HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik, Delisle, Parlett to CBJ for Brassard, Dorsett, Moore and 6th Round Pick

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2013, 12:46 AM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
Meh, I'd trade CBJ Brassard for CBJ Gaborik, Erixon for Moore, and Anisimov + Dubinsky + 1st for Nash. The only piece we lose is Dorsett but honestly you guys know I always hated him. And I'm not just saying that because he got traded. His penalties and yapping really got on my nerves and I hate players that are rats like him and Marchand.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:37 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Meh, I'd trade CBJ Brassard for CBJ Gaborik, Erixon for Moore, and Anisimov + Dubinsky + 1st for Nash. The only piece we lose is Dorsett but honestly you guys know I always hated him. And I'm not just saying that because he got traded. His penalties and yapping really got on my nerves and I hate players that are rats like him and Marchand.
You have me a little confused with "I'd trade brass for gabby, erixon for moore, etc.. " It seems from the tone of your statement that you prefer all the players who are currently Jackets, correct?

Old
05-09-2013, 06:45 AM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Gabby's release ain't what it used to be. Its just damn hard to score 40 without it. I'd be more surprised if Gaborik scored 40 goals than if Brassard hit 70 points.
Gaboriks release is just fine. That old argument has been floating around since he first joined the Rangers. Every time he's been on a drought speculations like that occurs. I would say he was mentally washed up this season. He was used 95% on the LW which he clearly didn't like and didn't adjust to very well. And his relation to Torts obviously wasn't the best.I still don't think swapping the 3rd best scorer in the league from the position he's been playing his whole career makes sense.

And for the time he was still a Ranger, we had the bottom 2 PP in the leauge, which also influenced his stats.

Gaborik doesn't need super skilled line mates to score, scored +40 goals with Prospal and Erik Christensen(!), but he need good brake out passes since his speed is one of his greatest assets. Add a good/decent PP and I could easily see him scoring +40 goals again. Best of luck!

Last edited by Sticky Fingers: 05-09-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old
05-09-2013, 07:47 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
........funny you mention that

I was just coming by because I'm curious. This is a guy who we heard was talented but he didn't have much fanfare and his totals were modest.

I don't know if he's just really hot, but this guy is un****ingbelievable.

Since you guys knew him longer than we do, are you surprised he's been this good, or has he always had untapped potential?
He's capable of being good.

He's also capable of being pretty bad.

That's the problem.

Enjoy the good times.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
You have me a little confused with "I'd trade brass for gabby, erixon for moore, etc.. " It seems from the tone of your statement that you prefer all the players who are currently Jackets, correct?
That is correct. Here, Brassard was a 40 point player and Moore was surpassed by Erixon.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:27 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Gaborik's changed as a player. His shot's declined, as has his speed. The thing is, that's how he scored 40 his first year with the Rangers. Last year, you saw a few snipes or breakaways, but he honestly scored most of his goals as a garbage guy. He probably is top 5 in the league in terms of goal mouth instincts.

I fully expect him to rebound next year, but a lot of that depends on how willing he is to go to the dirty areas. His top speed is still good, but his first few steps aren't nearly as good as they used to be and his wrister has lost a lot of its snap. He's been through a lot of injuries and he's no spring chicken. His success from now on depends on whether he can adjust to not using his physical gifts (he did last year).

It's quite frustrating actually to watch someone like Nash now because if he had Gaborik's current speed and shot, he'd be Ovechkin with a better wrister (no slapper of course to speak of - Nash's shot is pretty average and he has absolutely no slap shot. Gaborik's is better, but not by much). Watching Gaborik's release spoils ya a little bit.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:13 PM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Gaborik's changed as a player. His shot's declined, as has his speed. The thing is, that's how he scored 40 his first year with the Rangers. Last year, you saw a few snipes or breakaways, but he honestly scored most of his goals as a garbage guy. He probably is top 5 in the league in terms of goal mouth instincts.

I fully expect him to rebound next year, but a lot of that depends on how willing he is to go to the dirty areas. His top speed is still good, but his first few steps aren't nearly as good as they used to be and his wrister has lost a lot of its snap. He's been through a lot of injuries and he's no spring chicken. His success from now on depends on whether he can adjust to not using his physical gifts (he did last year).

It's quite frustrating actually to watch someone like Nash now because if he had Gaborik's current speed and shot, he'd be Ovechkin with a better wrister (no slapper of course to speak of - Nash's shot is pretty average and he has absolutely no slap shot. Gaborik's is better, but not by much). Watching Gaborik's release spoils ya a little bit.
Gaborik had quite a few break aways with the jackets, maybe it was the system he was playing in, or possibly the fact that he was not fully healthy, as he just had surgery about a week ago, and maybe his injury gor progressively worse. I gotta say that even if you gave nash, Gaboriks speed, unless he has changed, he would still lack the heart and drive needed to be compared to Ovie. When Nash was in columbus, there were games where he looked dominant, a beast, then other games where he seemed to be loafing, and was merely average. Maybe thats changed since he left our orginization.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Doug19

I disagree with the thoughts on Moore. I don't believe for one second Moore was passed up, he got hurt nothing more. I still think we gave up Murray's futuer top pairing partner, and I don't really care much for the piece we got back, but it is what it is, and there is no going back now.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Johnson View Post
Gaborik had quite a few break aways with the jackets, maybe it was the system he was playing in, or possibly the fact that he was not fully healthy, as he just had surgery about a week ago, and maybe his injury gor progressively worse. I gotta say that even if you gave nash, Gaboriks speed, unless he has changed, he would still lack the heart and drive needed to be compared to Ovie. When Nash was in columbus, there were games where he looked dominant, a beast, then other games where he seemed to be loafing, and was merely average. Maybe thats changed since he left our orginization.
Haha after last night's effort (highlighted in the Around the NHL thread), which has become more and more indicative of Ovechkin's game.

On-topic -- Crede said it best. The Gaborik we saw in a CBJ uniform I'll take every day over the Brassard we saw in a CBJ uniform.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

I couldn't help but laugh when I read some Rangers' jocksniffer post that the Gaborik trade reminded him of the Yashin trade. That joker actually thinks that John Moore will turn out as good as Zdeno Chara and Derick Friggin' Brassard will turn out as good as Jason Spezza.

Really.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:42 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I disagree with the thoughts on Moore. I don't believe for one second Moore was passed up, he got hurt nothing more. I still think we gave up Murray's futuer top pairing partner, and I don't really care much for the piece we got back, but it is what it is, and there is no going back now.
It gave guys like Erixon and Prout a shot and they did player better than Moore did. Regardless of ceiling I think you were only partially accurate. I'm not sure if Moore is going to peak as a 1/2, even with his improved play I haven't seen a 25 minute a guy yet. But, of course, time will tell.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:46 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
I couldn't help but laugh when I read some Rangers' jocksniffer post that the Gaborik trade reminded him of the Yashin trade. That joker actually thinks that John Moore will turn out as good as Zdeno Chara and Derick Friggin' Brassard will turn out as good as Jason Spezza.

Really.
As Jackets fans, we've learned the dangers of small sample size. The comparisons are shocking on only lead to unrealistic expectations that then lead to whipping boys. In New York, being a whipping boy is different than a whipping boy in Columbus. Brassard has been a bit fragile, mentally, in the past. He's on right now, we have to see what happens when his is slumping. He has had a tendency to spiral into oblivion. But Spezza and Chara? Wow. Brassard will probably never take 200 shots on goal in order to get close to 30 goals. I could certainly see him racking up some assists. Won't even say anything about Chara. There is only one Chara. Luckily for the Jackets he's 36 and might only have 8 more dominant years left in him... :p

These 70 points numbers that they throw out for Brassard just don't resonate with me. 40 assists is probably about right, so maybe a 20/40 guy. But then again that is what I've been hoping for, for years now.

The one I worry about a bit is Dorse. I actually like him and I have no idea how he is going to be treated by the coaching staff over there. Columbus groomed him and was extremely patient with him.

Last edited by blahblah: 05-09-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old
05-09-2013, 01:31 PM
NYRCSKA*

Honestly, I don't think there was a winner or loser in this trade. Brassard needed a change of scenery as did Gaborik. Gaborik was not going to achieve well again in a Rangers uniform. That being said, Moore has been absolutely phenomenal though. Small sample size, but I can never tell if it's Moore or McTruck out there.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:08 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Let's just be candid for a minute. Brassard and Dorsett are gone because they were among the last of the old guard - the culture of losing we've been so desperate to get rid of. Brassard was rumored for his lack of hard work and sacrifice. Dorsett for his stupid plays and penalties at the worst times. Moore doesn't fit this narrative. He was simply expendable because of the emergence of Erixon and Prout - along with the drafting of Murray.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:01 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Let's just be candid for a minute. Brassard and Dorsett are gone because they were among the last of the old guard - the culture of losing we've been so desperate to get rid of. Brassard was rumored for his lack of hard work and sacrifice. Dorsett for his stupid plays and penalties at the worst times. Moore doesn't fit this narrative. He was simply expendable because of the emergence of Erixon and Prout - along with the drafting of Murray.
That no more "candid" than any of the other ideas proposed for why the trade may have been made. We'll probably never know if any of that was a factor.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:25 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post

Gaborik doesn't need super skilled line mates to score, scored +40 goals with Prospal and Erik Christensen(!), but he need good break out passes since his speed is one of his greatest assets. Add a good/decent PP and I could easily see him scoring +40 goals again. Best of luck!
This is what Ryan Murray is known for. I cant wait to see him connect tape to tape to Gabs for a snipshow.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
This is what Ryan Murray is known for. I cant wait to see him connect tape to tape to Gabs for a snipshow.
Hopefully once Murray laces them up then Ranger fans will understand why the Jackets were OK with moving Moore.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Isn't this what trades are supposed to do? Help both teams? I think the trade did that.

I look for Gabby to turn it back on next season, and would expect Brass, Moore, and Dorse to continue to pitch in to help the Rags.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:30 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Maybe. We'll see if Tyutin, Umberger, and Boll stay.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Questionable trade. I don't miss Brassard at all, or Dorsett. Only issue for me is that Gaborik is invisible most games. Plus there's the fear that his lack of work ethic will start to effect the rest of the team that played hard every minute of every game.

Old
05-09-2013, 06:04 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Questionable trade. I don't miss Brassard at all, or Dorsett. Only issue for me is that Gaborik is invisible most games. Plus there's the fear that his lack of work ethic will start to effect the rest of the team that played hard every minute of every game.
its a little early to say that. Who knows how long he was playing injured. When you're playing injured its not possible to give it 100% all the time, off and on the ice. From everything I've heard everything should be okay. But we wont really know until we see him on the ice so. Between him potentially being at 100% and Murray being in the lineup and at 100% I think we'll see a little bit more of an offensive team next season. Cam, Matty, Johansen, Prout, and Murray are all poised and have the potential to have a breakout season next year.

Old
05-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I never once saw top-pairing potential in John Moore. He could skate, but lacked offensive skill and defensively he was solid, but nothing more. He could always develop further but the player we traded was a 4-6 defenseman.

Old
05-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Letestu View Post
I never once saw top-pairing potential in John Moore. He could skate, but lacked offensive skill and defensively he was solid, but nothing more. He could always develop further but the player we traded was a 4-6 defenseman.
I disagree. I saw a guy who was poised with the puck, was solid defensively, and didn't have a clue yet how to play in the offensive zone. He was a great passer, and it's not like he isn't going to continue to develop. I have very little doubt that we gave up a future #2 defender.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Xoggz22

I realize a Ranger fan brought this trade up again but the reality is it looks like a good move for both teams. Same as it did at the deadline in my opinion. Moore is a 2nd pair guy who probably gets minutes like Tyutin (but a better skater), Dorsett probably gets benched again next year by Torts because of stupid penalties (See Boyle) and if Brass plays higher in the Rangers lineup he'll be in trouble. He's getting really good 3rd line matchups and with his vision and skill he's a benefit there. He's also a very, very good PP guy. Has the skill, just not the complete game. maybe he gets it in NY. We really didn't see it for any extended period here and if Scott "pile on" Arniel benches him what will Torts do?

Gaborik needs to be a 30 goal guy next year or better and create the mismatches for lower in the CBJ lineup. He may not get the points but if he gets any respect, it makes the rest of the team better. If could be another very good year next year.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:35 PM
General Jacket70

Best part about this trade and the Nash trade is that next year and for the foreseeable future these teams will play each other a lot! That's going to be fun to watch and fun to analyse. . . .

Closed Thread