HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Flyers Overhaul

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2013, 10:36 AM
FLYERSFAN18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
You sure about that? I know he is from Pitt, but I remember there being much talk of him being a Flyers fan and having a Flyers tattoo prior to his joining the Flyers.
I remember that too. There was even pictures of the tattoo

Old
05-09-2013, 10:38 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
You sure about that? I know he is from Pitt, but I remember there being much talk of him being a Flyers fan and having a Flyers tattoo prior to his joining the Flyers.
The whole tattoo thing stemmed from a quote made by Ken Hitchcock:

Quote:
There were questions about his "Flyer tattoo." The ink-free Umberger had no clue what people were talking about until he learned Ken Hitchcock, who coached him in Philadelphia and Columbus, had unwittingly created the confusion. Speaking metaphorically, Hitchcock alluded to the tattoos worn by gritty former Flyers such as Umberger, but several Philadelphia reporters took it literally and wrote about it.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...d-of-town.html

Old
05-09-2013, 10:44 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

My best friends brother in law went to high school with RJ umberger. I know for a fact that he was a penguins fan growing up, because he would always talk about how weird it was seeing RJ play in a flyers jersey while he was here.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:47 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
The whole tattoo thing stemmed from a quote made by Ken Hitchcock:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...d-of-town.html
Huh. That's weird. Here's a quote from a Philly article from around the same time.

Quote:
R.J. Umberger never wanted to leave Philadelphia.

The Flyers tattoo, that you can read about in Wednesday’s Daily News, could probably tell you that much alone.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...eals_show.html

I couldn't find the Daily News article it was talking about. I guess it could be the metaphor tattoo as well.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:03 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
Huh. That's weird. Here's a quote from a Philly article from around the same time.

I couldn't find the Daily News article it was talking about. I guess it could be the metaphor tattoo as well.
Considering how allergic the Philly media is toward things such as fact checking, ethics, basic understanding of the game and such, I am guessing Seravalli just saw Hitchcock's quote and ran with it.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:07 AM
BillDineen

Quote:

RJ and his family were Pens fans growing up. Here is one article of many.

http://www.usahockeymagazine.com/art...06/rj-umberger

Old
05-09-2013, 11:11 AM
BringBackStevens

The flyers don't need any more 4+ million dollar forwards including Read and Ryan unless they are moving one. Schenn and Couturier will be there in a few years and we already have Hartnell, Simmonds, Giroux, Voracek making that scratch. Briere too if you think he's sticking around.

The needs are obvious. The defense needs to be more dynamic. We need to be able to move the puck up the ice at even strength and get some offensive creativity back there. After next year the only guy with any offensive creativity back there will be gustafsson who is not a slam dunk to stick in a top 4 roll yet.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:23 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
Considering how allergic the Philly media is toward things such as fact checking, ethics, basic understanding of the game and such, I am guessing Seravalli just saw Hitchcock's quote and ran with it.
While the Philly media isn't perfect, I would be totally shocked if they wrote an entire article about a tattoo that doesn't exist based solely on a quote by Ken Hitchcock, which really when you look at the quote is obvious that he isn't saying that he has a Flyers tattoo. There has got to be more to it than that. I'd like to see the Daily News article that is referenced in that other article, because if he really has no tattoo and the article about his tattoo, that is simply atrocious. Certainly possible. Obviously if the dude doesn't have a tattoo, he doesn't have a tattoo. I just find it hard to believe that there is an entire article about his tattoo based on an off the cuff reference to a metaphorical tattoo by a coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
RJ and his family were Pens fans growing up. Here is one article of many.

http://www.usahockeymagazine.com/art...06/rj-umberger
Fair enough.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:56 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
While the Philly media isn't perfect, I would be totally shocked if they wrote an entire article about a tattoo that doesn't exist based solely on a quote by Ken Hitchcock, which really when you look at the quote is obvious that he isn't saying that he has a Flyers tattoo. There has got to be more to it than that. I'd like to see the Daily News article that is referenced in that other article, because if he really has no tattoo and the article about his tattoo, that is simply atrocious. Certainly possible. Obviously if the dude doesn't have a tattoo, he doesn't have a tattoo. I just find it hard to believe that there is an entire article about his tattoo based on an off the cuff reference to a metaphorical tattoo by a coach.
I found a forum that had a link to an article entitled "Time With Flyers Left Permanent Mark on Umberger" on philly.com (link here: http://thenhlarena.com/topic/127014-...k-on-umberger/) but the article is no longer there (despite other sport articles from the same day (the day after the article you quoted, Jan 20th, 2010, so likely the referenced article) still being available to read). I am guessing when it came to light that there was in fact no tattoo the article was taking down. Well, I have successfully put off studying long enough in this quest of finding out whether or not Umberger has a Flyers tattoo.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
XXXXXXXXXX /Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Scott Laughton ($1.107m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Erik Gustafsson ($1.200m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) / Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.613m)
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
Buyout: Danny Briere ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,612,262; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,487,738
Is anyone else wondering what we are going to do about our cap situation? Something has to be done. No team ever starts the season relying on LTIR to get under the cap to go into the season. This roster is even with McGinn making the team as a 2nd/3rd liner(which isn't set in stone) and buying out Briere. If the Flyers are going to replace Breire from within, you think that would be McGinn taking the roster spot. Now we still lack a first/second line winger to play on the top lines. We are rumored to be interested in Clarkson and Clowe already, so if we do sign them someone will be traded. It's gotta be one of Coburn/Mez/Hartnell I think.

MAB and Pronger are left on because of their injuries, they probably won't be cleared to play this year. We are also going to need some room for call ups because we know injuries will occur.

Or I could actually see Bryz being bought out to make room on the payroll.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Curufinwe

Nothing has to be done but buying out Briere, moving Talbot or Laughton to the third line and resigning Hall for cheap.

Signing Clowe or Clarkson makes no sense for this team.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Is anyone else wondering what we are going to do about our cap situation? Something has to be done. No team ever starts the season relying on LTIR to get under the cap to go into the season. This roster is even with McGinn making the team as a 2nd/3rd liner(which isn't set in stone) and buying out Briere. If the Flyers are going to replace Breire from within, you think that would be McGinn taking the roster spot. Now we still lack a first/second line winger to play on the top lines. We are rumored to be interested in Clarkson and Clowe already, so if we do sign them someone will be traded. It's gotta be one of Coburn/Mez/Hartnell I think.

MAB and Pronger are left on because of their injuries, they probably won't be cleared to play this year. We are also going to need some room for call ups because we know injuries will occur.

I think the answer is probably Gagne at $2.5 AAV or so.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:27 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Is anyone else wondering what we are going to do about our cap situation? Something has to be done. No team ever starts the season relying on LTIR to get under the cap to go into the season. This roster is even with McGinn making the team as a 2nd/3rd liner(which isn't set in stone) and buying out Briere. If the Flyers are going to replace Briere from within, you think that would be McGinn taking the roster spot. Now we still lack a first/second line winger to play on the top lines. We are rumored to be interested in Clarkson and Clowe already, so if we do sign them someone will be traded. It's gotta be one of Coburn/Mez/Hartnell I think.

Move Meszaros for a mid-round pick.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Nothing has to be done but buying out Briere, moving Talbot or Laughton to the third line and resigning Hall for cheap.

Signing Clowe or Clarkson makes no sense for this team.
Do you honestly think after this season the Flyers just had they are going to sit on their hands? They always get involved with the big named free agents(If Iggy isn't re-signed by the Pens, I honestly think they will go hard for him). You never start the season relying on LTIR to go under the cap.

I don't think Talbot should play on the third line. He is a fourth liner who can contribute big minutes playing PK as well. We saw what we should expect out of him this year compared to the his season two years ago.

Also Homer didn't seem to hot on re-signing the guys he brought in for injury replacements.

I'm just thinking the offseason will be a little more busy than others think.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I think the answer is probably Gagne at $2.5 AAV or so.
Homer also didn't seem too hot on re-signing him unless it fit into our cap situation. Also if we re-sign Gagne, we are practically running the same team out there again, relying on the growth of Couts and Schenn again. Seems a little risky IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Move Meszaros for a mid-round pick.
This might be the most realistic move that might happen, but I would look to Edmonton as a trade partner. They need top 4 defenseman badly and grit. We have both. Coburn and Hartnell. Now I am not saying unload them to the Oilers, but if you get good value on a deal for either one, maybe Homer pulls the trigger.

Also another defenseman around the deadline who was rumored to be on the block is McBain. Maybe the Flyers try to target him, he can effectively move the puck, but is somewhat soft. He would be much cheaper as well. Coming in at 1.8 million.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Curufinwe

They both have NTCs.

Quote:
Do you honestly think after this season the Flyers just had they are going to sit on their hands? They always get involved with the big named free agents(If Iggy isn't re-signed by the Pens, I honestly think they will go hard for him). You never start the season relying on LTIR to go under the cap.
There's no cap room for signing free agents unless they buy out Bryz, and that seems very unlikely. Why would they sign an inferior version of Hartnell in Clowe or Clarkson and then be forced to trade Hartnell who has an NTC? They don't need to rely on LTIR if they buy out Briere.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
They both have NTCs.
Hartnell has a full NTC, but I posted an article(yesterday, albeit the article was referencing 2008) that he "reportedly" agreed to waive it before to Edmonton. Jim Matheson reported it.

Coburn has a modified NTC, so he wouldn't be all that hard to move.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Curufinwe

Moving Coburn is a dumb idea when the long term health of Grossmann and Mezaros is in question.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:49 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Mez should be moved

Old
05-09-2013, 12:50 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Homer also didn't seem too hot on re-signing him unless it fit into our cap situation. Also if we re-sign Gagne, we are practically running the same team out there again, relying on the growth of Couts and Schenn again. Seems a little risky IMO

This might be the most realistic move that might happen, but I would look to Edmonton as a trade partner. They need top 4 defenseman badly and grit. We have both. Coburn and Hartnell. Now I am not saying unload them to the Oilers, but if you get good value on a deal for either one, maybe Homer pulls the trigger.

Also another defenseman around the deadline who was rumored to be on the block is McBain. Maybe the Flyers try to target him, he can effectively move the puck, but is somewhat soft. He would be much cheaper as well. Coming in at 1.8 million.
I don't know much about McBain, but the salary looks good if he's got offensive/puck-moving upside. I'm also an advocate for trying to get one of the lesser defensemen (eg, Ellis) out of Nashville. And if Holmgren could swing something like Alex Edler for Couturier and Coburn/Grossmann, I'd be all for that. I know there are opponents to Edler, but I'm giddy about the notion of the Canucks making a couple of knee-jerk moves. I love Grossmann (in the platonic, hockey sense) and his solid defense, but the concussions are starting to accumulate and the Flyers have an abundance of defensive defensemen.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Rolex

Quote:
Hartnell has a full NTC, but I posted an article(yesterday, albeit the article was referencing 2008) that he "reportedly" agreed to waive it before to Edmonton. Jim Matheson reported it.

Coburn has a modified NTC, so he wouldn't be all that hard to move.
With the debacle that occurred in Vancouver over the last week, I can see them wanting to rearrange their deck chairs and aside from the Sedins, any one would be a target. Coburn and Hartnell to the Canucks for Edler and, say David Booth, would help both teams. They get a new d-man and a winger for the Sedin line. The Flyers take a defenseman from them with a big contract but one that the organization could handle if they shed Coburn and Hartnell. Booth goes into the mix at wing. The contracts are a fit as far as the cap goes-9.25 coming and going.

Last edited by Rolex: 05-09-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old
05-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Yup, relying on the progression of young core players is a big part of what I hope they do. Don't overreact to a shortened season.

Heck, does anyone believe that the Flyers wouldn't have ended up in the playoffs if they had another 34 games to play, despite their absurd number of injuries?

- Resign Gagne
- Sign a cheap 4C
- Explore possible trades for 2/3 defenseman like Edler (who I like). If Couturier + gets it done, great. If the 11th + gets it done, outstanding. If it is Coburn +, I guess that's fine, but it is risky.

To be honest, I guess I just disagree that making a few smaller moves is riskier than blowing it up...again.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

Anyone see Laughton on a wing next season?

Read-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Symmonds
Gagne-Couturier-Laughton
Rinaldo-Hall-Talbot
Rosehill

Old
05-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Jack de la Hoya

I'd rather see Schenn converted:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Couturier-Simmonds
Gagne/VET-Laughton-Read

Old
05-09-2013, 04:11 PM
OzFlyers
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
With the debacle that occurred in Vancouver over the last week, I can see them wanting to rearrange their deck chairs and aside from the Sedins, any one would be a target. Coburn and Hartnell to the Canucks for Edler and, say David Booth, would help both teams. They get a new d-man and a winger for the Sedin line. The Flyers take a defenseman from them with a big contract but one that the organization could handle if they shed Coburn and Hartnell. Booth goes into the mix at wing. The contracts are a fit as far as the cap goes-9.25 coming and going.
No thanks to Booth. He only played about two games this year due to various injuries and isn't the same player since the Richards hit.

Closed Thread