HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL.com announces Calder Trophy Finalists

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2013, 03:02 PM
  #626
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,969
vCash: 500
Rookie d-men will always be disadvantaged 'cause playing surprisingly good enough defense, do not cut it unfortunately. Geez, the league or whoever have a tough time understanding that the Norris trophy should go to the most complete d-man and not just the most offensive one, so do you all really imagine they'd go with a rookie who played good defense? Even if he ends up being a rock defensively? Even if he's lights out defensively, if his offensive numbers won't improve, he'll never get a nomination.....so imagine when you can choose amongst forwards and even goalies....

People should calm down though about that and understand that somehow....it's a blessing in disguise. Those awards are just another reason to add a few dollars when comes the contract.

By the way....it doesn't make Brodin less a good player. This kid is a gem. If the idea though it to recognize the most gems of the league....well invent other categories. Defensive d-man and offensive d-man. Offensive rookies and defensive rookies.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 03:02 PM
  #627
AKL
#AnyoneButThem
 
AKL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pominville
Country: Nauru
Posts: 6,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
They both sucked in comparison to Saad.
lol.

AKL is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 03:14 PM
  #628
Hammer Time
Registered User
 
Hammer Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,489
vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Resorting to making up stuff is embarrassing. Yakupov was never allowed to run around trying to score. That's why his point totals didn't blow every other rookie's out of the water.

Nobody should care about team success when judging the Calder. It's not a team award and rookies are generally not the best players on their team. Even a rookie Crosby (who oddly enough didn't win the Calder) with 100+ points couldn't bring the Penguins past 29th in the league.

If Saad formed a potent unit with a superstar, Yakupov formed a potent unit with non-superstars. Saad is a joke of a pick. It should be Brodin, Yakupov, and Gallagher
Couldn't you just as well say that Saad played well enough that he earned his 1st line minutes? I mean, coaches usually don't randomly put rookies on a line with their superstar centre. If Yakupov wasn't playing in the top 6 until April, to me that's more of a negative as in "he wasn't good enough to play with the skill players quite yet".

For the record, I think Brodin should have won the trophy. Top pairing, stabilizing influence on Suter, and leading all rookies in ice time.

Hammer Time is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 03:18 PM
  #629
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Huberdeau was the one that should have been left out. Oh well.
really?

I think he's the one that wins.

zytz is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 03:53 PM
  #630
ps241
Drunken rant!
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,360
vCash: 50
Neutral fan with no skin in the game......This was such a tough catagory and there were 3 guys left out who could have all won this award.

Congrads to those that made it!

ps241 is online now  
Old
05-07-2013, 05:09 PM
  #631
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,648
vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
If Galchenyuk played 1 PP shift a game I think he'd lead in rookie scoring.
If Galchenyuk didn't produce at an absolutely atrocious rate on the PP, then maybe he would have earned more PP minutes.

5RingsAndABeer is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 05:11 PM
  #632
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,648
vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
Couldn't you just as well say that Saad played well enough that he earned his 1st line minutes? I mean, coaches usually don't randomly put rookies on a line with their superstar centre. If Yakupov wasn't playing in the top 6 until April, to me that's more of a negative as in "he wasn't good enough to play with the skill players quite yet".

For the record, I think Brodin should have won the trophy. Top pairing, stabilizing influence on Suter, and leading all rookies in ice time.
Yea Saad does have that going for him. However, playing well with two top20 players in the NHL isn't that much of an accomplishment. We've seen superstars carry weaker players. Chicago didn't put Saad up there simply because he was the best option - they wanted to ensure that they had deep team.

5RingsAndABeer is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 05:57 PM
  #633
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,828
vCash: 500
Going to be a close race between Huberdeau and Saad.

couture23 is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 06:32 PM
  #634
dre2112
Registered User
 
dre2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: US and A
Country: United States
Posts: 2,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
If Galchenyuk didn't produce at an absolutely atrocious rate on the PP, then maybe he would have earned more PP minutes.
What? Galchenyuk doesn't get any PP time unless there's 5 seconds left and both 1 and 2 PP units have played and the puck is in the defensive zone.

dre2112 is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 08:33 PM
  #635
Jbcraig1883
Registered User
 
Jbcraig1883's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Louisville, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,118
vCash: 500
I'm a Wild fan. Yes, I think very highly of Brodin. It would have been nice for him to be nominated but him not being nominated does not make me want to put down the other rookies listed in this thread. I'd rather have Brodin be a big part of the Wild for the next 15 years and be a staple with Suter than him win an award.

Jbcraig1883 is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 08:40 PM
  #636
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!
 
KevyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,822
vCash: 500
Saad played on a team loaded with talent. I don't think he should even be nominated. In a few years, he will be considered average.

KevyD is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 09:14 PM
  #637
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that
 
VoicexOfxReason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Away from Cor
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Saad played on a team loaded with talent. I don't think he should even be nominated. In a few years, he will be considered average.
Really? What lottery numbers should i pick? How much am i going to win? Since you can see the future and everything.

Lol get outta here. Comments like this are so dumb.

VoicexOfxReason is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:04 AM
  #638
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Right behind you....
Country: United States
Posts: 6,131
vCash: 50
Now it makes sense:

Quote:
PHWA President Kevin Allen of USA Today said a record 178 PHWA members cast ballots, with 46.4 percent coming from East cities, 32.8 percent from West and 20.8 percent being international chapter members.
I would ask the question: "How is this even fair?", but it would be pointless.

And people actually claim there is no such thing as "east coast bias".

MuckOG is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:43 AM
  #639
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
 
Jeffrey Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Side
Country: United States
Posts: 5,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Yea Saad does have that going for him. However, playing well with two top20 players in the NHL isn't that much of an accomplishment. We've seen superstars carry weaker players. Chicago didn't put Saad up there simply because he was the best option - they wanted to ensure that they had deep team.
That's not the case at all. Saad would be shifted from the 1st line to the 2nd line, in favor of Sharp... but that's hardly a knock on Saad.

Not necessarily directed at you, but if people who are knocking Saad had watched this kid play all year, they wouldn't be saying some of the things that are being thrown around here. There's no doubt that he belongs in the top 6 and for how good he played in the beginning of the season, I'm surprised he didn't put up more points. He plays a great 2-way game and competes hard every shift. He's Andrew Ladd reincarnate, IMO.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:46 AM
  #640
Oak
Hockey fan
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,722
vCash: 50
I wish somebody could explain why Yakupov wasnt nominated? Let me guess his first goal celebration ruffled some feathers!?

Oak is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:51 AM
  #641
Halifaxhab
Registered User
 
Halifaxhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
That's not the case at all. Saad would be shifted from the 1st line to the 2nd line, in favor of Sharp... but that's hardly a knock on Saad.

Not necessarily directed at you, but if people who are knocking Saad had watched this kid play all year, they wouldn't be saying some of the things that are being thrown around here. There's no doubt that he belongs in the top 6 and for how good he played in the beginning of the season, I'm surprised he didn't put up more points. He plays a great 2-way game and competes hard every shift. He's Andrew Ladd reincarnate, IMO.
what? he sux, what the hell. He's made his living on the coat-tails of stars. boooo......

now, how do I trade to get him on my team now that I've deflated his worth with utter nonsensical arguments?


I think Saad is a great kid, and will only get better. But I see Gallagher getting the edge because he should'nt even be on this list. The surprise factor alone should give him the edge. A 5ft 8in 5th round pick playing such a great year on a team that won it's division....a year after trying to dig so deep it would end up in the AHL. He played so well, even Don "I hate Montreal because I never beat them in my day" Cherry loves the kid....now that is saying something.

Halifaxhab is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:53 AM
  #642
Halifaxhab
Registered User
 
Halifaxhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardacus View Post
I wish somebody could explain why Yakupov wasnt nominated? Let me guess his first goal celebration ruffled some feathers!?
simple. he recieved less votes than the three named here.

And maybe they didn't like his all-around game as much as they liked theirs?

Halifaxhab is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:55 AM
  #643
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
 
Jeffrey Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Side
Country: United States
Posts: 5,183
vCash: 500
Andrew Shaw: 5'10" player, went undrafted for 2 years and went in the 5th round in 2011. Put up 23 points in 37 games in his rookie year.

Sounds awfully similar...

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:57 AM
  #644
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?
 
Mr.Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,941
vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardacus View Post
I wish somebody could explain why Yakupov wasnt nominated? Let me guess his first goal celebration ruffled some feathers!?
I wish I could answer this question. I have no idea why the leading scorer isn't nominated. I think the working theory is that a lot of his points came in the last month of the season, but if we can't count the last month of the year then last year RNH should have won it instead of Lando.

Another theory (which I believe is true) is that most of the writers who submit ballots are eastern based and are asleep by the time the Oilers' play.

I guess also there's a difference between "nominated" and "finalist"? But this decision shows how much of a farce this trophy (including the nomination process) really is.

Mr.Prez is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 10:00 AM
  #645
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,889
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Now it makes sense:



I would ask the question: "How is this even fair?", but it would be pointless.

And people actually claim there is no such thing as "east coast bias".
Does it actually shock you that the majority of hockey writers in North America are based on the East coast? Come on.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 10:01 AM
  #646
Halifaxhab
Registered User
 
Halifaxhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
Andrew Shaw: 5'10" player, went undrafted for 2 years and went in the 5th round in 2011. Put up 23 points in 37 games in his rookie year.

Sounds awfully similar...
no. Yakupov, the undisputed Calder champion was drafted 1st overall....so he MUST be the greatest. sheesh


Halifaxhab is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 10:09 AM
  #647
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 8,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardacus View Post
I wish somebody could explain why Yakupov wasnt nominated? Let me guess his first goal celebration ruffled some feathers!?
I would guess that by the time he caught fire in April, the voters had pretty much penciled in Huberdeau and Saad (the two most consistent rookies) as two of the finalists. Yakupov was left to battle it out with Gallagher and Brodin.

Yakupov tied with Huberdeau and was only 3 points ahead of Gallagher and 4 ahead of Saad.

Finlandia WOAT is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 10:15 AM
  #648
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 35,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
I guess also there's a difference between "nominated" and "finalist"? But this decision shows how much of a farce this trophy (including the nomination process) really is.
For the millionth time: there is no such thing as a nomination. Every player that meets the eligibility criteria for an award is eligible to receive votes on the 10-7-5-3-1 ballot the PHWA currently uses. Once the points are tallied, the NHL reveals the "finalists", who are really just the top 3 voting-points earners, as a way of creating fake suspense for their Oscar-ripoff awards show. And considering they aren't even doing that this year, it makes little sense as to why they they didn't just name the winners and release the results.

Epsilon is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 10:18 AM
  #649
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls
 
Tubby Tuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
For the millionth time: there is no such thing as a nomination. Every player that meets the eligibility criteria for an award is eligible to receive votes on the 10-7-5-3-1 ballot the PHWA currently uses. Once the points are tallied, the NHL reveals the "finalists", who are really just the top 3 voting-points earners, as a way of creating fake suspense for their Oscar-ripoff awards show. And considering they aren't even doing that this year, it makes little sense as to why they they didn't just name the winners and release the results.
It's annoying. I have no idea when they are releasing the other awards or when they are releasing the name of the winner.

I looked on their website, I googled it and I'm still having trouble finding this information.

Tubby Tuke is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 10:21 AM
  #650
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Right behind you....
Country: United States
Posts: 6,131
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Does it actually shock you that the majority of hockey writers in North America are based on the East coast? Come on.
No, the fact that the majority of hockey writers on on the East Cost doesn't shock me at all.

What I'm saying is that they should more evenly distribute the ballots. Not every single hockey writer needs to have a vote. It should be something like 40% West, 40% East and 20% International.

MuckOG is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.