HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Blashill: Future Red Wings Coach?

Old
05-08-2013, 03:50 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
That's not unique for the Wings - basically every team does that.
Not to the same extent as Detroit.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 03:53 PM
opivy
Sauce King

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Come on.
For me, right now, I wouldn't even fire Holland. Though I wouldn't have minded seeing him go upstairs and letting Nill take over.

But for Babcock, I want him fired.

Time to get a coach who believes in Red Wings philosophy.

Babcock and go reunite with Brian Burke somewhere

Still, I find your logic troubling.
You think that because the Red Wings were able to win after losing all these guys -- that Holland should keep his job forever?
"Red Wings philosphy."

What is this and how does Babcock not fit it?

I would say that the "philsophy" died when the team didn't have a top 6 filled with top 3 players and a blue line filled with 1-3 HOFers.

Just curious on your take.

opivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Not to the same extent as Detroit.
Correct. Which one of the teams that don't, have the track record of success that Detroit has?

Capsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:20 PM
TatarTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsized View Post
I think Holland's success buys him a little latitude. Yes. I would say the same for Babs. Both have had a great deal of success at their respective jobs. I have no reason to believe that both have suddenly become stupid and forgotten everything they knew. Nor do I think assessing, developing and coaching talent has changed all that much in the last 10 years. Therefore I believe it is obvious that Holland and Babcock are capable qualified individuals making decisions that their qualifications and capabilities tell them are best.
If there wasn't a salary cap you would be correct.

Holland hasn't accomplished much, outside of signing Hossa, since the cap has been in place. Jim Nill was the brains behind drafting and devolping players, Holland just happens to announce the name. He is a wait and see GM and in todays cap era you have to be able to make aggressive moves, which history shows he is afraid to do.

The bottom line is; Holland was a terrific GM before the cap and has been horrific since, with the cap in place

As for Babcock; he's a fantastic coach but the Red Wings need a breath of fresh air. Blashill would make sense seeing as he's coached most of the players that will be on the Red Wings, there wouldn't be much of an adjustment period.

For the record; nobody is denying Hollands success before the cap

Last edited by TatarTangle: 05-08-2013 at 04:29 PM.
TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake View Post

Holland hasn't accomplished much, outside of signing Hossa, since the cap has been in place. Jim Nill was the brains behind drafting and devolping players, Holland just happens to announce the name. He is a wait and see GM and in todays cap era you have to be able to make aggressive moves, which history shows he is afraid to do.

The bottom line is; Holland was a terrific GM before the cap and has been horrific since, with the cap in place

As for Babcock; he's a fantastic coach but the Red Wings need a breath of fresh air. Blashill would make sense seeing as he's coached most of the players that will be on the Red Wings, there wouldn't be much of an adjustment period.

Jim Nill was clearly a qualified individual but he wasn't the "Player czar". The franchise is a machine and Holland assembled that machine including the hiring of Jim Nill if I am not mistaken. Player acquisitions are committee decisions and Holland has done a great job of hiring qualified people.
The cap has reduced the number of star quality free agents available but that has nothing to do with player evaluation which with Holland's staff has done a pretty good job.
If a "breath of fresh air" means to take the best coach out of the equation in favor of a lesser but familiar coach, I will pass. Babcock has this roster competing while nobody here thinks they are good. This team hasn't fallen apart or quit under Babcock's watch. A coaches job isn't to make the players happy. It is to make them perform. Babs has done that and continues to do so whether or not some fans agree with his decisions.

Old
05-08-2013, 04:56 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake View Post

One of the more interesting notes to come out when Nill was leaving was that he in fact had given away some of his drafting responsibilities the last couple of drafts. In other words the ones that everyone gushes over around here, weren't as much Jim Nill's as we thought.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Sentinel

I'll give you KH track record over the past three seasons: out in the 2nd (2x), out in the 1st. Three seasons is more than enough latitude to rest on laurels. If you are not seeing that this team keeps getting worse and worse, you are blind. If you are not seeing that KH's signings aren't worth **** (Sam, KFQ, Cleary), while his non-signings are tearing up the league (Semin, Suter), you are dumb.

And I wouldn't have a problem had he been fired in 2001. With unlimited budget of Ilitch, anyone could do what he did. And the 2008 is hardly his accomplishment either.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post
"Red Wings philosphy."

What is this and how does Babcock not fit it?

I would say that the "philsophy" died when the team didn't have a top 6 filled with top 3 players and a blue line filled with 1-3 HOFers.

Just curious on your take.
Personally, I don't think Babcock embraces offensive, puck control hockey. He loves defensive hockey and dislikes risk taking. I would love to replace Babcock with Bylsma. Bylsma isn't the better coach, but he's a fresh voice and encourages his guys to open it up a bit.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
I'll give you KH track record over the past three seasons: out in the 2nd (2x), out in the 1st. Three seasons is more than enough latitude to rest on laurels. If you are not seeing that this team keeps getting worse and worse, you are blind. If you are not seeing that KH's signings aren't worth **** (Sam, KFQ, Cleary), while his non-signings are tearing up the league (Semin, Suter), you are dumb.

And I wouldn't have a problem had he been fired in 2001. With unlimited budget of Ilitch, anyone could do what he did. And the 2008 is hardly his accomplishment either.
So Holland has accomplished nothing? Who would you replace him with? I am eager to hear about all these amazing candidates who are so superior to Holland!

Old
05-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Personally, I don't think Babcock embraces offensive, puck control hockey. He loves defensive hockey and dislikes risk taking. I would love to replace Babcock with Bylsma. Bylsma isn't the better coach, but he's a fresh voice and encourages his guys to open it up a bit.
Pass a million times.The inmates run the asylum in Pittsburgh.

Old
05-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 2336
Quote:
Jim Nill was clearly a qualified individual but he wasn't the "Player czar". The franchise is a machine and Holland assembled that machine including the hiring of Jim Nill if I am not mistaken. Player acquisitions are committee decisions and Holland has done a great job of hiring qualified people.
The cap has reduced the number of star quality free agents available but that has nothing to do with player evaluation which with Holland's staff has done a pretty good job.
If a "breath of fresh air" means to take the best coach out of the equation in favor of a lesser but familiar coach, I will pass. Babcock has this roster competing while nobody here thinks they are good. This team hasn't fallen apart or quit under Babcock's watch. A coaches job isn't to make the players happy. It is to make them perform. Babs has done that and continues to do so whether or not some fans agree with his decisions.

A lot of people are of the state of mind that Holland should have moved up to where Jim Devellano is today. So it wouldn't be much of a problem. The criticisms levied toward Holland as a GM in the post lockout are completely warranted.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg Yzerman View Post
A lot of people are of the state of mind that Holland should have moved up to where Jim Devellano is today. So it wouldn't be much of a problem. The criticisms levied toward Holland as a GM in the post lockout are completely warranted.
I would argue that Devallano is of value as well. I can't see forcing him into retirement in favor of Holland. The Wings will be fine. I just might take a bit of patience.

Old
05-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 2336
Quote:
I would argue that Devallano is of value as well. I can't see forcing him into retirement in favor of Holland. The Wings will be fine. I just might take a bit of patience.
Move Devallano to another senior position is all.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Once we get above Holland, I picture everyone as just a big senior position cloud.

05-08-2013, 11:10 PM
Frk It
#snipequist

It's downright creepy how much this dude sounds like Babcock. Wonder if he would coach the exact same way too? Seems like they even talk about the same stuff and value the same things in players when I listen to interviews

Last edited by Frk It: 05-08-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:16 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
That's not unique for the Wings - basically every team does that.
Oh stop.
One second, you're talking about the "irony" of wings fans not being happy with all the rookies after years of complaining about the lack of rookies.

And now this?

Teams don't keep all their rookies out of the lineup for 3 years then put them all in at once.

That's not what "basically every team does"

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:30 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Lashoff...

Old
05-09-2013, 01:25 AM
apre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
No. It's the way he uses them.

Derp.

Few people would have problems with Abby if he were playing on the third or fourth line like he should. Or with Cleary if he weren't on the second PP unit and second line. Babs decides their ice time and he gives them far too much.
Babcock is making sure that the team plays better than the roster suggests.

Very few teams in the NHL actually do. Bruins and Toronto come to mind, and maybe Columbus this year.

Detroit didn't draft anyone in top 10 and 1 in top 20 (Kindl, lol) in last 20 years. Because of enormous luck/amazing scouting work (mostly latter) they got a ton of talent with very low draft picks. They still keep doing just that, finding great undrafted players etc, and it seems to be enough to keep making the playoffs, but not more.

Detroit needs to start pouring money into buying players or go low enough/do some smart trading to draft high. Basically, it's the GM work that's lacking, mostly. But at the same time we do not know what is the situation there financially.

If Babcock were to leave, there will be a whole new level of misery, and even years like 2012-2013 would be thought of with bitter nostalgia, I think.

apre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:26 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Lashoff...
The Size Queen strikes again.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:30 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Correct. Which one of the teams that don't, have the track record of success that Detroit has?
That's an unfair point in my opinion. In the past it was a legit excuse, but ever since the cup run the Wings have made some very questionable moves. Bringing in guys like Salei (rip), Modano, Sammy again and CC these past few years is a lot different than bringing in Hull, Robatallie, and Hasek to a primed cup favorite already and adding Dallas Drake to a team coming off a 55+ win season.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:34 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

So will anyone defend Babcock's job tonight?

Lashoff has proven uncapable, but continues to take a regular shift. Screwed up on the game winner. Screwed up majorly twice, but was saved by Palmeiri missing an open net and the ref whistling off the goal.

Meanwhile-- Babcock's decision to put Eaves and company out on the five minute PP-- led to a poor pass by Eaves, that caused Smith to take the penalty that killed the PP and led to Getzlaf's huge PP goal.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:38 AM
Yemack

I agree he could have done better tonight on couple occasions.

But you gotta remember Ducks coach is holding better hands. Series is still 3-2. Let's look at the forest not a tree.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:40 AM
RedWingzz
Detroit Vs Everybody

I wonder if Blashill would put his 4th line on the ice on a powerplay with a 1 goal lead?? I doubt it.

RedWingzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:40 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

He also spent almost the whole game protecting Lashoff and Kindl with either the Filppula line or the Datsyuk line. I know it worked last game for the winner, but the change was a little mystifying when overtime struck.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:43 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingzz View Post
I wonder if Blashill would put his 4th line on the ice on a powerplay with a 1 goal lead?? I doubt it.
Blashill does some curious things down in Grand Rapids as well, especially with his D pairings. Right now he has both Ouellet and Sproul sitting to play Fournier. Even worse he could play Nicastro over Fournier if he is worried about understanding the system and experience any one is a better idea. He also lets Billins play the half wall while shifting Tatar to the point, it is strange to watch. Almqvist and Paetsch are our only D really that are good point men with shots and are often wasted with the second forward unit. Just pointing out something he does down there that drives me nuts.