HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL.com announces Calder Trophy Finalists

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Rookie d-men will always be disadvantaged 'cause playing surprisingly good enough defense, do not cut it unfortunately. Geez, the league or whoever have a tough time understanding that the Norris trophy should go to the most complete d-man and not just the most offensive one, so do you all really imagine they'd go with a rookie who played good defense? Even if he ends up being a rock defensively? Even if he's lights out defensively, if his offensive numbers won't improve, he'll never get a nomination.....so imagine when you can choose amongst forwards and even goalies....

People should calm down though about that and understand that somehow....it's a blessing in disguise. Those awards are just another reason to add a few dollars when comes the contract.

By the way....it doesn't make Brodin less a good player. This kid is a gem. If the idea though it to recognize the most gems of the league....well invent other categories. Defensive d-man and offensive d-man. Offensive rookies and defensive rookies.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:02 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
They both sucked in comparison to Saad.
lol.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Resorting to making up stuff is embarrassing. Yakupov was never allowed to run around trying to score. That's why his point totals didn't blow every other rookie's out of the water.

Nobody should care about team success when judging the Calder. It's not a team award and rookies are generally not the best players on their team. Even a rookie Crosby (who oddly enough didn't win the Calder) with 100+ points couldn't bring the Penguins past 29th in the league.

If Saad formed a potent unit with a superstar, Yakupov formed a potent unit with non-superstars. Saad is a joke of a pick. It should be Brodin, Yakupov, and Gallagher
Couldn't you just as well say that Saad played well enough that he earned his 1st line minutes? I mean, coaches usually don't randomly put rookies on a line with their superstar centre. If Yakupov wasn't playing in the top 6 until April, to me that's more of a negative as in "he wasn't good enough to play with the skill players quite yet".

For the record, I think Brodin should have won the trophy. Top pairing, stabilizing influence on Suter, and leading all rookies in ice time.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:18 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Huberdeau was the one that should have been left out. Oh well.
really?

I think he's the one that wins.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:53 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

vCash: 50
Neutral fan with no skin in the game......This was such a tough catagory and there were 3 guys left out who could have all won this award.

Congrads to those that made it!

Old
05-07-2013, 05:09 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
If Galchenyuk played 1 PP shift a game I think he'd lead in rookie scoring.
If Galchenyuk didn't produce at an absolutely atrocious rate on the PP, then maybe he would have earned more PP minutes.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:11 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
Couldn't you just as well say that Saad played well enough that he earned his 1st line minutes? I mean, coaches usually don't randomly put rookies on a line with their superstar centre. If Yakupov wasn't playing in the top 6 until April, to me that's more of a negative as in "he wasn't good enough to play with the skill players quite yet".

For the record, I think Brodin should have won the trophy. Top pairing, stabilizing influence on Suter, and leading all rookies in ice time.
Yea Saad does have that going for him. However, playing well with two top20 players in the NHL isn't that much of an accomplishment. We've seen superstars carry weaker players. Chicago didn't put Saad up there simply because he was the best option - they wanted to ensure that they had deep team.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:57 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Going to be a close race between Huberdeau and Saad.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:32 PM
dre2112

Quote:
If Galchenyuk didn't produce at an absolutely atrocious rate on the PP, then maybe he would have earned more PP minutes.
What? Galchenyuk doesn't get any PP time unless there's 5 seconds left and both 1 and 2 PP units have played and the puck is in the defensive zone.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Jbcraig1883

I'm a Wild fan. Yes, I think very highly of Brodin. It would have been nice for him to be nominated but him not being nominated does not make me want to put down the other rookies listed in this thread. I'd rather have Brodin be a big part of the Wild for the next 15 years and be a staple with Suter than him win an award.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:40 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Saad played on a team loaded with talent. I don't think he should even be nominated. In a few years, he will be considered average.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:14 PM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Saad played on a team loaded with talent. I don't think he should even be nominated. In a few years, he will be considered average.
Really? What lottery numbers should i pick? How much am i going to win? Since you can see the future and everything.

Lol get outta here. Comments like this are so dumb.

Old
05-08-2013, 09:04 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Now it makes sense:

Quote:
PHWA President Kevin Allen of USA Today said a record 178 PHWA members cast ballots, with 46.4 percent coming from East cities, 32.8 percent from West and 20.8 percent being international chapter members.
I would ask the question: "How is this even fair?", but it would be pointless.

And people actually claim there is no such thing as "east coast bias".

Old
05-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Yea Saad does have that going for him. However, playing well with two top20 players in the NHL isn't that much of an accomplishment. We've seen superstars carry weaker players. Chicago didn't put Saad up there simply because he was the best option - they wanted to ensure that they had deep team.
That's not the case at all. Saad would be shifted from the 1st line to the 2nd line, in favor of Sharp... but that's hardly a knock on Saad.

Not necessarily directed at you, but if people who are knocking Saad had watched this kid play all year, they wouldn't be saying some of the things that are being thrown around here. There's no doubt that he belongs in the top 6 and for how good he played in the beginning of the season, I'm surprised he didn't put up more points. He plays a great 2-way game and competes hard every shift. He's Andrew Ladd reincarnate, IMO.

Old
05-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

I wish somebody could explain why Yakupov wasnt nominated? Let me guess his first goal celebration ruffled some feathers!?

Old
05-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
That's not the case at all. Saad would be shifted from the 1st line to the 2nd line, in favor of Sharp... but that's hardly a knock on Saad.

Not necessarily directed at you, but if people who are knocking Saad had watched this kid play all year, they wouldn't be saying some of the things that are being thrown around here. There's no doubt that he belongs in the top 6 and for how good he played in the beginning of the season, I'm surprised he didn't put up more points. He plays a great 2-way game and competes hard every shift. He's Andrew Ladd reincarnate, IMO.
what? he sux, what the hell. He's made his living on the coat-tails of stars. boooo......

now, how do I trade to get him on my team now that I've deflated his worth with utter nonsensical arguments?

I think Saad is a great kid, and will only get better. But I see Gallagher getting the edge because he should'nt even be on this list. The surprise factor alone should give him the edge. A 5ft 8in 5th round pick playing such a great year on a team that won it's division....a year after trying to dig so deep it would end up in the AHL. He played so well, even Don "I hate Montreal because I never beat them in my day" Cherry loves the kid....now that is saying something.

Old
05-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardacus View Post
I wish somebody could explain why Yakupov wasnt nominated? Let me guess his first goal celebration ruffled some feathers!?
simple. he recieved less votes than the three named here.

And maybe they didn't like his all-around game as much as they liked theirs?

Old
05-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Andrew Shaw: 5'10" player, went undrafted for 2 years and went in the 5th round in 2011. Put up 23 points in 37 games in his rookie year.

Sounds awfully similar...

Old
05-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
Quote:
I wish I could answer this question. I have no idea why the leading scorer isn't nominated. I think the working theory is that a lot of his points came in the last month of the season, but if we can't count the last month of the year then last year RNH should have won it instead of Lando.

Another theory (which I believe is true) is that most of the writers who submit ballots are eastern based and are asleep by the time the Oilers' play.

I guess also there's a difference between "nominated" and "finalist"? But this decision shows how much of a farce this trophy (including the nomination process) really is.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:00 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Now it makes sense:

I would ask the question: "How is this even fair?", but it would be pointless.

And people actually claim there is no such thing as "east coast bias".
Does it actually shock you that the majority of hockey writers in North America are based on the East coast? Come on.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
Andrew Shaw: 5'10" player, went undrafted for 2 years and went in the 5th round in 2011. Put up 23 points in 37 games in his rookie year.

Sounds awfully similar...
no. Yakupov, the undisputed Calder champion was drafted 1st overall....so he MUST be the greatest. sheesh

Old
05-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
I would guess that by the time he caught fire in April, the voters had pretty much penciled in Huberdeau and Saad (the two most consistent rookies) as two of the finalists. Yakupov was left to battle it out with Gallagher and Brodin.

Yakupov tied with Huberdeau and was only 3 points ahead of Gallagher and 4 ahead of Saad.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
I guess also there's a difference between "nominated" and "finalist"? But this decision shows how much of a farce this trophy (including the nomination process) really is.
For the millionth time: there is no such thing as a nomination. Every player that meets the eligibility criteria for an award is eligible to receive votes on the 10-7-5-3-1 ballot the PHWA currently uses. Once the points are tallied, the NHL reveals the "finalists", who are really just the top 3 voting-points earners, as a way of creating fake suspense for their Oscar-ripoff awards show. And considering they aren't even doing that this year, it makes little sense as to why they they didn't just name the winners and release the results.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
For the millionth time: there is no such thing as a nomination. Every player that meets the eligibility criteria for an award is eligible to receive votes on the 10-7-5-3-1 ballot the PHWA currently uses. Once the points are tallied, the NHL reveals the "finalists", who are really just the top 3 voting-points earners, as a way of creating fake suspense for their Oscar-ripoff awards show. And considering they aren't even doing that this year, it makes little sense as to why they they didn't just name the winners and release the results.
It's annoying. I have no idea when they are releasing the other awards or when they are releasing the name of the winner.

I looked on their website, I googled it and I'm still having trouble finding this information.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:21 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Does it actually shock you that the majority of hockey writers in North America are based on the East coast? Come on.
No, the fact that the majority of hockey writers on on the East Cost doesn't shock me at all.

What I'm saying is that they should more evenly distribute the ballots. Not every single hockey writer needs to have a vote. It should be something like 40% West, 40% East and 20% International.

Closed Thread