HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What would we look like without Ribeiro

Old
09-24-2006, 04:38 PM
rocco

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFanFromPEI View Post
Latendresse-Ribs-Kovy might be a little too slow and they are not good on defense. But you cant have everything perfect so its worth a shot. And 3.5 mil player on the third line?
Does a Sammy - Ribs - Kovy line is better on defense? I don't think so. So let's try and see what those lines can give us. If they bring us victory and exciting hockey, I'm all for it.

rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 05:36 PM
SergeiKost99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
3.5m player on the 3rd makes more sense than a 2.4m player on the 4th doesn't it? Who cares how the money is spread around as long as we win games.
Im looking at the long-term effect of this and how this will cause inflation. I maybe thinking too much into this but you have to look at players salaries now and what they potentially could be later. Ryder and Higgins imo are going to have breakout seasons this year, i don't know how long higgins is signed for but he will command more money and ryder for sure will get more money next year if he has a big year. Then if Ribs sucks, we need to get a good center in the off-season so it will cost money so at least 4 million. And if lats has a big year he might want a raise too if he signs one year deal this year assuming he makes the team and plays second line. Then you have Johnson who is going to be making more than he is making now and by the way he is playing in pre-season we might have to keep him. Then what i am trying to get at is sammy at 3.5 on the third line. Plus you know our situation on defense.

lol i thinking im over-reacting here but when you think about it, all Gainey did was get two third line players over the summer, how does this make us better? I know sammy will get pp time but i guess if they are giving roughly equal amount of ice time to all three lines i wont mind it much. Dont start flamming me, its just my opinion, if carbo is gonna roll 3 lines with equal ice time , im alright with it.

SergeiKost99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 07:24 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Quote:
Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Latendresse - Ribeiro - Kovalev
Samsonov - Plekanec - Johnson
Begin - Bonk - Zhogin/Murray/Ferland
this line combonation is by far my favorite. there was talk before of creating a 1a and 1b line (the koivu line and ribs line)... but with 3 lines like this, hypethetically that could give us 2-3 lines with excellent scoring efficiency. and the fourth line looks pretty solid too.

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 08:52 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Latendresse...the Dagenais we should of had...

Having seen Hg-Ku-Ry play last night in such an explosive manner is really reassuring. Ryder look like he gulped a case of RedBull...

Putting Lats-Ribs-Kovy together....dunno...the ingredients are there...but I have a bad feeling.

Figuring Samy with Pleks...i'm crossing my fingers on that one. I think it would be a great move especially if you put size on the RW. Unfortunatly, Johnson has size but isn't a physical player. Don't get me wrong I'm impressed with his play.

I wonder how Kostitsyn would fare with Samy and Pleks?

bg-bk-Mu is proven. Still, for a bit more savvy I'd try Johnson on the RW.

What happens with Perez? Will have to make up our mind eventually between Perez or Kosts. They can't both stay in MTL.

We have too much dept and promising talent...we will have to trade. And with 30 goals....Ryder ain't going nowhere...

And I'd keep Lapierre so that he may learn from Bonk...Bonk won't come back after this season, not at that salary...Take Bonk's salary add it to Markov's...he won't become a UFA with such a salary proposition.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 09:13 PM
paddy

Well, I called it before camp... Samsonov and Kovalev are not a good match.

I like those lines, but somebody has to go 'cause there's too many players if you keep Latendresse and Kost. Either a trade, or Kost and/or Lats have to be sent down.

I have a strong feeling Lats makes the team this year, and that he'll be alternating on lines 2 and 4, with some PP time.

An alternate lineup I could see...

Higgins - Koivu - Kovalev
Lats/Samsonov - Ribs - Ryder
Samsonov/Perez - Pleks - Johnson
Begin - Bonk - Lats/Murray

Although I'd like to try the lines of the original poster... and I think Carbo will do that as well...

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 09:14 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabs View Post
Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Latendresse - Ribeiro - Kovalev
Samsonov - Plekanec - Johnson
Begin - Bonk - Zhogin/Murray/Ferland
I mostly like these lines because Ryder, Kovy and Sammy eat too much puck and need their own lines. I also heartily agree that Latendresse has earned his spot and that he has to play on a scoring line, not the fourth line.

I'm skeptical about Ribeiro and I don't like your third line...no grit whatsoever. We are going to keep Ribeiro because Bonk will be gone next year.

I would do this:

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder (can't mess with success)
Ribeiro - Bonk - Kovalev
Samsonov - Plekanec - Latendresse/Perezhogin
Begin - Murray - Johnson

I don't believe Kostitsyn is ready at all. Hamilton my boy.

Why did we trade for Bonk if we aren't going to put him on a scoring line? He played well in the playoffs and has been hustling and hitting (!) in the preseason. Also, he would complement Kovy well. Remember the Bonk-Hossa combo where Bonk just gave Hossa the puck and then dug it out along the wall. Let's try that again here.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I'd rather play Guess Who.
That was a fun game. Maybe after that we could play some Where in the World is Carmen Santiago?

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 09:35 PM
paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
I mostly like these lines because Ryder, Kovy and Sammy eat too much puck and need their own lines. I also heartily agree that Latendresse has earned his spot and that he has to play on a scoring line, not the fourth line.

I'm skeptical about Ribeiro and I don't like your third line...no grit whatsoever. We are going to keep Ribeiro because Bonk will be gone next year.

I would do this:

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder (can't mess with success)
Ribeiro - Bonk - Kovalev
Samsonov - Plekanec - Latendresse/Perezhogin
Begin - Murray - Johnson

I don't believe Kostitsyn is ready at all. Hamilton my boy.

Why did we trade for Bonk if we aren't going to put him on a scoring line? He played well in the playoffs and has been hustling and hitting (!) in the preseason. Also, he would complement Kovy well. Remember the Bonk-Hossa combo where Bonk just gave Hossa the puck and then dug it out along the wall. Let's try that again here.
Higgins & Koivu = success. With Ryder = only PP success. IMO the line can be better with Kovalev.

Ribeiro-Bonk-Kovalev: Ribeiro on left wing? don't think that would work well. Not enough speed and grit on the wing. That would be one slow line.

I'd be willing to give Mikey Ribs one last chance until December, then if he doesn't do well, he must be traded. The fact that Bonk will be gone at the end of the year is not a problem. There are always trades, UFA, and prospects like Chipchura and Grabovski.

I'm willing to give Perez a chance to shine, but I wouldn't mind seeing him packaged in a trade if the right deal came along. Too many prospects so we need to trade some eventually.

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 10:44 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Higgins & Koivu = success. With Ryder = only PP success. IMO the line can be better with Kovalev.

Ribeiro-Bonk-Kovalev: Ribeiro on left wing? don't think that would work well. Not enough speed and grit on the wing. That would be one slow line.

I'd be willing to give Mikey Ribs one last chance until December, then if he doesn't do well, he must be traded. The fact that Bonk will be gone at the end of the year is not a problem. There are always trades, UFA, and prospects like Chipchura and Grabovski.

I'm willing to give Perez a chance to shine, but I wouldn't mind seeing him packaged in a trade if the right deal came along. Too many prospects so we need to trade some eventually.
Ribeiro always seems to be on the left boards or in the corner anyway. Bonk could come over and help him out and give him the puck so he could set up Kovy.

Assuming Bonk hustles on a line like this, it would improve our faceoffs and defensive presence also.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
That was a fun game. Maybe after that we could play some Where in the World is Carmen Santiago?
Thanks. Now I've got the theme song in my head from the PBS spinoff of the computer game.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco View Post
True I forgot Markov...
I just feel we should give Samsonov some time if we put him on the third line with Pleks and Johnson. After all, we pay him 3,5M and he can very useful on the PP.
auto-diss

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Sthabs

I d just like to precise that carbo never said he d put up these lines, the author did
I also think that Latendress should make the team this year simply because we can t afford not to have someone that goes in front of the net and in the corners.

As for the lines these is just too many combinations yet...

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Talent Analyst

I prefer mine :

Higgins-Koivu-Samsonov
Latendresse-Johnson-Kovalev
Kostitsyn-Plekanek-Ryder
Perezhogin-Bonk-Begin

PP 1 :

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Markov-Rivet

PP2 :

Latendresse/Kost/Perez-Johnson-Samsonov
Souray-Kovalev

It will have a fight in the LW between Perez/Lats/Kost . It will push them to got ice time and I think its a good thing with the Carbo mind .

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Sthabs

I really like these lines TA
ps why Samsonov instead of Ryder?

Old
09-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
I prefer mine :

Higgins-Koivu-Samsonov
Latendresse-Johnson-Kovalev
Kostitsyn-Plekanek-Ryder
Perezhogin-Bonk-Begin

PP 1 :

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Markov-Rivet

PP2 :

Latendresse/Kost/Perez-Johnson-Samsonov
Souray-Kovalev

It will have a fight in the LW between Perez/Lats/Kost . It will push them to got ice time and I think its a good thing with the Carbo mind .
1st) Carbs won't break up the Koivu line 2nd) Ribs won't be cut/traded/waived till we find an adequate replacement. Johnson's done good so far on the wing, and I don't think he'll be tried at C till someone either goes on a cold streak or is injured.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
I really like these lines TA
ps why Samsonov instead of Ryder?
Higgins and Koivu are really fast , Ryder not . Samsonov are very fast and very intelligent on the ice . It will put pressure off on Koivu , Sammy is also a playmaker who will help Koivu to have more goal . Ryder will not made Koivu to have more goal .. assist yes , but not goal . Samsonov is a hard worker , same has Higgins and Koivu . Quiet small line , but an heart missing aren't there . In Defencive level , Higgins and Koivu already play hard in they own zone and Sammy will follow for sure .

As for Latendresse-Johnson-Kovalev , with the addition of Johnson in that line , it way better in defencive and in the speed level . Johnson is a playmaker and with Tender and Kovalev , it will be a BIG , scoring line .

Kostitsyn-Plekanek-Ryder , Carbo say that Pleky will need to contribute more in offencive . Kost and Ryder are two offencive player . Plekanek is a playmaker who can score and will have some assist with Kost and Ryder and will put goal with Kost passing ability (who I think underrated) . Not a Elite line , but a very good 3rd line .

Perezhogin-Bonk-Begin , Perezhogin will add offencive upside and Bonk is a quiet good playmaker and will finally got a better goal scorer than Murray . Perezhogin will learn how to put bodychek regulary and play defencive .

Carbo say that he want 4 line who can score , in that line we have it ! And in the 4 line , it have at least 1 player who can play well defencively .

And as for Ribeiro cut / waive / trade , I really think that Carbo want it . He's really not the Carbo type of player . And I really prefer see Lats and Kost in the lineup than Ribeiro .

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Sthabs

what about
Higs koivu ryder
lats Ribs Kovalev
Johnson Plek Samso
begin bonk Perez

altough i really like that kost Plek Ryder line
Plek and Kost also likes to carry the puck in the o zone and setup someone, perfect for Ryder

we have so many options ...

Old
09-25-2006, 05:21 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Samsonov is not a third line player. He will be on the second line with Kovy no matter what unless they move him up to try him out with Koivu.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 09:24 AM
knuckles3030

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Samsonov is not a third line player. He will be on the second line with Kovy no matter what unless they move him up to try him out with Koivu.
Again, there are no such thing as a traditional checking third line anymore. All three lines will get equal even-strength icetime. We roll 3 offensive lines. Sammy will get PP time even though he plays on the "third" line.

knuckles3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 10:56 AM
bayrider

I've been an advocate of getting Ribeiro since uhm... '04

Anyways, I still think we're solid without him, and maybe even better:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Kostitsyn/Perezhogin/Latendresse-Plekanec-Kovalev <---I think Perez & Kosty has better chemistry with those 2 (esp. Perez. Think early last season)
Samsonov-Johnson-Perez/Kosty/Lats
Begin-Bonk-Murray/Downey/Lappierre

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote