HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part 4: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
In case anyone is interested, there are some new consolidated profiles for some of the possible Flyer 1st rd prospects over on hbuzz. Aggregates many of the pro/amateur scouting commentary pro/con and vids and more...note, these are done by exlund not eklund

Darnell Nurse
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...read_id=106806

Ryan Pulock
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...read_id=106801

Nikita Zadorov
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...read_id=106797

Rasmus Ristolainen
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...read_id=106838

Valeri Nichushkin
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...read_id=106836
I'd really liked to get Nichuskin, but that won't happen at 11. Honestly he sounds like Malkin. Realistically, I think Pulock or Ristolainen sound like good picks at that spot. The fact that people point to Pulock's hockey IQ is something I find really encouraging. That reduces the bust potential of a pick in my opinion.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:13 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
if he doesn't show up, it lessens his trade value, and what he can fetch us
I was just about to post this.

On a similar note, I think most of the time, you go BPA regardless of the circumstances. I've said this so many times this offseason but I'm going to say it again. This team, with this pick, in this draft, should NOT draft a center in the first round even if a center is the BPA. It simply doesn't make sense unless there is a trade in the works to move one of the other centers (or the team doesn't think any of the defenders available in the first round have as high a ceiling as the rest of the world does). This is a draft with a deep crop of defensemen to be had in the first round. This is an organization that is without any serious defensive prospects and is overflowing with prospects at the center position. Homer is constantly killed for his "poor asset management" around here. To me, poor asset management at its finest would be going into this draft, have pick #11, seeing a number of prospects that have top 4 (or higher) potential on the blueline, and taking a center to add to the glut of centers this team already has. Diversify your investments, people!

Old
05-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Rolex

A hunch here. The Flyers do well drafting from the Q. Frederik Gauthier could be the player that they take at 11 if they pass on a defenseman. He's a big winger that skates well and has good hands around the net. Holmgren likes size.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:59 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I was just about to post this.

On a similar note, I think most of the time, you go BPA regardless of the circumstances. I've said this so many times this offseason but I'm going to say it again. This team, with this pick, in this draft, should NOT draft a center in the first round even if a center is the BPA. It simply doesn't make sense unless there is a trade in the works to move one of the other centers (or the team doesn't think any of the defenders available in the first round have as high a ceiling as the rest of the world does). This is a draft with a deep crop of defensemen to be had in the first round. This is an organization that is without any serious defensive prospects and is overflowing with prospects at the center position. Homer is constantly killed for his "poor asset management" around here. To me, poor asset management at its finest would be going into this draft, have pick #11, seeing a number of prospects that have top 4 (or higher) potential on the blueline, and taking a center to add to the glut of centers this team already has. Diversify your investments, people!
I agree. BPA should be a head-and-shoulders designation, not "most experts have Player A 1-2 spots above everyone else". There should still be a lot of skill and potential among both defensemen and forwards at 11, so I don't see the Flyers breaking the BPA rule if they went Dman first.

Old
05-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I understand why you put him at the bottom, but you always go BPA. If Monahan is available at 11, you take him. Monahan and Laughton will be putting pressure on Couturier to finally show up offensively. If he doesn't show up, you move him for a D man.
I don't think Laughton will be pressuring him to do anything. Laughton is good, but he is inferior on both ends of the ice. He is not going to replace Couturier's tough defensive minutes.

Old
05-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Dasachtach
Bluenoser

What are the chances the Flyers take Fucale?

Old
05-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domhnall Dubh View Post
Unlikely they take a goalie in the first.

Old
05-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
I don't think Laughton will be pressuring him to do anything. Laughton is good, but he is inferior on both ends of the ice. He is not going to replace Couturier's tough defensive minutes.
I don't see Laughton being inferior offensively to Couturier in the medium or long term. Perhaps it will be because of the tough minutes Couturier shoulders, but also because skating matters for scoring and Laughton is easily the superior skate both in terms of speed, balance and getting to spots.

Old
05-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I don't see Laughton being inferior to Couturier in the medium or long term. Perhaps it will be because of the tough minutes Couturier shoulders, but also because skating matters for scoring and Laughton is easily the superior skate both in terms of speed, balance and getting to spots.
Laughton has never showed Couturier's scoring ability in juniors.

Old
05-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Laughton has never showed Couturier's scoring ability in juniors.
Based on what I saw last season in limited action at the NHL/AHL level, then back in the OHL upon his return, I suspect that Laughton's offensive game translates better than Couturier's. It won't be by a huge amount, but maybe 10-15 points more per season imo.

Old
05-08-2013, 09:55 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Couturier is very good defensively, and you can expect the same from Laughton. He is by no means inferior. He may not be as good defensively now, at the same age as Couturier, but his IQ is just as good, and his skating is much much better.

Couturier has the better offensive insticts, but IMO, his skating is really going to limit his ability to pounce on opportunties to score.

I still believe Couturier will be a better player then Laughton, but don't just brush Laughton to the side, he is a very capable offensive and defensive player.

Old
05-08-2013, 11:44 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I would seriously cry.

Old
05-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Very low.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Flyers2point0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I would seriously cry.
Same. I don't think there's any chance we take a goalie in the first, and I can't see them taking one in the second for that matter either. Fucale will likely go somewhere after 20. I can see Calgary taking him with either STL or PITT's pick.

I haven't read/seen this interview myself but someone else on here quoted Holmgren basically saying that in order to get a #1 d-man you have to draft and develop one. (anyone have a link to that interview?)
But yeah I have a hard time seeing us not go with a defenseman.

Personally I hope it's Zadorov. While he's a very raw talent, I think given how well Gustafsson has been coming long as of late it would make them a lot less likely to rush the kid and develop him properly.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:05 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I think Laughtons offensive game, while not as prolific at Couturiers was in juniors, has the potential to translate better to the nhl level. I could honestly see Laughton as being one of those guys who produces essentially the same numbers at ever level, and I could really see him being a 65-70 point, 2-way 2nd line C at the nhl level. He's a very hard worker, never quits on a play, is very physical and tenacious on the forecheck and backcheck. Couturier has the ability to force turnovers with his stick and positioning without the puck, Laughton has the ability to force turnovers with his speed and tenacity.

I think both will be great players in this league actually. While I don't think Laughton has the potential to be a selke candidate like couturier may, I think he will be a bit lesser defensively and a bit greater offensively.

Couturier has the higher hockey IQ by far, but he's essentially typecast already at an early age. With the minutes he's tasked with playing against the players he does, on top of his lack of mobility, I don't see him fully reaching his offensive potential.

I could see Laughton turning into a player of the mold of a guy like Andrew Ladd.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:26 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
A hunch here. The Flyers do well drafting from the Q. Frederik Gauthier could be the player that they take at 11 if they pass on a defenseman. He's a big winger that skates well and has good hands around the net. Holmgren likes size.
Gauthier plays center.

Old
05-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Gauthier plays center.
Forward position in juniors is fairly irrelevant. The most gifted forwards usually play center in juniors even though they will play something else as a pro. Gagne was a center while Giroux is a good example of the opposite as he was drafted as a right wing. I think Meltzer said Gauthier has played wing before.

Old
05-08-2013, 02:19 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Forward position in juniors is fairly irrelevant. The most gifted forwards usually play center in juniors even though they will play something else as a pro. Gagne was a center while Giroux is a good example of the opposite as he was drafted as a right wing. I think Meltzer said Gauthier has played wing before.
Gautheir is known as a defensive center with some faceoff ability. Would be weird to play him on the wing.

Old
05-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Flyers2point0

If forward position matters so little in junior why don't we just convert Laughton to wing? Why draft another center when we already have too many top-6 centermen to begin with? And in my opinion Gauthier is a bit of a reach at 11. Someone that deserves to be in the top 10 will likely be available there, and even if not and Z and Risto are gone, Pulock should still be there. I really don't see Gauthier going that early in the first at all. Not before Pulock or Mantha.

Old
05-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Laughton isn't too far behind Couturier as a defensive forward imo. Couturier is never going to get a chance at developing his offensive skills with Laviolette using Couturier as a 3rd/4th line grinder. Meltzer touched on this on twitter around the time the season ended.

Laughton's offensive skill would make him much more suited towards the 3rd line C spot imo. I'm not saying I wouldn't mind a Malkin-Crosby-Staal situation with Giroux-Schenn-Couturier, but if moving him helps gets a D man that helps this team in the long run, I'm okay with it and actually kind of expect it to happen this summer

Old
05-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Laughton isn't too far behind Couturier as a defensive forward imo. Couturier is never going to get a chance at developing his offensive skills with Laviolette using Couturier as a 3rd/4th line grinder. Meltzer touched on this on twitter around the time the season ended.

Laughton's offensive skill would make him much more suited towards the 3rd line C spot imo. I'm not saying I wouldn't mind a Malkin-Crosby-Staal situation with Giroux-Schenn-Couturier, but if moving him helps gets a D man that helps this team in the long run, I'm okay with it and actually kind of expect it to happen this summer
I really don't think they are going to trade Couturier. Have some patience. In retrospect, Couts would've been better off spending last year in Jr and coming to the NHL this year, like Huberdeau did.

That's why I hope they just sign Adam Hall as a big 4C and let Laughton stay in Oshawa for one more year: dominate offensively, play for Canada at WJC, etc. The things Giroux did and what helped make him great.

Laughton will never have one thing Couts has: size. Trading Couts for a D would leave us in need of a big C, for the top three lines, something that is not a problem now. Giroux-Schenn-Laughton is too small a group for top three lines.

At 11, there are going to be 5 or 6 really good Dmen to choose from, depending on who goes and who drops.

Realistically, it's possible that we'll have a choice of Zadorov, Hennessey, Pulock, Ristolainen or Morin. It's up to the scouts to determine who we like, or to gamble on trading 11 to Columbus for two later picks (eg. our 11 and 41 for their pick at 14 and either the NYR or LA picks TBD in the 19 through30 range).

This could work if Kekalainen really likes Ristolainen, for example and he's still on the board at 11 but might not be at 14. If we are torn between Risto, Hennessey, Pulock and Morin, then trade down and get two of them?

Old
05-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I really don't think they are going to trade Couturier. Have some patience. In retrospect, Couts would've been better off spending last year in Jr and coming to the NHL this year, like Huberdeau did.

That's why I hope they just sign Adam Hall as a big 4C and let Laughton stay in Oshawa for one more year: dominate offensively, play for Canada at WJC, etc. The things Giroux did and what helped make him great.

Laughton will never have one thing Couts has: size. Trading Couts for a D would leave us in need of a big C, for the top three lines, something that is not a problem now. Giroux-Schenn-Laughton is too small a group for top three lines.

At 11, there are going to be 5 or 6 really good Dmen to choose from, depending on who goes and who drops.

Realistically, it's possible that we'll have a choice of Zadorov, Hennessey, Pulock, Ristolainen or Morin. It's up to the scouts to determine who we like, or to gamble on trading 11 to Columbus for two later picks (eg. our 11 and 41 for their pick at 14 and either the NYR or LA picks TBD in the 19 through30 range).

This could work if Kekalainen really likes Ristolainen, for example and he's still on the board at 11 but might not be at 14. If we are torn between Risto, Hennessey, Pulock and Morin, then trade down and get two of them?
I don't know that you'd get more than a 3rd to drop 3 spots. Maybe a 2nd (if we sent our 4th back or something).

Old
05-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I don't know that you'd get more than a 3rd to drop 3 spots. Maybe a 2nd (if we sent our 4th back or something).
How about our 11 and 41 plus a prospect or a 5th (or other future pick), for their 14 plus the higher pick of NYR or LA (likely in the 24 range at least)? They'd keep 11 and another first, and get our 2nd and another pick/player.

I'm trying to get us a 2nd late-first rounder somehow....

Old
05-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
How about our 11 and 41 plus a prospect or a 5th (or other future pick), for their 14 plus the higher pick of NYR or LA (likely in the 24 range at least)? They'd keep 11 and another first, and get our 2nd and another pick/player.

Well setting aside the 5th or its prospect equivalent (which holds little value), you're basically asking whether Columbus would be willing to trade back ~20 spots in one swap in order to move up 3 spots in the other.

Old
05-08-2013, 04:26 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

I think a better way to get a late first would be trade with a team who is either so far off that they would want more picks to re-stock, or a team that is so close that picks in this draft aren't going to be that important to them. Otherwise you are probably going to have to trade an actual roster player to get one (Read, Couturier, etc).

Closed Thread