HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Adam Oates Been Fired Yet????

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2013, 03:35 PM
  #201
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 26,496
vCash: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
You bring up examples of other coaches failing to make adjustments, but not scratching Wideman and Schultz or cutting their ice time or doing SOMETHING might have been the most destructive piece of coaching I've ever seen.
Right, I do not want Oates to be stubborn or afraid to make adjustments. We don't want to hurt Wideman's feelings, right? Crush his confidence by demoting him to PP2. Crush them! The strong come back stronger, not wilt as many here imply.

With Bruce, it was his Flash love. He finally caved for game 7, but by then, it was little too late. I don't care if it was Walker's last game. He was shot out of a cannon in that first period and our 4th line was our best that period.

Sometimes doing nothing, is worse than trying something new. Like staying in a bad relationship. Sometimes its easier to just suck it up even though you know its not the right thing.

While I am happy with Oates's lineup its not flat our dominating and embarrassing the Rangers, and thus its not above him seeking to improve upon it.

We could easily be down 2-1 in this series.

RandyHolt is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 04:03 PM
  #202
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Right, I do not want Oates to be stubborn or afraid to make adjustments. We don't want to hurt Wideman's feelings, right? Crush his confidence by demoting him to PP2. Crush them! The strong come back stronger, not wilt as many here imply.

With Bruce, it was his Flash love. He finally caved for game 7, but by then, it was little too late. I don't care if it was Walker's last game. He was shot out of a cannon in that first period and our 4th line was our best that period.

Sometimes doing nothing, is worse than trying something new. Like staying in a bad relationship. Sometimes its easier to just suck it up even though you know its not the right thing.

While I am happy with Oates's lineup its not flat our dominating and embarrassing the Rangers, and thus its not above him seeking to improve upon it.

We could easily be down 2-1 in this series.
Easy enough question... what changes do you want to see? What might it be too late to do if Oates doesn't do it tomorrow?

Stewie G is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 04:08 PM
  #203
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Sometimes doing nothing, is worse than trying something new. Like staying in a bad relationship. Sometimes its easier to just suck it up even though you know its not the right thing.

While I am happy with Oates's lineup its not flat our dominating and embarrassing the Rangers, and thus its not above him seeking to improve upon it.

We could easily be down 2-1 in this series.
Did you even read my post? It's like talking to a wall...yes, sometimes doing something is better than nothing. Throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks isn't a legitimate "something." If Oates has a specific reason to make a change to the lines, he should do it. Adjustments for the hell of it are not real adjustments.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 04:10 PM
  #204
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,331
vCash: 500
RH has the armchair coach version of the yips.

ChibiPooky is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 04:19 PM
  #205
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,056
vCash: 500
rh, how about this thought? the caps have lost their 3rd game in the last 16. 2nd of 15(2nd of 14 if you dont count the win in the meaningless game) if you dont count the loss to ottawa in a meaningless game. the result of that is making lineup changes? lose one game and you get benched or demoted or something.

is that really the message you want to send? this is not exactly a team that is struggling.

edit: add egos. ego is confidence. right this minute mike green has it flowing in him like a river. erskine doesnt have it at least when he has the puck. for a bad game would you damage green's confidence or worsen erskine's? oh...and how would you feel if the change oates makes is erskine?

txpd is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 04:26 PM
  #206
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,615
vCash: 500
I said it earlier in the Ward vs. Patti discussion, but good is the enemy of great. The Caps are doing well, but maybe the Randman sees something that can be improved upon. We all know about the past failures of Caps' coaches to adjust in the playoffs. It's not completely absurd to see if there is room for improvement. Act, not react.

Stewie G is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 04:28 PM
  #207
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I said it earlier in the Ward vs. Patti discussion, but good is the enemy of great. The Caps are doing well, but maybe the Randman sees something that can be improved upon. We all know about the past failures of Caps' coaches to adjust in the playoffs. It's not completely absurd to see if there is room for improvement. Act, not react.
The coaches failed to adjust. They didn't fail to juggle lines arbitrarily instead of adjusting, which is what Randy himself said he is proposing.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 04:46 PM
  #208
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
The coaches failed to adjust. They didn't fail to juggle lines arbitrarily instead of adjusting, which is what Randy himself said he is proposing.
I never saw him say arbitrarily. I'd like to hear his explanation if he has one.

Stewie G is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 04:46 PM
  #209
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I never saw him say arbitrarily. I'd like to hear his explanation if he has one.
"To try something new." That's his reasoning. Arbitrary.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 05:13 PM
  #210
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 26,496
vCash: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Did you even read my post? It's like talking to a wall...yes, sometimes doing something is better than nothing. Throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks isn't a legitimate "something." If Oates has a specific reason to make a change to the lines, he should do it. Adjustments for the hell of it are not real adjustments.
actually no, yip was super busy today and skipped a bunch of posts. And probably will skip more based on reading your post alone.

A specific reason to do it - yip yes. Not blindly change for the sake of change. If he sees no faults at all with his team, or sees no possible way to make our team better, in Oates we trust. Somehow, I doubt he sees "no way" to improve our team. Would it knowingly fail to throw a curve at Torts, who is shuffling his lineup early and often it seems, with success.

I support anything AO2 dares to try. Its only hockey, its not that risky to swap 2 scoring wingers. Dont over think it. It just isn't. We have a system.

How many years do we want to go before we try our new scoring LW with Ovi? Never, or only if MJ stumbles? MJ was on almost all 4 lines / all 3 positions last year and did fine. He does not need to be nurtured. Look what happened to Sarge.

@Stewie, swap MJ for Erat, or Fehr for Ward, for a few shifts, or in the 3rd if we are losing / lost. If one plays better than the other and the lines can't score, go for it. We risk losing our series lead, and are close to coin flips deciding games as it is. Players put together have been creating instant offense since the beginning of hockey. But not, if its never tried. Show it in practice to the tweetbirds if you are NEVER going to change. Make Torts think you will - why not.

Excuse me, I have the yippups.


Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-07-2013 at 05:37 PM.
RandyHolt is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 05:15 PM
  #211
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I said it earlier in the Ward vs. Patti discussion, but good is the enemy of great. The Caps are doing well, but maybe the Randman sees something that can be improved upon. We all know about the past failures of Caps' coaches to adjust in the playoffs. It's not completely absurd to see if there is room for improvement. Act, not react.
there is a difference between may do something and must do something. if oates thinks volpatti brings something he wants and he want to scratch hendricks or ward or fehr, i can see that.

i think my point is that oates doesnt have to do something if he doesnt feel the need.
he could have done that after a win as well. my view is that he wants ward more than volpatti. for instance ward was out at the end. volpatti would not have been.
by the end of the game oates would have seen nearly two full games of ward and you would think if he was disappointed in his play enough to scratch him for the next game that he wouldnt have used him then.

txpd is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 06:14 PM
  #212
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
actually no, yip was super busy today and skipped a bunch of posts. And probably will skip more based on reading your post alone.

A specific reason to do it - yip yes. Not blindly change for the sake of change. If he sees no faults at all with his team, or sees no possible way to make our team better, in Oates we trust. Somehow, I doubt he sees "no way" to improve our team. Would it knowingly fail to throw a curve at Torts, who is shuffling his lineup early and often it seems, with success.

I support anything AO2 dares to try. Its only hockey, its not that risky to swap 2 scoring wingers. Dont over think it. It just isn't. We have a system.

How many years do we want to go before we try our new scoring LW with Ovi? Never, or only if MJ stumbles? MJ was on almost all 4 lines / all 3 positions last year and did fine. He does not need to be nurtured. Look what happened to Sarge.

@Stewie, swap MJ for Erat, or Fehr for Ward, for a few shifts, or in the 3rd if we are losing / lost. If one plays better than the other and the lines can't score, go for it. We risk losing our series lead, and are close to coin flips deciding games as it is. Players put together have been creating instant offense since the beginning of hockey. But not, if its never tried. Show it in practice to the tweetbirds if you are NEVER going to change. Make Torts think you will - why not.

Excuse me, I have the yippups.
You are basing all of this on the flawed assumption that adjustments can only be made from line shuffling. Oates has already proven he can successfully make adjustments while keeping the lines together.

Brad Tolliver is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 06:21 PM
  #213
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
You are basing all of this on the flawed assumption that adjustments can only be made from line shuffling. Oates has already proven he can successfully make adjustments while keeping the lines together.
Brah, real coaches track game-by-game #SWAG/60 and adjust their lines accordingly. Oates is a noob and probably uses the inaccurate NHL.com #SWAG/60 stats.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 06:31 PM
  #214
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 26,496
vCash: 2714




RandyHolt is offline  
Old
05-07-2013, 09:37 PM
  #215
capitalsrock
Registered User
 
capitalsrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 2,247
vCash: 500

capitalsrock is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:11 AM
  #216
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
actually no, yip was super busy today and skipped a bunch of posts. And probably will skip more based on reading your post alone.

A specific reason to do it - yip yes. Not blindly change for the sake of change. If he sees no faults at all with his team, or sees no possible way to make our team better, in Oates we trust. Somehow, I doubt he sees "no way" to improve our team. Would it knowingly fail to throw a curve at Torts, who is shuffling his lineup early and often it seems, with success.

I support anything AO2 dares to try. Its only hockey, its not that risky to swap 2 scoring wingers. Dont over think it. It just isn't. We have a system.

How many years do we want to go before we try our new scoring LW with Ovi? Never, or only if MJ stumbles? MJ was on almost all 4 lines / all 3 positions last year and did fine. He does not need to be nurtured. Look what happened to Sarge.

@Stewie, swap MJ for Erat, or Fehr for Ward, for a few shifts, or in the 3rd if we are losing / lost. If one plays better than the other and the lines can't score, go for it. We risk losing our series lead, and are close to coin flips deciding games as it is. Players put together have been creating instant offense since the beginning of hockey. But not, if its never tried. Show it in practice to the tweetbirds if you are NEVER going to change. Make Torts think you will - why not.

Excuse me, I have the yippups.
That's what I was looking for. I don't know why everyone felt they had to answer for you.

I don't think people would mind switching players between lines during the game, depending on what is working and what isn't. I think the pushback you're getting is from the people that feel like all 4 lines are doing well, expect for Fehr and his 0 points. #1pointinlast8

Stewie G is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 11:17 AM
  #217
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
That's what I was looking for. I don't know why everyone felt they had to answer for you.

I don't think people would mind switching players between lines during the game, depending on what is working and what isn't. I think the pushback you're getting is from the people that feel like all 4 lines are doing well, expect for Fehr and his 0 points. #1pointinlast8
That post only proved my view of his reasoning to be right. If you don't think Fehr has been good, you should be on board-wide ignore. Sorry if that's mean-spirited of me to say.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 11:21 AM
  #218
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
That post only proved my view of his reasoning to be right. If you don't think Fehr has been good, you should be on board-wide ignore. Sorry if that's mean-spirited of me to say.
Points mean everything to him obviously.

BobRouse is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 11:25 AM
  #219
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
That post only proved my view of his reasoning to be right. If you don't think Fehr has been good, you should be on board-wide ignore. Sorry if that's mean-spirited of me to say.
It was a sarcastic reference to the discussion regarding the use of points in player evaluation. The score sheet doesn't always tell you how well or how poorly a guy is playing.

Stewie G is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 11:26 AM
  #220
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrouse View Post
points mean everything to him obviously.
moar pointz = moor betterer

edit: what happened to my caps lock?

Stewie G is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 11:39 AM
  #221
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
moar pointz = moor betterer

edit: what happened to my caps lock?
You have to have at least one lower-case letter in the post, I think. It's to avoid people typing in all caps all the time, but it's a dumb rule. #trynastopmyswag #cantstopmyswag #SWAG

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 01:21 AM
  #222
Halpysback*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,927
vCash: 500
Fehr has Eratitis. He 'looks' good but all of the good looking plays also don't amount to anything and look like they will continue to not amount to anything.

If Erat is out and Laich isn't ready

Johansson Backstrom Ovechkin
Chimera Ribeiro Brouwer
Fehr Perreault Ward
Volpatti Beagle Hendricks

If either Laich or Erat can play Volpatti in for Fehr may help. He doesn't fit on the 4th line and Ward is a better 3RW option.

Or maybe

Erat-Backstrom-Fehr

The 'good-looking' line

And holy **** does the PP need work. Ovechkin at the left point rather than the half wall, Brouwer in Ovechkin's spot, Backstrom in Ribeiro's spot and Ribeiro in front of the net. Ranger either stay with the box and give Ovechkin and Green lanes to wind up or pressure the points which opens Ribeiro, Backstrom and Brouwer down low. Brouwer in good position to crash the net, Ribeiro's tendency to spend 30 seconds thinking up a pass is nipped in the bud while his shiftiness in getting to pucks is maximized in front of the net. Don't need a particularly good screener since the Rangers are doing the screening for us, Ribeiro should be sufficient with Brouwer crashing for rebounds from the left. PP rotates clockwise so as not to be static.


Last edited by Halpysback*: 05-09-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Halpysback* is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 01:25 AM
  #223
Bananas
****
 
Bananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,678
vCash: 500
I guess we're gonna see if thread title

Bananas is online now  
Old
05-09-2013, 06:45 AM
  #224
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,056
vCash: 500
just on the subject at hand here, wardo was big last night. saw a whyno tweet saying he was having "a monster game"

@halpy, your pp comments. cant move ov from the half wall to the left point. he is in fact the left point player. caps play a 1-3-1 scheme on the pp. green is really the only pp player but the two half wall players have coverage as he slides to the middle.

do you think the caps should abandon their basic playoff system and do something entirely new?


Last edited by txpd: 05-09-2013 at 06:50 AM.
txpd is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 07:05 AM
  #225
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
just on the subject at hand here, wardo was big last night. saw a whyno tweet saying he was having "a monster game"

@halpy, your pp comments. cant move ov from the half wall to the left point. he is in fact the left point player. caps play a 1-3-1 scheme on the pp. green is really the only pp player but the two half wall players have coverage as he slides to the middle.

do you think the caps should abandon their basic playoff system and do something entirely new?
I wouldn't mind seeing them add a wrinkle or two to the PP. It was ugly last night. Looks like the Rangers have adapted. Time to see some maneuvering.

Stewie G is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.