HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Adam Oates Been Fired Yet????

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2013, 03:35 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
You bring up examples of other coaches failing to make adjustments, but not scratching Wideman and Schultz or cutting their ice time or doing SOMETHING might have been the most destructive piece of coaching I've ever seen.
Right, I do not want Oates to be stubborn or afraid to make adjustments. We don't want to hurt Wideman's feelings, right? Crush his confidence by demoting him to PP2. Crush them! The strong come back stronger, not wilt as many here imply.

With Bruce, it was his Flash love. He finally caved for game 7, but by then, it was little too late. I don't care if it was Walker's last game. He was shot out of a cannon in that first period and our 4th line was our best that period.

Sometimes doing nothing, is worse than trying something new. Like staying in a bad relationship. Sometimes its easier to just suck it up even though you know its not the right thing.

While I am happy with Oates's lineup its not flat our dominating and embarrassing the Rangers, and thus its not above him seeking to improve upon it.

We could easily be down 2-1 in this series.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Right, I do not want Oates to be stubborn or afraid to make adjustments. We don't want to hurt Wideman's feelings, right? Crush his confidence by demoting him to PP2. Crush them! The strong come back stronger, not wilt as many here imply.

With Bruce, it was his Flash love. He finally caved for game 7, but by then, it was little too late. I don't care if it was Walker's last game. He was shot out of a cannon in that first period and our 4th line was our best that period.

Sometimes doing nothing, is worse than trying something new. Like staying in a bad relationship. Sometimes its easier to just suck it up even though you know its not the right thing.

While I am happy with Oates's lineup its not flat our dominating and embarrassing the Rangers, and thus its not above him seeking to improve upon it.

Easy enough question... what changes do you want to see? What might it be too late to do if Oates doesn't do it tomorrow?

Old
05-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:

Did you even read my post? It's like talking to a wall...yes, sometimes doing something is better than nothing. Throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks isn't a legitimate "something." If Oates has a specific reason to make a change to the lines, he should do it. Adjustments for the hell of it are not real adjustments.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:10 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

RH has the armchair coach version of the yips.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:19 PM
txpd

rh, how about this thought? the caps have lost their 3rd game in the last 16. 2nd of 15(2nd of 14 if you dont count the win in the meaningless game) if you dont count the loss to ottawa in a meaningless game. the result of that is making lineup changes? lose one game and you get benched or demoted or something.

is that really the message you want to send? this is not exactly a team that is struggling.

edit: add egos. ego is confidence. right this minute mike green has it flowing in him like a river. erskine doesnt have it at least when he has the puck. for a bad game would you damage green's confidence or worsen erskine's? oh...and how would you feel if the change oates makes is erskine?

Old
05-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

I said it earlier in the Ward vs. Patti discussion, but good is the enemy of great. The Caps are doing well, but maybe the Randman sees something that can be improved upon. We all know about the past failures of Caps' coaches to adjust in the playoffs. It's not completely absurd to see if there is room for improvement. Act, not react.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
I said it earlier in the Ward vs. Patti discussion, but good is the enemy of great. The Caps are doing well, but maybe the Randman sees something that can be improved upon. We all know about the past failures of Caps' coaches to adjust in the playoffs. It's not completely absurd to see if there is room for improvement. Act, not react.
The coaches failed to adjust. They didn't fail to juggle lines arbitrarily instead of adjusting, which is what Randy himself said he is proposing.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
The coaches failed to adjust. They didn't fail to juggle lines arbitrarily instead of adjusting, which is what Randy himself said he is proposing.
I never saw him say arbitrarily. I'd like to hear his explanation if he has one.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
I never saw him say arbitrarily. I'd like to hear his explanation if he has one.
"To try something new." That's his reasoning. Arbitrary.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:13 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Quote:
Did you even read my post? It's like talking to a wall...yes, sometimes doing something is better than nothing. Throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks isn't a legitimate "something." If Oates has a specific reason to make a change to the lines, he should do it. Adjustments for the hell of it are not real adjustments.
actually no, yip was super busy today and skipped a bunch of posts. And probably will skip more based on reading your post alone.

A specific reason to do it - yip yes. Not blindly change for the sake of change. If he sees no faults at all with his team, or sees no possible way to make our team better, in Oates we trust. Somehow, I doubt he sees "no way" to improve our team. Would it knowingly fail to throw a curve at Torts, who is shuffling his lineup early and often it seems, with success.

I support anything AO2 dares to try. Its only hockey, its not that risky to swap 2 scoring wingers. Dont over think it. It just isn't. We have a system.

How many years do we want to go before we try our new scoring LW with Ovi? Never, or only if MJ stumbles? MJ was on almost all 4 lines / all 3 positions last year and did fine. He does not need to be nurtured. Look what happened to Sarge.

@Stewie, swap MJ for Erat, or Fehr for Ward, for a few shifts, or in the 3rd if we are losing / lost. If one plays better than the other and the lines can't score, go for it. We risk losing our series lead, and are close to coin flips deciding games as it is. Players put together have been creating instant offense since the beginning of hockey. But not, if its never tried. Show it in practice to the tweetbirds if you are NEVER going to change. Make Torts think you will - why not.

Excuse me, I have the yippups.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-07-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old
05-07-2013, 05:15 PM
txpd

Quote:
there is a difference between may do something and must do something. if oates thinks volpatti brings something he wants and he want to scratch hendricks or ward or fehr, i can see that.

i think my point is that oates doesnt have to do something if he doesnt feel the need.
he could have done that after a win as well. my view is that he wants ward more than volpatti. for instance ward was out at the end. volpatti would not have been.
by the end of the game oates would have seen nearly two full games of ward and you would think if he was disappointed in his play enough to scratch him for the next game that he wouldnt have used him then.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
actually no, yip was super busy today and skipped a bunch of posts. And probably will skip more based on reading your post alone.

A specific reason to do it - yip yes. Not blindly change for the sake of change. If he sees no faults at all with his team, or sees no possible way to make our team better, in Oates we trust. Somehow, I doubt he sees "no way" to improve our team. Would it knowingly fail to throw a curve at Torts, who is shuffling his lineup early and often it seems, with success.

I support anything AO2 dares to try. Its only hockey, its not that risky to swap 2 scoring wingers. Dont over think it. It just isn't. We have a system.

How many years do we want to go before we try our new scoring LW with Ovi? Never, or only if MJ stumbles? MJ was on almost all 4 lines / all 3 positions last year and did fine. He does not need to be nurtured. Look what happened to Sarge.

@Stewie, swap MJ for Erat, or Fehr for Ward, for a few shifts, or in the 3rd if we are losing / lost. If one plays better than the other and the lines can't score, go for it. We risk losing our series lead, and are close to coin flips deciding games as it is. Players put together have been creating instant offense since the beginning of hockey. But not, if its never tried. Show it in practice to the tweetbirds if you are NEVER going to change. Make Torts think you will - why not.

You are basing all of this on the flawed assumption that adjustments can only be made from line shuffling. Oates has already proven he can successfully make adjustments while keeping the lines together.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
You are basing all of this on the flawed assumption that adjustments can only be made from line shuffling. Oates has already proven he can successfully make adjustments while keeping the lines together.
Brah, real coaches track game-by-game #SWAG/60 and adjust their lines accordingly. Oates is a noob and probably uses the inaccurate NHL.com #SWAG/60 stats.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:31 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Old
05-07-2013, 09:37 PM
capitalsrock

Old
05-08-2013, 07:11 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:

That's what I was looking for. I don't know why everyone felt they had to answer for you.

I don't think people would mind switching players between lines during the game, depending on what is working and what isn't. I think the pushback you're getting is from the people that feel like all 4 lines are doing well, expect for Fehr and his 0 points. #1pointinlast8

Old
05-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
That's what I was looking for. I don't know why everyone felt they had to answer for you.

I don't think people would mind switching players between lines during the game, depending on what is working and what isn't. I think the pushback you're getting is from the people that feel like all 4 lines are doing well, expect for Fehr and his 0 points. #1pointinlast8
That post only proved my view of his reasoning to be right. If you don't think Fehr has been good, you should be on board-wide ignore. Sorry if that's mean-spirited of me to say.

Old
05-08-2013, 11:21 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
That post only proved my view of his reasoning to be right. If you don't think Fehr has been good, you should be on board-wide ignore. Sorry if that's mean-spirited of me to say.
Points mean everything to him obviously.

Old
05-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
It was a sarcastic reference to the discussion regarding the use of points in player evaluation. The score sheet doesn't always tell you how well or how poorly a guy is playing.

Old
05-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrouse View Post
points mean everything to him obviously.
moar pointz = moor betterer

edit: what happened to my caps lock?

Old
05-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
moar pointz = moor betterer

edit: what happened to my caps lock?
You have to have at least one lower-case letter in the post, I think. It's to avoid people typing in all caps all the time, but it's a dumb rule. #trynastopmyswag #cantstopmyswag #SWAG

Old
05-09-2013, 01:21 AM
Halpysback*

Fehr has Eratitis. He 'looks' good but all of the good looking plays also don't amount to anything and look like they will continue to not amount to anything.

If Erat is out and Laich isn't ready

Johansson Backstrom Ovechkin
Chimera Ribeiro Brouwer
Fehr Perreault Ward
Volpatti Beagle Hendricks

If either Laich or Erat can play Volpatti in for Fehr may help. He doesn't fit on the 4th line and Ward is a better 3RW option.

Or maybe

Erat-Backstrom-Fehr

The 'good-looking' line

And holy **** does the PP need work. Ovechkin at the left point rather than the half wall, Brouwer in Ovechkin's spot, Backstrom in Ribeiro's spot and Ribeiro in front of the net. Ranger either stay with the box and give Ovechkin and Green lanes to wind up or pressure the points which opens Ribeiro, Backstrom and Brouwer down low. Brouwer in good position to crash the net, Ribeiro's tendency to spend 30 seconds thinking up a pass is nipped in the bud while his shiftiness in getting to pucks is maximized in front of the net. Don't need a particularly good screener since the Rangers are doing the screening for us, Ribeiro should be sufficient with Brouwer crashing for rebounds from the left. PP rotates clockwise so as not to be static.

Last edited by Halpysback*: 05-09-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old
05-09-2013, 01:25 AM
Bananas

I guess we're gonna see if thread title

Old
05-09-2013, 06:45 AM
txpd

just on the subject at hand here, wardo was big last night. saw a whyno tweet saying he was having "a monster game"

@halpy, your pp comments. cant move ov from the half wall to the left point. he is in fact the left point player. caps play a 1-3-1 scheme on the pp. green is really the only pp player but the two half wall players have coverage as he slides to the middle.

do you think the caps should abandon their basic playoff system and do something entirely new?

Last edited by txpd: 05-09-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old
05-09-2013, 07:05 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
just on the subject at hand here, wardo was big last night. saw a whyno tweet saying he was having "a monster game"

@halpy, your pp comments. cant move ov from the half wall to the left point. he is in fact the left point player. caps play a 1-3-1 scheme on the pp. green is really the only pp player but the two half wall players have coverage as he slides to the middle.

do you think the caps should abandon their basic playoff system and do something entirely new?
I wouldn't mind seeing them add a wrinkle or two to the PP. It was ugly last night. Looks like the Rangers have adapted. Time to see some maneuvering.

Closed Thread