HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Blashill: Future Red Wings Coach?

Old
05-07-2013, 05:29 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

vCash: 500
Jeff Blashill: Future Red Wings Coach?

With all the speculation of Babcock's time coming to an end in Detroit, Jeff Blashill has become a very intriguing prospect.

Blashill began his coaching career in 1999 as an assistant for his alma mater Ferris State, where he played goalie for four years during his college career. At FSU he played a major role in recruiting and developing the 2002-03 CCHA Championship team. 

After three seasons at Ferris he joined Miami University in 2002 as an assistant coach. In Miami Jeff was part of four NCAA Tournament teams, including the 2005-2006 CCHA Championship team and the 2006-07 and 2007-08 Elite Eight teams. Blashill excelled while recruiting in Miami: recruiting three Hobey Baker Finalists, four CCHA All-Rookies and 11 first or second team All-CCHA players. By this time it was obvious Blashill had a keen eye for young talent.

In 2008, after six successful years as an assistant in Miami, Blashill was named head coach and general manager of the USHL's Indiana Ice. In his first year at Indiana he lead the Ice to their most successful regular season in program history and the Clark Cup (USHL Championship). In his second year, he lead the team back to the USHL semi-finals. He was then named head coach the Western Michigan Broncos in 2010.

In his first year as a head coach in the CCHA, he lead the Western Michigan Broncos to a top-four finish, the CCHA Championship Game and the 2011 NCAA Men's Division 1 Ice Hockey Tournament - WMU's most successful season in 15 years. He was named the USCHO Coach of the Year, Inside College Hockey Coach of the Year, and College Hockey News Coach of the Year.

As we all are aware the following year he was invited by Babcock to join Detroit as an assistant coach in 2011-2012. He enjoyed a pretty successful first season in the NHL, reaching the playoffs while enjoying a 23-game home winning streak. Keep in mind there were no tremendous improvements to Detroit's special teams. After the season, Blashill was named the Grand Rapids Griffins head coach overtaking Curt Fraser.

Jeff has enjoyed a tremendously successful first season with the Griffins. Leading the team to its first playoff berth in years (42-26-4) as the three seed. We've seen tremendous development from many Griffins' players including Tomas Tatar, Landon Ferraro, Mitch Callahan, Tomas Jurco, Luke Glendening and others. The Griffins are now a strong case to contend for the Calder Cup.

Some of Blashill's accomplishments (http://www.wmubroncos.com/ViewArticl...ID=204923680):
  • Led WMU to a 19-13-10 (10-9-9, CCHA) record in first season.
  • Named National Coach of the Year by College Hockey News, USCHO.com and Inside College Hockey (2010-11).
  • Led WMU to CCHA Championship game appearance, the program's first since 1986 (2011).
  • Led WMU to a NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1996 (2011).
  • Finalisy for CCHA Coach of the Year (2011).
  • Head coach and general manager of the USHL's Indiana Ice.
  • 72-43-5 record in two season.
  • Won the "Clark Cup" as league champion on his first season as head coach
  • Six seasons as assistant coach with the Miami University RedHawks.
  • Won a CCHA Championship with Miami during the 2005-06 team
  • Recruited three Hobey Baker Finalists, four CCHA All-Rookie Team members, 11 first or second team All-CCHA members, six All-Americans, two World Junior Championship participants.
  • Was part of four NCAA Tournament teams while at Miami, including the 2006-07 and 2007-08 Elite Eight teams.
  • Played a major role in recruiting and developing the Miami 2009 NCAA Finalist team.
  • Four seasons as assistant coach at Ferris State.
  • Played a major role in recruiting and developing the 2002-03 Ferris State CCHA Championship team.
  • Assistant coach of the World Junior A Challenge Team; Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Canada (2009)
  • Assistant coach of the World Junior Team; IIHF World Junior Tournament, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (2009)
  • Assistant coach U-18 team; Ivan Hlinka Memorial World Championships, Czech Republic (2006)
  • Head coach Team Michigan; U-17 & U-18 National Festival (2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005)

Jeff Blashill has a really tremendous résumé, especially since 2008. He's known for being great with the kids and seems to be the perfect fit for a transitioning team. He's coached under many tremendous hockey minds, including Babcock. Is he making a case to take over Detroit once Babcock leaves?

Last edited by The Nose: 05-07-2013 at 06:55 PM.
The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
played goalie
Sold. Goalies know what's up.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Henkka

Yes. Blashill will the next head coach at 2015 after Babcock.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Yemack

why is everyone so keen on getting rid of Babcock?

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 07:34 PM
cjm502
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
Cleary, Abdelkader, Lashoff.

cjm502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 07:41 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:
Nobody is. Its a possibility.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm502 View Post
so people are unhappy Babcock didn't use their favorite players. so they want to fire him? I don't know about that.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:50 PM
cantwell7

Really off the topic of conversation but does anyone else find Blashill sounds exactly like Babs when he speaks.

cantwell7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 07:56 PM
cupforwings09

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm502 View Post
All that says is you don't like Cleary, Abdelkadar, or Lashoff. It doesn't reflect reality or Babcock's coaching ability, which is, by record and regard, top 3 in the world.

cupforwings09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupforwings09 View Post
All that says is you don't like Cleary, Abdelkadar, or Lashoff. It doesn't reflect reality or Babcock's coaching ability, which is, by record and regard, top 3 in the world.
No. It's the way he uses them.

Derp.

Few people would have problems with Abby if he were playing on the third or fourth line like he should. Or with Cleary if he weren't on the second PP unit and second line. Babs decides their ice time and he gives them far too much.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:51 PM
YostisHome
CEO DeKeyser FanClub

Quote:
so people are unhappy Babcock didn't use their favorite players. so they want to fire him? I don't know about that.
Not favorite players better players... I've always like Babcock but the fact he continues to play Cleary, dresses Lashoff over White and CC, and played Abby on the top line so long straight scares me. I think he completely mishandles our young forwards, Gus seemed scared to death for most of his previous time up and only now has seemed to get a bit of confidence. Tootoo should play all day everyday over Cleary. It's not even up for debate how horrible Cleary and Lashoff are and yet they play. That falls on the coach. He places way too much emphasis on "grit" then wonders why the .... we can't score goals.

YostisHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:56 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupforwings09 View Post
The same can be said for Ken Holland but that doesn't stop many fans from wanting rid of him either.
MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 05-08-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: let's not generalize
FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
The same can be said for Ken Holland but that doesn't stop many fans from wanting rid of him either.

Hockey fans often trump logic and records with emotion.
Are you talking about the homer defenders?

Because both Holland and Babcock make plenty of mistakes. And when they refuse to change their ways, it's hard to see why they should stay. It's not emotion that causes people to criticize Babs for playing Cleary and Abby in top6 roles. It's emotion and blind devotion that causes people to defend him for it though. There's nothing but fallacious appeals to authority to defend those moves.

Or Holland not being able to move guys we aren't using at all.

One way or another, the coach and the GM have to get on the same damn page. If Babs refuses to ever use guys like White, then move the guy. Or move Babs. Or if Bab's vision is our future, get rid of Holland and bring in a GM who will give Babs the players he wants.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

People on this board like to ignore the truth. The truth is that Holland and Babcock knoe infinitely more than they do. They are likely the best coach/gm tandem in the world. If the team was run by anyone foolish enough to fire them it would be the worst team in all of sports. I constantly see people on this board calling both Holland and Babcock stupid. It is laughable.

Capsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Yemack

so you guys are saying if he started.. i dunno.. Tatar? then we would be a 5th or 6th team? really? tatar the savior having as much impact as friggin lidstrom and stuart combined?

btw whatever happened to white and colaiacovo?

Old
05-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
so you guys are saying if he started.. i dunno.. Tatar? then we would be a 5th or 6th team? really? tatar the savior having as much impact as friggin lidstrom and stuart combined?
I think had the Wings played Tatar and Nyquist the majority of the year instead of trash like Cleary and Lashoff, they would have finished better than 7th.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Yemack

Quote:
think had the Wings played Tatar and Nyquist the majority of the year instead of trash like Cleary and Lashoff, they would have finished better than 7th.
I agree that Cleary looked like he lost a step or two but I really dont think a single prospect would have made that much impact. If he were that good, he would be destroying AHL right now.

sure why not. let's just say, with tatar, we might have managed to secure 6th in west. Ahead of Sharks.. which IMO has better roster than us at this point. Is that really a good enough reason to fire him? I really think the issue here is not Babcock's coaching ability but really about player bias.

Old
05-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
I think had the Wings played Tatar and Nyquist the majority of the year instead of trash like Cleary and Lashoff, they would have finished better than 7th.
What have these players really done to deserve being promoted. Tatar isn't even good in the AHL and Nyquist is a pygmy. He is talented but tiny. Neither could replace Abby or Cleary and that's saying something. I am inclined to believe Babs and Holland know more than any of the posters here.

Capsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwell7 View Post
Really off the topic of conversation but does anyone else find Blashill sounds exactly like Babs when he speaks.
first thing i noticed about him is how he sounds and uses similar inflections as Babcock

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 11:56 PM
pdd

Quote:
If he were that good, he would be destroying AHL right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsized View Post
Tatar isn't even good in the AHL and Nyquist is a pygmy.
Tatar is currently 38th in AHL scoring (49 in 61), but spent a significant chunk of time in the NHL. If he played 82 games in the AHL at that rate, he would have ~65 points, which places him in the top ten in scoring (and ahead of former Red Wing Kris Newbury, who has 62 points).

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Tatar is currently 38th in AHL scoring (49 in 61), but spent a significant chunk of time in the NHL. If he played 82 games in the AHL at that rate, he would have ~65 points, which places him in the top ten in scoring (and ahead of former Red Wing Kris Newbury, who has 62 points).
hm.. didnt know that. maybe I understand why someone you seem incredibly bitter about him. well then I hope he comes to camp next season ready to take the job from someone. I can't really comment on Tatar or what happened during the season as I haven't watched any. I'm just deducing from end result and finding this whole thing bizarre.

anyway calling for Bab's head at his point is just ridiculous. Let's get real.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:07 AM
YostisHome
CEO DeKeyser FanClub

Quote:
What have these players really done to deserve being promoted. Tatar isn't even good in the AHL and Nyquist is a pygmy. He is talented but tiny. Neither could replace Abby or Cleary and that's saying something.
Oh I dunno, Nyquist tore up the AHL, PPG player, near top of league all year in points.. Cleary had a line of 9-6-15, -6, near of the top of the team in penalty mins and more turnovers than a score keeper could probably keep track of all while getting a ton of ice time with the teams better players, and on the 2nd PP unit... can I also add he gives you nothing defensively. Tatar was more productive working with another AHL player in Andersson and not even near the mins Cleary got.

YostisHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 02:24 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
What have these players really done to deserve being promoted. Tatar isn't even good in the AHL and Nyquist is a pygmy. He is talented but tiny. Neither could replace Abby or Cleary and that's saying something. I am inclined to believe Babs and Holland know more than any of the posters here.
So go to a message board where Babs and Cleary hang out.

HFBOARDS is a place where FANS share their opinions.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:26 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
agreed

5'11" is way too small to make it in the NHL

I mean really name even one guy that small that's ever done anything?

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 07:45 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
A year or so ago, weren't you the guy in here saying you weren't going to renew your season tickets because of Holland's lack of moves for this team?

But umm, yeah. If you've watched Nyquist or Tatar you'd see exactly what they brings to this team - speed, energy and a desire to win that is currently hidden among our current core. Both would be upgrades, although you're right that as far as a grinder, neither could replace Abby on the 4th line.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote