HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-2013 CIS Regular Season Discussion

Old
02-13-2013, 08:59 PM
blackmarketmob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
agree, Guelph has cooled off since Maxwell left to play in Russia.
With Maxwell, I think Guelph is a lock against Laurier. Without, should be close, likely a coin flip in my mind. Will attend tomorrow nights game.

Will be interesting to see how Lakehead rebounds. Last time they played Waterloo in the playoffs, they failed to score.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:07 PM
lakeheadu

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
Results so far tonight:

Windsor gets by York 3-2 in OT
Carleton pounds Queens 10-2
Nipissing over McGill 4-2
Waterloo 7-2 against Lakehead (Lakehead now has 2 at home in Thunder Bay)
UQTR up 4-2 against Ryerson
Toronto and Ottawa tied 2-2
May only get to see 1 of those 2 at home if they dont get it together fast. Last year Quesnele gets 5 + 2 + 2 in playoffs vs Windsor (plus a multiple game suspension), now Caria takes a stupid 5 + match penalty. I think he's out for Friday as well. This team is quite frustrating.

The talent is there to win the OUA, without question. The lack of consistency and discipline is going to make every series a battle. Even though I know we are capable of winning the OUA, I also wouldnt feel comfortable against any of the other 8 OUA West teams.

It's puzzling how they are such a different team from game to game. Never know what you're going to get out of them on any given night. Let's hope that they show up on Friday!

lakeheadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:27 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I've always felt the 1-2 format really hurts Lakehead. They are almost unbeatable at home so if they played a 1-1-1 series they most likely would be up 1-0 going on the road, with game 3 back at home if necessary. I think that is a much, much better situation than being down 1-0 with games 2 and 3 at home.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:47 PM
RED ARMY EAST

McGill went 0-12 on the pp, in a game1 loss to Nippissing.

RED ARMY EAST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:50 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I've always felt the 1-2 format really hurts Lakehead. They are almost unbeatable at home so if they played a 1-1-1 series they most likely would be up 1-0 going on the road, with game 3 back at home if necessary. I think that is a much, much better situation than being down 1-0 with games 2 and 3 at home.
When Kelly Nobes was coach at Laurier, he was adamant that he much preferred Lakehead having "home ice" advantage in the playoffs. Similar to you, he felt the opportunity to go up 1-0 and then only win one of the next possible 2 on the road was easier, then coming back down 1-0, and having to win two back to back.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Rob

I'm not surprised that Moncton beat Acadia but I am surprised in the manner in which it happened. Not one expected 12 goals in this game. Les Aigles managed 7 goals on just 24 shots while Guay faced 60 in nets.

I didn't get to see the game. Was DiSalvo that bad in nets for the Axemen?

Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:16 AM
northvanman

Quote:
When Kelly Nobes was coach at Laurier, he was adamant that he much preferred Lakehead having "home ice" advantage in the playoffs. Similar to you, he felt the opportunity to go up 1-0 and then only win one of the next possible 2 on the road was easier, then coming back down 1-0, and having to win two back to back.
Lakehead's advantage playing at home, especially in the playoffs, has been huge over the years. Since they entered the league in 2001/02, they have met Western 6 times in the playoffs when Western finished higher than them in the standings. and Lakehead has won that first home game all six times, including in 01/02 when Western went 22-0-2 during the regular season and in 02/03 when Western went 24-0-0 during the regular season. The 'Wolves went on to win 4 out these 6 series. I agree that a team's best shot against Lakehead in the playoffs is when Lakehead has the 2 home games and the series starts in your own rink.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:47 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm not surprised that Moncton beat Acadia but I am surprised in the manner in which it happened. Not one expected 12 goals in this game. Les Aigles managed 7 goals on just 24 shots while Guay faced 60 in nets.

I didn't get to see the game. Was DiSalvo that bad in nets for the Axemen?
Dasilvo was not sharp last night. I think 4 of the 7 goals were "stoppable" by most AUS standards. Acadia played well as a team and generated lots of scoring chances. They missed a couple of open nets as well. Guay gave up 1 "bad" goal, Acadia's 5th. The game itself resembled an All Star game; with little attention to defensive play or close checking. River Hockey is fine if your goalie is up to the task.

Normally, if you score 5 goals you have a high expectation of winning. The Axemen need a huge game (and a couple of routine saves) from whomever is between the pipes on Friday night to give themselves a chance to play again on Sunday.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Dasilvo was not sharp last night. I think 4 of the 7 goals were "stoppable" by most AUS standards. Acadia played well as a team and generated lots of scoring chances. They missed a couple of open nets as well. Guay gave up 1 "bad" goal, Acadia's 5th. The game itself resembled an All Star game; with little attention to defensive play or close checking. River Hockey is fine if your goalie is up to the task.

Normally, if you score 5 goals you have a high expectation of winning. The Axemen need a huge game (and a couple of routine saves) from whomever is between the pipes on Friday night to give themselves a chance to play again on Sunday.
Should be interesting to see who they star in goal Friday.

Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:26 PM
lakeheadu

Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post
Lakehead's advantage playing at home, especially in the playoffs, has been huge over the years. Since they entered the league in 2001/02, they have met Western 6 times in the playoffs when Western finished higher than them in the standings. and Lakehead has won that first home game all six times, including in 01/02 when Western went 22-0-2 during the regular season and in 02/03 when Western went 24-0-0 during the regular season. The 'Wolves went on to win 4 out these 6 series. I agree that a team's best shot against Lakehead in the playoffs is when Lakehead has the 2 home games and the series starts in your own rink.
I agree, it works both ways. It's a big advantage for us as the lower seed, but seems to hurt when we are the higher seed. We were pretty much unbeatable at home for the first few years of the program. Not sure on the exact numbers, but a home game feels like a lot less of a sure thing for us these days. I still wouldnt be worried one bit about not having "home ice" vs Western if we make it that far cause, as you said, that Game 1 has a good chance of going our way and is a huge momentum swing.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:37 PM
lakeheadu

Matt Caria, our leading scorer, has been suspended for 2 games. That's going to make the comeback that much tougher. Hope the rest of the guys show up.

Quesnele missed Game 1. Not sure how serious his injury is. Would be nice to get him back

Old
02-28-2013, 09:47 PM
blackmarketmob

2012-2013 OUA West Awards

OUA WEST DIVISION MAJOR AWARD WINNERS AND ALL-STARS

MVP - Ryan Daniels (Laurier)

Rookie of the Year - Andrew Bathgate (Guelph)

Defenceman of the Year - Steve Ferry (Windsor)

Top Goaltender - Ryan Daniels (Laurier)

Most Sportsmanlike Player - Steven Reese (Western)

Randy Gregg Award Nominee - Brett Vandehogen (Windsor)

Coach of the Year - Greg Puhalski (Laurier)

FIRST TEAM ALL-STARS
G Ryan Daniels (Laurier)
D Steve Ferry (Windsor)
D Ken Peroff (Guelph)
F Justin Larson (Waterloo)
F Matt Clarke (Western)
F Evan Stibbard (Windsor)

SECOND TEAM ALL-STARS
G Josh Unice (Western)
D Joe Underwood (Waterloo)
D John de Gray (York)
F Steven Reese (Western)
F Zach Harnden (Western)
F Spencer Pommells (Windsor)

ALL-ROOKIE TEAM
G Bryce O'Hagan (UOIT)
D David Corrente (Western)
D Derek Holden (Laurier)
F Andrew Bathgate (Guelph)
F Daniel Erlich (Western)
F Colin Behenna (Waterloo)

#7 York picks up only one nomination, #8 UOIT with only one as well. #9 Brock and surprisingly, #3 Lakehead are both fully snubbed.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:24 AM
northvanman

Quote:
OUA WEST DIVISION MAJOR AWARD WINNERS AND ALL-STARS

MVP - Ryan Daniels (Laurier)

Rookie of the Year - Andrew Bathgate (Guelph)

Defenceman of the Year - Steve Ferry (Windsor)

Top Goaltender - Ryan Daniels (Laurier)

Most Sportsmanlike Player - Steven Reese (Western)

Randy Gregg Award Nominee - Brett Vandehogen (Windsor)

Coach of the Year - Greg Puhalski (Laurier)

FIRST TEAM ALL-STARS
G Ryan Daniels (Laurier)
D Steve Ferry (Windsor)
D Ken Peroff (Guelph)
F Justin Larson (Waterloo)
F Matt Clarke (Western)
F Evan Stibbard (Windsor)

SECOND TEAM ALL-STARS
G Josh Unice (Western)
D Joe Underwood (Waterloo)
D John de Gray (York)
F Steven Reese (Western)
F Zach Harnden (Western)
F Spencer Pommells (Windsor)

ALL-ROOKIE TEAM
G Bryce O'Hagan (UOIT)
D David Corrente (Western)
D Derek Holden (Laurier)
F Andrew Bathgate (Guelph)
F Daniel Erlich (Western)
F Colin Behenna (Waterloo)

#7 York picks up only one nomination, #8 UOIT with only one as well. #9 Brock and surprisingly, #3 Lakehead are both fully snubbed.
Hard to believe that Caria for Lakehead wasn't recognized.

Puhalski did a nice job for Laurier, but I don't know how Pat Powers of Western doesn't win coach of the year - a rookie, interim coach with a 50% roster turnover leads the Mustangs to a decisive first place finish in a division that is arguably the most competitive it has ever been.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:38 PM
AdamMcg83

Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post
Hard to believe that Caria for Lakehead wasn't recognized.

Puhalski did a nice job for Laurier, but I don't know how Pat Powers of Western doesn't win coach of the year - a rookie, interim coach with a 50% roster turnover leads the Mustangs to a decisive first place finish in a division that is arguably the most competitive it has ever been.
If I had to guess, some of Caria's extracurricular activities (specifically the racial slur suspension last year) might have hurt him. Also, the top-end talent up front in OUA West was ridiculous this year: OUA West forwards made up 7 of top 9 CIS point-getters, and 6 of top 12 goal scorers.

AdamMcg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:34 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Sportsnet signs 6 year agreement with CIS...

http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/n...up/1002293755/

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Rocko604

Anyone have a list (or link) of CIS player signing pro contracts, be it in North America or Europe?

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 06:42 PM
thook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Anyone have a list (or link) of CIS player signing pro contracts, be it in North America or Europe?
This is the best site I know of.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...p?leagueid=127

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:31 AM
STUTOMMIES

I read Foyle’s comments to you Miami Hockey and it bothers me. He hides behind “I am all about facts” and “show me the proof”. It is under the table stuff that Miami Hockey is talking about Foyle and you know it. How do you prove it? I doubt UNB is publishing their under the table accounts on the internet. If Miami Hockey is in fact a coach then he has more than likely heard about players getting paid. I doubt that envelope filled with cash is something that can be proved. And isn’t that the point to you always arguing “prove it”? You know we can’t. I guess you got us.

What I can say with a little bit of certainty is that when a cost saving measure such as a roster cap comes into place to level the playing field, the folks that like the table to be tipped in their favour are going to be upset by it. And so far you haven’t disappointed.

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:41 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
What I can say with a little bit of certainty is that when a cost saving measure such as a roster cap comes into place to level the playing field, the folks that like the table to be tipped in their favour are going to be upset by it. And so far you haven’t disappointed.
Talk about spin. The roster cap is and was designed to "reign in" UNB's recruiting because competing coaches got the sads that the V-Reds sometimes had a healthy scratch in the stands that they wish was in their line-up. The coaches then got their AD's to make it an AUS rule. This "cost saving" talk is just after the fact b.s.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

I guess the funding discourse should be continued here:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1431365

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

NCAA Travel Rule

It's well documented that NCAA teams are allowed one(1) International Trip every 5 years.

Observation: I guess Army has a special exemption to play RMC every other year?

SnipeShow91 - comment?

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote