HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ottawa Senators eliminate Montreal Canadiens in 5 games

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2013, 09:05 AM
  #51
hockeyalltheway
Moderator
Get well soon, GMBM.
 
hockeyalltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 611
Cripes. If Therrien hadn't mentioned it in the post-game, dollars to donuts that no fan would have noticed or cared.

__________________
hockeyalltheway is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:06 AM
  #52
hockeyalltheway
Moderator
Get well soon, GMBM.
 
hockeyalltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
FACT: Desharnais was thrown out of the faceoff, AGAIN (i think in this series, he's got to have been thrown out at least 20 times). Was it a PERFECTLY winnable face-off, highly unlikely given Gallagher was the man to take the draw second-go around.
It's hardly Ottawa's fault -- or even the ref's fault -- that your centre can't follow the rules. And if it was such an important face-off and Desharnais has been so useless at the dot, you have to wonder why Therrien even sent him out.

hockeyalltheway is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:07 AM
  #53
IceDaddy
24 and Counting
 
IceDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you're nbot old enough to use that tone.
Unfortunately I am.

IceDaddy is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:07 AM
  #54
GinoCyber*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
If there were to apologize it wouldn't be public information

Also the ref pointed to the left (to Price's right) circle as soon as play stopped so the real problem, even though the faceoff should have been in the other circle, was that Therrien wasn't paying attention
Thanks. That's what I figured would happen if it did happen. I personally think that Bergevin wanted an explanation about the 1st goal, not the faceoffs and icing calls.

GinoCyber* is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:08 AM
  #55
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
If there were to apologize it wouldn't be public information

Also the ref pointed to the left (to Price's right) circle as soon as play stopped so the real problem, even though the faceoff should have been in the other circle, was that Therrien wasn't paying attention
Therrien watched the play before. Shot comes from Alfredsson on the left of Price (top of the circle I believe) and Price makes the save on the left side of the net.\

Therrien thinks it's the faceoff is to Price's left, looks down at his bench, sounds out his best left-handed faceoff centre on the bench, and probably missed the linesman's mistake in making the faceoff to the right of Price.

dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:08 AM
  #56
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieOfGames View Post
Small details counts alot, specialy on a tight game. Some players are better to do the faceoff at one side of the ice, thats a fact too.
anyone who played competitive sport will tell you: it's ALL about details.

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:09 AM
  #57
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
Unfortunately I am.
you're 70+ ?

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:10 AM
  #58
Legend Killer
Registered User
 
Legend Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,478
vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
FACT: Desharnais was thrown out of the faceoff, AGAIN (i think in this series, he's got to have been thrown out at least 20 times). Was it a PERFECTLY winnable face-off, highly unlikely given Gallagher was the man to take the draw second-go around.
So its somebody elses fault that were werent 2 capable centers on the ice? Common practice if your main faceoff guy has been thrown out at least 20 times?

Thats not the coaches fault at all.

Legend Killer is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:10 AM
  #59
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
It's hardly Ottawa's fault -- or even the ref's fault -- that your centre can't follow the rules. And if it was such an important face-off and Desharnais has been so useless at the dot, you have to wonder why Therrien even sent him out.
If you have followed any of the playoff games this year, you listen to Grapes and other hockey analysts, you'll realize that the "failed refs" aka the linesmen, have decided to make a sideshow out of throwing people out of the faceoff circle. I am allowed to comment about this clearly visible issue going on in this first round of the playoffs. Desharnais in general throughout the season has been okay or good in the faceoff circle. You judge him with quite a small sample size...plus he gets thrown out probably half the faceoffs he's on the ice for.


Last edited by dmanfish90: 05-09-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: grammar
dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:11 AM
  #60
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
So its somebody elses fault that were werent 2 capable centers on the ice? Common practice if your main faceoff guy has been thrown out at least 20 times?

Thats not the coaches fault at all.
linesmen made a mistake, and now suddenly MT's fault ?

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:11 AM
  #61
4ORRBRUIN
Registered User
 
4ORRBRUIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieOfGames View Post
Apology wel deserved tought. Must be dumb to not admit it. The fact faceoff wasnt the right side totally screwed the players on the ice, that were on the ice because they were better to handle faceoffs to the opposite side. No it simply led to a goal, and a game won by sens (well that and many other things).

I dont make excuses on that, we lost because Sens played better on the 3rd period. But at least dont minimize the refree mistakes there, it was obviously a important point.
Please stop with oh poor us routine, the refs screw EVERY team in EVERY game that lead to goals. How many gift PP's do teams get and end scoring on them.

4ORRBRUIN is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:12 AM
  #62
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
So its somebody elses fault that were werent 2 capable centers on the ice? Common practice if your main faceoff guy has been thrown out at least 20 times?

Thats not the coaches fault at all.
So Ottawa dresses 8 centres on their 12 forwards or puts two centres on the ice for each faceoff too?

That argument is invalid. Desharnais is a good faceoff centreman and is being abused by the "failed refs" because they wanna make a sideshow out of throwing people out of the faceoff. Every analyst would probably agree with me on that point...

dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:12 AM
  #63
Micklebot
Registered User
 
Micklebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
can you think of such a minor incident the league felt the need to aknowledge or apologize for the mistake ?
I'm sure it happens all the time, its just not generally made public. This wasn't a public apology either, just something RDS reported. There is nothing to confirm it actually happened, no public statement by the commissioner, or anybody. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that the NHL didn't come out and apologize to fans or anything of the sort, they just said yep, wrong side of the ice, sorry. They certainly didn't say yeah Mtl got jobbed an we stole a game from them.

Micklebot is online now  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:12 AM
  #64
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
Please stop with oh poor us routine, the refs screw EVERY team in EVERY game that lead to goals. How many gift PP's do teams get and end scoring on them.
linesmen/ref made a mistake on pretty much every Sens goal... in a one goal playoff game.

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:15 AM
  #65
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
I'm sure it happens all the time, its just not generally made public. This wasn't a public apology either, just something RDS reported. There is nothing to confirm it actually happened, no public statement by the commissioner, or anybody. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that the NHL didn't come out and apologize to fans or anything of the sort, they just said yep, wrong side of the ice, sorry. They certainly didn't say yeah Mtl got jobbed an we stole a game from them.
Say what you want, but there was a goal scored on that faceoff, in a one goal game. and that's just one of the few mistakes refs/linesmen made that led to a Sens goal.

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:15 AM
  #66
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.
 
Penny Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa > Wisconsin.
Country: United States
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 500
The league wants the super popular Sens to win. Sorry.

Penny Lane is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:15 AM
  #67
Dagwood
Registered User
 
Dagwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
I find on Cherry favors whatever team gets the most Tv ratings and thus take his rants with a grain of salt and a few shots of Rye.

Dagwood is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:16 AM
  #68
hockeyalltheway
Moderator
Get well soon, GMBM.
 
hockeyalltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
If you have follow any of the playoff games this year, you listen to Grapes and other hockey analysts, you'll realize that the "failed refs" aka the linesmen, have decided to make a sideshow out of throwing people out of the faceoff. I am allowed to comment about this clearly visible issue going on in this first round of the playoffs. Desharnais in general throughout the season has been okay or good in the faceoff circle. You judge him with quite a small sample size...plus he gets thrown out probably half the faceoffs he's on the ice for.
Not a fan of Grapes, but I agree with this. The "fake-out" drops are getting ridiculous.

Still, though. One guy getting kicked out as regularly as Desharnais? Either linesmen across the board dislike him, or there's some truth to the fact that he's cheating on face-offs.

hockeyalltheway is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:16 AM
  #69
Micklebot
Registered User
 
Micklebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
So Ottawa dresses 8 centres on their 12 forwards or puts two centres on the ice for each faceoff too?

That argument is invalid. Desharnais is a good faceoff centreman and is being abused by the "failed refs" because they wanna make a sideshow out of throwing people out of the faceoff. Every analyst would probably agree with me on that point...
Well they had 2 centers on the ice on that play. Was Desharnais thrown out without merit? regrettably I can't find a highlight of the initial faceoff.

Micklebot is online now  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:16 AM
  #70
Legend Killer
Registered User
 
Legend Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,478
vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
linesmen made a mistake, and now suddenly MT's fault ?
Alot of teams put out 2 centers for key defensive draws. WE ALL KNOW THE LINESMAN MADE A MISTAKE. That didnt mean the Sens automatically got a goal. There was still a faceoff. Which MTL's only center was thrown out of. Gallagher lost a faceoff and the puck was in the net 5 seconds later. One of your fans just said Desharnais has been thrown out of at least 20 faceoffs... Should the team not have been prepared for that no matter where the faceoff was?

Id say yes, they should have been.

Legend Killer is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:17 AM
  #71
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Middle of nowhere
Country: United States
Posts: 1,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
linesmen made a mistake, and now suddenly MT's fault ?
Lol, I've got to love how you think it's not Montreal's fault they couldn't win the faceoff or get the puck out of their end. No accountability.

kovatroll* is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:18 AM
  #72
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Alot of teams put out 2 centers for key defensive draws. WE ALL KNOW THE LINESMAN MADE A MISTAKE. That didnt mean the Sens automatically got a goal. There was still a faceoff. Which MTL's only center was thrown out of. Gallagher lost a faceoff and the puck was in the net 5 seconds later. One of your fans just said Desharnais has been thrown out of at least 20 faceoffs... Should the team not have been prepared for that no matter where the faceoff was?

Id say yes, they should have been.
Nope it doesnt, bue fact remains, on pretty much every goal scored by the Sens there's a mistake made by the "league" (aka, refs, linesmen).

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:19 AM
  #73
GinoCyber*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Alot of teams put out 2 centers for key defensive draws. WE ALL KNOW THE LINESMAN MADE A MISTAKE. That didnt mean the Sens automatically got a goal. There was still a faceoff. Which MTL's only center was thrown out of. Gallagher lost a faceoff and the puck was in the net 5 seconds later. One of your fans just said Desharnais has been thrown out of at least 20 faceoffs... Should the team not have been prepared for that no matter where the faceoff was?

Id say yes, they should have been.
This.

Why MT didn't put out Pleky or Halpern with Deharnais at that crucial moment is beyond me, ESPECIALLY when Deharnais was getting kicked out of the center all game long.

GinoCyber* is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:20 AM
  #74
Rev2k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Grossie View Post
The league wants the super popular Sens to win. Sorry.
Probably sick of getting floods of angry e-mails from all the keyboard warriors here and phone calls from a teary eyed Therrien after every game. I'd want 'em out too.

Rev2k is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 09:21 AM
  #75
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.
 
Penny Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa > Wisconsin.
Country: United States
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2k View Post
Probably sick of getting floods of angry e-mails from all the keyboard warriors here and phone calls from a teary eyed Therrien after every game. I'd want 'em out too.
Like I said, the league remembers how amazing the ratings were for Anaheim/Ottawa in the SC finals ... why WOULDN'T they want a repeat of that? Sens must win at all costs. Make it happen, zebras!

Penny Lane is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.