HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

#3 Overall Pick + for a #1 Defenseman

Old
05-09-2013, 03:36 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Cool, we need Barkov at that spot. He's my favorite forward in this draft. I think we'd pass on Drouin even though he's likely the most talented forward available. Nicushkin could be available at 6 if Nashville passes on him. Obviously we'd need to wait to see how it played out because if by some miracle Barkov was available at 6 I wouldn't do it.
It's interesting how every team has different needs and all the top 5 could be shifted in some way to fill them. I think it's safe to assume Jones goes #1 and Mac #2, but after that it gets interesting. Preds fans have now convinced themselves Barkov is who they need since he's a natural C, but Drouin is rated as a higher octane forward with more potential.

Not so sure if a draft and trade scenario would work then, since there are just too many variables. Basically, Tampa needs to walk out of this draft with one of Drouin or Nichushkin.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:09 PM
hfgreg
Obviously...

Ain't no way guys, too many if's. Good thought given our intrigue with Nichushkin but there would be no way we also give our #33 with this package.

hfgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Nolan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
This deal would look very bad for us if we could not extend Pavelski. I love Pavelski as a player as he raises the bar in high pressure situations, is excellent on face-offs, has some physicality/toughness and is a great two-way player.

However, with Vinny under contract until the end of time basically, there's no way we could also fit Pavs into our pay structure (we have a lot of kids that need to be re-signed in the coming years). Braun, SJ's 1st and 2nd would not be enough for the 3rd overall (if Pavs was not re-signed). We'd rather keep the pick and have a potentially elite player at a 3 year entry level contract that would allow us to stay under the salary cap.
Fair enough. I can see you not willing to risk #3 for 1-year of Pavelski. If we signed and traded him (say with a 5 year extension at 5.75 M cap), his value would be too high for Purcell and 3rd overall, so that would not fly either. Your GM would have to be willing to roll the dice, and I can see why they might not want that.

Nolan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfgreg View Post
Ain't no way guys, too many if's. Good thought given our intrigue with Nichushkin but there would be no way we also give our #33 with this package.
I'd definitely want the second rounder included. Giordano or Brodie are too good to move out to move up 3 spots in the draft. Especially since a player like Monahan, Lindholm, Nicushkin or Barkov will be available at our spot. I'd like the guarantee of Barkov, but not at the price of Giordano if we aren't getting an early 2nd back. Top pairing defensemen are tough to find and we really only have one right now, with Brodie being a possibility.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:46 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
I'd definitely want the second rounder included. Giordano or Brodie are too good to move out to move up 3 spots in the draft. Especially since a player like Monahan, Lindholm, Nicushkin or Barkov will be available at our spot. I'd like the guarantee of Barkov, but not at the price of Giordano if we aren't getting an early 2nd back. Top pairing defensemen are tough to find and we really only have one right now, with Brodie being a possibility.
Agreed on Giordano or Brodie not being included if our 2nd rounder was not going the other way. In order to entice us out of moving from #3 to #6, we'd need to know Nuchushkin would still be available and receive either Pitt's or Stl's 1st round pick as well. That's just how highly we value the 3rd overall pick this year.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Agreed on Giordano or Brodie not being included if our 2nd rounder was not going the other way. In order to entice us out of moving from #3 to #6, we'd need to know Nuchushkin would still be available and receive either Pitt's or Stl's 1st round pick as well. That's just how highly we value the 3rd overall pick this year.
Oh, I wouldn't include the Pens or Blues pick of Giordano or Brodie was on the table. Just to clarify, my proposal is this:

To Cgy:

3rd overall
33rd overall

To Tampa:

Your choice of Giordano or Brodie
6th overall
Cgy 4th rd. pick #96

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Nolan11

Not sure how other sharks fans will take this one, or even how I feel about it.

Vlasic for your 3rd overall?

He is a true top pairing stud of a defensive D man, mid-20s who just signed a really cap friendly 5 year extension.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:09 PM
hfgreg
Obviously...

Quote:
Oh, I wouldn't include the Pens or Blues pick of Giordano or Brodie was on the table. Just to clarify, my proposal is this:

To Cgy:

3rd overall
33rd overall

To Tampa:

6th overall
Cgy 4th rd. pick #96
Dead in the water.. A potential deal would not include the 2nd rounder and would have you taking some one off active roster as a dump.. just how it is.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:20 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:

To Cgy:

3rd overall
33rd overall

To Tampa:

6th overall
Cgy 4th rd. pick #96
No, I was saying if we were to only deal picks, we'd need another first round in addition to your 6th overall pick (or at least a 2nd rounder) to budge.

Giordano is completely separate from the deal I was referring to.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:22 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan11 View Post
Not sure how other sharks fans will take this one, or even how I feel about it.

Vlasic for your 3rd overall?

He is a true top pairing stud of a defensive D man, mid-20s who just signed a really cap friendly 5 year extension.
No to Vlasic, he's not even a top pairing defenseman in my eyes. #3 overall could turn out to be an elite player, why would we trade it for a good to maybe very good player?

Old
05-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Nolan11

Quote:
No to Vlasic, he's not even a top pairing defenseman in my eyes. #3 overall could turn out to be an elite player, why would we trade it for a good to maybe very good player?
Guess we live too many time zones apart. Vlasic is clearly a top pairing D, one of the best shut down defensemen playing today. Top competition. No worries, Vlasic is not the PMD #1 D-man you want.

Old
05-09-2013, 06:02 PM
hfgreg
Obviously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan11 View Post
Guess we live too many time zones apart. Vlasic is clearly a top pairing D, one of the best shut down defensemen playing today. Top competition. No worries, Vlasic is not the PMD #1 D-man you want.
I agree with you.. He is a top pairing dman I would be interested in.. but not for the 3rd overall.

Old
05-09-2013, 06:10 PM
tmack224

What about something around Ehrhoff? The Sabres are in rebuild. He's a number 1 defenseman. I don't see them trading him but maybe?

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 06:57 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
What about something around Ehrhoff? The Sabres are in rebuild. He's a number 1 defenseman. I don't see them trading him but maybe?
I hope you weren't serious. We had the chance to pursue Ehrhoff when he became a free agent and we gladly passed. I don't think he's a #1 dman either and would not significantly improve our team.

Old
05-09-2013, 07:15 PM
StringerBell

Wouldn't it just make more sense to list the small handful of players you would be willing to trade the pick for? Then we can realize that none of them would be available and there's no deal to be made so we can close this thread (half sarcasm).

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:21 PM
tmack224

Quote:
I hope you weren't serious. We had the chance to pursue Ehrhoff when he became a free agent and we gladly passed. I don't think he's a #1 dman either and would not significantly improve our team.
Lol. I love when people talk about a player without knowing what they are talking about. Ehrhoff is a number 1 defenseman. And on a cap friendly contract.

Old
05-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Ignore the guy who says Vlasic and Ehrhoff aren't top pairing #1 D, they are, and the value is there (though i'd probably want ehrhoff +). But I wouldn't do either deal simply because Drouin is the next St. Louis, and Tampa needs a St. Louis for Stamkos. Vlasic is definitely tempting, but I'd rather have Drouin. We might do something like Lecavalier or St. Louis for Vlasic + though. Or just Lecavalier straight up (not that SJ need him, and it would probably take him + anyways)

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:19 PM
tmack224

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelanstorm View Post
Ignore the guy who says Vlasic and Ehrhoff aren't top pairing #1 D, they are, and the value is there (though i'd probably want ehrhoff +). But I wouldn't do either deal simply because Drouin is the next St. Louis, and Tampa needs a St. Louis for Stamkos. Vlasic is definitely tempting, but I'd rather have Drouin. We might do something like Lecavalier or St. Louis for Vlasic + though. Or just Lecavalier straight up (not that SJ need him, and it would probably take him + anyways)
Yeah the Sabres would add. I wouldn't trade any of the top 3 picks. Stamkos and Drouin together will be awesome.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:27 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelanstorm View Post
They may be #1 d by default, but what leads you to believe they actually are #1 defensemen? Because, simply put for lack of a better phrase, you are not going to win a cup if they are your best defenseman. Top pairing dman is entirely different from a #1 defenseman.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:28 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
#3 overall to Columbus for Ryan Murray?
Value wise that is a good trade, but no way would I trade Murray for Drouin.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:42 PM
tmack224

Quote:
They may be #1 d by default, but what leads you to believe they actually are #1 defensemen? Because, simply put for lack of a better phrase, you are not going to win a cup if they are your best defenseman. Top pairing dman is entirely different from a #1 defenseman.
Lol I get it you don't have a clue who these guys are. Take a minute and watch them play before talking about them. Ehrhoff is a true number 1 defenseman and would be the top defenseman on a lot of teams.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:52 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
Lol I get it you don't have a clue who these guys are. Take a minute and watch them play before talking about them. Ehrhoff is a true number 1 defenseman and would be the top defenseman on a lot of teams.
Lol I love it when people overrate their own players. Who in their right mind would trade the next Pat Kane for Ehrhoff? I lived in Vancouver for two years and saw him play game in and out, he's a good defenseman but it no way is he worth the 3rd overall pick this year.

"A cap friendly contract"...that goes until 2021. What a joke, keep your own mistake in Buffalo.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:58 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Wouldn't it just make more sense to list the small handful of players you would be willing to trade the pick for? Then we can realize that none of them would be available and there's no deal to be made so we can close this thread (half sarcasm).
I've been wondering the same thing for a while. None of these trades are close aside from the Calgary one. People are acting as if we need to trade the pick, when in reality it's simply to justify making their own teams better and handicapping ours.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Cool Hand Luke

Phaneuf + Colborne

for

3rd overall + Salary (Salo?)

Any takers?

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Leafs Win The Cup

Jake Gardiner + 2nd 2013

He's young, good puck mover, can QB a Powerplay and fits age wise with the current core of tampa bay

Leafs Win The Cup is offline   Reply With Quote