HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Bruins' Luck

Old
05-09-2013, 12:35 AM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
People seem to be forgetting this. We're notoriously bad in the second half but this year we didn't have a second half. Not only that, but Reimer didn't have to play a full season, and just look at how bad we were down the stretch as it was.

Next year we won't make the playoffs, Boston will. Why? They're a legit contender, we're pretenders.
Do you have any actual rationale behind this, other than "we're always bad in the second half"?

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Bullgang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
What do you consider the 9 goalposts we've hit in this series? Poor shooting? The thing is, these aren't deflections or anything. These shots are simply good hard shots that are beating Rask cleanly, not an easy thing to do. The Bruins are incredibly fortunate to be where they are right now and luck has played a HUGE part in the 3-1 series lead they have.
Remember the mighty ducks theory? Quarter inch the other way and you would have missed completely.

Bullgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:28 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

Second goal that gets past Rask is a seeing eye goal where he's screened by his own D. Come on, the luck breaks both ways...

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:36 AM
daner

Although it is may be more incompetence than luck but some of those penalties last night were pretty weak. Phaneuf's knee/trip was a hockey hit to me, Komarov's charging penalty (what ever happened to hard-nosed playoff hockey), someone slashing the stick in Grabo's hands after a delayed call on us.

The Bruins are a good team, but last night the refs were just plain bad imo. Not trying to make excuses but jeez. Still go leafs go!!

daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:42 AM
Ari91

Every team needs some luck to win games. That's just the nature of the game. They say when you're good, you're lucky and when you're lucky, you're good. That pretty much sums up the Bruins.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Every team needs some luck to win games. That's just the nature of the game. They say when you're good, you're lucky and when you're lucky, you're good. That pretty much sums up the Bruins.
Yes, it's Bruins' luck that causes Reimer to let out 15 more rebounds/game than Rask. It's Bruins' luck that causes Phaneuf to pinch in OT, at the worst time.
It's Bruins' luck that Kadri is not scoring like he did during the regular season.

It's not luck. It's Leafs mistakes.

Alflives* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:24 AM
zeke
#freewilly

It does seem the breaks have gone boston's way but that's not luck....that's just them capitalizing on their chances much better than we have.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Yes, it's Bruins' luck that causes Reimer to let out 15 more rebounds/game than Rask. It's Bruins' luck that causes Phaneuf to pinch in OT, at the worst time.
It's Bruins' luck that Kadri is not scoring like he did during the regular season.

It's not luck. It's Leafs mistakes.
Do you and others take things to literal extremes in order to feel like you're getting an intellectual upper hand on others? There really should be no need for me to explain a simple comment because you seem to think common sense is overrated or something.

I am not agreeing that luck is the reason that the Bruins are leading this series. I'm saying that every team gets luck in some manner or another which essentially should cancel out the notion as being some sort of advantage for one team or the other. When you're hemmed in your own zone and a pass bounces over the stick and allows you to clear your zone, that's luck. BOTH teams have had this happen to them. When a shot on net rings off of all three posts without ever going in, I'd say that's pretty damn unlucky. Luck is part of the game and luck doesn't always materialize into a goal or shot on net. The Bruins aren't winning this series because they're lucky. They're winning because regardless of how well we've played, they have shown to be the better team in 3 of the 4 games because they know how to play solid in their own end and capitalize on their opposition's mistakes. When you're good, sometimes you create your own luck.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Alflives*

Quote:
Do you and others take things to literal extremes in order to feel like you're getting an intellectual upper hand on others? There really should be no need for me to explain a simple comment because you seem to think common sense is overrated or something.

I am not agreeing that luck is the reason that the Bruins are leading this series. I'm saying that every team gets luck in some manner or another which essentially should cancel out the notion as being some sort of advantage for one team or the other. When you're hemmed in your own zone and a pass bounces over the stick and allows you to clear your zone, that's luck. BOTH teams have had this happen to them. When a shot on net rings off of all three posts without ever going in, I'd say that's pretty damn unlucky. Luck is part of the game and luck doesn't always materialize into a goal or shot on net. The Bruins aren't winning this series because they're lucky. They're winning because regardless of how well we've played, they have shown to be the better team in 3 of the 4 games because they know how to play solid in their own end and capitalize on their opposition's mistakes. When you're good, sometimes you create your own luck.
I disagree. The Bruins are not the better team. They are winning 3-1 yes, but there are two HUGE issues plaguing the Leafs, which people seem unwilling to adress: Rask is playing much better than Reimer, and Chara is playing a lot bette than Phaneuf. In every other area the Leafs are the better team. It's not luck or any other reason.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:58 AM
John Stamos
Leafs suck, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segchise View Post
It's more annoying when the Bruins best defensemen gets put in the box with 6 minutes left in the game bc Lupul was shot by an invisible sniper
The last thing you should be complaining about from last nights game is the penalty calls.

John Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:59 AM
John Stamos
Leafs suck, I know.

Quote:
People seem to be forgetting this. We're notoriously bad in the second half but this year we didn't have a second half. Not only that, but Reimer didn't have to play a full season, and just look at how bad we were down the stretch as it was.

Next year we won't make the playoffs, Boston will. Why? They're a legit contender, we're pretenders.
Yes cause Boston was flying down the stretch

It's funny how with the amount of turnover this team has seen and the drastic improvement in special teams, people just assume we would fold.

John Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:06 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 2000
Quote:
I disagree. The Bruins are not the better team. They are winning 3-1 yes, but there are two HUGE issues plaguing the Leafs, which people seem unwilling to adress: Rask is playing much better than Reimer, and Chara is playing a lot better than Phaneuf. In every other area the Leafs are the better team. It's not luck or any other reason.
Rask is slightly outplaying Reims and Dion is no where near the player Chara is but the main reason the B's are winning imo is that we're constantly turning over the puck and providing them with quality scoring chances .

As far as this thread goes , it isn't luck that the B's are up 3-1 . They play a solid system and work hard to get there chances , they don't gamble and are willing to grind until an opportunity presents itself .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
Since when are shots the indicator for the team that plays better?

I thought we were better in the first, better in the third and better in OT. We outhit them and the majority of their chances came on the powerplay.
the only period we outshot them even strength was the third

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Ari91

Quote:
I disagree. The Bruins are not the better team. They are winning 3-1 yes, but there are two HUGE issues plaguing the Leafs, which people seem unwilling to adress: Rask is playing much better than Reimer, and Chara is playing a lot bette than Phaneuf. In every other area the Leafs are the better team. It's not luck or any other reason.
Well last time I checked, the goalie and #1 dman are considered to be part of each respective team. If one or several individuals on one team is playing better than their respective players on the other team then collectively it makes one team better than the other. Leafs have the ability to be the better team but you can't get the respect or the title of being 'better' if you aren't able to produce the wins because ultimately that's what counts.

As odd as it sounds, the most positive thing to take from this is that the Leafs haven't lost games because they've been dominated and forced to make stupid mistakes. Their mistakes are a combination of inexperience and some guys playing roles too big for their talent. You see the best of the Bruins by their ability to take care of their own end and wait to pounce on the mistakes the Leafs make. In all that, the positive is that the Leafs are making mistakes that are fixable. I would hope Nonis makes some changes in the off season but I would expect that a full training camp with Carlyle should be really good for the core group on this team.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Alflives*

Quote:
guys playing roles too big for their talent.
Which guys? Reimer and Phaneuf, I think. They stand out, both good and bad.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:25 AM
HappyGilmourr

The leafs have showed up in 2 out of 4 games. so right there we already have given them 2 free games. The other 2 games the leafs showed up and were closer and we won one and lost one which is fair. I thought we could have won that game last night though. If the leafs played liked they did in game 2 and game 4 they would have been able to win this series. Boston has shown up every game, despite being less offensively talented and not as fast... they are less turn over prone, more experienced and this has been the difference. Boston deserves to be up 3-1...

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:27 AM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
It is not luck... Boston is the bigger, better, faster and better goalie team than the Leafs.

Boston is just that much better. If this was a regular 82 game season the leafs would not even have made the playoffs.
I don't think that the B's are faster than the Leafs.If anything lack of team speed may hurt the B's later in the playoffs[if they happen to get by Toronto of course] The Bruins never dominate anybody,they never have,even during their Cup run.One thing they do have is the ability to perservere,they know how to weather the storm ..I don't think luck has anything to do with it,even in regards to hitting goal posts.If a goalie is positioned well ,perhaps hitting a goal post is a reflection of good positioning from the goalie.I think the Leafs are a good young team but their lack of depth on D and so-so play from Reimer has ultimately been their downfall thus far.Good luck on Friday

gillesgilbert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:37 AM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
The leafs have showed up in 2 out of 4 games. so right there we already have given them 2 free games. The other 2 games the leafs showed up and were closer and we won one and lost one which is fair. I thought we could have won that game last night though. If the leafs played liked they did in game 2 and game 4 they would have been able to win this series. Boston has shown up every game, despite being less offensively talented and not as fast... they are less turn over prone, more experienced and this has been the difference. Boston deserves to be up 3-1...
You think Boston played to their potential in game 2? No chance. They stunk. Leafs have played about as good as it gets in both games in Toronto. Almost 100 shots against Rask in two games and two losses to show for it. They played admirably and still lost. Boston in Game 1 where the Leafs were sleepy was probably their best game yet...and without Reimer's heroics in that game...it could have been 8-1. If Boston and the Leafs both played b@lls out top of their game...this is a 5 game series. As it is without this occurring...still looks like a 5 games series....

Leaf Nation should stop all this nonsense about refereeing and luck and blah blah blah...as a hockey fan I find this quite embarrassing.

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:44 AM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
the only period we outshot them even strength was the third
Aside from the fact that shot totals are never a good indicator, you are actually incredibly wrong:

Shot Report for Game 4

The leafs outshot the Bruins even strength in every period except the first.

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
Aside from the fact that shot totals are never a good indicator, you are actually incredibly wrong:

Shot Report for Game 4

The leafs outshot the Bruins even strength in every period except the first.
11v9 or 13v10 are virtually identical, i'm not about splitting hairs here

if someone gets 1-2 more shots they aren't crowned the better team

incredibly wrong? gtfo

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Frankie

Quote:
I disagree. The Bruins are not the better team. They are winning 3-1 yes, but there are two HUGE issues plaguing the Leafs, which people seem unwilling to adress: Rask is playing much better than Reimer, and Chara is playing a lot bette than Phaneuf.
are those player not part of their respective teams?

how can we talk about which team is better, then separate certain players from the teams? that makes no sense.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
11v9 or 13v10 are virtually identical, i'm not about splitting hairs here

if someone gets 1-2 more shots they aren't crowned the better team

incredibly wrong? gtfo
He said the other guy was incredibly wrong about the Leafs not out shooting them in any period, not that the Leafs are automatically better because of shot totals.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:46 PM
veedubn1

Can't believe how long this thread has become.

Bruins have been lucky? Pathetic.

The Leafs need to execute better... plain and simple.

Talks of the puck bouncing a certain way or Leafs missing wide open nets due to bad luck is ridiculous.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
are those player not part of their respective teams?

how can we talk about which team is better, then separate certain players from the teams? that makes no sense.
What if the goalies are switched? Do you not think the series would be 3-1 for the Leafs?

Old
05-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Felstead
Boss Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
It is not luck... Boston is the bigger, better, faster and better goalie team than the Leafs.

Boston is just that much better. If this was a regular 82 game season the leafs would not even have made the playoffs.
I dissagree completely. I didn't really buy into this so called "luck" that the bruins were getting, but it was really apparent last night.

Cheating on icings for more of a "timeout" Thats brutal
Diving more times than not
Scoring the silliest and dumbest goals I'v probably ever seen. There is no gameplan its just.."shoot" slapshot, puck goes wide, comes to other Dman, slapshot, puck goes wide. Its the same thing every single time, no finesse involved at all.

I wasn't expecting us to win this series at the start or probably even now. On a fair game though where there isnt this "cheating" bs going on by the bruins....We win.

Felstead is offline   Reply With Quote