HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zack Kassian's Future

Old
05-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
He's a project for sure, I think he got 3 points at ES not with the Sedins, 2nd worst pts/60 among forwards but he's stellar defensively, right?

Rarely wins puck battles, always a second late and a foot short. What he has is good hands and size.

PS - you know the OP is right when all the negative responses are ad hominem.
I hope for your sake hes traded and goes on to flourish a la Toddimus Bertuzzimus.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:13 PM
J Canuck

vCash: 50
The little bit I saw of him last year disappointed me greatly. The start of this year was a whole different player, but that didn't last without being on the top line. Most of this year he was doing one or 2 things right (and wrong) at any time and then doing different things right (and wrong) the next game. He's been improving and could be great if he develops the complete package. He's getting better at positioning, reading plays, anticipating turnovers, playing with and without the puck and he's already got the size and decent hands. A little more speed and passing skills would take this guy a long way.

J Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Canuck View Post
The little bit I saw of him last year disappointed me greatly. The start of this year was a whole different player, but that didn't last without being on the top line. Most of this year he was doing one or 2 things right (and wrong) at any time and then doing different things right (and wrong) the next game. He's been improving and could be great if he develops the complete package. He's getting better at positioning, reading plays, anticipating turnovers, playing with and without the puck and he's already got the size and decent hands. A little more speed and passing skills would take this guy a long way.
You need to add fitness. Kassian relies (relied) on his special skill-set, when younger. Now, as an NHL player, he needs to be fit too. He needs to forgo the parties, and get into the gym or he will not develop beyond where he is now.

Alflives* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:19 PM
m9
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I still think he's going to be a huge asset on the PP. He has two attributes which are great on the PP - he has the size and skill to be in front of the net, and he has the vision/passing from down low to the points to make the tough passes. He needs to be with players who can gain the zone and set him up in those situations, but once he's there he will rack up PP points.

m9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:21 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
You need to add fitness. Kassian relies (relied) on his special skill-set, when younger. Now, as an NHL player, he needs to be fit too. He needs to forgo the parties, and get into the gym or he will not develop beyond where he is now.
Fitness is a big one. It would give him that half step he's missing, and he wouldn't get gassed so quick. Defensive reads is another.

Fortunately these are things you can teach a young player. He has tremendous size, snarl and reasonable offensive instincts, though. Those are things you can't teach. Guys either have em or don't.

It'll all come down to whether or not he's a good student.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Fitness is a big one. It would give him that half step he's missing, and he wouldn't get gassed so quick. Defensive reads is another.

Fortunately these are things you can teach a young player. He has tremendous size, snarl and reasonable offensive instincts, though. Those are things you can't teach. Guys either have em or don't.

It'll all come down to whether or not he's a good student.
Excellent post! I agree 100%. Kassian has a skill-set that is not teachable. Could he become a right-hand shot Bertuzzi?

Old
05-09-2013, 01:36 PM
BlackAces
Play Your Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
I disagree with this strongly. He doesn't see the ice well at all. He doesn't know where to go. Looks lost on the ice at times - indicative of a low Hockey IQ, which is often a big, big (and overlooked) determining factor.

It's like Kassian's spent more time on trying to develop cutesy-pie dangle moves rather than studying the game's fundamentals.
You couldn't be more wrong. When Kassian is playing well and with confidence, the one thing you can tell he has is very good vision and ability to see plays developing. He seems to lose confidence easily and his constant demotions for trying new things probably was a big reason why he would usually chip the puck in and change most of this year. The one thing he really should would on is his skating technique, it looks like he leans way to fa forwards when he skates.

BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. When Kassian is playing well and with confidence, the one thing you can tell he has is very good vision and ability to see plays developing. He seems to lose confidence easily and his constant demotions for trying new things probably was a big reason why he would usually chip the puck in and change most of this year. The one thing he really should would on is his skating technique, it looks like he leans way to fa forwards when he skates.
You couldn't be more wrong. Kassian's minutes are controlled, because he's not fit enough to play more. Kesler even said as much, "He [Kassian] needs to realize how important he is to this team's success." That's one player expressing frustration at another players commitment.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
Quote:
I disagree with this strongly. He doesn't see the ice well at all. He doesn't know where to go. Looks lost on the ice at times - indicative of a low Hockey IQ, which is often a big, big (and overlooked) determining factor.

It's like Kassian's spent more time on trying to develop cutesy-pie dangle moves rather than studying the game's fundamentals.
You are right, he doesn't play the system that well right now. I meant that he sees the ice well when he's making plays with the puck. The play almost never dies on his stick and he finds people that are open. Getting better at seeing the ice from a defensive standpoint and becoming a better conditioned player are definitely something he needs to work on. His strength is his one on one game. I think the other stuff can easily come with more experience.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:56 PM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
Kassian is going to be fine and basketball sucks

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:57 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
Absolutely.

Todd Bertuzzi had 36 points in his first 116 games.
Keith Primeau had 31 points in his first 97 games.
Joe Thornton had 48 points in his first 138 games.
Zack Kassian has 21 points in his first 83 games.

Did you want me to keep going?
Bertuzzi had 18 goals/39 points in 74GP in his first season. He was 20.

Thornton did have that 7 point season, but he was 18 at the time.

Followed it up by 16G 41P and then 20G 60P. By 22 he was a PPG player.

So considering 2 of your examples are pretty ridiculous, one being flatout wrong, sure keep going.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:58 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Ryane Clowe didn't establish himself as an NHLer until 24.
And he had 3 goals this year.

High hope for kassian.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:00 PM
serge2k

Quote:

No, it's more an excuse for people who want to say a player sucks but don't have anything better to point at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaFan View Post
So Zack Kassian, drafted in 2009, is a permanent 3rd/4th liner because he *only* produced at a 22pt/82g pace this year?

But, several Canuck 2009 draft picks like Anton Rodin, Kevin Connauton, and Peter Andersson are all really solid NHL prospects, despite not even sniffing the NHL at the same point in their careers?

Oh HF Boards, you never cease to amuse me ...
Lets be honest, would those guys be considered really solid NHL prospects for teams with prospect pools that aren't terrible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. Kassian's minutes are controlled, because he's not fit enough to play more. Kesler even said as much, "He [Kassian] needs to realize how important he is to this team's success." That's one player expressing frustration at another players commitment.
Actually I would say it is more a veteran telling a young guy that he needs to realize that he can be a force if he puts it together mentally.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:04 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

I liked his game in the playoffs. But just like any other young players, he's inconsistent. He'll be good.

DennisReynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Scurr

Kassian needs some time. He's big but not overpowering yet because he doesn't have his man strength yet. Guys that have been in the league for 10 years, even if not as big, are strong. Once he's bigger and stronger than everyone else he'll be the player he can be physically.

Mentally... it's really hard to say. I heard he was a little nuts but we haven't really seen that. Disinterested would more aptly describe his play here overall. Hopefully he asserts himself more as he gains confidence.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Alflives*

[QUOTE=serge2k;6569560Actually I would say it is more a veteran telling a young guy that he needs to realize that he can be a force if he puts it together mentally.[/QUOTE]

Fitness certainly affects decision making. They work in combination. It's an experienced player letting a younger guy know he needs to make changes to his lifestyle.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:44 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
And he had 3 goals this year.

High hope for kassian.
I guess Kassian is already x2 the player Clowe is

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:57 PM
MrShift4
GRRRR.......Babe

Good thing Kassian isn't trying out for the Grizzlies

MrShift4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:00 PM
MrShift4
GRRRR.......Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
This reminds me that I got to buzz this weekend.

Thanks

MrShift4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Zarpan

I'd have to say this thread is a bit premature.

None of the current Canuck forwards had done anything by the time they were Kassian's age. The Sedins were getting 30-ish points, Kesler had 23 points, Raymond was getting 20-something points, Hansen and Burrows were still minor-leaguers.

Kassian's younger than Schroeder. Probably shouldn't even make this thread for a couple years.

Zarpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:12 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Ryane Clowe didn't establish himself as an NHLer until 24.
Hmm good point. If he can develop into a Ryane Clowe I think we would all be ecstatic. Lets hope!

05-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Squall

I think Kassian has potential to be the power forward that everyone thinks he is, but like everyone says, will take longer to development. I am hopeful of that.

However, I also feel that it largely depends on Kassian's work ethics and whether or not he'll train hard enough for next year.

Ugh... why is our season over so quickly?! :'(

Squall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:16 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Hmm good point. If he can develop into a Ryane Clowe I think we would all be ecstatic. Lets hope!
Thanks.

Yeah, Bertuzzi in his prime IMO is an unrealistic expectation. Kassian has the tools IMO, it's just that Bertuzzi in his prime was one of the hardest players in the NHL to stop.

A Clowe comparison is more fair, considering they are both playmakers first, and can score when asked.

I'm hoping Kassian has some 55 point seasons at his peak, meanwhile scoring big goals and being a physical force and a bit of an enforcer.

Kassian's issue at this point, is he has to develop the consistent physical game...once he figures that out, it will open up his offense.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:19 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
I'd have to say this thread is a bit premature.

None of the current Canuck forwards had done anything by the time they were Kassian's age. The Sedins were getting 30-ish points, Kesler had 23 points, Raymond was getting 20-something points, Hansen and Burrows were still minor-leaguers.

Kassian's younger than Schroeder. Probably shouldn't even make this thread for a couple years.
Probably, but unfortunately for Kassian the player he was traded for is a much much better offensive player at this point.

Until Kassian closes that gap people are going to be annoyed.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:24 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
He's a project for sure, I think he got 3 points at ES not with the Sedins, 2nd worst pts/60 among forwards but he's stellar defensively, right?

Rarely wins puck battles, always a second late and a foot short. What he has is good hands and size.

PS - you know the OP is right when all the negative responses are ad hominem.

So the fact that he is not where we want him to be at 22 means that he will never get there? Is this the conclusion that we are drawing? Hey, Brendan Gaunce is 19 and has doesn't even played in the NHL. Guess he'll never be a player. Nick Jensen scored 0 goals in 2 games. I guess he'll never score a goal.

The fact that you actually look at a 22 year old player - who is in his first full season on a *contending team* that isn't looking to coddle rookies and plays for a coach that is notorious for favoring veterans over rookies - and focus only on what they aren't good at currently, rather than what they *are* good at or show potential to be good at, has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in the past 24 hours on these boards (of which there has been a lot)...

CanaFan is online now   Reply With Quote