's exactly the kind of player that they need for the future on offense once Lecavalier and St. Louis retire.
It's not necesarilly a bad thing that they will likely draft Drouin and get better. The FLA / TB rivalry doesn't mean anything unless both teams are consistently good. Hopefully, Tallon's plan comes to fruition sooner than later and you know TB will always have a shot at the playoffs with a player like Stamkos on the roster for lot's of years. Maybe we can be the east coast version of LA and Anaheim.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Madhatter73

Florida would benefit most from MacKinnon and Tampa would definitely benefit more from Drouin.

Hubby is a phenomenal playmaker with a great shot and MacKinnon is the finisher this team desperately needs.

Drouin is a superb playmaker with a scoring touch. Him sharing a line with Stamkos makes a VERY nasty pairing for a LONG time.

Those two additions should tighten the new division up quite a bit.

Going to be fun to watch these kids grow...

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:35 AM
p9ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
Drouin won't have the time and space to pull off those dangles in the NHL. And he doesn't have a power game or blazing speed to fall back on.
So basically, the same things that were said about Huberdeau.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 03:58 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
Florida would benefit most from MacKinnon and Tampa would definitely benefit more from Drouin.

Hubby is a phenomenal playmaker with a great shot and MacKinnon is the finisher this team desperately needs.

Drouin is a superb playmaker with a scoring touch. Him sharing a line with Stamkos makes a VERY nasty pairing for a LONG time.

Those two additions should tighten the new division up quite a bit.

Going to be fun to watch these kids grow...
Being in this new division is definitely going to be a challenge early on, but once our top prospects get settled in, I feel we will be able to compete for one of those top three spots. Im just happy we arent in the other division, which I certainly think is the toughest of the two.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:16 AM
Howboutthempanthers
I come in peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
Ha. Well played sir. But I still Mac would be a better fit for the Panthers since we have no #1 center.

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:31 AM
King Mapes
HF's King

Leafs fan here but Mooseheads fan as well,

How good is Huberdeau in his own end? Makes a big difference as Mac is much better in that aspect. Drouin has more offensive skill and his hockey IQ is through the roof. Mac is still good offensively but can play at both ends. I think Drouin fits in more with Tampa, given he's a LW and Mack might fit in better in Florida

King Mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:12 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Leafs fan here but Mooseheads fan as well,

How good is Huberdeau in his own end? Makes a big difference as Mac is much better in that aspect. Drouin has more offensive skill and his hockey IQ is through the roof. Mac is still good offensively but can play at both ends. I think Drouin fits in more with Tampa, given he's a LW and Mack might fit in better in Florida
Thanks. Think Mac will be our pick for all the reasons mentioned, plus our need for top center.

05-08-2013, 08:49 AM
PanthersHockey1
The Ring of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
I strongly believe that given the right linemates huderdeau can consistently be a 20 + 40 guy.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:33 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
It's not necesarilly a bad thing that they will likely draft Drouin and get better. The FLA / TB rivalry doesn't mean anything unless both teams are consistently good. Hopefully, Tallon's plan comes to fruition sooner than later and you know TB will always have a shot at the playoffs with a player like Stamkos on the roster for lot's of years. Maybe we can be the east coast version of LA and Anaheim.
I see and agree with what you're saying. Pretty much throughout both teams lifespans, both have been successful at different times, which is why besides in maybe the mid-late 90s, the rivalry hasn't spawned much. I just wish the rivalry would brew without the Lightning being successful since I can't stand them, but a playoff matchup between the two teams would be nuts I'm sure.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote