HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Positives and negatives of tonight

Old
09-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Dr_Hook

vCash: 500
Samsonov was terrible... In the beginning, I was asking myself who was that dope who's wearing 15; I thought maybe Andrei Bashkirov was trying a comeback

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Let's just hope this nightmarish exhibition schedule ends with no more injuries. Carbo still has 2 full weeks to get this team ready for their first game.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 09:12 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Streit showed that he deserved the 6th spot, he was good...likely his best game in that historic jersey IMO.

Koivu line looked like it is ready to go, which is really great.

Price was incredibly better than Huet, which shocked me a bit. Good to see Carey playing well.

Rivet and Souray were really bad tonight. Souray had some decent moments in the offensive zon, but this tandem was scary in their own end. Room for improvement for sure.

NWT Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 09:14 PM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Let's just hope this nightmarish exhibition schedule ends with no more injuries. Carbo still has 2 full weeks to get this team ready for their first game.

Marc you hit the nail on the head. "injuries". In my on opinion you are not going to get a full crash and bang effort out of guys that know now they are on the team. They are there to scrimage and get to know their linemates simple. So lets let them kiss each others rear ends in exibition and when the real season starts we will kick some buttocks.

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Mikhail Grabovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Snake View Post
Rivet has to go. I dont care if he is a good leader. Add him to the coaching staff if he leads so well. Koivu's buddy or not the reprecussions of having him on the ice will be massive this year.
Retarded !!! and using someone elses name even more Retarded !!!

Mikhail Grabovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
Samsonov was terrible... In the beginning, I was asking myself who was that dope who's wearing 15; I thought maybe Andrei Bashkirov was trying a comeback
OUCH

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan View Post
Streit showed that he deserved the 6th spot, he was good...likely his best game in that historic jersey IMO.

Koivu line looked like it is ready to go, which is really great.

Price was incredibly better than Huet, which shocked me a bit. Good to see Carey playing well.

Rivet and Souray were really bad tonight. Souray had some decent moments in the offensive zon, but this tandem was scary in their own end. Room for improvement for sure.
I agree, Streit had a strong game, as did Koivu. No worries about him..

Higgins played well and ryder had some jump. Price looked great what a glove, he made a great glove save on a deflected shot among many. Kostitsyn looked way better than Perezhoghin so far. Locke didn't do too bad either. We had our best game so far but had a few bad bounces.

Thank goodness its still pre-season though

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Guig

Positive:
- Mark Streit Great on PP
- Saku Koivu, Michael Ryder, Chris Higgins Nice chemistry
- Guillaume Latendresse He's creating chance and he's playing physical
- Mike Johnson Good overall game
- Carey Price

Negative:
- Craig Rivet Haha he made me laugh when he fell on his butt after a pivot.
- Alexei Kovalev Absolutely no effort
- Sergei Samsonov Who?

Guig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Dr_Hook

I was definitely impressed with Johnson: nice speed, quick to the loose pucks, good vision. Even though it was less publicised, might end up a more valuable pick-up than Bashkir... oops I mean Samsonov !!

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 09:41 PM
e-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
Bonk was flying out there
agree on bonk...he showed som great speed tonight...what the hell is on your avatar? scares me

e-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 09:50 PM
madbox

25 minutes for Streit, almost 10 on the PP and a few on the PK... nice night.
Really liking Johnson and Koivu's line, obviously.

Souray and Komi screwing up using their butts to defend twice, and we got scored on both those times. Kinda bothersome...

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Habs514

Mike Johnson played great today. He was a great pickup. I would like to see a Samsonon - Johnson - Kovalev line.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 10:13 PM
turnbuckle*

I think a large positive was that the worst players were veterans that can and will play better. Sammy, Souray, Huet, Rivet, Kovy

Bonk looks much quicker than last season; that's a positive, but the main positives were from the rookies IMO.

Latendresse continues to impress - showed some good bursts of speed on occasion and was by far the most physical forward. Had two of the best scoring chances, and made a great setup that wasn't converted. No points, but he was a factor in three goals, by drawing a penalty, causing a turnover due to a big hit and screening Raycroft

Chipchura in limited time made a couple of strong plays deep in his own zone when the d-men were in trouble. He also had a solid chance for a goal but Raycroft made a nice save. He's not going to stick, but he's close. Coughed up the puck a couple of times in his own zone late in the third, but I think he was fatigued. Will need to adjust to the NHL pace, but he is a smart, smart player; I like him.

O'Byrne showed some promise; I like his size/skating combination, and positioning. He plays a smart game in his own zone and covers a lot of territory - has to learn to adapt to the speed of the NHL, but he may only be a year to 18 months away from a shot with the Habs.

Price also gave indications that he may be less than two years away from making the Habs as well. Looked a little nervous on a couple of occasions, and was slow reacting to a couple of cross crease passes, but all in all he was strong.

Kosty showed flashes again - inconsistency is still a problem, but he made some strong plays in his own zone and made some smart passes. Will likely start the season in Hamilton.

Benoit played okay as well - has a good shot from the point and isn'ty afraid to use it; skates well, particularly backwards - wish he was three inches taller and thus more physical, but there is talent there. Was one of the more noticeable rearguards; not always a good thing, but usually it was a positive.

as for the vets...
Johnson was very strong, and may be replacing Sammy on the top two lines sooner rather than later.

Ryder looks like a different player - he's playing physically once again. Saku and Higgy were also strong - obviously it's a positive to see Saku recovering from his eye injury - looks like he'll be ok.

Streit was impressive on the power play, just as he was last season IMO. Not great 5-on-five, but he competes. Will do for now as a replacement for the Cube; less physicalness and defensive play, but more offence.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Belso

I thought I was the only one who thought that Kovalev was trying to stick handle through 3 guys all the time.. 0ne, great. Two, is a long shot. Three? Pass the f***ing puck!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 11:27 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Am I the only one who was really impressed with Kosty tonight?

He was skating out there like there was no tomorrow. We have a very skilled player with Kosty, he just has to put all the pieces together.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 11:41 PM
GoHabsGO252006

Are we ready to give up on Samsonov and Kovalev playing together? Since our first line has looked good, there can only be so much that Carbo can do. I propose the following.

Higgins Koivu Ryder
Lats / Zhogs / Kosty Plekanek Kovalev
Samsonov Ribeiro Johnson
Begin Bonk Murray

Or I'm not opposed to shifting Johnson to make a super 4th line, that will get lots of ice time. A Begin Bonk Johnson line would be the BEST 4th line in the NHL by a wide margin. Really a very good 3rd line.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Positives: Mike johnson, very very very good two way player, has underrated offensif skills.
Saku Koivu, Good old saku.
Chris Higgins, Wow can he fly.
Guillaume Latendresse, Most physical player out there, gets in front of the net, hes probably the reason why that streit shot went in.
Micheal Ryder: Played well.

Negatives: The defence was awful.
Corey Locke, ...
Huet, didnt have a very good game.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Habsurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Am I the only one who was really impressed with Kosty tonight?

He was skating out there like there was no tomorrow. We have a very skilled player with Kosty, he just has to put all the pieces together.

I certainly thought he played well...which is a great relief. He looks to be close to pl;aying in the nhl finally, though as you noted, he may not be quite there yet.
Barring an injury call up, I'll predict he'll be called up for good in Dec or Jan.

Really nice to see Bonk and Murray play strong games tonight. I thought most hab forwards played well except Kov, Sams and Locke....though Loc played alright I would say.

The D was awful though my man Streit played very well. Price was decent but reacting slow on some plays. Huet was slow to get going but played a good 3rd imo.

Habsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsurd View Post
I certainly thought he played well...which is a great relief. He looks to be close to pl;aying in the nhl finally, though as you noted, he may not be quite there yet.
Barring an injury call up, I'll predict he'll be called up for good in Dec or Jan.

Really nice to see Bonk and Murray play strong games tonight. I thought most hab forwards played well except Kov, Sams and Locke....though Loc played alright I would say.

The D was awful though my man Streit played very well. Price was decent but reacting slow on some plays. Huet was slow to get going but played a good 3rd imo.
imo, Price has the fastest feet i've seen in a long time. He is so quick down low

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 12:26 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
re: Samsonov:

remember it took Kovalev about 15 games to find his groove.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 12:29 AM
Live Forever

Television > Radio

Live Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 12:34 AM
MacHabs93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Forever View Post
Television > Radio

MacHabs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 12:59 AM
Talent Analyst

Positive :

Streit : Its the Streit we seen in Olympic ..
Price : Looked like an elite NHLer ..
Kostitsyn : Show us great skills and he's ready IMO .
Johnson : Impress me much , fast , great vision .
Locke : Show me some great thing , but he got a lack of strengt .
Higgins : Look bigger and he's as fast than last year .
Ryder : Look faster and play more smarter .
Koivu : Work soo hard , soo fast , great skills .
Latendresse : Play more smart than last year and know what to do on the ice .
Bonk : Its the Bonk that Bob aquiere , Hope he'll continous like that .

Negatif :

Kovalev and Samsonov : They not match with Ribeiro , Locke center type . They will need a scorer IMO as center .
D's was slowwww .
Huet : Scare me ..

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 01:05 AM
goalchenyuk

i just saw only 20 minutes of the game ( second period ) .

I was surprise by the speed of Koivu ; is it possible that captain Saku is faster ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
After reading this thread, I have concluded one thing.

Rivet did naughty things to White Snake's family members.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote