HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Flyers Overhaul

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2013, 03:32 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I would love to add a sniper to Giroux-Voracek line but when I watched the playoffs I can't see this Flyers team survivng a long playoff run. I think they can beat any team with their talent when healthy but I think they would be ground down eventually. Their biggest hitter is 5'9" 188lbs(Rinaldo)even their one PF is under 200lbs (Simmonds). Look at a long series against OTT, WAS, or TOR then having to play BOS, NYR, or PITT.

Malone probably goes back to PITT. Clowe will likely ask too much $. I wouldn't think PHI would be a detination for Iginla. Maybe resign in PITT or go back west. I like Horton but he seems to be breaking down more often.

This is why I can see Homer doing something with the #11 pick to get Ryan and a later pick. Add a sniper and some size.
I wouldn't give up that much for Ryan. He's not a power forward and if people think he's a power forward, they're going to be extremely disappointed.

At this point, if Holmgren decides to go in full rebuild mode, there'll be several pieces moved. He's got a good group of players that he can move and I don't see there being any problems with regards to acquiring some good young talent for some of the roster players that are currently in Philadelphia.

I also think something else is very telling. There was an article written not too long ago in which Holmgren and Pryor both state that there's no magic cure for finding a number one defenseman and that one will need to be drafted and developed. For that reason, I really can't see them trading the pick and that I have to think that a defenseman will be drafted.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:17 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I wouldn't give up that much for Ryan. He's not a power forward and if people think he's a power forward, they're going to be extremely disappointed.

At this point, if Holmgren decides to go in full rebuild mode, there'll be several pieces moved. He's got a good group of players that he can move and I don't see there being any problems with regards to acquiring some good young talent for some of the roster players that are currently in Philadelphia.

I also think something else is very telling. There was an article written not too long ago in which Holmgren and Pryor both state that there's no magic cure for finding a number one defenseman and that one will need to be drafted and developed. For that reason, I really can't see them trading the pick and that I have to think that a defenseman will be drafted.
I don't think he is a PF but he is similar to Neal. Not a true PF but a goal scorer with good size.

I agree they will have to develop their own #1 dman long term but I still see this franchise in win now mode as usual.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:48 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
If you can get Ryan for the 11th pick you do it. He would fit right in here with the strong young core the Flyers have to build around. The Flyers have a good team and should be able to make a push.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:13 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I don't think he is a PF but he is similar to Neal. Not a true PF but a goal scorer with good size.

I agree they will have to develop their own #1 dman long term but I still see this franchise in win now mode as usual.
Not likely. What have they done in the past calander year that tells you that they're in win now mode? Win now mode implemented on this team will subsequently become fail now mode.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:14 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
If you can get Ryan for the 11th pick you do it. He would fit right in here with the strong young core the Flyers have to build around. The Flyers have a good team and should be able to make a push.
No you don't, because defense.

Old
05-08-2013, 01:36 AM
JABEE

I think a priority this offseason should be resigning Matt Read. I think he's a player you win with and I don't want to see him hitting the open market after this season. He's still young and versatile. He can play on a shut down line or be an offensive threat on a top line. He has a great set of hands, a nice shot, and he is fast.

I would also be try talking to Nashville this summer and find out if there is a possibility Weber could be moved.

I don't see a way that the Flyers can add a top pairing defenseman this off season without giving up a lot.

Bring in a new coach and make it a priority to find someone that will not use Couturier exclusively in a shutdown role. I think a lot of Couturier's struggles this year are due to the fact that Laviolette is leaning on him so hard to play this one role. When he makes a mistake his minutes get cut.

Couturier is used to be a top offensive player. You can't just use him exclusively as a defensive forward. At some point, you have to give him a chance to succeed in other roles.

Let's hope Nichushkin slides in the draft.

Old
05-08-2013, 06:04 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
No you don't, because defense.
Idk. I think I would deal for Ryan for the #11 pick. I'm all for picking a defender at #11, but if a guy like Ryan can be had for that pick, you gotta do it.

Old
05-08-2013, 06:42 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Idk. I think I would deal for Ryan for the #11 pick. I'm all for picking a defender at #11, but if a guy like Ryan can be had for that pick, you gotta do it.
would certainly solidify the top line, aid even strength scoring, right away compared to a player that may take a few years to pan out

Old
05-08-2013, 07:07 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
I think a priority this offseason should be resigning Matt Read. I think he's a player you win with and I don't want to see him hitting the open market after this season. He's still young and versatile. He can play on a shut down line or be an offensive threat on a top line. He has a great set of hands, a nice shot, and he is fast.

I would also be try talking to Nashville this summer and find out if there is a possibility Weber could be moved.

I don't see a way that the Flyers can add a top pairing defenseman this off season without giving up a lot.

Bring in a new coach and make it a priority to find someone that will not use Couturier exclusively in a shutdown role. I think a lot of Couturier's struggles this year are due to the fact that Laviolette is leaning on him so hard to play this one role. When he makes a mistake his minutes get cut.

Couturier is used to be a top offensive player. You can't just use him exclusively as a defensive forward. At some point, you have to give him a chance to succeed in other roles.

Let's hope Nichushkin slides in the draft.
Read is a must in re-signing, but he will cost probably around 4 a season which could be hard for the Flyers to do. Not to be smart, but who do you want to be our shutdown center if not Couturier? He is the best we have to play that role and his offense just isn't there yet. I don't mind him starting out in that role and then seeing if he can improve his skating and scoring as the seasons go on.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:04 AM
FLYERSFAN18

It would be hard to trade that #11 pick for Ryan considering how badly we need a young defenseman in the system. But if it was just the 11th pick I would definitely do it for a known 30 goal scorer. He could probably score more than that getting to play on the top line with Giroux full time and getting time with the first power play unit. Then we would also have read as a possible trading piece for a young defenseman to pair with coburn. I would like to keep read but in this hypothetical situation I don't see him here long term. Maybe he could be traded for a guy like spurgeon from Minnesota. Not sure what their needs are or if they would even be willing to move him. But he would look good paired with coburn

Old
05-08-2013, 11:55 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Read is a must in re-signing, but he will cost probably around 4 a season which could be hard for the Flyers to do. Not to be smart, but who do you want to be our shutdown center if not Couturier? He is the best we have to play that role and his offense just isn't there yet. I don't mind him starting out in that role and then seeing if he can improve his skating and scoring as the seasons go on.
I'd be very much in favour of putting Couturier in a better position to show his offensive side. He has been relegated to the defensive-centre spot and asked to make do with a parade of low-scoring wingers.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:06 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
the Flyers are in a tough spot with Read no doubt. he could command 4 million or more on the open market. not sure they can afford to give him that contract expecially if your looking to add a sniper to the top line and fix the defense. of course if the Flyers amnesty both Briere and Bryzgalov this offseason then that likely changes.
I would be frightened at the thought of Holmgren having 12 million to spend this summer

Old
05-08-2013, 12:23 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
the Flyers are in a tough spot with Read no doubt. he could command 4 million or more on the open market. not sure they can afford to give him that contract expecially if your looking to add a sniper to the top line and fix the defense. of course if the Flyers amnesty both Briere and Bryzgalov this offseason then that likely changes.
I would be frightened at the thought of Holmgren having 12 million to spend this summer
If Read's agent is asking for the moon, I'd be in favour of Holmgren looking to flip him for a high-upside, but not yet established, defenseman.

Old
05-08-2013, 03:19 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Not likely. What have they done in the past calander year that tells you that they're in win now mode? Win now mode implemented on this team will subsequently become fail now mode.
Offered 5 #1s to NSH and $100M contract to Weber
Offered over $100M to Suter and Parise each

The best players on this team are now between 24 - 30 y/o if they are not in win now (five year window) mode when will they be?

Old
05-08-2013, 05:54 PM

I think the strongest asset for Read is his contract. His performance against that cap hit is superb. If you inflate the cap hit, Read obviously becomes less valuable and more ordinary.

Old
05-08-2013, 11:20 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
It would be hard to trade that #11 pick for Ryan considering how badly we need a young defenseman in the system.
I'm going to LOL so hard when we pick a forward at 11.

Ryan for 11...thats a great deal every day of the week...

Old
05-08-2013, 11:43 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
I think the strongest asset for Read is his contract. His performance against that cap hit is superb. If you inflate the cap hit, Read obviously becomes less valuable and more ordinary.
Well, I think that's obviously true to a point, but even with an average NHL contract (for his role), he's our most versatile forward--looks good on any of the 1-3rd lines, kills penalties, plays the PP, etc.

Old
05-09-2013, 07:14 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I'm going to LOL so hard when we pick a forward at 11.

Ryan for 11...thats a great deal every day of the week...
Anaheim aren't making that trade.

Old
05-09-2013, 07:31 AM
flyersfan187

With the 11th pick in the draft you should get the best player available to help your team win. Ryan just might be that. A line of Voracek/Giroux/Ryan would be nice to see for seasons and seasons and seasons to come!

Old
05-09-2013, 08:27 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
If Read's agent is asking for the moon, I'd be in favour of Holmgren looking to flip him for a high-upside, but not yet established, defenseman.
I agree. However, that offseason there is also going to be Couturier and Schenn looking for new deals. Granted those are RFA deals and will be presumably for less money, but I could see any one of them being dealt. I do think Read would be the odd-man out in that situation though. It would not surprise me to see one of them dealt at the draft. I don't know about what he would return, but I think Read could fetch a first, maybe more.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Well, I think that's obviously true to a point, but even with an average NHL contract (for his role), he's our most versatile forward--looks good on any of the 1-3rd lines, kills penalties, plays the PP, etc.
He wouldn't nearly be as highly thought of if his cap hit was $3m, he's not overly special - he's just cheap!

Old
05-09-2013, 09:04 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
ya, lets give up the 11th OA pick for Ryan now when he's probably coming here for free in a couple of years

Old
05-09-2013, 09:17 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
ya, lets give up the 11th OA pick for Ryan now when he's probably coming here for free in a couple of years
Eh, I wouldn't pencil him in any time soon. RJ Umberger was a Ryan-type guy who loved the Flyers and he has not returned to this point. I think he even has a Flyers tattoo. In theory the Flyers may be #1 on his list. But if a team offers him bigger bucks, I'm willing to bet his list may change.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:10 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Eh, I wouldn't pencil him in any time soon. RJ Umberger was a Ryan-type guy who loved the Flyers and he has not returned to this point. I think he even has a Flyers tattoo. In theory the Flyers may be #1 on his list. But if a team offers him bigger bucks, I'm willing to bet his list may change.
Umberger was a Penguins fan growing up

Old
05-09-2013, 10:16 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Umberger was a Penguins fan growing up
You sure about that? I know he is from Pitt, but I remember there being much talk of him being a Flyers fan and having a Flyers tattoo prior to his joining the Flyers.

Closed Thread