HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michel Therrien II

Old
05-08-2013, 02:31 AM
RealityandHabs

vCash: 500
Had no expectations for this team when the season began, qualifying for playoffs was over any estimation this team could have dreamed of in my opinion. First round KO irrelevant of our standings in the final season is FAR more than what I imagined for this team. Far from a finished product I still believe and Bergevin still needs to find a game changing FWD, D depth needs to be coached right but is over the top & G is fine.

RealityandHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 03:07 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
I didnt comment on why the Sens lost those series, just on the feel of the coaching battle.
I think both coaches just used the pieces they had. In this series it is obvious we are being outcoached, but your example was just of one team being better. When I think outcoaching I think Jacques Martin over Bylsma in 2010, Dave Tippett over Joel Quenneville last season and what I consider one of the most one sided coaching debacles in history, Larry Robinson over Pat Quinn in 2000.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Habblues

Come on, we can`t bad mouth MT......Prust must have told him he was good to go and he wasn`t......NOW, why he benched one of the best players on the ice for the last 10 min ? I really do not know. I would have benched PK. He sucked the last period ! Played way too nervous.......MT got screwed by the refs plain and simple......DID PETE ROSE MOVE TO OTTAWA ? LOL....Rigged !!!!!! Rigged !!!!!! Last two plays were NOT icing.....

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:47 AM
Spez

Goaltending was part of it but the senators as a whole had too many soft perimeter players against the leafs. Therrien does remind me of Martin in the sense that's he too stubborn to change it up in the playoffs when things aren't working. You guys should be crashing and banging the Ottawa players like you did in game 2 and not this soft junk that's going on. I feel like this series should be 2-2 but your coach is a big reason it's 3-1 the other way.

It just feels like Price is playing like Lalime did vs the leafs in those playoff series and your team is playing like those sens teams that couldn't get over the hump vs them. Of course the series isn't over and your team could still come back to win it. I'm sure a lot of you guys were ready to throw in the towel when the caps went up 3-1 3 years ago and we all know what happened. Ottawa's offense is capable of vanishing for 3 straight games like Washington's did granted Halak was a big reason why.

Spez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

Guys guys this is all MT fault. We went from 15th to 2nd place in the EC but that's not worth ****. I hate this coach

People on this board never seem to stop to amazed me..

Habster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:22 AM
hopkinsj31

I thought he did a great job with the team in the regular season. But what happened to his "No Excuses" motto once the playoffs started?

hopkinsj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Montreal should hire Lindy Ruff.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habster33 View Post
Guys guys this is all MT fault. We went from 15th to 2nd place in the EC but that's not worth ****. I hate this coach

Exactly. He implanted a new system and it worked miracles, I think.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Therrien is responsible for running a few players into the ground in the regular season when he could have given them a break. Guys like Ryder, Pacioretty, and Markov could all have used a few games off.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

MT has done a great job turning the team around, but when the going gets tough he just starts whining. I don't get it. You don't like something stand up and say it, do something about it. Stop whining about it. It is an attitude that will trickle down to the players, and that is a bad thing for Habs fans.

I don't have the answers, but I know what he is doing is not best for the team, that much is clear.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:13 AM
coolasprICE

Not really a huge fan of him. If his press conferences are any indication of his approach, his shtick will only work for so long. Eventually, the team will clue him out, like they did in Pittsburgh.

If the team sucks next year, he's gone by January.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:15 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
Therrien is responsible for running a few players into the ground in the regular season when he could have given them a break. Guys like Ryder, Pacioretty, and Markov could all have used a few games off.
And it was a big mistake not playing Price for the last game of the season. To me that was such a no-brainer.

Old
05-08-2013, 09:48 AM
ROSSter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
A few games off in a 48 game season? I know it was an accelerated schedule but cmon. These are pros who are used to playing 82 games a year + playoffs.

ROSSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSter View Post
A few games off in a 48 game season? I know it was an accelerated schedule but cmon. These are pros who are used to playing 82 games a year + playoffs.
Does being a pro somehow give a member of the species of Homo sapiens accelerated healing powers? Rest in this scenario is not to give a "healthy" person a free day off. IT IS TO REST injuries that might ail performance.

Ryder has a lower back injury, Pacioretty got surgery and took a skate blade from Timonen, and Markov might still be fighting through that rib injury. Don't tell me that rest would not have let the "interference" from these injuries be less powerful; that would go against medicinal knowledge itself.

And you'd be surprised to learn that in the 82 game season, players half-ass it during games to pace themselves throughout the season. Going full-go from day 1 to day whatever at 100% would burn out any player.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:04 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHabsOWNTheLeafs View Post
You don't like something stand up and say it, do something about it. Stop whining about it. It is an attitude that will trickle down to the players, and that is a bad thing for Habs fans.
Exactly. Paul Maclean may have made a total ********* move the other night, but to whine about it is worse. Therrien is not protecting the players here. He has done this more than once. This isn't strategic. This is real whining.

This guy represents the team. He is the leader, and as such he should set an example for his players. And what he is teaching them is that our problems are other people's faults. You lose, you own it.

Last edited by andy28: 05-08-2013 at 11:16 AM.
andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habster33 View Post

I wonder how this team would have finished in a 82 game schedule, considered how we stumbled into the playoffs? Easy to say how great of a season we had in a collapsed format, but there's a good chance we could have slid to 8th or 9th by the looks of things.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Stef*

Habs need a someone who won the cup as a coach
Carbonneau, damphousse, hartley
Someone who can bring the best out of players in the playoffs
And maybe copy NY rangers from last year = block every ****ing shots in front of the goaler

Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:31 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Exactly. He implanted a new system and it worked miracles, I think.
What system? Seriously, someone give me some details into that.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
What system? Seriously, someone give me some details into that.
ARe you serious?

The three-men forecheck we've had all season that prevented teams to get our for their zone? Did you watch last game? That's what we did for 2 periods.

How about the support of the D to create pressure?

Old
05-08-2013, 11:45 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
Habs need a someone who won the cup as a coach
Carbonneau, damphousse, hartley
Someone who can bring the best out of players in the playoffs
And maybe copy NY rangers from last year = block every ****ing shots in front of the goaler
Yeah let's bring the communication master back...

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:54 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
ARe you serious?

The three-men forecheck we've had all season that prevented teams to get our for their zone? Did you watch last game? That's what we did for 2 periods.

How about the support of the D to create pressure?
so extra forchecking and having Markov, Subban and Diaz is the system ?
Am not sold on this "all season" talk given that TOR was 1st last year and dropped out of PO's. i'm sure they had a "great working system" when they were doing good.

We did good mostly because we didn't have to rely on 1 scoring line like last season because of the surprising performance of the G rookies. The only "good" i see in therrien might be that he MIGHT of had some influence on the G's, with his oh so famous "motivational skills"

Old
05-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Not really a huge fan of him. If his press conferences are any indication of his approach, his shtick will only work for so long. Eventually, the team will clue him out, like they did in Pittsburgh.

If the team sucks next year, he's gone by January.
I highly doubt it. I think Bergevin has a long-term build in mind and him and Therrien wanted to take it slow this year, playing more kids and so forth. I even think they doubted they would even make the playoffs(even if MB was wishing it). When Therrien was hired I felt it would be a good three-year just to put things together for the whole management and they did not even have the pressure to be a good team right away. It would be a year of learning. But lo and behold unexpected success came in taking everyone by surprise. And fans started to think we were contenders. Expectations did not result in what they wished it would be and they go nuts. Let's pull back and think: the Habs did a lot more with this line-up that they should have. If the success would not have been there(say the Habs finished 12th in the East), I think the feeling would have been: "It's OK, we have a lot of work to do". And fans would have understood that. But now that they reached unbelievable heights but end up being revealed as average, Therrien is a bum. Therrien is victim of his own success.

Remember, all MB gave Therrien was Prust. And they played the kids. That's it. That's mainly the difference this team had with the 15th Martin/Cunneyworth team.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:04 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
I highly doubt it. I think Bergevin has a long-term build in mind and him and Therrien wanted to take it slow this year, playing more kids and so forth. I even think they doubted they would even make the playoffs(even if MB was wishing it). When Therrien was hired I felt it would be a good three-year just to put things together for the whole management and they did not even have the pressure to be a good team right away. It would be a year of learning. But lo and behold unexpected success came in taking everyone by surprise. And fans started to think we were contenders. Expectations did not result in what they wished it would be and they go nuts. Let's pull back and think: the Habs did a lot more with this line-up that they should have. If the success would not have been there(say the Habs finished 12th in the East), I think the feeling would have been: "It's OK, we have a lot of work to do". And fans would have understood that. But now that they reached unbelievable heights but end up being revealed as average, Therrien is a bum. Therrien is victim of his own success.

Remember, all MB gave Therrien was Prust. And they played the kids. That's it. That's mainly the difference this team had with the 15th Martin/Cunneyworth team.
A lot can change, very quickly. It all depends on the record. If we have injuries and have not addressed some of the needs, Therriens emotional motivation will only take the team so far.

If anything, making the playoffs this year created a precedent that they cant regress on.

Suppose we are out of the playoff picture mid-season... You dont see it as a possibility that he gets the boot? I do.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
so extra forchecking and having Markov, Subban and Diaz is the system ?
Nothing to do with individual players, all the Ds played that way. It was a team concept, forecheck like mad and the D squad helping in too.

Quote:
Am not sold on this "all season" talk given that TOR was 1st last year and dropped out of PO's. i'm sure they had a "great working system" when they were doing good.
I would say the system was implemented like a well-oiled machine after the beating in Toronto. Before that we were winning cause of a few players. And Diaz was out for most of that run, also.

Quote:
We did good mostly because we didn't have to rely on 1 scoring line like last season because of the surprising performance of the G rookies. The only "good" i see in therrien might be that he MIGHT of had some influence on the G's, with his oh so famous "motivational skills"

The rookies helped, that line with Prust, Chucky and Gally rocked but we played a complete different system. I really doubt you watched the games if you did not see that. I had never seen the Habs play that way and having such an agressive offensive philosophy before. It was amazing. I mean a great wave of sustaining pressure none-stop.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:08 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:

fully agree with you on all counts. I don't want to blame MT on the failures we are seeing at the end of the season/PO's, just like i don't want to give credit to MT for being responsible for the success of a 40 game stint.