HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Oil Kings Thread: 2012-2013 Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Brewster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
After Sunday's MTL-OTT game I don't think many want to miss that. Plus the potential for the Nucks to cause another riot.
Live WHL final > televised NHL first round, especially if a hometown team is in the aforementioned final.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:22 PM
scid14

vCash: 50

Old
05-07-2013, 08:27 PM
ohheyhemsky

Any streams for this? Or know if it's on Telus Optik TV?

Old
05-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Oil Kings lose 3-1 tonight. St.Croix with the loan goal.

Old
05-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

You know what was more disappointing than the Oil Kings effort/loss tonight? The Rexall crowd. Good lord did that crowd suck. Maybe the Oilers have killed the will/spirit of Edmonton hockey fans or something. I've experienced louder graveyards.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:09 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
You know what was more disappointing than the Oil Kings effort/loss tonight? The Rexall crowd. Good lord did that crowd suck. Maybe the Oilers have killed the will/spirit of Edmonton hockey fans or something. I've experienced louder graveyards.
Strongly agree. The Oil Kings generated 20 shots in the 3rd period despite the crowd not because of it. The fans need to show up louder and in far greater numbers tomorrow night.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Strongly agree. The Oil Kings generated 20 shots in the 3rd period despite the crowd not because of it. The fans need to show up louder and in far greater numbers tomorrow night.
It's a big problem with Edmonton crowds right now. The fans only cheer when the team scores or is winning, other then that... they're sitting on their hands. That's always been the case during the regular season for Edmonton based teams but the playoffs are where we traditionally come alive. The crowds were fantastic during the Oil Kings' playoff run last year so I'm not sure what happened...

Again, Edmonton's sports apathy is probably Oilers related.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Hah. Now Brownlee is chirping at me on Twitter for complaining about the Oil Kings' crowd. "They're getting schooled - play better and you'll be cheered."

********. Rexall Place was a morgue right from the opening puck drop.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Brewster

Quote:
It probably had something to do with Portland scoring on every half decent shot they had in the first period.......

Anyways, I have reasonable confidence that the Oil Kings will win tomorrow. Apathetic efforts such as the ones we've seen in the last two (arguably three) games are uncharacteristic of this squad and I think they will snap out of their funk in a big way.

One of the Kings' major problems has been playing scared and in awe of Portland's skill. They demonstrated in this game that they are able to skate with the Hawks and can stand toe to toe with them as long as they play it smart.

Now they just have to put together a full 60 and the series is a best of three.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
It probably had something to do with Portland scoring on every half decent shot they had in the first period.......

Anyways, I have reasonable confidence that the Oil Kings will win tomorrow. Apathetic efforts such as the ones we've seen in the last two (arguably three) games are uncharacteristic of this squad and I think they will snap out of their funk in a big way.

One of the Kings' major problems has been playing scared and in awe of Portland's skill. They demonstrated in this game that they are able to skate with the Hawks and can stand toe to toe with them as long as they play it smart.

Now they just have to put together a full 60 and the series is a best of three.
That definitely quieted the crowd some more but see my last post...

The Oil Kings are doing a lot of standing around and watching. Samuelsson is completely ineffective right now. I'm thinking that knee on knee in the last game hurt him a lot.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:09 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Hah. Now Brownlee is chirping at me on Twitter for complaining about the Oil Kings' crowd. "They're getting schooled - play better and you'll be cheered."

I dont think it was that bad, but really, wtf did you expect? When a team is getting ground to dust, their fans dont usually respond with rousing cheers. That is to be expected really.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 05-08-2013 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Keep it to the topic at hand
Old
05-08-2013, 12:51 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Rexall crowd has always been overrated. It's a terrible quiet atmosphere.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Also doesn't help having a bunch of old people,tell you to shut up and watch the game. That happen to me last week and to a friend tonight.

Don't like noise? Watch the game at ****ing home.

Old
05-08-2013, 01:04 AM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I dont think it was that bad, but really, wtf did you expect? When a team is getting ground to dust, their fans dont usually respond with rousing cheers. That is to be expected really.
I agree, it wasn't dead in there at all, but it sure could've used some pep, no doubt. I was in section 223 tonight and I swear it was the senior citizens section. They'd come to support the team, but they weren't gonna be the rah rah types. But they weren't dead silent either, booing the ref and applauding good plays by the OK's.

That said, I can see why the crowd should be expected to be help kickstart these kids, as they aren't multimillionaires who should be able to motivate themselves.

Old
05-08-2013, 01:26 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
I agree, it wasn't dead in there at all, but it sure could've used some pep, no doubt. I was in section 223 tonight and I swear it was the senior citizens section. They'd come to support the team, but they weren't gonna be the rah rah types. But they weren't dead silent either, booing the ref and applauding good plays by the OK's.

That said, I can see why the crowd should be expected to be help kickstart these kids, as they aren't multimillionaires who should be able to motivate themselves.
This was a midweek crowd too. That makes a big difference. I remember watching Oil King games when the actual number of fans in the building numbered in the hundreds, not the thousands. Now THAT was bad and something to complain about.

Old
05-08-2013, 01:26 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Rexall crowd has always been overrated. It's a terrible quiet atmosphere.
agreed, one of the best in the past ten years in the 06 run, terrible ever since. I like the nose bleeds more than lower bowl some times at Oil games

Old
05-08-2013, 03:43 AM
puckfan13

I wasn't like super impressed by Jones that I thought he's a surefire number one. Albeit, it's only one game and he looked better at WJC's. Portland is so deep, he's playing PP2 and on a 1A pairing with Wotherspoon. I don't know if he's quite at a Pietrangelo/Doughty level, I definitely think NHL is going to be an adjustment for him. Is he going to be a franchise level defenseman or a first pairing? I still think that's a question, he could just come away being a Bouwmeester type but we will see. Didn't come away wowed in a 1st overall sense but I have to stress it's only one game. Will have my eye on him again tomorrow, I'm hoping he is able to control the play more and take things over and calm them down in the defensive zone a little more.

Lazar also brought his game today driving the puck to the net with a bunch of great scoring chances. Once again, don't think his playmaking is ever going to be written about. However, this is a player I want on my team in the playoffs seven days a week and twice on Sundays, for whatever that's worth. I'm not really comparing their skillsets, but in the same way a player like Dave Bolland comes alive in the playoffs the same can be said for Lazar IMO. Same type of player in that sense.

Last edited by puckfan13: 05-08-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old
05-08-2013, 08:02 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Also doesn't help having a bunch of old people,tell you to shut up and watch the game. That happen to me last week and to a friend tonight.

I'm...um, older, and you can sit with me. I ake more noise than anyone in my section.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

I've not once seen this occur at any event. I've seen it misinterpreted several times.

What people will say is sit your adhd ass down, stop taking pictures of people across the aisle and standing up waving at them like giggling school girls while the game is going on. Or mentioning that you're leaning over the entire game thereby preventing any view for people behind them.
Or people commenting on exactly how many times they have to get up and down and not see the game in progress as people with the attention span of gnats scurry off down the row and aisle every few minutes in search of the the latest need/want from concessions, beer stand, or merchandise while the game is going on.
Or people that standup and highfive each hit on the ice like a goal was scored.

Or finally, the 1K imbeciles in attendance that see it as their life long mission to get up on their feet and try to start drunk wave the entire game. These individuals usually being so inebriated they couldn't tell you the score or what event they are at. Could be Megadeath.

So next time you think somebody is tapping your sholder because you're cheering too loud you probably got it wrong. Said fans probably want to actually see the game and have others in attendance actually watch the game.

Could be that..

Last edited by Replacement: 05-08-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old
05-08-2013, 08:37 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Live WHL final > televised NHL first round, especially if a hometown team is in the aforementioned final.
If it was wouldn't the building be sold out days before?

Old
05-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:

I think this attitude by Brownlee is one that is shared by a lot of fans who go to the games (Oilers and Oil Kings) and I think it sucks. If you like the team cheer for them, don't sit there and pout if they're not playing well, do something about it that might help. Fans at Rexall nowadays are like those judgmental parents who only love their kids when they're successful. You really think that helps? I'm pretty sure that poisonous attitude by the crowd contributed to the Oilers poor play at home down the stretch. Why not show some encouragement when they're struggling, it makes a positive difference. Sometimes the team needs a pick me up and the fans can provide that. If the fans start cheering to get the team going it can really energize the team and give the players a boost.

The Oil Kings players love playing down in Portland because they've got a rocking loud building. Imagine how much they'd enjoy playing in front of a crowd that was cheering for them instead.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:07 PM
PumpkinBomb

So far this series is playing out almost identical to last year. Oil Kings steal game 1 without playing well. Portland dominating game 2. Game 3, Oil Kings lose, but prove to themselves that they can play their game, and play with the portland team.

Hopefully the rest of the series plays out that way too.

It seems like every goal in this entire series has been scored off a rush. The Oil kings, until the 3rd period (and even then a bit) aren't going to the dirty areas to score goals. I hope they're not too banged up. But seriously, if they're going to get shots off from the high slot or the point they need more bodies going hard to the net. I see Foster, Wruck and St. Croix doing it but no one else.

Lazar has a bad habit of rushing hard to the net, but not stopping there. He then curls away from the net, same with Sammy. Legault is busting his ass to get pucks out of the corner but there are no bodies in front of the net for him to pass to, or to get rebounds when he gets it back to the point.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:13 PM
PumpkinBomb

Also, the power play: they need to move their feet. It's just 5 guys standing still out there.

Portland is playing 2 forwards high, and 2 low. That leaves the middle wide open. They need 1 guy down low, 1 guy in front of the net, one guy in the center of the ice and their D floating between the top of the circle and the blue line. There are open seams that they aren't using because they're just standing still.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I'm...um, older, and you can sit with me. I ake more noise than anyone in my section.
Sounds good to me

I always get dirty looks for chanting things. People don't understand this isn't a casual, Sunday brunch or church event, this is a hockey game.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:31 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Sounds good to me

I always get dirty looks for chanting things. People don't understand this isn't a casual, Sunday brunch or church event, this is a hockey game.
It's the same crap at Oiler games, football games and concerts in this city. Jump up because of a big play and the guy behind you gives you a dirty look.

Closed Thread