HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Good Restaurant

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2013, 06:53 PM
  #176
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
It's a great little place, but I find the food hit or miss sometimes. Generally a hit, but I've had a couple pretty bad misses there, too.
kinda like Bistecca for me. although that's part of a chain. Service is always impeccable but the food can be up and down depending on what you order.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 07:59 PM
  #177
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St Albert
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Nellos? Pass, garbage restaurant trying to toss itself off as high priced gourmet fare. In a takeout box would be hard to distinguish from Olive Garden.

Tilipia on the menu? You freaking kidding me. I wouldn't feed this to my enemies. Tilipia, for anybody familiar with it or its habits, is the bottom feeder in the food chain fish that is suddenly being pawned off on the public as worthy even though its possibly the worst species of fish for taste one could possibly recommend.

When I went I was amazed at the simplicity of the dishes, that so much of it essentially pasta, and that an italian pasta kitchen should NEVER be expensive. Its never expensive to make. Nothing on this menu is.

rip off
You enjoy shrimp, lobster, crab?
FYI, crayfish and shellfish in general use to be considered poor grade and were fed to the slaves and undesirables, because they are all bottom feeders.

And now, how much do you pay to import nova scotian lobster ?

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:02 PM
  #178
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
You enjoy shrimp, lobster, crab?
FYI, crayfish and shellfish in general use to be considered poor grade and were fed to the slaves and undesirables, because they are all bottom feeders.

And now, how much do you pay to import nova scotian lobster ?
Tilipia is a garbage fish that wasn't even considered fit for human consumption until such time that many oceans were fished dry of more delectable fish.

In terms of aquaculture Tilipia were only grown to clean the mess off the bottom of commercial fish tanks. They're good vacuum cleaners that eat fish feces all day long and smell like it. Have at her, enjoy.

While you're at it try the rancid goat meat at Uncle Alberts backwater saloon.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:06 PM
  #179
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St Albert
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,450
vCash: 500
I don't eat seafood, I think its all gross. However I wonder how much of that is just your opinion.

Like I said, the genuine bottom feeders like lobster and crab are now considered delicacy when only a short while ago they weren't considered fit for "respectable" human consumption.

Hate to bring it to this, but what exactly do you think shellfish eat? Garbage, feces, etc. Also they have no proper vascular or waste system so it all just sloshes around inside them. Ghew.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:12 PM
  #180
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I don't eat seafood, I think its all gross. However I wonder how much of that is just your opinion.

Like I said, the genuine bottom feeders like lobster and crab are now considered delicacy when only a short while ago they weren't considered fit for "respectable" human consumption.

Hate to bring it to this, but what exactly do you think shellfish eat? Garbage, feces, etc. Also they have no proper vascular or waste system so it all just sloshes around inside them. Ghew.
It isn't my opinion. Tilipia has only been in the market here over the last decade. Any chef worth his salt would have put dog food on a plate before this crap. Its just a very poor eating fish that used to be as I say used to clean up after raising other fish then sold to rendering plants or processers for whatever they could get for it. As it is this is the cheapest fish in the market and with poor demand at that.

For a restaurant trying to price itself at the top of a food chain having Tilipia as one of the very few seafood options is a joke.

When you see Tilipia on the menu know that the restauarant doesn't care what dreck they pawn off on you.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:13 PM
  #181
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St Albert
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,450
vCash: 500
Some quick googling says it is one of the most heavily farmed fish around.

So somebodies eating it. Just another one of the reasons I don't eat seafood.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:17 PM
  #182
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Some quick googling says it is one of the most heavily farmed fish around.

So somebodies eating it. Just another one of the reasons I don't eat seafood.
10 years ago you wouldn't find it anywhere except in a dog food rendering plant. With lots of artificial flavor added so the dogs would eat it.


this link tells it like it is. Few do because so many vested interests want to con the public on consuming this dreck.

http://lostatseanyc.blogspot.ca/2010...e-fish_12.html


This link is even more disturbing:

http://forums.winespectator.com/eve/...61/m/562108035


bon appetit


Last edited by Replacement: 05-07-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:07 PM
  #183
Alex87
Registered User
 
Alex87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
10 years ago you wouldn't find it anywhere except in a dog food rendering plant. With lots of artificial flavor added so the dogs would eat it.


this link tells it like it is. Few do because so many vested interests want to con the public on consuming this dreck.

http://lostatseanyc.blogspot.ca/2010...e-fish_12.html


This link is even more disturbing:

http://forums.winespectator.com/eve/...61/m/562108035


bon appetit
Meh, I don't really have a horse in this race (not a big seafood eater other than the occasional generously battered walleye that I'll fish myself).

Can't say I've done a lot of research on the subject, although I will say this. The first link you posted calls Tilapia a fad fish, one of many that comes along every few years. But when it comes to dieting and nutrition, it seems like there are also a lot of fads being pushed (the latest being this gluten free/wheat belly nonsense) that seem to be perpetuated by unscientific sources, including blogs like this one. So I'm basically saying that I'm too ignorant on the subject to outright disagree with you, but I tend to default to skepticism when I read claims like this one and the blog you posted didn't really do anything to convince me the other way (it was basically just a longer post articulating what you're already telling us without a ton of extra info).

I did do some research (full disclosure, it started on Wikipedia) that led me to this link though, which seems more reputable:

http://south.sanfordhealth.org/visit...ealthArticles/

Long story short, those guys seem to think Tilapia is an ok fish to eat.

Also, as others have pointed out, a lot of stuff we pull from the water has a diet that includes waste and fecal matter, but it doesn't stop us from eating it. The stuff about Tilapia makes me think that this started because someone who didn't know anything about fish (i.e. when they're still alive) stumbled on to an unpleasant truth and is now sharing it like they've discovered something alarming that the fish farmers didn't want us to know about.

...all of this being said, if I was ever ordering fish in a restaurant I'd almost certainly go with the halibut or the salmon. You're more likely to get a good meal that way anyways and salmon as far as I know is quite nutritious. And if you're looking for a VERY good meal and have some cash to spend, visit the Hardware Grill and order the Sea Bass. I went with some family members recently and tried some of my sister's plate and it was outstanding.

http://digitalmarketingbox.com/webto...in_menupdf.pdf

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:15 PM
  #184
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,051
vCash: 500
Ahh, you ugly ****fish, pleas roll around in some batter, jump in a deep fryer, and then swim into my burrito or taco. But, I'd rather have one of your swimming friends grilled on my plate.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:57 PM
  #185
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,436
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
Meh, I don't really have a horse in this race (not a big seafood eater other than the occasional generously battered walleye that I'll fish myself).

Can't say I've done a lot of research on the subject, although I will say this. The first link you posted calls Tilapia a fad fish, one of many that comes along every few years. But when it comes to dieting and nutrition, it seems like there are also a lot of fads being pushed (the latest being this gluten free/wheat belly nonsense) that seem to be perpetuated by unscientific sources, including blogs like this one. So I'm basically saying that I'm too ignorant on the subject to outright disagree with you, but I tend to default to skepticism when I read claims like this one and the blog you posted didn't really do anything to convince me the other way (it was basically just a longer post articulating what you're already telling us without a ton of extra info).

I did do some research (full disclosure, it started on Wikipedia) that led me to this link though, which seems more reputable:

http://south.sanfordhealth.org/visit...ealthArticles/

Long story short, those guys seem to think Tilapia is an ok fish to eat.

Also, as others have pointed out, a lot of stuff we pull from the water has a diet that includes waste and fecal matter, but it doesn't stop us from eating it. The stuff about Tilapia makes me think that this started because someone who didn't know anything about fish (i.e. when they're still alive) stumbled on to an unpleasant truth and is now sharing it like they've discovered something alarming that the fish farmers didn't want us to know about.

...all of this being said, if I was ever ordering fish in a restaurant I'd almost certainly go with the halibut or the salmon. You're more likely to get a good meal that way anyways and salmon as far as I know is quite nutritious. And if you're looking for a VERY good meal and have some cash to spend, visit the Hardware Grill and order the Sea Bass. I went with some family members recently and tried some of my sister's plate and it was outstanding.

http://digitalmarketingbox.com/webto...in_menupdf.pdf
I am not going to get into the debate on the quality of Tilapia although you do make some valid points. The beneficial effects of omega 3's are well documented. Its a shame however that fish are so contaminated. Rarely is there a mention of the heavy metal issue which is a very serious concern with any medium to large fish. Also no mention of the massive radioactive toxicity of the Pacific ocean...eating fish with heavy metal toxicity is bad enough but adding in Cesium 137 makes fish from the Pacific a very unhealthy and uneducated option. The sites you quoted make no mention of these unfortunate realities.
Here is a study done on the existing and projected effects of Fukushima after approx 1 year of radioactive leakage into the ocean. I recommend watching the video as opposed to reading the paper if time is an issue.


http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/7/3/034004/article

The study falls short of the timeline and the actual damage being caused because it hasn't taken into consideration the fact that Fukushima is still leaking into the ocean more than 2 years after the initial damage. Their projection has to be considered extremely conservative. This issue far exceeds the decision whether or not to eat fish from the pacific...its an environmental disaster of a magnitude which makes it impossible to predict the impact on people in the Northern Hemisphere. Very sad and the general media blackout (when is the last time you saw a report on TV regarding Fukushima?) is something that should concern everybody. Due to the lack of coverage it is assumed by most of the public that this just isn't an issue anymore.
Sadly it is and it will remain an issue (media reports or not) for decades.
Not trying to steer a thread on restaurants off course but if the conversation revolves around eating fish (wild and farmed) then these elements have to be considered IMO. This debate could just be centered around the issues of farmed fish but the reality is that there are more pressing concerns regarding Pacific fish in general.

Regarding the other part of your post...I would very much like to see this so called scientific research you speak of that invalidates the research done on the issues with gluten/wheat. Any study on the inflammatory effects of food would be faulty without mentioning the specific role of wheat, gluten and grains in general. I take issue with your representation of this research as being nothing more than a fad.

I have yet to see anything, that wasn't industry supported in some way, trumpeting the health benefits of wheat. If you have something to share I would really enjoy seeing it.


Last edited by guymez: 05-08-2013 at 09:03 PM.
guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:25 AM
  #186
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,760
vCash: 500
Went to Spamalot at the Citadel last night. Sold out performance, great show. As usual thoughts went out to what Restaurant or spot should we try after the show. Not used to seeing a reasonable restaurant right in the facility. (most previous incarnations of restaurants in the Citadel have been bad, bad, bad, we wandered into the restaurant wthout much expectaion. Basically a lets hope theres something on the menu.

We needn't worried. We realized after sitting down that its actually Normands Bistro(didn't even spot the name lettering on windows outside, they could work more on signage to get people in here) and we had no problem selecting. I heard that Normands Bistro has been there in the location for less than a year. So news to me, probably to most people.

Wife had the Chicken Primavera pasta infused with rich tomato sauce, ample vegetables including spinach to set it off. Wonderful cheese blend detected. She couldn't finish. Huge delicious serving.

I had the grilled wet coast Salmon, again wonderful vegetable preparation. Salmon with caper salsa on top of sublimely(I'm a foodie, lol) prepared vegetable medley and with all vegetables prepared and seasoned separately in heaven. The tomatoes spicy tangy, Red cabbage glazed in a stock reduction, carrots like honey, all down the line. Great. Person could go to one of the lousy chain restaurants and get veggies microwaved out of a frozen bag of this. Oh, and the Salmon was perfect, nice thick cut that was much bigger than it even looked the caper/salsa on top perfect. Plain Jasmine rice maybe the only disappointment. Should be some safron in there.

Made sure to tell the waitress this was the meal of the year, well done.

Want more reason to go? Premum brand highballs at 6bucks/drink. Noted this in restaurant and at Theater bar upstairs where I believe it was even $5.50. Wowsa I'm drinking at the top theatre in the province and its cheaper than a bar. Unreal.

Next time you feel gouged at a hockey game paying 9bucks for horsepiss swill you are.

Looks like some entertainment tries harder. Good night Citadel/Normands Bistro, I'll take it, we went to 3 plays this year, were regulars for years before, and it looks like seasons tickets again for next year. Just too good to pass up.


Last edited by Replacement: 05-11-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:16 PM
  #187
Auguste Escoffier
Registered User
 
Auguste Escoffier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 5,600
vCash: 500
^

I used to work at Normand's on 116th & Jasper; both spots are owned by Nordmand Campbell.

In my highly biased recommendation, I would urge all to try Normand's.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:27 PM
  #188
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,839
vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
^

I used to work at Normand's on 116th & Jasper; both spots are owned by Nordmand Campbell.

In my highly biased recommendation, I would urge all to try Normand's.
Is there any place youve worked you wouldnt recommend?

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:49 AM
  #189
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Any good locally owned breakfast/brunch places in Edmonton?

I tried the 99st diner and it was about the equivalent to a Dennys.

The 9th st diner on 109st a couple of blocks south of Jasper ave was pretty good but I dont think that restaurant is around anymore.

Always nice to find a good quality breakfast place.
La Boheme is very VERY good. Hefty price but you can go there and order a brunch item as well as a fresh fruit/fresh croissant/fresh dessert buffet and stuff your face.

The croissants there are insanely good, I think the last time I went I had 6 before my meal even made it out :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Bbq: Sloppy Hogs Roed Hus 118ave 104st

Italian: Chianti in Clareview, great bang for buck too.

Drift Food Truck is nice

My favorite burger is the lamb burger at Sugarbowl
I am a GIGANTIC italian food lover and will eat almost any italian regardless of how good/bad it is. At this point, however, I cannot, and will not, ever eat at Chianti's again. I ordered the Tortellini with the Creamy Parmesan sauce and I could've sworn I was eating tortellini with sweet donair sauce - it was disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
As mentioned, Sicilian pasta kitchen, Vons, Bistecca, Chop are decent places to check out.

I'm partial to Continental Treat as well on Whyte but not everybodies taste. Its old school. I still like the Sawmill as well. Definite old school feel to it but I like that kind of comfort. Not todays polished places and stark lighting and design.

Upper Crust is good. Nobody ever mentions High level diner. Good menu, great location, nice atmosphere. Chiantis, once crowded, is still on Whyte, still waiting. Not what it was, but still an OK choice.
I will say this too. Restaurants go in waves. Get good, get bad, depending on who's working. People have talked about bad plate prep and horribly served vegetables. Try Sorrentinos on Gateway right about now. Best vegetable presentation and servings I've seen in years. When you get a prime seafood cut and the vegetables rule the plate its amazing. I thanked the chef 3 times for preparing the sides as they should be. Rare in Edmonton. Place was empty, go figure..

For less refined dining and good value I'll always recommend Bulgogi house. Definite hole in the wall but good food, great value.
Sicilian Pasta Kitchen on the south side is amazing (not so much a fan of the one downtown). Not to mention that on Sundays they still have the pasta feast for 10.95/person!

Continental Treat has been a family favorite for a number of years - their goulash and schnitzel are amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Olive Garden? Really? Sorry but to me that place is crap. The sauces taste like they came from a jar off the shelf at the grocery store. It's really fast food level food IME.
Olive Garden IS fast food Italian. All the sauces are pre-made, all the noodles are pre-cooked, all the soups are pre-made/shipped in, all the breadsticks are pre-made/shipped in. Everything in that place is pre-made, terrible quality, prepped for fast delivery, and it STILL takes far too long to get out to the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Is there any place youve worked you wouldnt recommend?
In all fairness, Normand's on Jasper has been a favorite of my parents for 10+ years and they're extremely picky about where they go.

Some of my favorites that I haven't already listed:
Louisiana Purchase: Was great cajun food (never had legit though, so can't compare it), great portions, a little more on the expensive side but nothing crazy

Il Forno: Amazing pasta, so-so service at times, owner is amazing, prices aren't bad at all

Flamingo's (87 Ave): Classic hole-in-the-wall that my family has been going to for 22 years. Service can be hit or miss but every single time I've been there, the food has been incredible. Awesome portions, good prices, huge menu.

Jumbo: I love me some Dim Sum and if I could go here once a week I would. Service is EXTREMELY hit or miss but the food always delivers and it's damn cheap.

Lan's: Incredible pad thai, incredible service, good prices - can't say enough good things about this place. Tom (guy who works there/family owns it?) is, simply put, amazing. The first time I went there was a party of about 40 for an end of summer thing. The next time I went back was 3 months later and he remember my name AND what I had to eat - crazy! Can't say enough great things about this place.

Dan Shing: For the most part the Chinese food is fairly standard fare but it's EASILY the best won ton soup I've ever had in any city. It's ridiculous.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:56 AM
  #190
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
I should also say that the River Cree has a very nice buffet as well and last time I was there it was $12.95 - not sure if it's the same now.

The Hotel MacDonald probably has the most incredible buffet I've ever seen but it also has a huge price tag ($59/person). The atmosphere/decor is amazing, food is amazing (prime rib, crab, omelette's made to order, etc. etc.), just an all around great time if you don't mind spending the cash.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:01 AM
  #191
thinlizzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
Tom at Lan's is awesome. Can't say enough of the place other then the area. Fresh thai food cooked from scratch and very clean . No salt , wi fi and vegetarian/vegan friendly menu. I eat there about 2 times a week. Prices are affordable.

I second Chianti's on Whyte. Pass , pass , pass the gas.

I am going to try one of the Italian places someone on here I didn't recognize in the future.

If you want not a bad pick Farza in Sherwood Park isn't too bad. Prices are reasonable. I would say 7 out of 10. I am close, so it is a good when I don't feel like cooking.

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:10 AM
  #192
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,839
vCash: 3099
That probably came off wrong. I wasnt trying to be a smart ass. I was genuinely interested if AE had any more insight, interesting tidbits he would like to share, good or bad.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:11 AM
  #193
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
That probably came off wrong. I wasnt trying to be a smart ass. I was genuinely interested if AE had any more insight, interesting tidbits he would like to share, good or bad.
Oh, haha - I definitely saw that as smartass :p

Good catch... team?

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:28 AM
  #194
Six in O6
Registered User
 
Six in O6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Me and the wife went for our anniversary this year. I ordered the Bistecca. It was very good. If you want it medium rare or rare order it that way. Many times I overcompensate as lots of restaurants will under cook the steak as per order. This one doesnt though. I quite liked it. It is a little pricey. Pasta dishes can be had for a little under 20 bucks but most entrees are more than that.
I would hope they don't let you order it medium.... that would be a travesty...

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:05 AM
  #195
ekcut
Registered User
 
ekcut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ekcut
I heard Chop mentioned a few times, and I just can't get into it.

We do all of our business lunches there, mostly because it's only 5 minutes away, but very few things on the menu leave me wanting more. (ok...except maybe the parm-bacon chicken wings)

I will say I am probably saturated with Chop dining from being force fed through work, and 90% of my experience there is lunch, but I have had a few dinners with my wife there and although there is nothing 'wrong' it never wowed us and joined our date night dinning circuit.

Staff is always top notch though.

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:41 AM
  #196
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,638
vCash: 500
Tried Von's the other day and was pretty impressed, steak was well prepared and the scallops were fantastic.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:53 AM
  #197
SLURVE
Registered User
 
SLURVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Tilipia is a garbage fish that wasn't even considered fit for human consumption until such time that many oceans were fished dry of more delectable fish.

In terms of aquaculture Tilipia were only grown to clean the mess off the bottom of commercial fish tanks. They're good vacuum cleaners that eat fish feces all day long and smell like it. Have at her, enjoy.

While you're at it try the rancid goat meat at Uncle Alberts backwater saloon.
There are other fish that are bottom feeders not on fish feces but on seal crap and everyone in North America eats is cod. Yup, cod. Before going crazy knocking Tilapia (not my favorite fish but if prepared well, it is just as good as any), cod and red snapper are pbvious bottom feeders. Hey I used to be a fish monger working part time while attending post secondary and I have cut up mahi mahi, halibut (try lifting a 60 pounder flat fish onto a cutting board), salmons of all kinds, cods, kingfishes, crabs, lobster, eels, geoduck, red snappers, carp etc. The worst for worms are red snappers and cod. They feed on the bottom where seal feces are and they get huge amount of worms (sometimes a handful in their belly). Customers comeback and reveal the worms embedded in their meat (some still alive during cooking). It is not harmful but not aesthetically pleasing. I would tell them that they were lucky not getting charged extra for that added protein (worm).

Some suggestions of good eats restaturants not fancy but tasty (stay away from not family-owned franchises):
Thai and Laos- Boulouang
Italian-Pico Lino (try their gnocchi), Il Forno
Vietnamese-La Pagode
Chinese-Wok n Roll, Taipan cafe
Indian-Asian Grill
North American-Culina

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:14 PM
  #198
raab
Where's the Heart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,561
vCash: 580
Dont know if its been mentioned yet but Culina on 99th has very, very, very good food. It is pricey so it's not a place I visit often other then special dates like anniversaries etc...


Edit: ^ I see I was just beat to it.

raab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:10 PM
  #199
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,185
vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
As mentioned, Sicilian pasta kitchen, Vons, Bistecca, Chop are decent places to check out.

I'm partial to Continental Treat as well on Whyte but not everybodies taste. Its old school. I still like the Sawmill as well. Definite old school feel to it but I like that kind of comfort. Not todays polished places and stark lighting and design.

Upper Crust is good. Nobody ever mentions High level diner. Good menu, great location, nice atmosphere. Chiantis, once crowded, is still on Whyte, still waiting. Not what it was, but still an OK choice.
I will say this too. Restaurants go in waves. Get good, get bad, depending on who's working. People have talked about bad plate prep and horribly served vegetables. Try Sorrentinos on Gateway right about now. Best vegetable presentation and servings I've seen in years. When you get a prime seafood cut and the vegetables rule the plate its amazing. I thanked the chef 3 times for preparing the sides as they should be. Rare in Edmonton. Place was empty, go figure..

For less refined dining and good value I'll always recommend Bulgogi house. Definite hole in the wall but good food, great value.
Great summary.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:31 PM
  #200
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
There are other fish that are bottom feeders not on fish feces but on seal crap and everyone in North America eats is cod. Yup, cod. Before going crazy knocking Tilapia (not my favorite fish but if prepared well, it is just as good as any), cod and red snapper are pbvious bottom feeders. Hey I used to be a fish monger working part time while attending post secondary and I have cut up mahi mahi, halibut (try lifting a 60 pounder flat fish onto a cutting board), salmons of all kinds, cods, kingfishes, crabs, lobster, eels, geoduck, red snappers, carp etc. The worst for worms are red snappers and cod. They feed on the bottom where seal feces are and they get huge amount of worms (sometimes a handful in their belly). Customers comeback and reveal the worms embedded in their meat (some still alive during cooking). It is not harmful but not aesthetically pleasing. I would tell them that they were lucky not getting charged extra for that added protein (worm).
Oh yeah, without a doubt cod and snapper are not on my list either. For fish what I like is Salmon, Trout, halibut, sole, mahi, Ahi Tuna and that tends to keep me smiling. I rarely have bad experiences with those fish. I rarely have good experiences with Cod, tilapia, snapper. Garbage fish basically. Why not buy quality?

Its funny in that regard. People will spare no dime when it comes to a quality cut side of beef. But with fish its somehow cutting cost time?! A great quality fish is so much more enjoyable.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.