HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I sort of disagree, I don't think they're going far due to inconsistent goaltending. Even Halak hasn't been "great" during his time with the Blues and Elliott is clearly a benefit of Hitchcock's system.

I do sort of agree that they need to get a consistent forward because the talent and pieces are there. They also have a fine blend of players between snipers, powerforwards, small crafty danglers, two-way fowards, two-way defensemen, shutdown, and offensive D. But they tend to disappear or go on streaks at a time like Stewart and Berglund to name a few.
If the Blues added Miller and Staz to their current roster I think they could win the cup.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:38 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
If the Blues added Miller and Staz to their current roster I think they could win the cup.
Problem is that they would lose a lot for those two.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:33 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Problem is that they would lose a lot for those two.
Miller yes... Stastny not so much. They could lose a good winger or Berglund (who Stastny would replace anyway) plus a prospect or pick and be fine there. Miller would likely require a couple of high end future assets, plus a player like Shattenkirk.

Really I think all they really need is a center like Stastny and they would be favorites to win the cup. Hitch can get by with average goalies.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:47 AM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 562

Old
05-09-2013, 11:56 AM
wondeROY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK View Post
LOL! Took me a second, but that is FANTASTIC!!!

Old
05-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Seriously the few games I've seen of the Caps-Rags series, Ovi looks like this on almost every shift in his own zone. He'll backcheck to get back in the zone, but when he's there it's just arms at the side, and barely even try to block passes or shots. He's just saving all his energy for when he gets the puck. It's pretty pathetic from a captain.

That was a pretty sweet give and go though.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:57 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
LMAO, this is too good!

Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife.
Old
05-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Pretty funny. Haha.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:04 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

That gif is hilarious. Typical Ovi in the defensive zone... he just doesn't seem to care enough to play defense.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
That gif is hilarious. Typical Ovi in the defensive zone... he just doesn't seem to care enough to play defense.

Fast forward to 1:30 for the 2nd video. Ovy had a nice backcheck in that game as well on Hags but was wrongfully called a penalty.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:24 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
Fast forward to 1:30 for the 2nd video. Ovy had a nice backcheck in that game as well on Hags but was wrongfully called a penalty.
Two instances where he or somebody (Green?) got beat and had to come back to break up a play... he put in the effort expected of him there. Those are different scenarios than being in the defensive zone and playing good defense. I'm also not saying he doesn't have moments of good defense (every player does), just saying that for the most part he floats around the defensive zone not doing a whole lot.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
The 2012-13 Hart Trophy winner (most likely) and Caps captain setting a fine example there.

Sadly, it's not the first time he has given that kind of pathetic effort in the defensive zone in this series.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Two instances where he or somebody (Green?) got beat and had to come back to break up a play... he put in the effort expected of him there. Those are different scenarios than being in the defensive zone and playing good defense. I'm also not saying he doesn't have moments of good defense (every player does), just saying that for the most part he floats around the defensive zone not doing a whole lot.
So, when he makes a great defensive play that's to be expected from him but when he floats it's typical ovy?

Ovechkin will never be a defensive beast but if he's not a liability the caps shouldn't have a problem with that.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:34 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
So, when he makes a great defensive play that's to be expected from him but when he floats it's typical ovy?

Ovechkin will never be a defensive beast but if he's not a liability the caps shouldn't have a problem with that.
You are reading that wrong... When you get beat in the offensive zone you have to make an effort to get back to stop an odd man rush or a breakaway. That is just a part of playing hockey. I don't recall Ovechkin ever having a problem with that.

Where Ovechkin does have a problem is in the defensive zone, when the other team has control of the puck. He then kind of just floats around the top of the faceoff circle and doesn't put in much effort.

Those are two different areas of the game.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
You are reading that wrong... When you get beat in the offensive zone you have to make an effort to get back to stop an odd man rush or a breakaway. That is just a part of playing hockey. I don't recall Ovechkin ever having a problem with that.

Where Ovechkin does have a problem is in the defensive zone, when the other team has control of the puck. He then kind of just floats around the top of the faceoff circle and doesn't put in much effort.

Those are two different areas of the game.
Fair enough but if he's able to clean up his own defensive mess then the caps should be fine with his defensive play.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:

The point is, he was a liability on that particular play and the Caps should have a problem with that. It's the third period of a playoff game when they're already down by one goal.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:51 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Fair enough but if he's able to clean up his own defensive mess then the caps should be fine with his defensive play.
And that is the point... he should have been more responsible on that play. If he was in the right position to begin with and put in more effort he would have potentially been able to disrupt the play. He was a liability on that play and needs to be better than he was there.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Hesher
down on the upside

vCash: 162
Detroit lost, St.Louis lost, I like it.

That game 4 in Toronto was fantastic with Phaneuf providing the icing on the cake.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:42 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
And that is the point... he should have been more responsible on that play. If he was in the right position to begin with and put in more effort he would have potentially been able to disrupt the play. He was a liability on that play and needs to be better than he was there.
It was a failed breakout on the other side of the ice, and he's covering his man (the defenseman at the point). The breakdown is on the other side of the ice, where the other Caps forward is caught outside of Callahan, forcing Oleksy to step up, vacating the spot the Ranger backs across the crease into, and by then it's too late. Given what I think of his defensive hockey IQ (not much) and the rate at which the play developed (it's about 1 to 1.5 seconds from the puck leaving Callahan's stick to the goal), I'm not surprised he just stood there like a statue. He likely didn't even make the read until it was too late to do anything.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:46 PM
jaems

With Price injured, it's now a battle of ex-Avs: BUDAJ VS. ANDERSON

Old
05-09-2013, 03:01 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaems View Post
What's Minnesota's goalie situation right now? They were down to their 3rd last game with Backstrom and Harding both hurt.

Old
05-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
What's Minnesota's goalie situation right now? They were down to their 3rd last game with Backstrom and Harding both hurt.
Backstrom suited up after Harding went down, and they said he was practicing with the team. So I would assume that he would be in net tonight.

Old
05-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaems View Post
that **** is so lopsided its pretty much upside down

Old
05-09-2013, 03:14 PM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peckerskull View Post
Backstrom suited up after Harding went down, and they said he was practicing with the team. So I would assume that he would be in net tonight.
Harding is in net tonight.

http://www.kare11.com/sports/article...ght-in-Chicago

Old
05-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
PURE GOLD

How can you not put in effort in the playoffs...

Closed Thread