HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Still Random After All These Years... (RTOTD v.2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 07:21 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Looking at getting the wife a new laptop for mothers day. The main purpose is for photos and videos and general web surfing along with some word documents. Probably don't need anything greater than the $300 ones on sale now (4GB Mem/320 Hard Drive).

Any advice for a novice?

Old
05-01-2013, 03:31 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

My Arabic IV final exam was the hardest test I have taken in my life.

we all had lunch at a Mexican restaurant in lieu of having class

Old
05-01-2013, 03:38 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Looking at getting the wife a new laptop for mothers day. The main purpose is for photos and videos and general web surfing along with some word documents. Probably don't need anything greater than the $300 ones on sale now (4GB Mem/320 Hard Drive).

Any advice for a novice?
I got an Acer for something like $400 back in January of 2011 just for school. I use it for notes, general web surfing, streaming/watching TV/Movies and downloading music. Just basic stuff. It's still kickin'.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:51 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I got an Acer for something like $400 back in January of 2011 just for school. I use it for notes, general web surfing, streaming/watching TV/Movies and downloading music. Just basic stuff. It's still kickin'.
I've looked at a bunch of sites, and surprisingly, the best deals so far are at Best Buy. No, really. Most are around $300.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:55 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

My brother and a bunch of friends actually got together to buy my laptop for me as an early bday gift when I first started university. I'm not sure where they got it, but I think it was Best Buy.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:55 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Actually I just asked. He got it from Amazon.

Old
05-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:

Any advice for a novice?
with that price range you're not going to get much wiggle room for specs. i5 with 4gbs of ram looks to be the top shelf at that price range. if at all possible I would suggested getting an SSD. between the SSD and ram this is where she will see the most performance increase.

I would go Dell/Lenovo/Asus

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0%20-%20%24400

Old
05-01-2013, 09:24 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Of course I'm going to suggest something from Dell, Inspiron 15 start around 350.

Old
05-04-2013, 03:17 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Slapshot is on right now. The real rated R version. FlixW (ch.171)

Old
05-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I'm headed to Notre Dame next year, and college is starting to feel awfully real. My profile picture is now me in front of the "PLAY LIKE A CHAMPION TODAY" sign, I've been added to the facebook group of all the people in the scholarship program I'll be in, and I've already had discussions with their club hockey team about joining.

Life comes awfully fast, doesn't it?

Old
05-07-2013, 11:30 PM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I'm headed to Notre Dame next year, and college is starting to feel awfully real. My profile picture is now me in front of the "PLAY LIKE A CHAMPION TODAY" sign, I've been added to the facebook group of all the people in the scholarship program I'll be in, and I've already had discussions with their club hockey team about joining.

Yes it does, young padawan, and it just keeps getting faster and faster the older you get, until one day you get the notice for your 30 year high school reunion and you wonder where the time went to.

Enjoy your time in South Bend, and try to savor the experiences.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:12 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:

you have no idea.... wait til you have kids and you look up and they are going to college when it seems like you were just there... and then your son joins your fraternity and you go back to visit him and go to a party.... and you realize YOU are the creepy old alum that you always swore you'd never be...

have fun... but dont forget to study...

got a major in mind or gonna wing it?

Old
05-08-2013, 01:40 AM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
you have no idea.... wait til you have kids and you look up and they are going to college when it seems like you were just there... and then your son joins your fraternity and you go back to visit him and go to a party.... and you realize YOU are the creepy old alum that you always swore you'd never be...

Creepy old alum...yeah, I can relate.

What fraternity you in, doc?

Old
05-08-2013, 01:56 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneGuy View Post
Creepy old alum...yeah, I can relate.

What fraternity you in, doc?
Lambda Chi Alpha

Old
05-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:

Something sciency. Either engineering or something like physics.

Old
05-08-2013, 07:59 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Just got the invite to 168th Annual Commencement at the University of Notre Dame.

Don't think we'll get up to a game next year since Matt is leaving, but if I do, I'll let you know.

Let me know what hall you get too.

Old
05-08-2013, 11:27 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:

Small world... I took my last undergraduate exam this morning. Not at Notre Dame, obviously, because my family is poor, but I'm done with college (hopefully).

Now I just have to go find a job in a highly competitive, highly political field... sounds wonderful, doesn't it?

Old
05-09-2013, 07:08 AM
Preddownsouth

Quote:

Any advice for a novice?
I know it's probably too late for this, but I will put it on here anyway. Woot has a refurbished HP Pavilion G7-2340DX Laptop, 17.3" HD+ BrightView LED, AMD A6-4400M Dual-Core 2.7GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB SATA, HDMI, USB 3.0, Radeon HD 7520G, 802.11n, Win 8 today for $330.00.

http://www.woot.com/offers/hp-17-3-d...778438#tracked

Old
05-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Predatorbill

vCash: 152
The other forum, that at lot of us started out at appears to be gone, or is it just me.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Predatorbill

vCash: 152
Great to see TV with the shutout tonight.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatorbill View Post
The other forum, that at lot of us started out at appears to be gone, or is it just me.
If its the forum I think you're talking about, it is still there. They changed the menu on the site though, so you have to search a little to find it...

Old
05-09-2013, 10:35 PM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Lambda Chi Alpha
Alpha Tau Omega here.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:53 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneGuy View Post
Alpha Tau Omega here.
well, we all make mistakes when we are young

(j/k of course... but I will admit I used to hit golf balls at the ATO house... its was about a 6-iron from the vacant lot next to the chop house... and then after I left the ATO bought the vacant lot and now they are next door)

Old
05-10-2013, 12:27 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I was accused of being in a frat a couple of weeks ago. It offended the hell out of me

05-10-2013, 01:02 AM
predfan24

Quote:

Have fun man! But also remember life is all about balance and college is no different. Don't be like me. I went to college for two years but I was more about partying then class. Of course you want to have fun and be social but again balance is key young one. I am now trying to join the Air National Guard up here in Nashville to get them to pay for the rest of my schooling and get some good training and job experience in a growing field. I was lucky and found a good job at about 21 that lasted me till just a few months ago. Now I have to find some sort of training. I'm just about to finish EMT school and it's fun and interesting but it's not what I want to do long term as a job. I imagine at 26 I'll be one of the Grandpas at basic but it's worth it for my future.

If I could go back I'd practice balance even though I don't think there was any way to talk sense to 18,19,20 year old me. From what I can gather from this board however you seem like you have a good head on your shoulders. Good luck with school. Study hard and have a good time.

Closed Thread