HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First captain in the new jerseys?

View Poll Results: New Captain of your DALLAS STARS IS...
Jamie Benn 21 42.00%
Stephane Robidas 5 10.00%
Trevor Daley 11 22.00%
Loui Eriksson 3 6.00%
Ray Whitney 10 20.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Caseman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I think that, given the options available, he's the best fit going into next season.

I don't think Benn is ready yet. Maybe the plan is to give Benn the C eventually, maybe that happens next month, who knows.

But I feel Daley would serve just fine as this team's captain. He's tops on the list of tenured Stars, I believe, and just because he's never worn a letter in Dallas, I don't think that negates any leadership qualities that he has.
Yes, my thoughts exactly. Daley or Whitney would be fine. As much as I want Benn to wear the C, he isn't the most outspoken and his work ethic isn't quite up there it seems.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Nullus Reverentia

They did this poll on the main board sometime after Morrow was traded and the overwhelming answer was Eriksson. Not a single person here voted for him (yet). Now that doesn't surprise me, but it shows how little the main board knows about Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
For the people who voted for Daley, can you explain your pick a little? How has someone who has never worn the 'A' in his long career in Dallas all of a sudden going to be the Captain?
He's a hard worker. He's got captain experience. He's a veteran. It's very likely he spends the rest of his career in Dallas.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Bluesoma

I don't think Dillon is "C" material. "A" maybe. Sure, he sticks up for teammates and plays hard but I think he's made some non-leadership type decisions. Could he change and become captain like? Maybe, sure. I look back to when Dillon was in CP and honestly thought the same thing. He probably had a chance to take leadership down here but I didn't see it.

Benn should stay an A still. He's maturing but still has some way to go I think.

One name that would surprise me in the next couple of years: Chiasson. When the lockout ended he basically took over the Texas Stars and I see it during the playoffs too.

I agree with the others, next year will probably stay with three A's. I think it depends on the new coach and who steps up in the offseason.

Bluesoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 01:23 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
They did this poll on the main board sometime after Morrow was traded and the overwhelming answer was Eriksson. Not a single person here voted for him (yet). Now that doesn't surprise me, but it shows how little the main board knows about Dallas.
Well there's your first Eriksson vote. I've been a supporter of Loui for captain for quite a while, just didn't bother to vote in the millionth version of this topic.

And a lot of the time the main board tends to be wiser about the Stars than a lot of Stars fans...

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I personally believe Whitney will get it, with whoever becomes the best day to day professional of the under 24 crowd next year.

Which I hope is either Chiasson or Dillon.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 01:54 PM
ColeJ

Jagr. Make it happen, Nilly.

ColeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 03:41 PM
UpGoesRupp

I'm in the same boat wanting Benn to wear the C. He does play with a lot of fire but needs to make it consistent.

I'm surprised at the Dillon votes as I thought he'd be fit to wear and A and stabilize the future of the defence as he'd a bit older and more experienced then guys like Morrow and Oleksiak but young enough to relate and be a personable role model.

I'm also surprised at the lacks of votes for Loui. I think ultimately he'll have an A for the rest of his career here. He just doesn't seem to have some of the captain qualities. I mean, he's a great two way player,can score,plays responsible, leads by example but seems to lack that something special that you hope for in a captain.

Either way it goes I think it should be established that the forward group is Benns and that the D group will be Dillons. After this pole I'm a little less confident in who's team it'll be.

UpGoesRupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Anytime somebody says they'd take Louie for captain I just picture Sedin getting punched in the face over and over. It'd be the same **** here.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 03:43 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Anytime somebody says they'd take Louie for captain I just picture Sedin getting punched in the face over and over. It'd be the same **** here.
What does Loui being Captain have to do with being punched in the face?

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Loui isn't really captain material. He's not imposing in any way whatsoever. That goes for physical, emotional, etc.

Old
05-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Eskimo Spy
Where's Bench?

Loui as captain does nothing for me.

I miss Hatcher...

Eskimo Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Bluesoma

Honestly, if the GM and coach (whoever it is) is going for a culture change like they want then I wouldn't be surprised if it's none listed above.

I see either giving it to a vet they bring in or one of the kids steps up in the offseason (Chiasson and Eakin come to mind.)

But I think both are unlikely for various reasons, thus...no C this next season and 3 A's

Old
05-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Timani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo Spy View Post
Loui as captain does nothing for me.

I miss Hatcher...
Me too.

Timani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:27 PM
BeaverSports

It's probably a little premature to name a captain given that Jim Nill and whomever the coach is are probably going to try to make a few moves and bring in some people who instill the culture they want. Though Nieuwendyk was working on culture change last year, it didn't sound like Nill was that confident in leaving the room exactly as is. It could come from outside.

I like Daley, he's been in Dallas a long time, he was a good captain in junior with Sault Ste. Marie from all accounts and he's come into his own more as a player in recent years. I could also live with Whitney until Nill gets his guys in place. One guy I'd look at is Eakin, someone who gives his all every game.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:58 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
And a lot of the time the main board tends to be wiser about the Stars than a lot of Stars fans...
Something about not seeing the forest for the trees.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:44 AM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Loui isn't really captain material. He's not imposing in any way whatsoever. That goes for physical, emotional, etc.
Well Joe Sakic wasn't exactly physically imposing either......he let his own aura do most of the work for him, I guess, and damn what a good job it did.

But it's not like he was known for throwing the body or making some highlight-reel hits.

05-09-2013, 12:51 AM
glovesave_35
Name

I don't understand the need for a captain to be a physical force.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:23 AM
CorwiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I don't understand the need for a captain to be a physical force.
I know that it's a common view to a lot of fans, but I think it's even more common to Stars fans. After the years of Hatcher and Morrow, interrupted by Modano being named/stripped of the captaincy, most Stars fans think that it's impossible to captain an NHL team without breaking a few jaws along the way.

I'd be totally cool with Loui wearing the C. Definitely more so than Benn or any of the too young/too recent addition choices like Dillon or Eakin.

CorwiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:36 AM
ColeJ

That's deal though... Sakic's aura was imposing. A good captain exudes confidence and has an aura. Loui doesn't. And I love Loui. Problem is, no one on the Stars is a Hatcher or a Sakic. Jagr was. But he didn't even want an A.

ColeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:04 AM
tjcurrie

As good a player as Loui is, like ColeJ said, he's just not captain material. Imposing doesn't have to mean you're a physical force, but you carry a certain cache. There's an aura about you, and a certain fear and respect from the other team. You have a certain "follow me boys" about you. Loui's just not that. He's Lehtinen's little brother. He's a behind the scenes type of guy.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Bluesoma

Loui to me is like a one of those corporal/sergeant archetypes from the old war movies. He's not the upfront lead them over the hill guys, he's the quiet steady guy, there when you need him to back you up, to be the extra factor to get you the win but always in the background.

That's why I see him with an A but not a C.

Right now the Stars need someone that has the can lead the charge. It doesn't matter if they're physical or not, it's all about that leadership aura and getting the guys behind him.

Basically....they need a Captain Winters dammit (yeah that's right...Band of Brothers reference).

Old
05-09-2013, 01:11 PM
FrailSwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesoma View Post
Loui to me is like a one of those corporal/sergeant archetypes from the old war movies. He's not the upfront lead them over the hill guys, he's the quiet steady guy, there when you need him to back you up, to be the extra factor to get you the win but always in the background.

That's why I see him with an A but not a C.

Right now the Stars need someone that has the can lead the charge. It doesn't matter if they're physical or not, it's all about that leadership aura and getting the guys behind him.

Basically....they need a Captain Winters dammit (yeah that's right...Band of Brothers reference).
We do have a redhead....

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Bluesoma

Hmmm...can Eakin pull off a Pennsylvania Dutch accent?

It always did freak me out to hear the actor who played Winters use his real British accent.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

He's not a Quaker...

Old
05-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Bluesoma

He's probably a Mennonite