HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why does Gillis get a free Pass?

Old
05-08-2013, 04:41 PM
nameless1
#sunshinesandsmiles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
From an outsider perspective the Hodgson trade was a pretty huge mistake. Hodgson is exactly what the Canucks could use right now (secondary scoring). It didn't look like Hodgson wanted out of Vancouver so badly that he had to be traded, smoothing out that relationship is a much better option than selling low on an elite prospect.
He scores one...
But gives up 2.

It was pretty clear Gillis had enough of him.
He never spoke ill about any player...
Except Hodgson.
One had to go...
And nobody will fire himself.

nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:42 PM
nameless1
#sunshinesandsmiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
I only blame him for the Luongo situation and keeping AV around too long.

Which are huge issues.
I will add the a lack of a backup plan for Malhotra.
The team would probably do a lot better if there was a Malhotra-esque player...
Especially the way AV coaches.

nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Spamhuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
Yes it is, but the situation even getting to that point is completely on Gillis, the guy had Luongo in his back pocket for a full calendar year, and he failed to play the card. In hindsight, MG's stubborness to take the offers he recieved last summer wasted a whole year of Luongo's career being tied up in controversy.
Luongo didn't allow him to consider offers aside from FLA at that point. It's moot about last summer's offers.

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:58 PM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamhuis View Post
Luongo didn't allow him to consider offers aside from FLA at that point. It's moot about last summer's offers.
Thats pure rumour/speculation. The bottom line is that Gillis had plenty of time to get a deal done and he failed miserably, which lead to a brutal situation for both his goalies, and many of their teamates to have to deal with all season long.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
Gillis did a lot to change the culture around this team. It's now a place where free agents want to come. He also built one of the best teams I've seen two seasons ago. Some of his decisions since then are a bit hard to defend though. This is a huge off season for Gillis.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:02 PM
mossey3535

Are you joking? The popular sentiment is to blame Gillis over AV:

Canucks poll: Should GM Mike Gillis and/or coach Alain Vigneault be fired? (From the Vancouver Sun)

Fire AV: 9.7%
Fire Gillis: 23.42%
Fire Both: 53.71%
Fire Neither: 13%

That's 13,000 votes by the way.

The reason why is because if you look at AV's record only and ignore the way this team has played and how they've played the casual fan thinks AV is fine and it's easier for them to play armchair GM than armchair coach.

Make no mistake, Gillis is on a short leash. He's not getting a pass. But it's a fact that a GM typically outlives at least two coaches. If GMMG craps the bed in the next year (I think he only gets a year to make this team more entertaining in the regular season at least) I would fire him. Realistically he probably gets two years. If he and Aquaman are really as close as they say it might be more than that - look at how many mediocre GM's have lasted in their jobs around the league.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Spamhuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
Thats pure rumour/speculation. The bottom line is that Gillis had plenty of time to get a deal done and he failed miserably, which lead to a brutal situation for both his goalies, and many of their teamates to have to deal with all season long.
It's not rumour. Lungo said as much himself when he said that he had to allow the team to consider other options.

SUN-SENTINEL.COM: Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo longs to return to South Florida, but said nothing has changed since giving the green light to Canucks GM Mike Gillis to improve the club anyway he can. Luongo has “softened his stance” regarding the Florida Panthers and Toronto Maple Leafs, admitting he’s open to other possibilities.

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/nhl-m...anuary-9-2013/

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:08 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Gillis did a lot to change the culture around this team. It's now a place where free agents want to come. He also built one of the best teams I've seen two seasons ago. Some of his decisions since then are a bit hard to defend though. This is a huge off season for Gillis.
Free Agents want to come here? LOL!

Gillis built a team? When?

This will be a huge offseason for Gillis if he finds another GM job, because he has run this team into the ground. If he isn't fired, the Canucks will continue to stagnate and rot.

Your decision to post such crap is a bit hard to defend.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:12 PM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamhuis View Post
It's not rumour. Lungo said as much himself when he said that he had to allow the team to consider other options.

SUN-SENTINEL.COM: Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo longs to return to South Florida, but said nothing has changed since giving the green light to Canucks GM Mike Gillis to improve the club anyway he can. Luongo has “softened his stance” regarding the Florida Panthers and Toronto Maple Leafs, admitting he’s open to other possibilities.

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/nhl-m...anuary-9-2013/
Judging by the link you provided the Leafs were always in play right along with Florida, then when Lu "softened his stance" other teams where allowed into the mix.

At any rate, it doesnt change the fact that Roberto Loungo was still wearing a Vancouver Canucks ballcap during a series ending hand shake, a full calendar year after he was put on the trade market.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Not sure why people are thinking Gillis has a "pass" here...he's just build up a lot of credibility within the organization for building it into a very, very strong team...he's likely now under a LOT more scrutiny and if he runs into trouble next season it might be the end for him...his rope just happens to be a little bit longer than AV's.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Tank

Gillis is not going anywhere -- to compare us tot the decline of the Flames - give me a freakin break. We have our D core locked up - a solid number 1 goalie in place (lou or Schneids)Kesler Burrows Higgins locked up -you dont blow that up.

The problem Gillis has is that Nonis' drafting from 2005 -2008 has not yielded anything - that is the challengefacing Gillis - he needs a younger top six forward or two - how? Bold move - Edler, Bieksa, Lou - certainly not impossible. We need to take a chill pill here - we have won more games than any team in the league in the last five years and you are going to fire the guy>>??? NOT A CHANCE

Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:22 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
I wouldn't bat an eye if Gillis was replaced (or moved into President's chair only) by L. Gilman.

I have always had the concern that Gillis might have a lot of enemies around the league - or some lack of friends in the old-boys fraternity that may GMs seem to be in.

There definitely been enough mistakes to warrant a firing, but as many mention, the Canucks have also been successful under his tenure (regular season).

My biggest problem lies with the (perceived) arrogance with respect to past mistakes made - he was too arrogant to admit the Ballard mistake and trade/waive him to make room for Ehrhoff. And too arrogant to give Ehrhoff what he wanted prior to July 1st where he was offered that crazy contract by Buffalo. Big mistake not to recognize what he meant to our transition game. Hindsight being 20/20, I'd much rather have paid Ehrhoff and Torres $8 million, than the $8+ million spent on Ballard and Booth.

Drafting and developing prospects IMO has been an improvement under Gillis.
I hate how everyone just assumes it was so easy to keep Hoff. Does no one look at his curent contract? I don't mean to knock him or his importance to this team, but he got a lot of money. I think he has already been paid over 20 mil in two years, and that includes the lockout. Hoff was looking for a pay day. good for him, but we have to stop saying it was so easy to keep him.

Edit, I believe we offered him the same contract we gave KB.

racerjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Castle1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
Gillis is not going anywhere -- to compare us tot the decline of the Flames - give me a freakin break. We have our D core locked up - a solid number 1 goalie in place (lou or Schneids)Kesler Burrows Higgins locked up -you dont blow that up.

The problem Gillis has is that Nonis' drafting from 2005 -2008 has not yielded anything - that is the challengefacing Gillis - he needs a younger top six forward or two - how? Bold move - Edler, Bieksa, Lou - certainly not impossible. We need to take a chill pill here - we have won more games than any team in the league in the last five years and you are going to fire the guy>>??? NOT A CHANCE
Part of the problem is Gillis has "locked up" so much of this team by handing out NTC's like they were half price Canuck playoff tickets. This will really negatively affect this team in terms of them trying to change things up moving forward.

You really think locking up this defense is a good thing after their performance this year?

Wow.

Castle1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:32 PM
BoHorvatFan

Gillis has made two great signings, Garrison and hamhuis, that are currently on the team. Other than those two every important player on this team was already here when he took over FIVE years ago.

His trades have been incredibly bad, just horrible. From Ballard to Booth to Roy to Kassian... those 4 big trades gave us ZERO goals in the playoffs, Ballard was sitting while we burned a year of an OHL players contract.

I don't trust him to trade any of the core players he inherited because he can't make a good trade to save his life, the last great one was Ehrhoff in what 2009? Other than that it's all little depth moves for guys like Lappy, and the playoff no show of all time Higgins. Nice 4 year extension BTW we can sure use his 2 goals in 33 playoff games going forward.

Gillis is a joke, he's a snake oil salesman, he's a fraud, and he is as overrated as anyone in hockey.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Dado

vCash:
Gillis is getting *plenty* of flack around here.

And deservedly so.

Old
05-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds81 View Post
Holy ****. Could you imagine Mr. Peanut as our GM?

That would be brutal. Every player drafted would be a "Monster".
I'll never understand why people LOL McGuire off as a GM. Sure, the guy is a bit odd on TV but he knows more about rookies than they do. He's frighteningly well corrected and has made a number of accurate analyzes on future draft picks. In fact, he is who believed Kadri would be a game changer and lobbied Toronto not to give up on him. While I am not in the "fire Gillis" camp. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed with McGuire as GM. I think he'd find late in the draft (ala Gillis now) and we could certainly use them.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:44 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post

Well 2005 yielded Raymond (not much, but he is an NHLer) and 2006 yielded 25-30 goal Grabner. Would have been better but for the Bourdon tragedy. Plus one year earlier Nonis drafted our current #1 goalie, top defenseman, and the honey badger. Gillis by comparison - who has 5 drafts under his belt btw - has had nowhere the same impact drafting wise. I like Corrado and Hodgson is a player for sure, but I don't see why the "empty pipeline" is laid squarely at Nonis feet. Corrado is testament to the fact that good draft picks generally show NHl potential fairly early (he was drafted in just 2 years ago). So all the picks from 2008-2011 (3 drafts) should be examined a bit more rigorously rather than just the same old "it's too early to judge" line, because it really isn't ...

CanaFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Henrik To Daniel

I don't usually agree with John Garrett and Gary Valk, but they brought up a good point last night.

Aquillini has pumped a TON of money into this team. He has fulfilled any and all of Gillis' requests. Better trainers, better hotels, better sleeping schedules, better food, the luxury of dumping contracts in the minors, and so much more.

But he has lost out on millions of dollars from lack of playoff revenue these past two years. At some point you have to understand that the Vancouver Canucks are not only a sports franchise, but a business as well and there is no way in hell Aquillini is going to want to keep throwing away money for nothing and he sure as HELL isn't going to be righting Luongo a 30 million dollar cheque this off season.

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:49 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Free agents who either have family here (Hamhuis, Garrison), their wives have family here (Malhotra), have daughters training to be skiers here (Demitra, rip), or are offered ridiculous amounts of money that no other team would even consider (Sundin). Not really sure this qualifies as making Vancouver a "destination" for free agents, or just some fortunate situations that Gillis was able to capitalize on ...

CanaFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 07:02 PM
BoHorvatFan

Gillis should be fired for his BOTCHING of the goaltending situation alone. He has botched that disaster worse than anything a GM has done that I can remember.

10 million dollars in cap space spent on goaltending.... when his team can't score!

There are many reasons to fire him but that mess is number 1.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Momesso
High-End Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
I hate how everyone just assumes it was so easy to keep Hoff. Does no one look at his curent contract? I don't mean to knock him or his importance to this team, but he got a lot of money. I think he has already been paid over 20 mil in two years, and that includes the lockout. Hoff was looking for a pay day. good for him, but we have to stop saying it was so easy to keep him.

Edit, I believe we offered him the same contract we gave KB.
By most reports, it was fairly easy. $5.5M would have gotten it done before July 1st. Buffalo's offer would have been moot.

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 07:07 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaFan View Post
Well 2005 yielded Raymond (not much, but he is an NHLer) and 2006 yielded 25-30 goal Grabner. Would have been better but for the Bourdon tragedy. Plus one year earlier Nonis drafted our current #1 goalie, top defenseman, and the honey badger. Gillis by comparison - who has 5 drafts under his belt btw - has had nowhere the same impact drafting wise. I like Corrado and Hodgson is a player for sure, but I don't see why the "empty pipeline" is laid squarely at Nonis feet. Corrado is testament to the fact that good draft picks generally show NHl potential fairly early (he was drafted in just 2 years ago). So all the picks from 2008-2011 (3 drafts) should be examined a bit more rigorously rather than just the same old "it's too early to judge" line, because it really isn't ...
If you really think this you know absolutely nothing about our curent prospects. both Gaunce and Jensen look to be great players, but you have to give them time to develop. Thats the difference. Nonis made a few good picks, then thats it. Gillis seems to have a lot more.

racerjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Momesso
High-End Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
I don't usually agree with John Garrett and Gary Valk, but they brought up a good point last night.

Aquillini has pumped a TON of money into this team. He has fulfilled any and all of Gillis' requests. Better trainers, better hotels, better sleeping schedules, better food, the luxury of dumping contracts in the minors, and so much more.

But he has lost out on millions of dollars from lack of playoff revenue these past two years. At some point you have to understand that the Vancouver Canucks are not only a sports franchise, but a business as well and there is no way in hell Aquillini is going to want to keep throwing away money for nothing and he sure as HELL isn't going to be righting Luongo a 30 million dollar cheque this off season.
It would not surprise me at all to see Schneider traded for this very reason. Not agreeing or disagreeing, but this will be a huge point of contention within the organization.

Boy would I like to be a fly on that wall.......

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Castle1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Gillis should be fired for his BOTCHING of the goaltending situation alone. He has botched that disaster worse than anything a GM has done that I can remember.

10 million dollars in cap space spent on goaltending.... when his team can't score!

There are many reasons to fire him but that mess is number 1.
I supported Gillis for quite some time on his decision about Luongo...until he FAILED to trade him at the trade deadline. I totally agree with you. Gillis screwed up the Luongo debacle so badly he should pay for it by losing his job.

Castle1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 888
gillis is getting ripped to shreds in vancouver and around the league, the idea of a 'free pass' is pretty much the opposite of what is happening

if he had hired his own coach from the start of his tenure he might very well have been fired this offseason but i think most realize every gm gets to make at least one coaching change throughout his tenure

everybody points to the close relationship between gillis and acquilini but money talks and the amount of lost playoff revenue the past two years is enough to fracture the best of relationships...i mean, the canucks have won the division the past two years and have only played 5 home playoffs games, that is absolutely sickening from a revenue standpoint

i'm not advocating firing gillis but alot of gm's have been fired for alot less around the league

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote