HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Puck daddy article: Will Islanders change colors and logo?

Old
05-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Strummergas

vCash: 500
I understand that it's to be expected that attendance numbers go down when a team isn't playing well. **** teams don't sell out every night. But the attendance has been abysmal. ABYSMAL! I know, 20 years since a playoff win, Wang, blah blah blah.

Suddenly now everyone comes out of the woodwork? Big ****ing surprise! I would wager that most of these fans don't even know who Jack Capuano is. Even if they go on a long run during this playoff season, if they don't start out well next season, watch the attendance numbers plummet. That's the way it is and always has been post-dynasty. And it's one of the reasons why they're moving to Brooklyn.

For the record, this is a topic all it's own in regards to this team. I don't want the colors, logo or name changed and while I'm glad they're moving to Brooklyn because it means the team stays local, I didn't want them to move until it became obvious that nothing was getting done one LI.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:24 AM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by twine seeking missle View Post
this.

Can't ****ing stand when people call isles fans "fairweathered".

This team has, for the better part of 20 years, not only sucked on the ice but off the ice? Complete joke! Maybe the combination of a fraud owner (spano), a crumbling building, wang, milbury, backup goalie gm, dp's contract and, which for me was the final straw that made me give up my season tickets, the obvious attempt to ice the cheapest team possible! Don't kid yourselves folks. This wasn't a rebuild. This was a spendtothefloorandhopeforthebest. This team is winning despite what ownership is doing. Not the other way around.

So yea, i had season tickets for 10 years. Gave them up 2 years ago when i had finally had enough. Does that mean i didn't follow the team? Nope. Just couldn't justify spending money on a product that wasn't even attempting to improve. This year, the team started playing real hockey and yes, i started to show up again at the coliseum. I am going to games again because of the team on the ice. How can you not love this team? I still don't support what ownership is doing because like i said, this is happening despite wang and his clowns.

Just pisses me off. Fairweather my ass. You really expected people to spend their hard earned cash on everything i just said plus a losing team on the ice? Come on. And i can pretty much guarantee "fairweather" fans wouldn't be rocking the coliseum like they have for these 2 playoff games. These are hardcore fans who have been in limbo/hiding for the last few years and i don't know how anyone can blame them for that. I've said it for years... The islanders fan base never went away, they just went into hibernation.
truth!

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
truth!
Opinion. And my opinion is that hardcore fans don't hibernate.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:30 AM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
I understand that it's to be expected that attendance numbers go down when a team isn't playing well. **** teams don't sell out every night. But the attendance has been abysmal. ABYSMAL! I know, 20 years since a playoff win, Wang, blah blah blah.

Suddenly now everyone comes out of the woodwork? Big ****ing surprise! I would wager that most of these fans don't even know who Jack Capuano is. Even if they go on a long run during this playoff season, if they don't start out well next season, watch the attendance numbers plummet. That's the way it is and always has been post-dynasty. And it's one of the reasons why they're moving to Brooklyn.

For the record, this is a topic all it's own in regards to this team. I don't want the colors, logo or name changed and while I'm glad they're moving to Brooklyn because it means the team stays local, I didn't want them to move until it became obvious that nothing was getting done one LI.
Blah, blah blah??? You've got to be kidding me. I would have called somebody fairweathered in 1986 if they stopped watching because they hadn't won a cup in 3 years. I don't blame anyone who did not want to pay for tickets or Islanders merchandise over the last 20 years or so. People got tired of being fed a steady diet of crap and they stopped taking it.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
Blah, blah blah??? You've got to be kidding me. I would have called somebody fairweathered in 1986 if they stopped watching because they hadn't won a cup in 3 years. I don't blame anyone who did not want to pay for tickets or Islanders merchandise over the last 20 years or so. People got tired of being fed a steady diet of crap and they stopped taking it.
How about throwing Islander jerseys on the ice after they were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs in 1994 after making the conference finals the year before?

And don't make people out to be so pious. Nothing has changed in regards to the internal management of this team. The players just got better. Wang is still a cheap horrible owner, the building is still old and the team is still moving. If everyone was so tired of taking it, they wouldn't have come running back the second there was a hint of success.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
THIS.

Can't ****ing stand when people call Isles fans "fairweathered".

This team has, for the better part of 20 years, not only SUCKED on the ice but off the ice? Complete joke! Maybe the combination of a fraud owner (spano), a crumbling building, Wang, Milbury, backup goalie GM, DP's contract and, which for me was the final straw that made me give up my season tickets, the OBVIOUS attempt to ice the cheapest team possible! Don't kid yourselves folks. This wasn't a rebuild. This was a SpendToTheFloorAndHopeForTheBest. This team is winning DESPITE what ownership is doing. Not the other way around.

So yea, I had season tickets for 10 years. Gave them up 2 years ago when I had finally had enough. Does that mean I didn't follow the team? Nope. Just couldn't justify spending money on a product that wasn't even ATTEMPTING to improve. This year, the team started playing real hockey and yes, I started to show up again at the coliseum. I am going to games again because of the team ON THE ICE. How can you not love this team? I still don't support what ownership is doing because like I said, this is happening despite Wang and his clowns.

Just pisses me off. Fairweather my ass. You really expected people to spend their hard earned cash on everything I just said PLUS a losing team on the ice? Come on. And I can pretty much guarantee "fairweather" fans wouldn't be rocking the coliseum like they have for these 2 playoff games. These are hardcore fans who have been in limbo/hiding for the last few years and I don't know how anyone can blame them for that. I've said it for years... the Islanders fan base never went away, they just went into hibernation.
That's fine Twine. You've got your viewpoint and I've got mine. I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong. I just see it differently.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
That's fine Twine. You've got your viewpoint and I've got mine. I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong. I just see it differently.
That's cool. Just to be clear I wasn't trying to attack you personally although that might have been how it came through. I was speaking in general but I see we have different viewpoints on this. Agree to disagree.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:30 PM
MJF

Quote:
And you're welcome to it. I just stopped wearing hardcore on my sleeve like it was a badge of honor.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
That's cool. Just to be clear I wasn't trying to attack you personally although that might have been how it came through. I was speaking in general but I see we have different viewpoints on this. Agree to disagree.
Yeah, no worries man! I know you're not that type.

And don't get me wrong, I'm glad that the building is filled! I was at Game 3 and it was beyond intense. Game 4 sounded at least as crazy on the television. Saturday should be loud enough to do structural damage! But, I just wish that even 1,500 of these people would show up more frequently. Like even 5 times a year more frequently.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Yeah, no worries man! I know you're not that type.

And don't get me wrong, I'm glad that the building is filled! I was at Game 3 and it was beyond intense. Game 4 sounded at least as crazy on the television. Saturday should be loud enough to do structural damage! But, I just wish that even 1,500 of these people would show up more frequently. Like even 5 times a year more frequently.
That we do agree on. I wish the building would fill up more too. I hate that the building is empty most nights. And while I did give up my seasons, I would STILL go to games... just not as many. I know people who haven't gone to a game in 5 years. And to be honest, THOSE people, I agree are fairweather. THOSE people shouldn't even be allowed in the building for the playoffs if you ask me. I was just in the mindset that most of the people coming out of the woodwork were in my situation. Still fans, but couldn't justify going to 41 home games every year while we pick up Tim Thomas to NOT play and reach the cap floor.

Anyway... Saturday... if we win tonight... holy crap! Couldn't even imagine what that would be like.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:06 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Re: fair weather Isles' fans, I left LI 27 years ago and I seriously thought about buying a single ticket to game 3 or 4 and driving up from outside Philly (family, son's lacrosse game, work, etc. made me get "practical"). Would I have been "fair weather"?

I was motivated partly by winning, but it's more than that. This isn't 2001 or 2007. I finally am seeing a team on the uptick that has players that do the team's history proud. It's JT, Hamonic, Martin, Cizikas and guys like that that have me excited about the team after a LONG period of disgraces to the uniform (even in the rare cases when they were winning).

Remember the very end of "Field of Dreams", when they have the long shot of the field and then pan away and you see headlights lined up for miles heading to the field? That's what the last 2 games have been. It's a lot of diehards coming back (or coming out of their shells and being enthusiastic) because they finally have a team they can root for unabashedly.

You should all enjoy the Isles for their remaining time at NVMC, because it is probably the end of an era not just on LI but in all of hockey (even all of pro sports). I was watching the games thinking it looked a lot like the 70s and 80s, with people there simply because they really wanted to be there to root for their team. No comp tickets or any of that. Just lunatics rooting for their team. That's pretty rare anymore, and things will likely be different at Barclay's. But someday all these underpaid kids are going to want bigger contracts, so comp tickets are a reality that must be faced.

Anyway, at some point I have to get to one game and sit in 122-B-1 before the team leaves. Because I don't care who's been sitting there since the early 80s, that's my ****ing seat.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:06 PM
MJF

Quote:
How about throwing Islander jerseys on the ice after they were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs in 1994 after making the conference finals the year before?

And don't make people out to be so pious. Nothing has changed in regards to the internal management of this team. The players just got better. Wang is still a cheap horrible owner, the building is still old and the team is still moving. If everyone was so tired of taking it, they wouldn't have come running back the second there was a hint of success.
Why shouldn't they come back when there's a hint of success? Should they wait until they win a Stanley Cup?

The Isles have won 2 playoff game so far and look at the reaction. It would look a hell of a lot worse if they didn't get this reception from the fans.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:20 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
The team has turned me off from spending one dime on Cholly. Not one red cent goes to him. Period. Even if they win. I will make a game at NVMC using stub hub or some other already-gave-***hole-my-money-so-here-is-a-ticket site.

Property taxes are heinous. Cost of living horrid. Economy stinks to high hell on LI. So.....no one wants to see cap evasion at the cost of $200 plus for a night out.

but now we're playing VERY strong....and people are chancing spending their hard earned money to see it. This after the Pickett, Gang of Four, Maloney, Muller, Milstein, Gluckstern, Spano, Milbury, Wanger, Snow's a real GM, honest, rushed prospects, dumpster diving, Brutal Gervaise, Tim Thomas, Yashin trade, we're never getting a first liner player, coma every summer, $20 parking sit down and shut up hockey.

And you blame Nassau and Suffolk for feelings going back to Pickett insulting and trading Patty LaFontaine? Seriously?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:31 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
14,442 posts right now, plus posts from when the board was changed over to the new format, plus other message boards, hundreds of arguments, bad, BAD jokes, good friends, loathesome trolls, sunshine optimists and fed up brothers in arms here.....and I have not nor will go to give Wang my money since 2002.

I'm pretty rabid a fan. I just don't subsidize the Wanger or his ideas on cap evasion. I love the fact we're winning DESPITE his antics due to some good fortune and Snow being better than expected. I LOVE our fans being the loudest SOB's and NVMC being lauded by fans and tv comments everywhere when our fanbase shows up.

I suggest we'd have seen more of this if Wang never came along. I suggest at least one fan who lost his hearing Game 4, 2002, now has lost whatever hearing he/she got back these past two games. The fans were always there for the team, they just had better things to do with their time and money because the team was not there for them.

Thank you Tavares & Co.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Re: fair weather Isles' fans, I left LI 27 years ago and I seriously thought about buying a single ticket to game 3 or 4 and driving up from outside Philly (family, son's lacrosse game, work, etc. made me get "practical"). Would I have been "fair weather"?

I was motivated partly by winning, but it's more than that. This isn't 2001 or 2007. I finally am seeing a team on the uptick that has players that do the team's history proud. It's JT, Hamonic, Martin, Cizikas and guys like that that have me excited about the team after a LONG period of disgraces to the uniform (even in the rare cases when they were winning).

Remember the very end of "Field of Dreams", when they have the long shot of the field and then pan away and you see headlights lined up for miles heading to the field? That's what the last 2 games have been. It's a lot of diehards coming back (or coming out of their shells and being enthusiastic) because they finally have a team they can root for unabashedly.

You should all enjoy the Isles for their remaining time at NVMC, because it is probably the end of an era not just on LI but in all of hockey (even all of pro sports). I was watching the games thinking it looked a lot like the 70s and 80s, with people there simply because they really wanted to be there to root for their team. No comp tickets or any of that. Just lunatics rooting for their team. That's pretty rare anymore, and things will likely be different at Barclay's. But someday all these underpaid kids are going to want bigger contracts, so comp tickets are a reality that must be faced.

Anyway, at some point I have to get to one game and sit in 122-B-1 before the team leaves. Because I don't care who's been sitting there since the early 80s, that's my ****ing seat.
As you live around Philly and conceivably can't make the games because of your location, I wouldn't call you fairweather. Winning may have motivated you to take the extra measure to get yourself here to see the success you've been witnessing from a far for the last month, but it's just not practical for you to come to the games at NVMC that often. But, I believe you have posted in the past about seeing the Isles play in Philly. If that's the case, then you've been doing more than a lot of people back here have done for years.

And I must admit, the tailgaiting attraction at NVMC will be missed. It is a fun time and it's a shame that will be lost. On the other hand, there are plenty of bars around Barclays for pre-gaming, so that will have to do.

Last edited by Strummergas: 05-09-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old
05-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
The team has turned me off from spending one dime on Cholly. Not one red cent goes to him. Period. Even if they win. I will make a game at NVMC using stub hub or some other already-gave-***hole-my-money-so-here-is-a-ticket site.

Property taxes are heinous. Cost of living horrid. Economy stinks to high hell on LI. So.....no one wants to see cap evasion at the cost of $200 plus for a night out.

but now we're playing VERY strong....and people are chancing spending their hard earned money to see it. This after the Pickett, Gang of Four, Maloney, Muller, Milstein, Gluckstern, Spano, Milbury, Wanger, Snow's a real GM, honest, rushed prospects, dumpster diving, Brutal Gervaise, Tim Thomas, Yashin trade, we're never getting a first liner player, coma every summer, $20 parking sit down and shut up hockey.

And you blame Nassau and Suffolk for feelings going back to Pickett insulting and trading Patty LaFontaine? Seriously?
Quote:
14,442 posts right now, plus posts from when the board was changed over to the new format, plus other message boards, hundreds of arguments, bad, BAD jokes, good friends, loathesome trolls, sunshine optimists and fed up brothers in arms here.....and I have not nor will go to give Wang my money since 2002.

I'm pretty rabid a fan. I just don't subsidize the Wanger or his ideas on cap evasion. I love the fact we're winning DESPITE his antics due to some good fortune and Snow being better than expected. I LOVE our fans being the loudest SOB's and NVMC being lauded by fans and tv comments everywhere when our fanbase shows up.

I suggest we'd have seen more of this if Wang never came along. I suggest at least one fan who lost his hearing Game 4, 2002, now has lost whatever hearing he/she got back these past two games. The fans were always there for the team, they just had better things to do with their time and money because the team was not there for them.

Thank you Tavares & Co.
You know what, I'm tired of hearing from you on this topic You live across the friggin' country yet constantly ride around on your high horse going on and on about not spending money on the team in protest to Wang. How often are you even in the position to give Wang your money? It must be so bloody easy to walk around Orange County, CA like a ******* saint, feeling so righteous about not paying for entertainment that isn't accessible to you anyway.

It's fine that you don't like the owner. I don't either. Spend your money, don't spend your money, whatever. It's your to do what you want with. But stop coming across as someone who's so sanctimonious when you're not exactly in the position to spend money on the team even if you wanted to.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:05 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
You know what, I'm tired of hearing from you on this topic You live across the friggin' country yet constantly ride around on your high horse going on and on about not spending money on the team in protest to Wang. How often are you even in the position to give Wang your money? It must be so bloody easy to walk around Orange County, CA like a ******* saint, feeling so righteous about not paying for entertainment that isn't accessible to you anyway.

It's fine that you don't like the owner. I don't either. Spend your money, don't spend your money, whatever. It's your to do what you want with. But stop coming across as someone who's so sanctimonious when you're not exactly in the position to spend money on the team even if you wanted to.
aww, shucks. I'm a fake fan and a bandwagoner, then.

I have no right to defend someone who would rather have spent their money on their house and kids these past two decades than subsidize cr*p on ice? I'm in LI to visit family and friends a few times a year every year and refuse to go. Better?

I don't feel righteous or like a saint. I have for YEARS preached the Detroit fan experience, have I not?

Recall: Ilitch bought the team. He looked at 3,000 fans at the Joe going to games with Yzerman and Co. after a long period of bad management and swore to not put out the same cr*p for fans.

He changed the DRW for the fans because fans stopped going.

And you can look back this past decade and my tune did not change one f*ing bit: you speak with your wallets. I think I said, "STOP GOING!" repeatedly and to no avail....and we got Comrie, Thomas, Gorton, misery.....and attendance dropped but not to FU levels I had hoped for.

When fans speak, like the Mike Must Go era, it works.

So call me sanctimonious, an a-hole, whatever.....I love the team and want better. You apparently want to keep fans in the seats, thus, whether you mean it or not, want the status quo. Sorry, if the team does not try, don't pay them to suck.

That's my whole point, a point you repeatedly get angry over, and cite my not being there to waste money 32-35 games a year as your red herring rebuttal.

Last edited by OlTimeHockey: 05-09-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old
05-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
aww, shucks. I'm a fake fan and a bandwagoner, then.

I have no right to defend someone who would rather have spent their money on their house and kids these past two decades than subsidize cr*p on ice? I'm in LI to visit family and friends a few times a year every year and refuse to go. Better?
I never said that you were a fake fan or bandwagoner. All I said was that you being so proud of yourself for not spending cash on the Isles would be more impressive if you didn't live in California.

Again, you can do what you like with your money. I respect whatever choice you make. Just stop trying to get canonized for boycotting Wang when you have little opportunity to support him anyway.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:13 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
I never said that you were a fake fan or bandwagoner. All I said was that you being so proud of yourself for not spending cash on the Isles would be more impressive if you didn't live in California.

Again, you can do what you like with your money. I respect whatever choice you make. Just stop trying to get canonized for boycotting Wang when you have little opportunity to support him anyway.
never tried....I just want others to follow suit if they want change. It's a basic tenet of consumer power. Stop spending and the business must change to survive.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
never tried....I just want others to follow suit if they want change. It's a basic tenet of consumer power. Stop spending and the business must change to survive.
Except that you bring it up at every even remote opportunity. That's my gripe. Do what you like though. I can't stop you from trying to earn a medal anyway.

Old
05-09-2013, 03:14 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Quote:
Except that you bring it up at every even remote opportunity. That's my gripe. Do what you like though. I can't stop you from trying to earn a medal anyway.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:16 PM
OlTimeHockey

So the whole situation disgusts me. I have hope for the future of the team here.

Old
05-09-2013, 03:21 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
As you live around Philly and conceivably can't make the games because of your location, I wouldn't call you fairweather. Winning may have motivated you to take the extra measure to get yourself here to see the success you've been witnessing from a far for the last month, but it's just not practical for you to come to the games at NVMC that often. But, I believe you have posted in the past about seeing the Isles play in Philly. If that's the case, then you've been doing more than a lot of people back here have done for years.

And I must admit, the tailgaiting attraction at NVMC will be missed. It is a fun time and it's a shame that will be lost. On the other hand, there are plenty of bars around Barclays for pre-gaming, so that will have to do.
True, I have gone to many Isles-Flyers games down here, although it's just not the same since I lay pretty low at away games (I think away fans should be seen and not heard - probably the result of a youth dealing with obnoxious NYR fans at NVMC - at least until the dynasty shut them up).

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:22 PM
MJF

Quote:
Extrapolate this out and what do you think the end result would have been? One answer is that Wang would have sold the team to someone who would have moved it, or moved it himself. Then many of the posters on this board would have been ripping you a new one for leading the boycott that drove the Islanders out.

Old
05-09-2013, 03:29 PM
MJF

Quote:

Let's be clear. The ONLY reason they're moving to Brooklyn is because Wang couldn't get an arena deal done in Nassau. Remember Wang was trying to build a new arena in Nassau and Millstein and Gluckstern bought the Isles to develop the land around the Coliseum as well.

Why would they have been trying to build an arena here if there was no one to fill it. Why wouldn't Wang have run to Ratner immediately upon groundbreaking of Barclays 4 years ago if he thought no one would see the Isles in Nassau