HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

G Antti Raanta - Chicago UFA signing (2007 undrafted)

Old
05-07-2013, 09:18 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 500
If he could only sign a one year deal, does he become a RFA or a UFA after his first year in the NHL/AHL ends?

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Derp Kassian

Flyers-Devils?

Derp Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:56 AM
nonoob12

I hope that he will not go Edmonton they already have two finish goalies in their system and thats enough.

nonoob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:34 AM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonoob12 View Post
I hope that he will not go Edmonton they already have two finish goalies in their system and thats enough.
um lol oooooooooooookay

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:38 AM
JJTT

Quote:
3 actually, Perhonen,Hovinen,Tuohimaa

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
If he could only sign a one year deal, does he become a RFA or a UFA after his first year in the NHL/AHL ends?
He'd be RFA (unless he wasn't given a qualifying offer). He wouldn't be UFA (27 years old) until the summer of 2016 at the earliest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Flyers-Devils?
Not that I wouldn't mind taking a chance, the Devils have Brodeur and Hedberg signed for next year. Imagine that Raanta would be looking at a team where he'd likely be in the NHL immediately. They could hypothetically buy Hedberg out.

Another hurdle would be the Devils' policy of not offering performance bonuses. Might not be as big a deal if Raanta has to sign a one year deal initially, but other offers would look better with the potential bonuses.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:06 PM
caley

Possibly headed to Columbus?

per Aaron Portzline
Quote:
RT @redsfanhere: @Aportzline Heard anything on the antti raanta? // Lots of whispers, but nobody talking right now. #staytuned

05-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Juzmo
dont google me

vCash: 690
No medal from the World Championships after the bronze medal game loss, but Raanta played a solid tournament posting a 2.09 GAA and a 92.8 save% in seven games. Didn't let in any softies during these games and kept Finland in it in a couple of games behind the shaky Finnish defence.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Dropkick Murphy

Raanta was solid in WC, but not awesome like in FEL. Two reasons:

1) On relative terms, Ässät defense system and material was superior when compared to Team Finland
2) FEL is lacking good goalscorers and some shots which went to top corner/forced rebound would had been easy shots to logo in FEL.

Still he was showing that his season in FEL was no fluke and he is capable to play on higher level. What I have understood is that main options are CBJ and CHI, also Wild is rumored to be heavily interested. He'll play with 99% percent certainty in a NHL organisation next season.

Dropkick Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Loffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post
Raanta was solid in WC, but not awesome like in FEL. Two reasons:

1) On relative terms, Ässät defense system and material was superior when compared to Team Finland
2) FEL is lacking good goalscorers and some shots which went to top corner/forced rebound would had been easy shots to logo in FEL.

Still he was showing that his season in FEL was no fluke and he is capable to play on higher level. What I have understood is that main options are CBJ and CHI, also Wild is rumored to be heavily interested. He'll play with 99% percent certainty in a NHL organisation next season.
Another Finnish AHL goalie... He should sign KHL deal and never look back. That's hes level.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Another Finnish AHL goalie... He should sign KHL deal and never look back. That's hes level.
He would be a starter for like 3-5 team in NHL at the moment, goalies tend to be at their best as 26-33 year old. So there is still a lot to improve. Statistics speaks for themselves.

Leehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Phenomenon

Raanta was superb in FEL. However, his readiness to succeed in NHL is still a questionmark as Dropkick Murphy said. Helenius, Rynnäs, Ortio, Engren, Hovinen and lot of other Finnish goalies have had a promising future according to their last season in Europe, but for some reason, were not able to break through. A lot depends on capability to be ready when given the chance for NHL spot.

I believe that Raanta has all the tools for becoming an NHL player, but not everyone is a fighter like Rask, Rinne and Kiprusoff to wait for their chance. Big KHL contracts is nowadays also a factor that decreases the patience for a long AHL path.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Juzmo
dont google me

vCash: 690
Raanta was picked as the goalie for the All Star -lineup and awarded with the "Urpo Ylönen Award" as SM-liiga's best goaltender today as expected.

Also the Finnish Ice Hockey federation awarded him with the "President's Trophy", which is a special award donated by honor chairman, Kai Hietarinta, for being an influence in hockey.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Noma

Finnish tv reporter Jani Uotila has spoken with Raanta (according to his Twitter). Raanta says he has several options in the NHL one which being Minnesota Wild.

Noma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
We need more Finnish goalies!!

The others are AHL caliber at best.

Raanta has been elite even if it is a low scoring league.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 05:06 AM
JJTT

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko...us-fifty-fifty

He will decide on Friday about his nhl future.

Last edited by JJTT: 05-29-2013 at 05:34 AM.
JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:13 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtt View Post
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko...us-fifty-fifty

He will decide on Friday about his nhl future.
Fifty-Fifty my arse. Of course he goes to NA when given opportunity.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:05 PM
Biff Tannen

According to Russo, Wild, Jets and Oilers have shown interest in Raanta. The decision is made already but tomorrow is the earliest when he's able to sign a contract.

I hope he goes to either Wild or Oilers. Oilers' core is young but future success is imminent. What does it say about Wild though if they want sign a potential no. 1 to replace Bäckström? More cap space for sure, but seems like they don't trust their current tandem. I wouldn't either. Bäckström is getting older and the other has MS which is unfortunate but risky.

Biff Tannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:09 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
I don't think Minnesota is a great fit. If they did sign him, it means that they're basically needing to get rid of either Backstrom or Harding because Raanta isn't going to sign just to be a 3rd stringer. Add Kuemper to the mix and it's even more unclear.

Edmonton is the no-brainer here, although the Jets would also be a good fit.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:18 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I don't think Minnesota is a great fit. If they did sign him, it means that they're basically needing to get rid of either Backstrom or Harding because Raanta isn't going to sign just to be a 3rd stringer. Add Kuemper to the mix and it's even more unclear.

I think the Jets and Oilers situations are pretty much the same. One goalie is signed who's the shaky "starter", and not really any other goalies in the system. The Jets only have Pavelec and Olinoura (spelling is off, I'm sure) under contract right now.

tbcwpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:33 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

backstrom is a UFA and will be let go due to cap issues in MIN.. no way they resign backstrom if they land this goalie

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Biff Tannen

Regardless of the team I cannot wait to see him on NA ice. His style, size and quickness is a good fit for NHL level. The quick success he's had worries me a bit and he'll put a lot of pressure on himself for it, but he will surely fight and do his best in every game. Sky's the limit. Now if only everyone could keep their feet on the ground and not get too high on this kid.

Biff Tannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:50 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
backstrom is a UFA and will be let go due to cap issues in MIN.. no way they resign backstrom if they land this goalie
That would be too bold of the Wild, if you ask me. Still don't think he's the right fit. Fasth was a great fit for the Ducks last year, but you can't simply gamble on Raanta in the same way without having a proven guy there in the mix too. The Harding stuff really complicates things more, considering his illness.

I don't think a three-headed monster of Raanta, Harding, Kuemper is good enough, especially considering the franchises expectations after signing Parise/Suter.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 05:05 PM
Revelate

Sleeper is Buffalo. It's looking like Miller is out which opens up an opportunity for Raanta. I'm sure Buffalo has been keeping an eye on him as he plays with arguably their top prospect in Armia.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 06:28 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
Sleeper is Buffalo. It's looking like Miller is out which opens up an opportunity for Raanta. I'm sure Buffalo has been keeping an eye on him as he plays with arguably their top prospect in Armia.
Possibly but I don't think they would've put all that effort into Enroth just to bring in a guy who could possibly supplant him.

tbcwpg is online now   Reply With Quote