HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Puck daddy article: Will Islanders change colors and logo?

Old
04-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Strummergas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyislesx23 View Post
Everyone is running with the Puck Daddy piece over a week later. Nothing to see here.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Wolf View Post
I found this is some hockey board. It was originally black and white but the true colors of Barclays Center are black and blue. a 2 tone black and translucent light blue only 3rd jersey would look awesome. Attachment 63511
Bloody hideous from the colors to the logo to the name.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Steve55

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...B5PWxOamOgIYLO

This will be disgusting.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 07:08 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

Charles Wang said clearly and with proud passion in his voice that he will not be changing the NY Islanders name, colors, or logo with the move to Brooklyn. All this recent discussion is about a possible new 3rd jersey to go along with the move to Brooklyn. Put that name on it, and go with the Brooklyn color scheme talked about, and that takes care of that.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Potvinscup5

After seeing the post article...I want to start some type of petition to yarmark

Potvinscup5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:42 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk View Post
Charles Wang said clearly and with proud passion in his voice that he will not be changing the NY Islanders name, colors, or logo with the move to Brooklyn. All this recent discussion is about a possible new 3rd jersey to go along with the move to Brooklyn. Put that name on it, and go with the Brooklyn color scheme talked about, and that takes care of that.
Yet many people on this board think Wang will sell, then what Bubba?

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:49 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive45 View Post
My main theme has been that continued brand identity often trumps the desire to chase after the lattest fad. How do you like those new Yankee baseball caps? (and that's a better example than you might think. Wanna go green for St Pats day? you got it. Pink one for the ladies? You got it. The Classic Yankee cap is still there, though.) Those old division names, by being inconsistent in so many ways, never established brand identity.

In 5 years, JT and many other key Islanders will be in the midst of their prime (25-29 for the average NHLer) they're going to change unis right after winning the cup (God willing)? I think not.

Brooklyn won't be in New York anymore? It won't be on an island anymore?

The expression is "I could NOT care less". Otherwise it makes no sense.
No idea what you are talking about with branding....Brooklyn has been around longer than the Isles who have been nothing but the ranks of a small market team their entire NHL existence. You want to talk about branding are we really discussing the branding of Brooklyn vs. NY Islanders? As far as the name, I said nothing about Brooklyn not being in NY, if you can't get my point you are really missing out on key pieces of marketing strategy. Is Buffalo called the NY Sabres? No, of course not. The Rangers have NY city to fall back on and now that the Isles will be in Brooklyn they will see the friggin' obvious opportunity to use a huge branded name to bring in revenue. You can argue all you want and everyone else here is saying capitalistically insane responses like, "well, Wang is already going to make more money with the move, he doesn't NEED to make even more". Seriously? Since when do businessmen in America ever make ENOUGH money? Just silliness....

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:50 AM
blamebettman*

They didn't learn from the fisherman, the idiotic 3rd jersey they have now (which everybody hates) and the stupid RBK rebrand crud they put out there for a few years

Everybody wants to tinker with the classic isles look...but it always comes back to the classic look.

Stop messing with a good thing

And enough with the dodgers too (this means you Wilpons) the brookly dodgers are long dead. Nobody in this area cares about them anymore. The Mets have no links to them, mets fans don't want any jackie or sandy or ebbets tributes shoved down their throats. We want all things dodgers in wastebasket. Including no Islander "Dodger inspired" jersey. I can't wait until the final generation of dodger lingerers here (ahem, Fredo Wilpon) finally croaks so we can wipe the slate clean.

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Fist of Gillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk View Post

Yeah, well he has said a lot things. I hope you're right, but to assume that they are not going to strongly consider a brand refresh is naive. Wang's new partners see what has happened with the Nets merch revival and argue hard for a similar strategy. Again, don't agree with it and think the Nets and Isles are different situations, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

As stated earlier, I hope they leave the unis alone and come up with a BKLYN third uniform. Dodger blue would be cool as long as it doesn't replace the standard uni. Seems like a great compromise to me.

Fist of Gillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:19 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
I don't come here claiming to be the smartest guy in the world, however I cannot understand why this issues continues to be discussed.

At the press conference when they announced the move Bettemen said name, colors and logo stays the same, Wang then took the podium and reiterrated that name colors and logo stays the same. I the NEwday article last week Wang and stressed that name, colors and logo will not change and yet we get these off the cuff, no resouse given comments about changes.

Nothing is changing. Colors, name and logo stays. That's not to say a third might mave a Brooklyn theme, but the main stuff stays.

Can we please, and I'm begging now, please stop talking about this over and over. T
This x100,000,000

Old
04-26-2013, 07:21 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Yet many people on this board think Wang will sell, then what Bubba?
Many people on this board 'think' a lot of things. Doesn't mean it's going to happen. And Wang hasn't said a thing about selling in recent days/weeks/months/years.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:32 PM
edmontonislesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonislesfan View Post
Much of the speculation (not on this thread) about changing the name of the team among those outside the north-eastern United States (for example, Toronto) is based on the mistaken belief that Brooklyn is not on Long Island (or any island). .
Example: Ira Posell, Associated Press, "Bettman 'grateful' seats filled", Edmonton Journal, April 27, 2013.

"....While Bettman says the NHL has no current plans to expand or relocate any franchises- not counting the New York Islanders, who are gearing up for a move from Long Island to Brooklyn in a few years-....".

Although Mr. Podell may well know Brooklyn is on Long Island, this gives the impression it is not. Should have said something like: "The Islanders are relocating down the road from Uniondale, in west-central Long Island, to Brooklyn, at the western end of Long Island".

I know this is not a major issue (more humorous than anything), but articles like this cause some people to (wrongly) continue to speculate on a name change.

edmontonislesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Wolf View Post
I found this is some hockey board. It was originally black and white but the true colors of Barclays Center are black and blue. a 2 tone black and translucent light blue only 3rd jersey would look awesome. Attachment 63511
Nothing to see here.

0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:16 AM
Kings County KING
"$8M GOALIE MY ASS!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamebettman View Post
They didn't learn from the fisherman, the idiotic 3rd jersey they have now (which everybody hates) and the stupid RBK rebrand crud they put out there for a few years

Everybody wants to tinker with the classic isles look...but it always comes back to the classic look.

Stop messing with a good thing

And enough with the dodgers too (this means you Wilpons) the brookly dodgers are long dead. Nobody in this area cares about them anymore. The Mets have no links to them, mets fans don't want any jackie or sandy or ebbets tributes shoved down their throats. We want all things dodgers in wastebasket. Including no Islander "Dodger inspired" jersey. I can't wait until the final generation of dodger lingerers here (ahem, Fredo Wilpon) finally croaks so we can wipe the slate clean.
Speak for yourself.

I'm in my mid 20s. I own two Brooklyn Dodger hats (one traditional, one in black-and-white) and a Brooklyn Dodger jersey. I've been a Mets fan my entire life.

Brooklyn isn't like the other boroughs. It was a city in its own right and if it were an independent city again today, it'd be the fourth largest in the country.

I can guarantee you that the Nets would've sold less merchandise this past year if they went back to their old "New York Nets" moniker that they joined the NBA with. If Wang wants to maximize profits, he'll embrace the borough as much as he can, rather than pretending that nothing has changed other than the county the building is located in.

I've only been to the Mausoleum less than a handful of times in my life. It's a horrible building and I don't own a car. The future is going to be quite different, with 11 trains to bring people to Islander games, and I speculate that less than half of them will be coming from Nassau County, just as most people I've seen at Nets games aren't from across the Hudson River.

The Nets and Islanders are very comparable. If the Islanders are smart, they'll follow the template that their former roommates used. They're profitable as hell now.

Kings County KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 06:02 AM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings County KING View Post
Speak for yourself.

I'm in my mid 20s. I own two Brooklyn Dodger hats (one traditional, one in black-and-white) and a Brooklyn Dodger jersey. I've been a Mets fan my entire life.

Brooklyn isn't like the other boroughs. It was a city in its own right and if it were an independent city again today, it'd be the fourth largest in the country.

I can guarantee you that the Nets would've sold less merchandise this past year if they went back to their old "New York Nets" moniker that they joined the NBA with. If Wang wants to maximize profits, he'll embrace the borough as much as he can, rather than pretending that nothing has changed other than the county the building is located in.

I've only been to the Mausoleum less than a handful of times in my life. It's a horrible building and I don't own a car. The future is going to be quite different, with 11 trains to bring people to Islander games, and I speculate that less than half of them will be coming from Nassau County, just as most people I've seen at Nets games aren't from across the Hudson River.

The Nets and Islanders are very comparable. If the Islanders are smart, they'll follow the template that their former roommates used. They're profitable as hell now.

How long will these branding changes be profitable???? 4-5 years then its old hat and if the team is bad, attendance will be poor unless its taken over by corporate types like MSG. Look at Yankee Stadium now. The team is mediocre and haven't been selling out for the past few years.

Isles will keep their identity and embrace the community, hopefully with a 3rd jersey. Keep the tradition intact though.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:57 AM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings County KING View Post
Speak for yourself.

And you show your immaturity by calling the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum that silly name started by a loud mouth Ranger fan an on a obnoxious radio station. The building may be old and run down, but it has a great history. Something the new Barclays Center for all it's beauty does not have. I am 48 years old and I was at many playoff games in that 'dump' and when it is all said and done that building still hosted 4 Stanley Cup Champions and is named after men who made the supreme sacrifice for our country. Sorry not trying to pick on you but always hated when people referred to it as the Mausoleum as it is disrespectful to the Islander players who made it a great building and the men it is in honor of.

PROMputt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:01 AM
JTforPres2012

The one thing this playoff series has shown is that this community embraces this team like no other. If the Isles were to change their colors, it would be a screw you to its fans in the worst way. The Isles have one of the most historic franchises in the NHL and changing the colors would change the face of the franchise. The New Jersey Nets had nowhere near to the same amount of history compared to the Isles.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post
The one thing this playoff series has shown is that this community embraces this team like no other.
Nor for nothing, but most of these "fans" were nowhere to be found 3 months ago. The Islanders fanbase is the textbook definition of "fairweathered".

Old
05-09-2013, 09:33 AM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

I'm sure the local brooklynites will want us to change it since right now they are "Knick" colors but i really hope it doesn't change, too much history. It's not like we're the atlanta thrashers with no cup wins or history

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:51 AM
JTforPres2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Nor for nothing, but most of these "fans" were nowhere to be found 3 months ago. The Islanders fanbase is the textbook definition of "fairweathered".
Agreed, but there was no doubt how crazy the Coliseum was going to be for this series, which shows the fans are still and will always be there.

Trust me, I know and everyone knows how fair-weathered these fans are, but the fan-base is still alive and hummin.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Aside from most of the NFL and few rarities every sports fan base is like that.. When you lose no one shows up when you win they do especially when you've lost as much as we have over the years.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:38 AM
MJF

Quote:
Fairweathered? We haven't had many competitve teams in the last 20 years.

Maybe they were waiting for something to root for.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:40 AM
MJF

Quote:
Why don't you call it what it really is. A fan base that has been beaten down into dormancy.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
Why don't you call it what it really is. A fan base that has been beaten down into dormancy.
THIS.

Can't ****ing stand when people call Isles fans "fairweathered".

This team has, for the better part of 20 years, not only SUCKED on the ice but off the ice? Complete joke! Maybe the combination of a fraud owner (spano), a crumbling building, Wang, Milbury, backup goalie GM, DP's contract and, which for me was the final straw that made me give up my season tickets, the OBVIOUS attempt to ice the cheapest team possible! Don't kid yourselves folks. This wasn't a rebuild. This was a SpendToTheFloorAndHopeForTheBest. This team is winning DESPITE what ownership is doing. Not the other way around.

So yea, I had season tickets for 10 years. Gave them up 2 years ago when I had finally had enough. Does that mean I didn't follow the team? Nope. Just couldn't justify spending money on a product that wasn't even ATTEMPTING to improve. This year, the team started playing real hockey and yes, I started to show up again at the coliseum. I am going to games again because of the team ON THE ICE. How can you not love this team? I still don't support what ownership is doing because like I said, this is happening despite Wang and his clowns.

Just pisses me off. Fairweather my ass. You really expected people to spend their hard earned cash on everything I just said PLUS a losing team on the ice? Come on. And I can pretty much guarantee "fairweather" fans wouldn't be rocking the coliseum like they have for these 2 playoff games. These are hardcore fans who have been in limbo/hiding for the last few years and I don't know how anyone can blame them for that. I've said it for years... the Islanders fan base never went away, they just went into hibernation.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Poliz24

I think that if for whatever reason, we do change our logo and colors completely. The fans will end up pressuring the organization to change back to the original colors and logo. Think about it, when they changed to the fisherman logo, all of the fans hated it so they made the change back to the original crest and eventually left the design altogether. If it does get changed it won't last.

P.S. I think the name Islanders stays no matter what... what possible name could be used instead... the Dodgers.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote