HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part 4: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2013, 07:58 PM
daynus

vCash: 500
if their is an off the radar pick at 11

and we do go to the Q, i am gonna say, not gauthier,not fucale. the 2 guys i would keep my eyes on from the q are samuel morin,d, rimouski and in the 2nd, marc oliver roy,rw, blainville-boisbriand. in fact i bet morin,zakarov,pulock are on that short list at 11 as well.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
I don't think Laughton will be pressuring him to do anything. Laughton is good, but he is inferior on both ends of the ice. He is not going to replace Couturier's tough defensive minutes.
I think Scott is a better all around player than you are giving him credit for. I know you say he is good, but I think he will be able to take the tough defensive minutes from anyone once he makes the team next year. Hey its a good thing if you ask me.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I've decided I want the Flyers to get Hagg. What're y'all's take on him? he sounds like he would be a solid pick with not a huge upside, but not a huge downside. I think he could be a #2.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:29 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...-lavys-future/

Last section:

On pursuit for a No. 1 defenseman to replace injured star Chris Pronger:

“Us and 29 other teams are looking for that guy. It’s a never-ending quest to try to find that defenseman that can play all situations. Maybe you have to draft that guy. I don’t know. I like our defensemen when the top 5 guys are healthy. If we could find the right guy and put him into that mix, it would make them better. Obviously, you’re not going to replace a Chris Pronger, but if you can find the right guy who plays on your power play and kills penalties …”

People might not see it as much, but fact is, Holmgren pretty much admits that the only way to get a number one defenseman is to draft one.

As for acquiring a defenseman, if the rumours are true about the Canucks blowing things up, I'd be certainly interested in seeing if a Hartnell/Edler swap could be arranged......

Old
05-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I think Scott is a better all around player than you are giving him credit for. I know you say he is good, but I think he will be able to take the tough defensive minutes from anyone once he makes the team next year. Hey its a good thing if you ask me.
I would rather have him spend another year in the OHL being the go to guy than coming in and being a shutdown guy. Let the kids with offensive upside play and get more experience. Sign a Hall or Gordon who can win a faceoff in the defensive zone. Run with:
Hartnell G Voracek
Read Schenn Simmonds
Gagne Couts Talbot
Rinaldo Hall Mcginn

A big part of me just wants to make the big moves and trade Couts for Edler
Then sign a true 3rd line C for a shutdown role.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I would rather have him spend another year in the OHL being the go to guy than coming in and being a shutdown guy. Let the kids with offensive upside play and get more experience. Sign a Hall or Gordon who can win a faceoff in the defensive zone. Run with:
Hartnell G Voracek
Read Schenn Simmonds
Gagne Couts Talbot
Rinaldo Hall Mcginn

he already dominated down there. There's nothing left for him to accomplish in the OHL anymore

Old
05-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...-lavys-future/

Last section:

On pursuit for a No. 1 defenseman to replace injured star Chris Pronger:

“Us and 29 other teams are looking for that guy. It’s a never-ending quest to try to find that defenseman that can play all situations. Maybe you have to draft that guy. I don’t know. I like our defensemen when the top 5 guys are healthy. If we could find the right guy and put him into that mix, it would make them better. Obviously, you’re not going to replace a Chris Pronger, but if you can find the right guy who plays on your power play and kills penalties …”

People might not see it as much, but fact is, Holmgren pretty much admits that the only way to get a number one defenseman is to draft one.

As for acquiring a defenseman, if the rumours are true about the Canucks blowing things up, I'd be certainly interested in seeing if a Hartnell/Edler swap could be arranged......
I was talking to one of their fans about a Couts + Hartnell for Edler and Kassian deal. Salaries are a wash, our D gets much better. We would then look for forward help thru UFA which is MUCH easier than finding Defensive help.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
he already dominated down there. There's nothing left for him to accomplish in the OHL anymore
Laughton having 56 points in 49 games is not dominating. Why rush our young players and have them play defensive roles. Let him be a #1 C in Oshawa. Then start in the AHL the year after. I would much rather have Couts come into the NHL and have the Huberdeau type of impact rather than one in a shutdown role.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:50 PM
GiggityGiggityGoo

If Vancouver "blows things up" they're going to keep some pieces, and I tend to think Edler would be one of them.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:55 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Laughton having 56 points in 49 games is not dominating. Why rush our young players and have them play defensive roles. Let him be a #1 C in Oshawa. Then start in the AHL the year after. I would much rather have Couts come into the NHL and have the Huberdeau type of impact rather than one in a shutdown role.
He had 13 points in 7 playoff games too. I believe Homer was quoted as saying Laughton has dominated the OHL level.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He had 13 points in 7 playoff games too. I believe Homer was quoted as saying Laughton has dominated the OHL level.
I just don't like him coming in and playing 4th line defensive minutes. Let a veteran who can win faceoffs do that. Now if they play him on the 3rd line with Couts and Read...I am fine with that.

Old
05-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Hartnell G Voracek
Read Schenn Simmonds
Gagne Couts Talbot
Rinaldo Hall Mcginn

The young man will be with the big club next year. He is ready for the NHL. A year in the O would be a waste.

Old
05-08-2013, 09:51 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
The young man will be with the big club next year. He is ready for the NHL. A year in the O would be a waste.
A year in the O would not be a waste. He will be the #1 center with Jenner gone, presumably the captain, and a chance to play a big role at the WJC's. He had a nice stretch when he was returned, but playing 20 minutes a night in all situations as opposed to playing 10 minutes a night in a limited role is better for his development. We know he can hold his own in the NHL, but I believe for him to take that next step as a player it would be best for him to put a full season's work in the O as 'the guy'.

Old
05-08-2013, 11:04 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
If you think Laughton is going to come here and have a Huberdeau impact I think you are going to be disappointed.

Won't get the ice time and isn't NEARLY that dynamic of a player.

Old
05-08-2013, 11:06 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
AHe had a nice stretch when he was returned, but playing 20 minutes a night in all situations as opposed to playing 10 minutes a night in a limited role is better for his development.
This is a myth. If he can play at this level, its better for him to face a much better quality of competition 10 minutes a game (and in practice) than inferior competition 20 minutes a game.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:37 AM
BillDineen

I had previously posted another poster who quoted multiple scouts calling Nurse dumb. Well, he was named scholastic player of the year in the OHL.

http://www.saultstar.com/2013/05/08/...player-of-year

Old
05-09-2013, 12:52 AM
Krishna

Were the scouts calling him dumb in regards to hockey?

Old
05-09-2013, 12:56 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
It came from poster Mark Edwards:

"As I mentioned in another thread, Craig and I sat together for quite a few games in Sochi. We always have fun talking about a few of the prospects because we see a some of them very differently. I'm not nearly as high on Morin as him and I have not spoken to a single scout who has Morin in that range. Conversely, Craig is not as high on Bowey as me.

As for Nurse, he has improved but I still have not spoken to a scout who sees him as a top 10. He is not a top 10 for me. I know a few guys are not fans at all and don't even see him as a first rounder. "Dumb" is the most common word used to describe him by the scouts who are not big fans. Note: I'm not saying that there are not some scouts who might like him as a top 10, just saying I haven't spoken to any who do.

A wide range of opinions on Many players in this years draft. It's going to be an interesting one to watch unfold."

Old
05-09-2013, 12:58 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Yes. Hockey smarts vs book smarts I guess, but I am skeptical of the "dumb" view.

Old
05-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Yea I don't think they would call someone straight up dumb, probably referencing hockey IQ.

Old
05-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I had previously posted another poster who quoted multiple scouts calling Nurse dumb. Well, he was named scholastic player of the year in the OHL.

http://www.saultstar.com/2013/05/08/...player-of-year
Quote:
...they were referring to "hockey IQ," not actual IQ.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
The more I hear about him, the more I am hoping the Flyers draft Ristolainen. I think I'd pick him even if Nurse is available.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:13 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

My list going into the draft for defenseman would be

1. Jones
2. Ristolainen
3. Nurse
4. Pulock
5. Zadorov
6. Morrissey
7. Theodore
8. Mueller
9. Haag
10. Morin/Bowey

Old
05-09-2013, 05:30 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
This is a myth. If he can play at this level, its better for him to face a much better quality of competition 10 minutes a game (and in practice) than inferior competition 20 minutes a game.
I would agree with a player with a more established track record. For instance a guy like Couturier. He dominated his league for 2 years. He had nothing left to gain in the Q. Laughton "dominated" for half a season. Another year in the O would be far from a waste.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:51 PM
DeflatedFootball7

It just occurred to me that Ristolainen will probably have to stay overseas no matter what because of military service.

Closed Thread