HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Huet=Flash in the pan?

Old
09-24-2006, 10:26 AM
The n00b King ©*

vCash: 500
you know what i like in a pan?

golden toast. yaaaaah. i havent had those in ages...

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King © View Post
you know what i like in a pan?

golden toast. yaaaaah. i havent had those in ages...
Best Avatar EVER. Could you make me a Ribs one please

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 10:32 AM
TroyM

Wow. Only in Montreal... How about we give him a regular season game before wondering if he's a 'costly mistake', ughh, kinda makes me sick to read stuff like this!

Yeah. Wow. That pretty much sums up my thoughts on this topic

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 10:37 AM
MM425

Roberto Luongo has played poorly in the pre-season... does that mean he's doomed to be awful?

This means nothing to me... so Huet is a little rusty... it's part of the preparation for the regular season. I have no doubt he'll be at the top of his game come October 4th.

And even assuming Huet turns out to be a one hit wonder... IMO the Habs have 2 NHL calibre goalies to fall back on in Aebisher and Danis... plus a potential franchise keeper in Price.

No need to worry...

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
Wow. Only in Montreal... How about we give him a regular season game before wondering if he's a 'costly mistake', ughh, kinda makes me sick to read stuff like this!

Yeah. Wow. That pretty much sums up my thoughts on this topic
Well you have to feel a bit worried I guess, even before his preseason play I was worried.

He obviously played a bit over his head lastyear hes 30 years old and before lastyear he was a career backup goalie, you would think he would be starting in the NHL long before lastyear if he could play that well on a consistant basis.

For sure I hope he is as good as he was lastyear but I have my doubts and that is why we have Abby I guess.

Dont be surprised if hes not our starting goaltender come xmas or sooner, I hope he is still but time will tell.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Pat

IT'S PRESEASON, let's relax

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 10:43 AM
TroyM

All I can think about when I look at his stats/play in the preseason are his returning numbers in the AHL, after his injury where he lost all 4 games, had a .862 SV% and a 3.79 GAA, and I was like, wow we got a good one here. Then he comes up to the NHL, where it really matters and what does he do? He wins the Crozier.

So no, I'm not worried at all. When it matters, I have utmost confidence he'll start right where he left off again. I don't expect another .929 SV% year but I have no doubts he'll be on top of his game. A lot do I suppose, but hey, just my opinion.

Edit: And since when is 40 games + 6 in the playoffs not a consisten basis? He was the picture of consistency last year, again, in my opinion.

Old
09-24-2006, 10:47 AM
oli500

A goalie will allways show some rust in training camp. I mean how can you expect a goalie to be great when hes been off a couple months. You just cant come in and save everything especialy when your playing half a game because a goalie needs 3 periods to be effective. Its the same with are 0-4 start and wth players like samsonov. I remember when chow came in had a great training everyone jump on his bandwagon and he endid up being a huge disapointment. Or when we had a great training camp. went 6-2 and still missed the playoffs. You just cannot juge your season based on training camp.

Last edited by oli500: 09-24-2006 at 10:53 AM.
oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 10:54 AM
TroyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
My god. When I see some peoples reaction or what some people have to say about are team I truly question myself in wonder why I am a hab fan sometimes. It truly makes me sick. A goalie will allways show some rust in training camp. I mean how can you expect a goalie to be great when hes been off a couple months. You just cant come in and save everything especialy when your playing half a game because a goalie needs 3 periods to be effective. Its the same with are 0-4 start and wth players like samsonov. I remember when chow came in had a great training everyone jump on his bandwagon and he endid up being a huge disapointment. Or when we had a great training camp. went 6-2 and still missed the playoffs. You just cannot juge your season based on training camp.
Indeed, except I never question why I'm a Habs fan! It doesn't detract from my love for the team. But it does really disappoint me seeing fans jumping on players all the time, Samsonov looks bad in 3 preseason games, then say that, say he looks bad in the preseason don't say he sucks, was a waste of money, whatever. Huet plays decent, bad is a stretch as far as I'm concerned, I can admit that, he hasn't looked great, but that doesn't mean he's a bust, flash in the pan, a one year wonder. That's ludicrous. If preseason meant so much Bonk would have led our team in scoring last year.

Some fans just need to calm down, but I can't be too harsh on them, I get riled up about many hockey related things, the only difference is I'm not waiting to pick the next player to jump on and bash, because when it comes down to it he's wearing the CH and I'm going to give him more than a couple meaningless tune up games before I begin to try and chase him out of town!

So everyone should just chill out, which won't happen I know, haha, and let the preseason ride out. Enjoy the good games from rookies turning heads, enjoy watching Saku looking as good as he ever has, enjoy the improved play of some of our guys and get ready for the real thing in a couple weeks!

Old
09-24-2006, 10:57 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
A goalie will allways show some rust in training camp. I mean how can you expect a goalie to be great when hes been off a couple months. You just cant come in and save everything especialy when your playing half a game because a goalie needs 3 periods to be effective. Its the same with are 0-4 start and wth players like samsonov. I remember when chow came in had a great training everyone jump on his bandwagon and he endid up being a huge disapointment. Or when we had a great training camp. went 6-2 and still missed the playoffs. You just cannot juge your season based on training camp.
amen

Relax people... it's gonna be fine

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 11:16 AM
TomPlex

I can't wait for the time when after a game where someone stunk it up or didn't play as expected NO ONE comes onto these boards with a thread like this.

Give Huey a break. Let the season start, and then make your evaluations.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 11:18 AM
oli500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
Indeed, except I never question why I'm a Habs fan! It doesn't detract from my love for the team. But it does really disappoint me seeing fans jumping on players all the time, Samsonov looks bad in 3 preseason games, then say that, say he looks bad in the preseason don't say he sucks, was a waste of money, whatever. Huet plays decent, bad is a stretch as far as I'm concerned, I can admit that, he hasn't looked great, but that doesn't mean he's a bust, flash in the pan, a one year wonder. That's ludicrous. If preseason meant so much Bonk would have led our team in scoring last year.

Some fans just need to calm down, but I can't be too harsh on them, I get riled up about many hockey related things, the only difference is I'm not waiting to pick the next player to jump on and bash, because when it comes down to it he's wearing the CH and I'm going to give him more than a couple meaningless tune up games before I begin to try and chase him out of town!

So everyone should just chill out, which won't happen I know, haha, and let the preseason ride out. Enjoy the good games from rookies turning heads, enjoy watching Saku looking as good as he ever has, enjoy the improved play of some of our guys and get ready for the real thing in a couple weeks!

yeah I shouldent off said that I question myself sometimes on being a hab fan as to me the habs are allways going to be part of my life no matter what happens. I am however really disapointed with some of my fellow hab fans and what they have to say.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Twist and Shout

Yep, but at least you guys have Aebischer to hold the fort until Price is ready.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

you've got to be kidding me. It was one ****ing game!

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 11:42 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

If the cup would have been awarded in preseason, the Bruins and Leafs would have long ended their cupless droughts...so relax ppl! Look at football, Oakland went 4-0 in the preseason, they start 0-2...

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 11:46 AM
BLONG7

What was our record last year in preseason? Does it even matter? Don't the teams that usually do well in the preseason, are the one's who struggle when the real games start? Everybody, re-lax...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
Can't we just wait for the season to begin? I remember Belfour looking terrible in pre-season a few years ago with the Leafs and he ended up having a very good season that year anyway. I remember Roy giving up 9 goals in a pre-season game back in the day and having a good season nonetheless... Do you expect Huet, or any other regular for that matter, to stand on his head during a pre-season game?? Let's see what he does when our first real game comes around. Until then, I'm just happy to see the youngsters play.
In contrast...I went to a Leafs-Bruins exhibition game in Hamilton last year and Belfour looked PHENOMINAL. I was thinking "Damn. So much for the B's finishing ahead of the Leafs this year-because of him". Leafs finished ahead of B's alright, but he started off the season polar opposite to how he was during that one game. One game, a few games...means nothing.

To start judging guys, I'm thinking 30 games maximum to see what you got. Not half a game here and there.

Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
....and a costly one at that?

I know it is early, but he wouldn't have stopped a beach ball yesterday, that's how bad he was...

He is more and more what Pierre Maguire says, on his knees all the time, on the first two (extremely weak) goals he gave he just moved down so fast ahead of the play that he took himself right out of the play.

Even RDS, in its game summary, is starting to use the "feu de paille" expression, the French equivalent for "flash in the pan" (http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/213549.html, 3rd paragraph before end).

On the other side, although the goal he gave was a real no angle shot and has to be qualified a bad goal, I thought Carey Price was very solid.

Huet simply came into camp in bad shape!!! He is not in game shape yet and therefore he is just trying to cheat by going down on his knees too early. Wait til he gets his legs and wind back to top shape and he'll be fine.
He was in great shape last year because of all the rehab on his knee.....he just has to get back to that same place.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Teufelsdreck

If Huet was capable of playing well for over half a season in critical games against NHL opponents, I don't see why he can't recover his form. After all, he wasn't hypnotized into playing over his head and he didn't sell his soul to Satan for temporary glory. If the Nervous Nellies stop to think about it, he was a capable backup in Los Angeles.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 12:59 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Simple answer to your thread title=no

All I'm going to say without going into what I think about irrational fanboys is:

Relax...its just the preseason. They are allowed to suck for a couple game while they tweak their game.

Old
09-24-2006, 01:11 PM
RC51

I was going to blast this poster but you know what?

His post is simply not worth getting all worked up.

It's a dumb post. and thats it.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Mackee

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal25m View Post
I just find his pads are a bit too big for him...he doesn't look comfortable in them yet. I took a look at last years pads, a little smaller it seems. Lets not get all worried about him, he hasn't played a full game from start to finish..but yes he doesn't look comfortable out there. Being a goalie myself, I know you go through periods like that...and suddenly you funk out of it.
That could be part of it. That could be said for just about every goalie in RBK/CCM now that they're all using the new Premier 2's. It always takes a while to break in a new set of pads. Most people don't realize that it's a whole new ballgame with new pads. I'm not worried in the least. I'd rather we go 0-8 now and finish stronger in the standings (think 4-6) then be on the bubble and salvage the pre-season.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 02:36 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
Huet=Flash in the pan?
I think we all know it's better to evaluate a goaltender on two half-pre-season games than 2 NHL seasons (where he won the save percentage trophy once). He let in three goals last night, he must suck, right?

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I wouldnt mind getting Esposito, infact getting the #1 pick in my opinion is just as good as winning the stanely cup, id much rather get esposito than lose in the 1st or 2nd round, which looks to be what this team is capable of doing.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 03:20 PM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Best Avatar EVER. Could you make me a Ribs one please
lol

aight

lemme be creative

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote