HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread (Part 3) #8, 16, 38, 52, 69, 129, 130, 140, 159, 189

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2013, 05:43 PM
is the answer jesus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Thats your opinion. Not everyone believes he is a top 10 forward
I believe he's a top 10 forward in this draft and I certainly have him ahead of Domi on my list. I also see the Ryan comparison at least in terms of their style of play. They both play a chippy physical type game and have great offensive skills in addition. Now obviously Ryan was the much better, more polished prospect but I see the comparison.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:59 PM
"Craigs on it"

Kids puck skills are off the charts

Old
05-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Zadarov, especially for a big man, is surprisingly fast. Someone like Petan is super quick, but tiny. Shinkaruk has wheels. Erne and Duclair are both speedy. Lots of 'em.
Where do you (and others) see Zadarov falling? A few mocks I have seen don't have him getting past Philly at 11. He's a guy I'd love at 16 if he slid, and if we went with a forward at 8.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
yea, same thing happened to Etem... people are stupid.

it would be great if the overblown hype about his benching (that never happened) pushed him to our 2nd round pick... I'd still take him at 16 on talent.

Would you hate taking him at 16, because of what others are saying... or because of how you view him?

Erne = Bobby Ryan without the hype
To an extent, aren't most of our draft opinions based on, at least in part, what others are saying? I think, with few exceptions, most on here haven't seen certain players more than a handful of times, which presents a real sample size problem.

Anyways, from the few times I've seen Erne, I found him to be relatively ineffective. Couple that with stagnation in the goals category, and his fall in most draft lists, leads me to believe that drafting him at 16 would be a bit of a reach. If you think he's Bobby Ryan-lite, you won't agree with that assessment. But I anticipate there'll be players who'll turn out to be better pros available at 16.

Quote:
nah, you're right... that comment is silly too.

clairfying : Erne has a Bobby Ryan-esque ceiling

being 100% confident in Max Domi? you sticking with that?
I'm sure we could attach a sexy name to every 1st rounder if we're talking strictly about ceiling. I just see Erne as a solid 2nd line winger--which isn't a bad thing, but we all know isn't the most difficult thing to find. But at 16 in what's reported to be a deep draft, I hope we can do better than that.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Im perfectly happy giving up whatever's necessary if the end result is Barkov and Ristolainen.... that would make last year's 2for look like child's play.
What's your take on Ristolainen? I find it hard to be excited about a guy described as a great all-around defenseman given that Psysk and McCabe fill that mode (though possibly without the upside). If and when we go D this draft, I'm sort of hoping for an extreme: either an offensive puck-mover or a big, mean, nasty stay-at-home defender.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:29 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Where do you (and others) see Zadarov falling? A few mocks I have seen don't have him getting past Philly at 11. He's a guy I'd love at 16 if he slid, and if we went with a forward at 8.
I see him drafted somewhere in between our two first rounders likely closer to 8 than 16. I think the flyers would love to get Zadorov at 11. I'd consider moving up a few spots if he made it past Philly.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
11 to Philly, 14 to CBJ, or 15 to NYI.

Sounds like Dallas wants a RHD if they go defense, which makes sense given that Oleksiak, Morrow, and Nemeth are all lefties. Accordingly, I think they'd go Ristolainen or Pulock if defense is their pick. (I still think Nill may want to fortify their middle, and thus I think they'll be interested in Horvat.)

Old
05-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
What's your take on Ristolainen? I find it hard to be excited about a guy described as a great all-around defenseman given that Psysk and McCabe fill that mode (though possibly without the upside). If and when we go D this draft, I'm sort of hoping for an extreme: either an offensive puck-mover or a big, mean, nasty stay-at-home defender.
http://thefarmclub.net/2013/03/12/nh...s-ristolainen/

Old
05-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Honestly? If Buffalo winds up with say Nurse or Rasmus Ristolainen at 8, I have no problems with them looking at Zadarov at 16 too. Yes, yes, they need forwards. But since d-men take longer and there are some questions about some of the Sabres prospect d-pool, and they don't have a physical guy like him in the system who can move like he does but plays as hard as he does... and I don't view this as a one-year turn-around.

Lot of guys to like. If it winds up they get a forward they like at #8, it might make Zadarov an option if he gets to Buffalo. McNabb's knee injury likely isn't going to help his already exploitable skating and they need more than just a regular bottom pairing guy to skate with, shut down, and certainly punish the forward talent throughout their new division.

05-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
Thanks. Sounds like he's a bit more physical than our smaller-framed "all-around" defenseman...which is a nice perk. If Nurse and Ristolainen are available at 8 and you decide to go D, who's the pick?

Old
05-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I just see Erne as a solid 2nd line winger--which isn't a bad thing, but we all know isn't the most difficult thing to find. But at 16 in what's reported to be a deep draft, I hope we can do better than that.
To me -- I don't care how deep the draft is.....if you hit on a solid 2nd line guy in the middle of the first round, I call that a successful pick.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:53 PM
"Craigs on it"

Tampa Bay head scout Al Murray says that their are 5 A players in the draft. Drouin Nichushkin Jones MacKinnon and Barkov

Last edited by 1972: 05-07-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old
05-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
To me -- I don't care how deep the draft is.....if you hit on a solid 2nd line guy in the middle of the first round, I call that a successful pick.
Particularly if that second liner plays a gritty, power forward game. A guy that can pot 20-25 goals, hit, and occasionally fight is a homerun in the middle of the 1st round as far as I'm concerned. No idea if that guy is Erne, but I'd take it.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Quote:
That was the very writeup I was going to send him to. Another would be this one: http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/04/...ect-profile-9/

He's got all the tools and can lay a big hit. With his mobility, he can close with guys and catch them or use his stick and feet to make a quick play in transition. A big rightie, and they're already talking about making sure they have balanced pairs going forward... what's not to like?

Old
05-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:

Lot of guys to like. If it winds up they get a forward they like at #8, it might make Zadarov an option if he gets to Buffalo. McNabb's knee injury likely isn't going to help his already exploitable skating and they need more than just a regular bottom pairing guy to skate with, shut down, and certainly punish the forward talent throughout their new division.
Yes, McNabb has me worried. He looked terrible to start the year in Rochester and then really turned his game around (particularly offensively) before the knee injury. Who knows how much that set him back? I'm a little scared to bank on him as our big, physical defenseman that can play a top-3 role. Right now he's looking like a 5, maybe 4 if he puts the train back on the tracks.

Because of that, I want a physical, No. 2 or 3 defenseman, elite scoring forward talent (don't care at W or C), and a top-six power forward (again, W or C). Is that too much to ask for in one draft?

I'm quite content with second-line and third-line centers given Hodgson, Larsson and Girgs, all-around safe D with Psy and McCabe, and third-line forwards with Tropp, Cat, etc. Everything else...gimme, gimme, gimme.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Tampa Bay head scout Al Murray says that their are 5 A players in the draft. Drouin Nichushkin Jones MacKinnon Barkov and MacKinnon
MacKinnon so good you listed him twice?

Old
05-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Thanks. Sounds like he's a bit more physical than our smaller-framed "all-around" defenseman...which is a nice perk. If Nurse and Ristolainen are available at 8 and you decide to go D, who's the pick?
I want Ristolainen all-day if its between those 2.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Yes, McNabb has me worried. He looked terrible to start the year in Rochester and then really turned his game around (particularly offensively) before the knee injury. Who knows how much that set him back? I'm a little scared to bank on him as our big, physical defenseman that can play a top-3 role. Right now he's looking like a 5, maybe 4 if he puts the train back on the tracks.

Because of that, I want a physical, No. 2 or 3 defenseman, elite scoring forward talent (don't care at W or C), and a top-six power forward (again, W or C). Is that too much to ask for in one draft?

I'm quite content with second-line and third-line centers given Hodgson, Larsson and Girgs, all-around safe D with Psy and McCabe, and third-line forwards with Tropp, Cat, etc. Everything else...gimme, gimme, gimme.
With the picks they have, they should be able to come out with most of that since there are a lot of players to like all the way into the 2nd round or beyond. They need to be looking for dynamic forwards -- can the guy skate/score/hit at an elite level? Speed and finish have to be high on their list. Being hard to play against is also big on my list.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I want Ristolainen all-day if its between those 2.
Yeah, I agree. I think he's more ready and much more complete.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Yeah, I agree. I think he's more ready and much more complete.
If that's the case, it seems likely Edmonton takes him at 7.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
If that's the case, it seems likely Edmonton takes him at 7.
Maybe. Their board seems to be alive with Monahan and Nurse talk. *shrug*

Old
05-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Maybe. Their board seems to be alive with Monahan and Nurse talk. *shrug*
It's sure going to be interesting around 8. Lots of variables and possibilities. With Rolston mentioning today that the team wants size at center badly (badly enough to throw Foligno there for awhile), it leads me back to the much-discussed thought that Regier wants Nashville's pick and Barkov desperately.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

Regier has mentioned moving up in the draft. I would like to hear what people believe is possible and at what cost.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

I would think all of the draft picks are in play as well as potentially Ennis and Stafford (less value). In this draft, I think it will be hard to move above Carolina's #5.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:11 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Harrington is tweeting about a major injury to Drouin. Anybody know about this?

Closed Thread