HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Bobrovsky Winning the Vezina Would Mean For The Flyers

Old
05-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
I really want Bob to win

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Roman Reigns
One Versus All

vCash: 500
People just really need to get over it. I hate it too but what's done is done. Bickering about it constantly isn't going to make it any better.

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Jray42
Win it for Kimmo

vCash: 50
I say we just offersheet him and get him back

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Bob wanted to start. He wasn't going to get that here, so we gave him what he wanted. Was is the right move? No, but hindsight is 20/20.

I'm happy for him. I really don't think he would be having the same success here.
He might have the same success in Philly, we missed the playoffs too.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Tripod

Well...I guess if he won, then every other team should be pissed too. He went UNDRAFTED so no other team saw enough to spend a 7th rounder on him. Then he went UNSIGNED for another 4 years. No one else signed him during that time. And then when Philly had him on the block...the best offer was a 2nd rounder and 2 4th rounders. I'm sure teams would offer more today. So really, Philly isn't the only one to have lost out on Bob. What Homer did do is take an unsigned, free player and turn it into 3 assets. As for if Bob wins, good for him, he has earned it.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:38 PM
achdumeingute

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Bobrovsky would not have had the type of season he had in Columbus if he were with us. We do not play a style that is conducive to producing good stats on ANY goalie.

I hope that it makes the powers that be be more likely to give youngsters a real chance. Bob got screwed in the playoffs 3 season ago when they let him get shelled. Instead of allowing him to learn, they decided to go with proven back-ups with no future in Boucher and Leighton. That was just stupid. I hope it makes the organization not be so quick to jettison youth. However, I was really pleased with the return they got for him, based on his track record up to that point.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:10 PM
SuchySays

horrible article. amateur hour on the "hockey writers".

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:38 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

in hindsight. if we used in hindsight all the time owners would never fire GMs or coaches.

the Flyers still gave up on him too soon. In his first NHL playoffs in his career he didnt play well. wouldn't be the first time that happened to a rookie.
good thing we have Bryzgalov for 7 more years instead LOL.

on well its hindsight. what can you do

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:40 AM
BillDineen

I 100% want Bob to win and I think he deserves it.

If anything, maybe this will be a lesson to Snider not to interfere.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:55 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I 100% want Bob to win and I think he deserves it.

If anything, maybe this will be a lesson to Snider not to interfere.
Bobrovsky could win Vezina and the Hart trophy and that would not stop Snider from interfering. He is the NHL version of Al Davis.

Old
05-09-2013, 06:11 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Hindsight has little do to with it, there are plenty of people who thought going the Bryz route was incorrect at the time, because it was pretty clear Bob could be a starting goaltender. It was also clear, through simple math and knowledge of player career arcs, that for the long term Bob was a better choice than a 30 year old Bryz.
I don't think so. Bob had a good year his rookie season, but it wasn't an earth-shattering performance. He also played completely terrible in his playoff performance. Yes, the Flyers could have went with Bob, but there is risk in that, the risk being that Bob fizzles out. They went with Bryz, a former Vezina nominee. There was also risk in that, but that risk was far less. Again, with hindsight the less riskier thing turned out to come to fruition.

I'm not entirely sure why you would say going with an unproven goalie over a former Vezina nominee is a better move (without hindsight). It is not like Bobrovsky was a former #1 pick that the Flyers had invested a lot into or that for years people were saying he was going to be something great. He was a guy who came out of nowhere and played well, then **** the bed in the playoffs. You really think a better move is to hope and pray that the unproven goalie turns into something special and let the former Vezina nominee go somewhere else? You would have had no problem with the scenario if the story was flipped (Bob fizzles in Philly, Bryz gets a Vezina nod somewhere else)?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:35 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I hope he wins it. He was a good goalie and shown glimpses of being great, but he was stuck on a team that the fans are tough on goalies. The system run here also requires you to stop many odd man rushes against you and many guys left unchecked right in front of the crease. There is no saying he would turn into this type of goalie in Philly. Either way I wish him well.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:29 AM
CSKA1974

I hope Bob wins it.

I truly liked his work ethics and attitude. I wish him well and will always root for him.

But, he, most likely, would not have this level of performance had he stayed with Flyers: different attention to team defence, different goalie coaching.

Also, Bob is yet to prove his ability to sustain high intensity level over 82 game season.

Last edited by CSKA1974: 05-09-2013 at 08:39 AM.
CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:03 AM
dawkins121

He was traded before the new CBA was negotiated and the amnesty clauses were in place, meaning the Flyers had to act as though Bryz would be their starting goalie for the forseeable future. Very few people had any problems with the trade at the time because we got decent return for an (up to that point) inconsistent backup and it appeared that Bryz would be taking the starters job for the next 5-6 years at least. Take off your hindsight glasses.

Also, let's see how Bobrovsky does in a full 82 game season.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:11 AM
DrHamburg

I hope Bob wins. I always thought he was going to be a solid starter one day. He always has time to turn it around, but it scared me about his comments about playing in the playoffs. How many people say that publicly. He wasn't ready for Philly postseason. Add into that that he was awful last year and there was no Amnesty trading him was pretty much the only option. He needed full time minutes. Wouldn't ever wish for him to do poorly and would be happy if he does well. But given the situation the Flyers needed to trade him and got a good package for him at the time.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:33 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

If Bob wins the Vezina here and we still didn't make the playoffs, it'd be nice but I honestly wouldn't care too much.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:23 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Bobrovsky winning the Vezina with the Blue Jackets would mean very little, as he was never going to win the Vezina with the Flyers.

It was a risky trade at the time--if Bob put it together, it was always going to look back in hindsight. But let's not pretend that that was inevitable.
Basically this. I still think the best thing that happened to him was not to be near Reese. Good for Bob though if he does win. He moved on. We moved on. The world keeps spinning.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:55 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Basically this. I still think the best thing that happened to him was not to be near Reese. Good for Bob though if he does win. He moved on. We moved on. The world keeps spinning.
people want to credit Reese for turning Mason around for that 6 game stretch which is pretty laughable. Mason had no pressure coming in here at all.
lets see what happens next season when the pressure is back on him. I still think Reese is a horrible goalie coach. pretty bad when you are told in to the team you were traded to to ignore everything that was taught to you in Philadelphia.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't think so. Bob had a good year his rookie season, but it wasn't an earth-shattering performance. He also played completely terrible in his playoff performance. Yes, the Flyers could have went with Bob, but there is risk in that, the risk being that Bob fizzles out. They went with Bryz, a former Vezina nominee. There was also risk in that, but that risk was far less. Again, with hindsight the less riskier thing turned out to come to fruition.

I'm not entirely sure why you would say going with an unproven goalie over a former Vezina nominee is a better move (without hindsight). It is not like Bobrovsky was a former #1 pick that the Flyers had invested a lot into or that for years people were saying he was going to be something great. He was a guy who came out of nowhere and played well, then **** the bed in the playoffs. You really think a better move is to hope and pray that the unproven goalie turns into something special and let the former Vezina nominee go somewhere else? You would have had no problem with the scenario if the story was flipped (Bob fizzles in Philly, Bryz gets a Vezina nod somewhere else)?
Agh. So I have to rehash a debate from 2 years ago?

1) Bob showed amazing potential. As a young goalie, it's reasonable to expect that he would improve and develop, which is something that young players with amazing potential often do. The playoffs weren't a big deal because he was a rookie. Lots of rookies struggle, especially when such and insane amount of pressure is thrown on them all at once, like they did with Bob. He was/is young as well, so he had/has plenty of time to figure things out. Anybody who freaked out about those POs was overreacting, it's not like the guy is Fleury/Bryz age, where continued playoff meltdowns is an extremely alarming trait. Hell, even Fleury has a bit of time to figure that part of his game out.
2) It was obvious at the time that Bryzgalov would be expensive. Bob wouldn't be. So with Bryz, we would have less depth on the team than we would have with Bob/Vet.
3) Bryz was near the peak of his prime, we'd be signing him for a couple prime years and then keeping him into the usual decline years for the average player. That's not attractive. Bob still had his prime years ahead of him.

Those were the arguments I made at the time. That was without hindsight, that was just using what was known at the time. The only thing incorrect there is the assumption that we'd get some good years out of Bryz before declining, since apparently we're gonna get nothing but decline.

05-09-2013, 12:50 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

What would it mean? It would mean that the Flyers, once again, gave up on a young player too soon.

Keep in mind that Columbus' defense is no better than the Flyers and the Flyers' offense is significantly better than the Jackets. It's not as though he went to a powerhouse defensive team, which skewed his numbers. Would he have played as well in Philadelphia? We have no way of knowing, but it's not out of range to say he could.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Agh. So I have to rehash a debate from 2 years ago?
Yes.

Quote:
1) Bob showed amazing potential. As a young goalie, it's reasonable to expect that he would improve and develop, which is something that young players with amazing potential often do. The playoffs weren't a big deal because he was a rookie. Lots of rookies struggle, especially when such and insane amount of pressure is thrown on them all at once, like they did with Bob. He was/is young as well, so he had/has plenty of time to figure things out. Anybody who freaked out about those POs was overreacting, it's not like the guy is Fleury/Bryz age, where continued playoff meltdowns is an extremely alarming trait. Hell, even Fleury has a bit of time to figure that part of his game out.
Bob did not show amazing potential. He played well for one season. That is not amazing potential. Potential, yes. Amazing potential? No. If you want to ignore the playoffs, that is fine. He still did not show amazing potential. He certainly had time to develop, but having time to develop does not mean that he WILL develop. There were risks involved in sticking with Bob. There were risks in going with Bryz. The risks with Bryz were less likely to occur. The risks with Bob were more likely to occur. I don't know how you can tell me the riskier decision would be a better decision without the benefit of hindsight. Even if you made these arguments two years ago, I would have said (and probably did say) that you were wrong. Honestly answer this hypothetical: If the Flyers kept Bob and he fizzled out, and Bryz put up similar numbers to Bob this season elsewhere, you would stand by your decision and say that it was the better move to go with Bob? I find that highly unlikely. I imagine you would be saying the same thing I am saying now, that it would have been less risky to go with the proven commodity rather than the unknown with potential.

Quote:
2) It was obvious at the time that Bryzgalov would be expensive. Bob wouldn't be. So with Bryz, we would have less depth on the team than we would have with Bob/Vet.
That's true, and I think we can all agree that his contract is a bigger issue than the actual act of signing him. But again, by passing on Bryz and keeping Bob in favor of adding depth to your skaters, you are risking the same thing pretty much. The depth may not work out and Bob may still crumble, while Bryz excels elsewhere. Who would have been the depth guy(s) we got? Still would need a backup goalie so that leaves about $4 million...where does that go and does that guy really make a difference if Bob ***** the bed? Sure, it could have gone perfect, but when you are dealing with this situation, I think the safest bet is to go with the safest bet...not the unknown.

Quote:
3) Bryz was near the peak of his prime, we'd be signing him for a couple prime years and then keeping him into the usual decline years for the average player. That's not attractive. Bob still had his prime years ahead of him.
I agree with this, and I think most at the time didn't like the length of the contract. If your problem is simply that the Bryz contract was bad, I agree with you there. They should have signed him to a shorter deal, but that still wouldn't have changed the situation with Bob. He still would have been dealt and it still would have been the right move.

Quote:
Those were the arguments I made at the time. That was without hindsight, that was just using what was known at the time. The only thing incorrect there is the assumption that we'd get some good years out of Bryz before declining, since apparently we're gonna get nothing but decline.
Your reasoning is still flawed. Just because you wanted to stick with Bob in hopes that he some day turns into something special doesn't mean it was the right move. Bad decisions that work out in the end aren't decisions that should be repeated in the future because it worked out once. Sticking with Bob would not have been smart. It may have worked out, but it wasn't a good decision. I think you have told me this a number of times, in dealing with Bryz when I said I would give Bryz the same contract if he wins us a Cup. Something about the ends not justifying the means...

Old
05-09-2013, 01:06 PM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

Another reason why so many Flyer fans were ticked off at the Bobrovsky trade and what followed is that the Flyers signed Leighton to backup Bryzgalov. So not only did they sign Bryzgalov to a stupid contract they signed arguably the worst goalie in the NHL to back up Bryzgalov. At what cost? 500k less then it would of been to keep Bobrovsky. That isnt hindsight. that is just ****ing stupidity

Old
05-09-2013, 01:20 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Another reason why so many Flyer fans were ticked off at the Bobrovsky trade and what followed is that the Flyers signed Leighton to backup Bryzgalov. So not only did they sign Bryzgalov to a stupid contract they signed arguably the worst goalie in the NHL to back up Bryzgalov. At what cost? 500k less then it would of been to keep Bobrovsky. That isnt hindsight. that is just ****ing stupidity
Obviously the Leighton move was bad. But you had to know once Bryz was signed that Bob was getting dealt. it wasn't a move to save money, it was a move to get something in return for a guy that was never going to start here.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:27 PM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Obviously the Leighton move was bad. But you had to know once Bryz was signed that Bob was getting dealt. it wasn't a move to save money, it was a move to get something in return for a guy that was never going to start here.
Obviously. I still think the Flyers gave up on him to soon. Its just more proof why I dont trust the Flyers when it comes to how they handle young goaltenders and defenseman.