HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Misconduct For Smiling

Old
05-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Misconduct For Smiling

Fifty years ago NHL playoff officiating was different than today:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...4444%2C1251464

1963 semi-finals, Bill Gadsby was assessed a ten minute misconduct for smiling.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Yep. Bill Gadsby. One of my all-time favourites.... cauliflower ears, nose broken dozens of times, reputedly took over 600 stitches to his face but get this, had taken out an insurance policy that paid him $5 per stitch.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:30 PM
mbhhofr

No, he was given a misconduct for saying another word after he was told not to and given the reason why. RIC Carl Voss admonished Udvari for not giving Gadsby a misconduct earlier.

If a player is warned not to say another word, he better comply or suffer the consequences.

I was reffing a game in the IHL, and gave a penalty to the Capt. of the home team. He started jawing at me and I told him, "one more word and you get ten more." He then said, "what is this a picnic or a basket?"

Hands to my hips and he got the ten I told him he would get. After the game, I saw him in the lobby of the rink and we laughed about the words that came out of his mouth.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
No, he was given a misconduct for saying another word after he was told not to and given the reason why. RIC Carl Voss admonished Udvari for not giving Gadsby a misconduct earlier.
Frank Udvari was a highly respected Referee if Im not mistaken. He was on the ice during the game that precipitated the Richard Riots; ran schools & camps for AHL & Minor League Ref's etc through the 60's, and after leaving the ice became Director of Officiating for over a decade thereafter.... and apparently while doing so he was at a game in 78 involving the Islanders, the Referee getting cut, unable to continue, so Frank borrowed a pair of skates from Trottier & despite being retired for 12yrs heads on out there & does a bang up job of it.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote