HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: What WILL Mac-T do with the pick?

View Poll Results: What will the Oilers do with the pick?
Stay at #7 127 46.01%
Move up 26 9.42%
Move down 22 7.97%
Trade it for immediate help 101 36.59%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Toydarian

vCash: 500
Kesler is primarily a goal scorer who struggles to utilize his wingers well. Considering the Oilers have top wingers, it sounds like a bad combo.

It also doesn't help that he's such a d-bag and a diver.

Old
05-09-2013, 03:16 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
From this article. http://oilersnation.com/2013/5/9/oil...ges-to-compete

Gregor is asking fans if they would do the following deals.

MPS and 7OV for Ryan Kesler
MPS and 7OV for Bobby Ryan
MPS and 7OV for Wayne Simmonds (adds that the flyers would prob have to add)

I think all three of these deals are no brainers from Edmonton's point of view.

Than he goes on to say that penguins might need to shed salary so they will be looking to trade Paul Martin, as well as the caps with Brooks Laich.

He brings up Scott Howson's CBJ connection for acquirring Jack Johnson as well.

Thoughts?

I would like all these players on my team, I kind of see Bobby Ryan being redundant though..
No thanks to Kesler, We don't need whiners/divers on this team, I doubt the Canucks would trade him here anyway.

I would love any of the other players though.

Old
05-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Lacaar

I wouldn't mind pursuing Paul Martin. Not with the 7th overall, he's just not consistent enough for that.

One of the seconds though and maybe one of our b prospects.(pretty much any prospect other than Klefbom and perhaps Marincin and the coke machines)

Old
05-09-2013, 03:26 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
I wouldn't mind pursuing Paul Martin. Not with the 7th overall, he's just not consistent enough for that.

One of the seconds though and maybe one of our b prospects.(pretty much any prospect other than Klefbom and perhaps Marincin and the coke machines)
I would assume that's what it would take. I would be happy with a deal like that.

Trade market actually looks favourable this summer with a lot of teams looking to shed salary. Might be some pretty good bargains out there.

Old
05-09-2013, 03:32 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Johnny Oduya was an ECHL quality d-man according to Jets fans.
It's honestly weird how much his game has changed over the course of the lockout. He looks very comfortable playing the tough minutes alongside Hjalmarsson or Keith/Seabrook when he's on the ice.

And he didn't do anything special for the lockout either - he was playing on a traveling ice hockey team full of ex-pats out in Thailand. Weird huh?

Old
05-09-2013, 03:34 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:

Than he goes on to say that penguins might need to shed salary so they will be looking to trade Paul Martin, as well as the caps with Brooks Laich.

Thoughts?

I would like all these players on my team, I kind of see Bobby Ryan being redundant though..
Yes to the first 2, "meh" to the 3rd. Simmonds isn't a difference-maker the way Kes/Ryan are.

Old
05-09-2013, 03:34 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Hemsky for Umberger has been proposed here a few times ... would be a decent but expensive pickup IMO..
That's a heavy commitment on a guy arguably on the downslope of his career. Keep in mind RNH/Yak are due for extensions over the course of his contract as well.

Old
05-09-2013, 03:58 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
What do people think about trying to acquiring RJ Umberger?

6'2", 220lbs rugged LW with the ability to play centre if needed, 20G, 40/50Pts a year, solid defensively.

He has 4 years left at $4.6M left on his contract and has a NTC, but for discussions sake, say he waives it.

Seems like he'd be a perfect fit.
If they retain some salary, I'd have interest, but not at full price. His cap hit is too high for that kind of term. At $4.6M, he's overpaid, but at $3.5M, he'd be a nice fit IMO.

05-09-2013, 03:59 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Kesler i'd do in a second if he was healthy. He's had constant injuries the last 2 years though, so I don't see how gambling 2 huge assets on him is worth it.

No chance I give that for Ryan. The last thing the oilers need is to spend their best assets on another non-physical winger.

Simmonds i'd love to add but not at the expense of 7th+MPS. We simply can't use those assets on wingers. We need a centre first, and D.

If we're dealing with Philly, I want the Schenns but that would likely cost Petry+7th+++

Old
05-09-2013, 04:03 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:

Thoughts?

If the Flyers would add, why are we including MPS in the first place? Either way, I do like Simmonds, but he's not someone I'd give up 7OV for.

Kesler and Ryan are worth the price. I hate the guy, but Kesler exactly the kind of hockey our team (every team, in fact) needs. Ryan doesn't fill the same need as Kesler, but the value is definitely too much to ignore.

I have absolutely zero interest in Jack Johnson, however.

Last edited by misfit: 05-09-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old
05-09-2013, 04:26 PM
doubledown99

Bob Stauffer said during the season that Det would love to get their hands on some of our Swedish prospects.

I know Det fans were against a Paajarvi for Smith swap. I think with the play of Dekeyser Smith maybe could become available.

Smith is LHD, puck mover so he fits our needs. He didn't breakout like some expected but he might be a worthwhile risk.

Paajarvi + Omark
for
B. Smith

Two other moves if like to see:

Gagner + Klefbom
for
Alzner

7th overall + Hemsky
for
5th overall

Sign Gordon, Bickell,Torres, Scuderi, Tim Thomas, Hendricks, Volpatti.

Torres-Nuge-Ebs
Hall-Gordon-Yak
Bickell-Horc-UFA
Volpatti-Hendricks-Brown

Alzner-JS
Smid-Petry
Smith-Scuderi

Dubs & TT

Last edited by doubledown99: 05-09-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old
05-09-2013, 04:33 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Kesler i'd do in a second if he was healthy. He's had constant injuries the last 2 years though, so I don't see how gambling 2 huge assets on him is worth it.

No chance I give that for Ryan. The last thing the oilers need is to spend their best assets on another non-physical winger.

Simmonds i'd love to add but not at the expense of 7th+MPS. We simply can't use those assets on wingers. We need a centre first, and D.

If we're dealing with Philly, I want the Schenns but that would likely cost Petry+7th+++

Bobby Ryan is 3rd amongst the Ducks' forwards in hits. He has about 20 more than the highest Oilers forward

Old
05-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post

Bobby Ryan is 3rd amongst the Ducks' forwards in hits. He has about 20 more than the highest Oilers forward
Maybe, but that ASSUMES those hits are counted the same everywhere.

I remember a playoff series, long ago, where Ville Neiminen(sp) got 13 hits in one game in SJ, and barely got that many the rest of the series.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Kesler is a risk with all his major injuries, definitely a 2nd line center type the Oilers could use though. Don't see why Vancouver moves him.

Bobby Ryan is a UFA soon, and has made it known that he wants to play out east. Trading long term assets for short term returns becomes an issue, and i suspect the long rumored deal of Coutiurer for Ryan goes through this offseason anyways.

Wayne Simmons is a decent player, can't help but think it's an overpay for a player who's value is sky high right now though.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:40 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Bob Stauffer said during the season that Det would love to get their hands on some of our Swedish prospects.

I know Det fans were against a Paajarvi for Smith swap. I think with the play of Dekeyser Smith maybe could become available.

Smith is LHD, puck mover so he fits our needs. He didn't breakout like some expected but he might be a worthwhile risk.

Paajarvi + Omark
for
B. Smith

Gagner + Klefbom
for
Alzner

7th overall + Hemsky
for
5th overall

Torres-Nuge-Ebs
Hall-Gordon-Yak
Bickell-Horc-UFA
Volpatti-Hendricks-Brown

Alzner-JS
Smid-Petry
Smith-Scuderi

Dubs & TT
That d is alright but the forwards are horrendous.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:43 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:

Paajarvi + Omark
for
B. Smith
DRW doesn't do that. B. Smith is approaching top-4 status on that team already. Dekeyser doesn't make him expendable whatsoever, as he's not leaned on in an offensive role like Smith at all.
Holland starts LOLing and hangs up the phone.

Equivalent Counter proposal:

Nyquist + Mursak
for
J. Schultz

Quote:

Gagner + Klefbom
for
Alzner

Overpay much? You're either severely overrating Alzner or massively undervaluing one of Gagner/Klefbom here. Sure am glad you're not the GM.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Qrispy

Quote:

Paajarvi + Omark
for
B. Smith

Gagner + Klefbom
for
Alzner

7th overall + Hemsky
for
5th overall

Torres-Nuge-Ebs
Hall-Gordon-Yak
Bickell-Horc-UFA
Volpatti-Hendricks-Brown

Alzner-JS
Smid-Petry
Smith-Scuderi

Dubs & TT
1st deal: Yes
2nd: No
3rd: To move up 2 spots? Eh...depends on who's available and who's not. Most likely no.

That lineup is worse than the one we have now. Throwing a bunch of grinders on the team won't make us better. Torres on the 1st and Gordon on our 2nd line? Yikes.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:45 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
That d is alright but the forwards are horrendous.
I sort of agree....I sort of did it that way because if we get the 5th we can let him develop instead of rushing. In mean time we need someone so I thought some players that can fit needs would do.

Torres brings toughness and can win board battles for Nuge and Ebs. Hall and Yak are talented enough that a guy that can win faceoffs and do the dirty work can work.The 4th line is the crash and bang-energy line.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:45 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Maybe, but that ASSUMES those hits are counted the same everywhere.

I remember a playoff series, long ago, where Ville Neiminen(sp) got 13 hits in one game in SJ, and barely got that many the rest of the series.
Ok, so that means he still hits more than:
Winnik, Perry, Palmieri, Etem, Cogliano, Staubitz, Koivu, Steckel and Bonino

I guess Cory Perry is a non-physical winger as well...

Old
05-09-2013, 04:48 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
DRW doesn't do that. B. Smith is approaching top-4 status on that team already. Dekeyser doesn't make him expendable whatsoever, as he's not leaned on in an offensive role like Smith at all.
Holland starts LOLing and hangs up the phone.

Equivalent Counter proposal:

Nyquist + Mursak
for
J. Schultz

Overpay much? You're either severely overrating Alzner or massively undervaluing one of Gagner/Klefbom here. Sure am glad you're not the GM.
You obviously don't watch the games so how are you commenting?

B. Smith is not leaned on in Det. You can watch a game and see that. But that is your problem - you don't watch games.

Alzner is awesome - our board just said you have to overpay to get him. Gags is no loss. Kfefbom hurts but we don't even know what we have in him. Trading him is a risk for sure....

And no offense but a comment from you about anything is funny to me. You are the guy that was trying to convince everyone that Hall sucks. Then you make all these comments about Kessy and admitted you've never even watched him. So your opinion means nothing to me. Again no disrespect

Old
05-09-2013, 04:51 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Torres not being able to play a consistent top-6 role is the main reason why EDM moved him in the first place.

He's established himself as an ideal 3rd liner, and yet people are trying to slot him into a top-line role again.

Boyd Gordon at 2C is arguably even dumber of an idea. The guy's been playing a bottom-6 role his entire career. He was a 3rd liner on a non-playoff PHX team and a 4th liner for WAS when they made the playoffs.

Closed Thread