HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Huet=Flash in the pan?

Old
09-24-2006, 07:45 AM
plafleur10

vCash: 500
Huet=Flash in the pan?

....and a costly one at that?

I know it is early, but he wouldn't have stopped a beach ball yesterday, that's how bad he was...

He is more and more what Pierre Maguire says, on his knees all the time, on the first two (extremely weak) goals he gave he just moved down so fast ahead of the play that he took himself right out of the play.

Even RDS, in its game summary, is starting to use the "feu de paille" expression, the French equivalent for "flash in the pan" (http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/213549.html, 3rd paragraph before end).

On the other side, although the goal he gave was a real no angle shot and has to be qualified a bad goal, I thought Carey Price was very solid.

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 07:56 AM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post

I know it is early, but he wouldn't have stopped a beach ball yesterday, that's how bad he was...

He is more and more what Pierre Maguire says, on his knees all the time, on the first two (extremely weak) goals he gave he just moved down so fast ahead of the play that he took himself right out of the play.

Even RDS, in its game summary, is starting to use the "feu de paille" expression, the French equivalent for "flash in the pan" (http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/213549.html, 3rd paragraph before end).

On the other side, although the goal he gave was a real no angle shot and has to be qualified a bad goal, I thought Carey Price was very solid.
Oh and if it had of been the other way around you would be biotching about Price. Man this board is full of whiners.

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Bryzga lol*

wait for the season to start

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 08:01 AM
Qui Gon Dave

-He joined a game halfway through it, without having a proper chance to warm up.
-He (as with every other goalie on the team) has yet to have a chance to play a full game.
-Also consider that at times our teams have taken too many penalties and not always been stellar on defence.

I'll start to worry if after 20-25 games he is still not pulling 2 points out his backside every night. Fortunately there are no points for the pre-season so it doesn't matter. I'm disappointed that we haven't won yet as well, but I really don't think we can start pointing fingers at the goalies who aren't having their job made any easier by the way the games are divided between them and the performances in front of them. When we have a team of 18 players in front of our goalies who are giving their all, we will have a better understanding of where the goalies levels of performance are right now.

As of right now, no way can anyone can be believed when they say he is a flash in the pan. And as for being a costly flash in the pan? Its not like if he does do badly, we are stuck for a goalie to use. Take your pick, Aebi, Danis, maybe even Halak if needed. His salary against the cap? Gainey found a taker for Theodore and his $5+ million salary, I'm sure he could find a taker for Huet if needed, but I'm sure that won't be an option he needs to consider for quite a while yet. In short, i think 'costly flash in the pan' would be highly inaccurate.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 08:03 AM
larue*

If I was a fan to be worried it would be the Islanders. They are stuck with Depietro until he is 40.

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 08:04 AM
wedge

I was disappointed with his play yesterday, but before I say "flash in the pan" I'll wait for the NHL season to start and Huet to have a season close to Theodore's last season.

It's preseason, there's no way I'm gonna start *****ing anyone. The only ones who don't work together are Kovalev and Samsonov and it's time to change the lines.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 08:07 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:

The same could have been said when he first started playing last season too, especially in Hamilton. The question about whether he's "for real" or not has been with us all summer, and I don't think 1 game worth of pre-season play adds anything more to the debate. Gainey obviously thinks he's for real.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 08:10 AM
montreal25m

Is it me...but..

I just find his pads are a bit too big for him...he doesn't look comfortable in them yet. I took a look at last years pads, a little smaller it seems. Lets not get all worried about him, he hasn't played a full game from start to finish..but yes he doesn't look comfortable out there. Being a goalie myself, I know you go through periods like that...and suddenly you funk out of it.

montreal25m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 08:22 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I don't blame him I blame the coach. We are 4 games into the pre-season and we are still one of if not the only team who has not had a goalie play a full game. He looked cold out there coming off the bench in the second period.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 08:45 AM
As the Glorious Weep

Don't worry guys, that's why we have Aebischer. I always knew he'd turn out being our number 1.

As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by As the Glorious Weep View Post
Don't worry guys, that's why we have Aebischer. I always knew he'd turn out being our number 1.
Aebischer doesn't have the talent to be a number one goaltender.

Montreal Typical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 08:52 AM
As the Glorious Weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilist View Post
How so? I remember him doing not too bad in Colorado.

Old
09-24-2006, 08:52 AM
mabus

Quote:
Well Huet certainly wasn't in peak form last night, but let's be serious here, it was HALF of ONE EXHIBITION game. Don't you think you're overreacting just a little?

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 08:53 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Aebischer doesn't have the talent to be a good number one goaltender.
Fixed.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 08:54 AM
As the Glorious Weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
Fixed.
and huet does? At this point, I'm wondering why we don't just use Halak or Danis.

Old
09-24-2006, 08:57 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
and huet does?
I never said that. Huet is unproven, sure, but what he did in the late stretch of the past season was way beyond Aebischer's performance throughout his entire career. I think Huet deserve his chance at #1 spot here and one bad pre-season game should have any rational person jumping to ill conclusions.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 08:58 AM
As the Glorious Weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus View Post
Well Huet certainly wasn't in peak form last night, but let's be serious here, it was HALF of ONE EXHIBITION game. Don't you think you're overreacting just a little?
Actually, unlike other veterans on this team, Huet is fighting for his job right now with one veteran goalies and a bunch of young goalies.

Old
09-24-2006, 09:23 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

If Huet is a flash in the pan then we are in big trouble and will likely be seeing a lot of talk about this summers draft. I am not saying he is or isn't cause I haven't seen him and it's only preseason. I am personally not a huge fan of Aebischer's, always thought of him as an average starter with the Avs.

Imo Huet, Koivu, Markov, Kovalev, this team goes where they take us. We seemed to play like crap whenever we didn't have them in the lineup. It sounds like Koivu should be fine, and I don't see either Markov or Kovalev not playing well for us. I don't expect Huet to put up the numbers he did last year but I hope he can come close to them and that we get good games from Abby as well.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 09:25 AM
Habbadasher

Even Raycroft said it is hard to come in cold off the bench, and that you need a full game to really get your mind and body focussed on the game.

Suddenly we have a bunch of experts who know more than a prfessional goalie? Hmmm.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 09:31 AM
goalchenyuk

Huet Is Playing With New Pads ....!!!!....

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 09:56 AM
BLONG7

Huet will be fine guys, there is no way he will be nearly as bad as Theo was last year...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
...Aebischer has more talent than Huet, Huet has better positioning though.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Can't we just wait for the season to begin? I remember Belfour looking terrible in pre-season a few years ago with the Leafs and he ended up having a very good season that year anyway. I remember Roy giving up 9 goals in a pre-season game back in the day and having a good season nonetheless... Do you expect Huet, or any other regular for that matter, to stand on his head during a pre-season game?? Let's see what he does when our first real game comes around. Until then, I'm just happy to see the youngsters play.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 10:12 AM
mabus

Quote:
Actually, unlike other veterans on this team, Huet is fighting for his job right now with one veteran goalies and a bunch of young goalies.
Sure i'll agree with that, but thats the upside to having so much goaltending depth

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 10:23 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote