HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How many of you all wear neckguards?

Old
09-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Orthodox Caveman

vCash: 500
How many of you all wear neckguards?

I saw the Malarchuk video and my stomach churned. I haven't seen many forwards/defensemen wearing them. I'm considering getting one.

Orthodox Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Hugh Madbrough

Not for me. I've only ever seen one skater wear one.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Hugh Madbrough

Last edited by Hugh Madbrough: 09-21-2006 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Sorry double post..
Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
In our league it's not mandatory, but the leauge I played for last year it was. I wear mine, but it's really thin so it doesn't affect the way I play. It's the kevlar material so it's strong and light.

I've had two incidents where I wasn't wearing one and came off really lucky. I got thrown into the net and there was a scrum. Got clipped by a skate on my neck under my ear. Bled, but wasn't a deep cut.

The second one the same sort of thing happened and I ended up under the goalie. I turned and tried to get up and caugt the goalie's foot in my cage and when she tried to push off got part of her blade caught in my chinstrap and jersey. Scratched my neck pretty bad.

Needless to say I wear one all the time now. Glad nothing serious happened!

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 11:35 AM
MikeD

I wear the maltese combo. Tried about 5 other brands but they were just too constricting. I wanted to remove the dangler from my goal mask so I had to have some sort of protection. The dangler isnt something to provide good skate cut protection anyway.

My youngest son had a skater drop to the ice sliding in and lift a skate into his neck once. He had went down to cover a puck she was trying to get catch up with on a break attempt. The skate drove into his neck in the same area that Malarchuk had been cut. The impact drove him into the net and the net off its moorings. I honestly believe his maltese slash guard may have saved his life that day or at the very least kept him from a trip to the hospital for stitches. A minute later the same thing happened wit hthe same player but that time she didnt drop. She skated in and speared him to the neck with her stick blade in the same spot. The player was ejected from the game and given a suspention for the remainder of the season. I wasnt very concerned as I watched thsi happen. The rink went dead silent as my son lay in the net head turned towards the back boards. I was standing behind the glass at the end boards and could see him smiling. The Refs wouldnt even approach him, staying about 5 yards away waving the coaches over. The coaches from BOTH benches bailed over the boards onto the ice and had gotten about halfway there when he got up. The wife being up in the stands wasnt quite so relaxed. Scared the heck outta her.

By the way, I was at the BWM Auditorium for that game and saw the incident happen from only a few yards away. Crazy scene thats for sure. Many women and children were crying, people pukeing at the site of the blood etc etc etc....That was the main reason that I insisted that my son wear the maltese neck protection. Both skate cut AND puck impact are welll protected. to see a short clip of it... http://view.break.com/151916 if you watch the video after he tells to take the camera off it and they pan to the right, I am to the left of the guy in the white hat and hehind the guy standing at the glass in the green sweater.

www.maltesehockey.com a MUST HAVE for any youth player(IMHO)

They do not trap heat and can in fact be kept in the freezer/chilled before use. Great for floor or roller where its a much hotter environment. They do feel a bit heavy in the hand but once you put one on you totally forget they are there. The material they are made of is also very soft feeling.

USA has or is about to make them mandatory. Not sure if they have yet if not its going to be. They will prob go with the BNK standards.

Last edited by MikeD: 09-21-2006 at 12:01 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 11:59 AM
CaptBrannigan

Skating, I only wore it during high school seasons because it was mandatory.

As a goalie, I have a dangler and a collar thing. If a puck hits the dangler that thing can really dig into your upper chest, my collar has a pad that totally prevents that. I was surprised at the bruise it left when I neglected to wear the collar once.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Ti-girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post

My youngest son had a skater drop to the ice sliding in and lift a skate into his neck once. He had went down to cover a puck she was trying to get catch up with on a break attempt. The skate drove into his neck in the same area that Malarchuk had been cut. The impact drove him into the net and the net off its moorings. I honestly believe his maltese slash guard may have saved his life that day or at the very least kept him from a trip to the hospital for stitches. A minute later the same thing happened wit hthe same player but that time she didnt drop. She skated in and speared him to the neck with her stick blade in the same spot. The player was ejected from the game and given a suspention for the remainder of the season. I wasnt very concerned as I watched thsi happen. The rink went dead silent as my son lay in the net head turned towards the back boards. I was standing behind the glass at the end boards and could see him smiling. The Refs wouldnt even approach him, staying about 5 yards away waving the coaches over. The coaches from BOTH benches bailed over the boards onto the ice and had gotten about halfway there when he got up. The wife being up in the stands wasnt quite so relaxed. Scared the heck outta her.
That was sort of the same thing that happened to me, but I was the skater. I got tripped up and ended up under the goalie.

The refs wouldn't come near me when I was bleeding and the coaches ran off the bench like they were on fire.

I was able to get my helmet and cage undone and remember having my coach's scarf wrapped around my neck.

So far this one is serving me well, I may look into the Maltese one depending on this next season.

Old
09-21-2006, 12:26 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

i stopped wearing one after highschool

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 12:38 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
I was standing behind the glass at the end boards and could see him smiling.
Your son sounds like a gamer.

Glad to hear he was ok.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 01:10 PM
MikeD

yes, he can play the Refs from time to time. Has drawn his fair share of penalties. lol

I have taken one shot to the throat with hte maltese combo and several off the collar bone. THe ones off the collar bone are hardly felt and since they attenuate the impact there isnt any brusing. The one to the throat dropped me like a sack of 'tatoes. Sucked for air for a minute but recovered and finished the game. Next day wasnt even sore. Shot just barely cliped my cvhin drop and into the center of my throat. Speed was around 60-65 mph.

Old
09-21-2006, 01:25 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
I wear a soft collar one. Used to have a hard junior collar one which deflected pucks when I played goal, but I somehow lost it

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 01:39 PM
sc37

vCash: 50
I've heard lots of great things about Maltese products in general.

Personally, I just wear a normal neckguard. I choose to do so, one of the 3 or so in the league that do. You never know what happens when you get into a pile up...had one too many skates, sticks and stuff around my neck when people get piled up, especially at the front of the net. First game I wore one had a close call when I got tripped up going in on net and the goalie who turned his back to play the puck fell too...I wound up sliding right towards his skate blades full speed while he was down on his knees.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
Had to wear one in HS, don't wear one for my men's league. It's pretty much the only risk I take in not wearing a piece of equipment, since I always wear all my other gear, like shoulder pads, facemask, etc. I hate stuff around my neck.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Grabo59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesius87 View Post
I saw the Malarchuk video and my stomach churned. I haven't seen many forwards/defensemen wearing them. I'm considering getting one.
I have'nt seen it, does anyone have a video?

Grabo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 08:55 PM
mac-sniper

this is so busch league, what the hell, how many of you guys wear half your equiptment to the rink on early pracky? i do only on sundays tho and only if my skate guards are clean.

mac-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 09:26 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by michayel View Post
I have'nt seen it, does anyone have a video?
link in my post above....

Mac,
Your entitled to your opinion but no need to be insulting to those who dont share it. I for one wear all my gear even for those ice times where I am going to just be Coaching. I have to be able to go to work and bring home the paycheck. No reason to be stupid about ones safety. Its when you are most complacent that injury happens.

Last edited by MikeD: 09-21-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old
09-21-2006, 09:29 PM
Pat

don't feel comfortable having something around my neck

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 06:55 AM
Nbr-17

I wear one, doesn't bother me a bit.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Ti-girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-sniper View Post
this is so busch league, what the hell, how many of you guys wear half your equiptment to the rink on early pracky? i do only on sundays tho and only if my skate guards are clean.
Personally I wear all of my equipment, including a mouthguard at all of my games. I would rather be safe than sorry.

If you would have read my past post in this thread I have already had two close calls to not having a neckguard and would rather not die from a freak accident thank you very much.

Old
09-22-2006, 01:04 PM
nikebauer

Send a message via MSN to nikebauer
$%## happens, so if a freak accident happens and a skate cuts the neck then its too bad.

I dont wear neckguard...too restrictive and uncomfortable.

nikebauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Ti-girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGmang View Post
$%## happens, so if a freak accident happens and a skate cuts the neck then its too bad.

I dont wear neckguard...too restrictive and uncomfortable.
Each to their own, but like I've said, I've had two accidents where I've been cut by a skate in the neck. Coming from personal experiences I would rather wear mine.

Old
09-22-2006, 02:39 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
Each to their own, but like I've said, I've had two accidents where I've been cut by a skate in the neck. Coming from personal experiences I would rather wear mine.
I'm the same way when it comes to my face cage. All it took was my face meeting the boards to put one on. Now I don't dare take it off.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 02:43 PM
MikeD

I can understand the dislike of the neck wear. I went through the same thing. In each of the 5 or 6 previous models I had tried I couldnt take more than about 10 minutes and had to rip the thing off. Both confort and heat retention being the major issue. In each case I ended up handing a 50-60 buck item to a goalie at the skate and shoot who didnt have one and wanted the one I was not going to be able to wear. Cant return them after use, after all. The maltese is unlike any I have ever had before. I went from not being able to stand them to one that I would forget was on and being on of the last items I would remove after play. The great part is that each is made specific to the measure that you provide to Phil @ maltesehockey. You get custom sized not just something stocked on a shelf.

Old
09-22-2006, 03:05 PM
sc37

vCash: 50
I think Itech has a shirt with built in neckguard. Have like kevlar fibers on the collar... haven't worn it but seems like something you all might want to try. I know what you mean when the neckguard feels funny, but I have UnderArmour shirts that have a higher neck(almost turtleneck), like the Itech shirt, and doens't bother me.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Ti-girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
I think Itech has a shirt with built in neckguard. Have like kevlar fibers on the collar... haven't worn it but seems like something you all might want to try. I know what you mean when the neckguard feels funny, but I have UnderArmour shirts that have a higher neck(almost turtleneck), like the Itech shirt, and doens't bother me.
One of the girls on my team had one of those. She hated the shirt so she hacked the neckguard off into a "dickie" style and wears that.

Best part she used a pocket knife and taped the bottom so it wouldn't fray.