HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread #4

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I'd do that too, because it is need for need. Edler isn't old by any stretch and we already have a logjam of young centers.
Why all the love for Edler that we're going to sell the farm for him? Did you watch any of the Sharks series? They pounded the crap out of him and he folded like a cheap tent.

Old
05-08-2013, 09:44 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Why all the love for Edler that we're going to sell the farm for him? Did you watch any of the Sharks series? They pounded the crap out of him and he folded like a cheap tent.
I'm not a big Edler fan either.

I certainly wouldn't trade Couturier for him.

Old
05-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
L. Schenn gets no love around the league.

From the Oilers board:
Well I hope both brothers play for the Flyers for years to come! Luke is the man.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:11 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I'm a Blues fan coming in peace and I just want to explain our financial position to clear some things up. I'll just respond to posts if questions are brought up as I don't want to stir things up.

We have been on a budget for quite awhile, that is true. It is also true that last season, we would have been profitable if we went on a deep playoff run. That kind of sums up last season.

Over the summer, Armstrong was given a budget, and we made competitive offers to Carle an Garrison. For majority of the season we were spending under budget by about 4-5 million.

Our ownership has been cutting costs, most notably John Davidson at $2 million and the Peoria Rivermen that was operating at an unknown loss and it was a significant amount, so take what Vancouver paid us and take the loss out, and that is a significant amount. Ownership also cut numerous other positions on the non-hockey side. Basically, a lot of non-essential costs have been cut.

We have local ownership that are huge Blues fans, and they do have money, in particular the Taylor family, they own Enterprise and are billionaires. We have the ability to spend whatever we want, but they don't want to lose a boatload of money either.

Blues fans do expect a move to be made, but the moves we expect include moving a forward from the group of Perron/Berglund/Stewart/Oshie and possibly moving Halak. Reasons for these trades could be failure in the playoffs, financial, or young players like Jaskin or Allen taking their spot.

Hope this kind of clears things up and explains why we aren't too worried about losing our defensemen. Now, if you have interest in any of those forwards or Halak, then we could discuss a deal, but Schenn would probably be the only player that we'd have interest in, as we need a center to take more offensive minutes since we have Backes to play the shutdown role.
So if I'm interpreting you correctly, the Blues organization is on the brink of bankruptcy and you're desperate to deal off all of your top-line talent for late-round picks and cheap has-beens. Is that a fair summary?

Old
05-08-2013, 10:19 PM
BernieParent

Edler is a top-pairing offensive Dman. From the Canucks games I've seen, he's smooth carrying or passing the puck. Pairing Edler with a Coburn or Grossmann has the potential to be a great top pair. Plus, it will just take a little time to integrate Edler into the Flyers culture of toughness. Let him drink the water for a few weeks and he'll be throwing himself into Malkin in no time.

Old
05-08-2013, 11:06 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
I'm a Blues fan coming in peace and I just want to explain our financial position to clear some things up. I'll just respond to posts if questions are brought up as I don't want to stir things up.

We have been on a budget for quite awhile, that is true. It is also true that last season, we would have been profitable if we went on a deep playoff run. That kind of sums up last season.

Over the summer, Armstrong was given a budget, and we made competitive offers to Carle an Garrison. For majority of the season we were spending under budget by about 4-5 million.

Our ownership has been cutting costs, most notably John Davidson at $2 million and the Peoria Rivermen that was operating at an unknown loss and it was a significant amount, so take what Vancouver paid us and take the loss out, and that is a significant amount. Ownership also cut numerous other positions on the non-hockey side. Basically, a lot of non-essential costs have been cut.

We have local ownership that are huge Blues fans, and they do have money, in particular the Taylor family, they own Enterprise and are billionaires. We have the ability to spend whatever we want, but they don't want to lose a boatload of money either.

Blues fans do expect a move to be made, but the moves we expect include moving a forward from the group of Perron/Berglund/Stewart/Oshie and possibly moving Halak. Reasons for these trades could be failure in the playoffs, financial, or young players like Jaskin or Allen taking their spot.

Hope this kind of clears things up and explains why we aren't too worried about losing our defensemen. Now, if you have interest in any of those forwards or Halak, then we could discuss a deal, but Schenn would probably be the only player that we'd have interest in, as we need a center to take more offensive minutes since we have Backes to play the shutdown role.
offensive center who can help you go further in the playoffs and has a cheap slary. nobody named briere comes to mind here not at all.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Edler is a top-pairing offensive Dman. From the Canucks games I've seen, he's smooth carrying or passing the puck. Pairing Edler with a Coburn or Grossmann has the potential to be a great top pair. Plus, it will just take a little time to integrate Edler into the Flyers culture of toughness. Let him drink the water for a few weeks and he'll be throwing himself into Malkin in no time.
I would think that Elder could be obtained for Simmonds either straight up or with a very small plus. Would you do it?

Old
05-09-2013, 01:45 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I would think that Elder could be obtained for Simmonds either straight up or with a very small plus. Would you do it?
Nope.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Jray42

Quote:
No...

Old
05-09-2013, 03:24 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Prepare the tar and feathers but I think I would. I'd hate myself for it, and I'd be praying loudly that Couturier develops into the player he was projected to be, but yes.

Bring on the hate.

Old
05-09-2013, 03:38 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Simmonds is a rare breed in this league and has turned into a legit presence on the number 1 pp unit in the crease. So no.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Brayden Pattison

Quote:
I'm a Simmer fan and Edler's back problems are troubling, but I'd jump all over that. It's a lot easier to draft a 25 goal/year scorer than a #1 PMD.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Prepare the tar and feathers but I think I would. I'd hate myself for it, and I'd be praying loudly that Couturier develops into the player he was projected to be, but yes.

Bring on the hate.
I don't know if I could say I'd definitely do it at this point, but I'd think long and hard about it.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:

Bring on the hate.
The office microwave has a strict "no tar" policy, so you might be safe.

This time.

05-09-2013, 05:26 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:

So you as a fan base are not worried that someone will offer sheet shatty for 6 mill? Not sure how a team with so many players up for grabs and new contracts doesn't have nervous fans. Especially when your team alone has better "available" players than the rest of the leagues free agents combined.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:29 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad St Cyberbully View Post
I'm a Simmer fan and Edler's back problems are troubling, but I'd jump all over that. It's a lot easier to draft a 25 goal/year scorer than a #1 PMD.
i don't think Edler is a #1 but he would be a great compliment to Schenn or Grossman.

trading coots for edler would be similar to the Schenn/JVR trade. both teams would win.

seravalli seems convinced homer will go all in for Yandle. I don't know bout going all in on a dman that doesn't play all situations.

I really think a guy like Campbell or JBo gets exemptioned and homer goes after one of them.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:03 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The office microwave has a strict "no tar" policy, so you might be safe.

This time.
For future reference, most standard 12-cup office coffee makers have a tar setting. You double-click the timer button and then set the time to 11:59.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:57 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

rumor has it OKT is signing with the Preds in the near future, I already gave them my sympathies, for having to watch him, and for having to read Wolfie's posts

Old
05-10-2013, 07:02 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
rumor has it OKT is signing with the Preds in the near future, I already gave them my sympathies, for having to watch him, and for having to read Wolfie's posts
Guess when you have an entire season's worth of gate revenue going to one player you need to skimp somewhere...

Old
05-10-2013, 07:41 AM
SolidSnakeUS

And then Wolfy gets banned from the Nashville section. That would make my day .

Anyways, I hope we don't do TOO much this off-season. We have a lot of people in the place we want them.

Old
05-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Guess when you have an entire season's worth of gate revenue going to one player you need to skimp somewhere...
Matching that offersheet was the dumbest thing Nashville ever did. No player is worth 4 first rounds picks in todays NHL, especially for a team that drafts well. I would be upset if the Flyers matched such an offer for Giroux. Add the crippling financial burden on the team and it was a poor decision.

Old
05-10-2013, 07:55 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Coots + 1st for Edler + 1st is hardly selling the farm. It's trading a position of strength for a position of weakness. Edler is a good player, the Canucks as a whole were terrible.

05-10-2013, 08:12 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Coots + 1st for Edler + 1st is hardly selling the farm. It's trading a position of strength for a position of weakness. Edler is a good player, the Canucks as a whole were terrible.
Agreed. I'd be cool with this trade. There will probably be a number of good (not great) players available when the Canucks pick too.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Because our 11th pick and Couturier means we are giving up the two best players in the deal, which would be really stupid.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:38 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Because our 11th pick and Couturier means we are giving up the two best players in the deal, which would be really stupid.
What are the Canucks slated to pick at, 16-18? I don't know, I think as it stands right now, Edler is better than Couturier at a more pressing position. Sure, he's 7 years older, but he's entering the prime of his career as a defenseman.

I'm not trying to give Couturier away, believe me. Edler is signed at a pretty decent cap hit and the jury is really still out on whether Couturier will reach his ceiling. At any rate, Lavy misuses him as we've all seen anyway.

Now that you mention it, I'm keeping Couturier. Forget it lol!

Closed Thread