HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else feel DW redeemed himself this year?

Old
05-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Sleepy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Granted Stuart wanted to come here, but adding him automatically made the offseason a success. You don't typically add a top 4 dman that easily especially in SJ.
Forgot about that. That was a win you're right.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:30 AM
SharksAddict

His moves at the trade deadline were pure genius and will pay dividends for years to come hopefully. Still made a horrible signing in the offseason though with Burish.

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:30 AM
ChubbChubby
My life is a gym

I wouldn't give DW credit for that. Stuart practically fell into his lap.

ChubbChubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:40 AM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
Exactly.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:44 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
Frankly DW didn't have to sign him. They could have easily gone with Irwin and Tennyson from the start...

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:48 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Forgot about that. That was a win you're right.
The Gomez signing put him over the top IMO. Dude can play top 6, and PP but gives the sharks incredible depth and a real threat offensively all the way down on the 4th line. One of the first sharks teams I've ever seen that always rolls 4 lines with out fear.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

No. Two words: Adam. Burish.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:53 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
The Gomez signing put him over the top IMO. Dude can play top 6, and PP but gives the sharks incredible depth and a real threat offensively all the way down on the 4th line. One of the first sharks teams I've ever seen that always rolls 4 lines with out fear.
That was Larry Robinson apparently. He told Gomez to sign here, and convinced DW to sign him. Was in the Sharks book thing this year when they interviewed Gomez.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:55 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
This is classic homer over rating. We're lucky we got what we did considering clowes ****** season last year and this year. Even NY fans don't want him back after the season. Mark of a successful TD acquisition is if the fan base almost unanimously wants the UFA to be resigned... See Torres, Raffi.
DW got for Clowe something that is comparable with what he got for Douglas Murray. He should have been able to get more; me thinks the NTC doomed him.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I'm starting to think there are posters that will never like DW no matter what he does. He has had practically a flawless year and people still want to nitpick moves.

Right now I would say easily B+/A- considering everything he has to work with and San Jose not exactly being a top FA destination. He literally got everything done that we have been asking for.

Depending on how he handles Boyle and the draft this off-season, he can easily move to to an A-/A.

He has this team in position to be a Cup contender this year and still able to retool need be or give the team an entirely new identity next year.

Not much more I can ask for as a fan.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:07 PM
ChubbChubby
My life is a gym

Adam Burish for 3 more years.

ChubbChubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
That was Larry Robinson apparently. He told Gomez to sign here, and convinced DW to sign him. Was in the Sharks book thing this year when they interviewed Gomez.
Many Devils fans saw this coming to be honest. Larry had him on our `03 Cup team and it made a lot of sense for him too. He needed to go out West, to bury the ghosts of his past and get a fresh start. He fits in with his skillset, he fits in the California environment, he had a spot on this team and he got a legitimate chance to compete for the SC again. It was a perfect match. So yeah, I wouldn`t credit the Gomez signing to Wilson. He definitely got a bit lucky with him and Stuart.

Torres is a different story (so is moving Burns to wing; that was obviously a coaching decision and I`m glad it panned out) though, that was a great move on his part.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:10 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Frankly DW didn't have to sign him. They could have easily gone with Irwin and Tennyson from the start...
Irwin? Maybe, but there's no way anyone could've seen Tennyson starting on opening day. Plus, Stuart was fantastic at the beginning of the season.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:14 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I'm starting to think there are posters that will never like DW no matter what he does. He has had practically a flawless year and people still want to nitpick moves.

Right now I would say easily B+/A- considering everything he has to work with and San Jose not exactly being a top FA destination. He literally got everything done that we have been asking for.

Depending on how he handles Boyle and the draft this off-season, he can easily move to to an A-/A.

He has this team in position to be a Cup contender this year and still able to retool need be or give the team an entirely new identity next year.

Not much more I can ask for as a fan.
You can't judge a GM off of one year, unless they win the cup that year. Even then, you have to make sure that cup win was a result of that GM's choices (like when a new GM wins a cup and most of the team was built by the previous GM).

If DW wins a cup this year, all is forgiven. If he doesn't, he's made some mistakes and they have cost this team, possibly dearly. I think he's a good GM in general, I'm just not sure he's a good ENOUGH GM. The stars have a aligned a bit for him this season, and that's great, but in the end the Sharks have the second longest playoff streak in the league and still don't have a cup.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
You can't judge a GM off of one year, unless they win the cup that year. Even then, you have to make sure that cup win was a result of that GM's choices (like when a new GM wins a cup and most of the team was built by the previous GM).

If DW wins a cup this year, all is forgiven. If he doesn't, he's made some mistakes and they have cost this team, possibly dearly. I think he's a good GM in general, I'm just not sure he's a good ENOUGH GM. The stars have a aligned a bit for him this season, and that's great, but in the end the Sharks have the second longest playoff streak in the league and still don't have a cup.
I can be the best GM in the world and put together solid team after solid team on paper, and at some point, the finger has to point elsewhere. I get that ultimately he is responsible for the product on the ice, but I would say he is anything but complacent and has done anything BUT "cost this team dearly."

The biggest knock before this season would be the depleted prospect pool. Not only are starters still coming from this pool (Irwin, Sheppard whom which he traded for). He also made strides at the TDL to move players not coming back and improve the team at the same time. On top of that, he acquired more picks in a supposedly deep draft. What he does with those picks will still dictate success or failure, but he has hardly cost this team dearly.

Next, people wanted depth; check. People wanted more team speed; check.

I'd also add that he traded up to get Couture which is now paying off dividends and will continue to do so for some time.

Looking at his body of work, and the consistency of putting together a competitive team, I would easily take him over most GMs in the league. It takes a lot to get a Stanley Cup, and the first step is just getting in the playoffs.

How many years in a row have the Sharks done that under his regime and how many more years will they be able to continue to do so with the younger core he has slowly put together to take over when the older guys depart in some way, shape or form?

Old
05-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

People were ready to tank the season because our core was just too old. Gomez came because of Robinson. Guess who hired Robinson. The team changed because Todd wised up, so you can't credit DW with that? Please. And even if that were true, guess who hired Todd?

Win the Cup this year and DW is forgiven? Seriously? Either you think DW has built a Cup worthy team or you don't. There are all sorts of reasons we could still not win the Cup.

Is he the greatest GM of all time? No. But he's done one hell of a job over many years in a small western hockey market and raised the image and prestige of this team to the point some top players do actually want to come here.

If we're going on this year alone I give him a B+. Best deadline he's had yet. For his entire tenure I'd give him a B.

But, let us go down 2-0 in the next round and I suspect it will be "fire and trade everyone" around here once again

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:52 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
People were ready to tank the season because our core was just too old. Gomez came because of Robinson. Guess who hired Robinson. The team changed because Todd wised up, so you can't credit DW with that? Please. And even if that were true, guess who hired Todd?

Win the Cup this year and DW is forgiven? Seriously? Either you think DW has built a Cup worthy team or you don't. There are all sorts of reasons we could still not win the Cup.

Is he the greatest GM of all time? No. But he's done one hell of a job over many years in a small western hockey market and raised the image and prestige of this team to the point some top players do actually want to come here.

If we're going on this year alone I give him a B+. Best deadline he's had yet. For his entire tenure I'd give him a B.

But, let us go down 2-0 in the next round and I suspect it will be "fire and trade everyone" around here once again
You are speaking in absolutes, I am not. I'm saying if he proves this team is cup caliber, and the last decade hasn't been a massive tease, then all is forgiven. If he doesn't, I'm not saying that proves he needs to be fired. There is a pretty huge grey area in there.

I've really only called for his firing for his mismanagement of the McLellan situation, but then, finally, McLellan made the necessary changes that we were all calling for. He's made some pretty stupid trades and signings (Burish, White, Huskins, Semenov, Wallin, Guerin) but all gm's make stupid decisions here and there. He's made some of the best trades in NHL history during that same time period (Thornton, Boyle, Heatley) plus a few really solid ones like Burns, Stuart, Roenick, etc.

In the end though, He's had more than enough time to win a cup and has not done so, at some point you have to say 'enough is enough'. Are we there yet? I don't know, but until this team wins a cup no one is going to be satisfied.

Old
05-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
You are speaking in absolutes, I am not. I'm saying if he proves this team is cup caliber, and the last decade hasn't been a massive tease, then all is forgiven. If he doesn't, I'm not saying that proves he needs to be fired. There is a pretty huge grey area in there.

I've really only called for his firing for his mismanagement of the McLellan situation, but then, finally, McLellan made the necessary changes that we were all calling for. He's made some pretty stupid trades and signings (Burish, White, Huskins, Semenov, Wallin, Guerin) but all gm's make stupid decisions here and there. He's made some of the best trades in NHL history during that same time period (Thornton, Boyle, Heatley) plus a few really solid ones like Burns, Stuart, Roenick, etc.

In the end though, He's had more than enough time to win a cup and has not done so, at some point you have to say 'enough is enough'. Are we there yet? I don't know, but until this team wins a cup no one is going to be satisfied.
Well said. This I can definitely agree with.

Old
05-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:

That's more reasonable, but even when he moves on I won't consider him a failure or need to be forgiven. All GM's tenures come to an end at some point. I never thought Lomabardi was a failure, but sometimes you need to change course. And DL got his in the end didn't he

Old
05-08-2013, 01:32 PM
do0glas

if you judge a GM by one year, then sure he gets a B, B+ if he goes deep into the playoffs and has a successful draft.

but ultimately he gets a C right now. last year was just plain bad. which on that year alone was probably a D or C-. so really he has just been fixing the mistakes up until this point, and if anything it took him a bit too long to get the team together like it is.

but he could pull some draft day magic + off season re-signings that will really make him look good.

he could extend jumbo/marleaus windows by about 3 years honestly, and if he makes THAT many right moves, he is firmly in A territory.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 01:39 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
That's more reasonable, but even when he moves on I won't consider him a failure or need to be forgiven. All GM's tenures come to an end at some point. I never thought Lomabardi was a failure, but sometimes you need to change course. And DL got his in the end didn't he
"all will be forgiven" is just a euphemism. I don't mean it literally.

Old
05-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
"all will be forgiven" is just a euphemism. I don't mean it literally.
Then I'd hate to know the phrase you'd like to use

Definition
of euphemism (n)eu·phe·mism
[ yfə mìzzəm ]

1. less offensive synonym: a word or phrase used in place of a term that might be considered too direct, harsh, unpleasant, or offensive
  2. use of inoffensive words: the use of a word or phrase that is more neutral, vague, or indirect to replace a direct, harsh, unpleasant, or offensive term

But I get what you mean

Old
05-08-2013, 03:39 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
DW got for Clowe something that is comparable with what he got for Douglas Murray. He should have been able to get more; me thinks the NTC doomed him.
The NTC definitely screwed us. Supposedly there were much, much better offers but Clowe chose NYC.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 03:46 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Doesn't take away the fact that Stuart fell into his lap. Signing him isn't that big of a deal, but not signing him would have made him an idiot (unless Stuart was asking for some crazy amount).

His moves during the season have been good though. Clowe for Torres, a 2nd, and a conditional 2nd. Murray and a 6th for Hannan, a 2nd, and a conditional 2nd. Handzus for a 4th.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:51 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
The NTC definitely screwed us. Supposedly there were much, much better offers but Clowe chose NYC.
I thought Vancouver offered us something better (possibly Jens), but Wilson didn't want to give Clowe to a division rival. Guess we can be thankful for that now

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote