HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Adam Oates Been Fired Yet????

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2013, 08:12 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
The good looking line

Oates's hand got forced. Shuffling up the lines after Ovi nearly sent poor old ERat to ER, seemed to go smoothly. Before that, we looked like crap running those exact same 4 lines 4 games in a row.

The new lines he put together looked great - both scored actually. I hope it opened eyes after the debates here and fear of changing lines / bruising egos. Did Chimera or Hendy sulk they didn't get promoted over Fehr? It is a non issue. No one cares.

Ironically, the line he kept together, our top line, continued to look disorganized and generated few quality scoring chances. How many quality chances have they produced in this series, as a line / coordinated attack? I don't like that number.

I grade Oates a C in the series thus far. He seemed rather Bruce like in believing in no adjustments were needed. I feel like in hindsight the day off could have been spent working on the PP, a key cog in our survival.

Reinforcements are on the way but I doubt Oates uses them. I hope Wilson is on the bus along with Hershey's top scoring LW, if they have one. Maybe he tries Wolski to haunt his former team.

Or tries Neuvirth. But I doubt that. Oates does not seem to like to rock the boat too much.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-09-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old
05-09-2013, 08:24 AM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
I have to admit I would love to see Wilson.

1st line did not look good at all there is no denying. RH you should get your wish for game 5. I hope Oates breaks them up or at least takes 90 off for now.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:33 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Losing Erat really limits Oates's hand to move MJ. Laich is an option... maybe.

A new look

Fehr Nick Ovi
MJ Ribs Brouwer
Chimera MP Ward
Patti Hendy Beagle | Hendy Beagle Wilson

Notice without Erat Brouwer got the puck on his stick and scored.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:10 PM
BobRouse

I wonder if Erat injury will accelerate Laich's recovery somehow?

Old
05-09-2013, 12:25 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Today in practice:

90 - 19 - 8
16 - 9 - 20
25 - 85 - 42
everybody else

Wilson taking rushes with the 4th line.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:54 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Today in practice:

90 - 19 - 8
16 - 9 - 20
25 - 85 - 42
everybody else

Wilson taking rushes with the 4th line.
Ward certainly slots better there than on the 4th and Volpatti is a better fit on that line.

Fehr deserves a bump up anyhow.

Erat's been good but I think Fehr has been better anyhow so this may work out for the best seeing as how everyone will fit their slots better.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
just on the subject at hand here, wardo was big last night. saw a whyno tweet saying he was having "a monster game"

@halpy, your pp comments. cant move ov from the half wall to the left point. he is in fact the left point player. caps play a 1-3-1 scheme on the pp. green is really the only pp player but the two half wall players have coverage as he slides to the middle.

do you think the caps should abandon their basic playoff system and do something entirely new?
Every PP the Rangers have someone camping in Ovechkin's lap. Because he's at the half wall said player can both camp in Ovechkin's lap and contribute to the turtle. Ovechkin is essentially taken out of the play the way things are. I don't see this stopping anytime soon.

If Ovechkin is at the left point, then said Ranger has to choose between turtling and pressing the point man. If he turtles Ovechkin has room up high. If he presses the caps have room down low. And if something opens up on the half wall Ovechkin can easily rotate down there.

Effective as it has been in the RS Oates' PP is fairly static, or at least becoming static. That won't get you very far now with PKs being much more aggressive/attentive to detail.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:24 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

I don't think they need to make that big of an adjustment. When the puck is low, they're not pressing - they're just trying to block the pass. So when the puck goes low to Ribeiro, Ovechkin slides down, Green slides over to the left point, Backstrom slides up to right point. Now there's a Ranger one-on-one with Ribeiro, which means it's 4 on 3 on the rest of the ice. Backstrom, Green, and Ovechkin spread out properly and it opens up either Backstrom or Brouwer, unless they want to open up one of the shooters. They can't overextend to the outside because it opens up way too much space for Brouwer to get open in the middle, which means they can work it around the outside. Although I might rather see Backstrom down in Ribeiro's spot and a right-handed shooter in Backstrom's spot. Or maybe Fehr/Ward and Ovechkin on the far side, with Green in Backstrom's spot.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:28 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I wonder how the Rags would react if we swapped Ovi into Brouwer's slot.

Or, Ribs and Ovi... swapped. Simple stuff here. Get someone that can pass the puck to Ovi on the same side of the ice as him. Let them block some even.

We are by design putting 2 defenders in between our best passers and best shooter. Yes I know it worked all year, but it is not now.

#BelloRussianRocketScienceFTW

Old
05-09-2013, 01:54 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Interesting idea RH. Ovechkin in Brouwer's spot, Ribs and Nick, Green at the point, Brouwer/Fehr/Ward/whoever right-handed in Ovechkin's spot. Force them to collapse on Ovechkin since that's what they're doing anyway. Make it easy to overcollapse.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:39 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Thx CP. Force the Rags to change what they are doing, since what they are doing is working. Even though it is not guaranteed to work, it can't work worse than failure - basically no quality chances.

Last resort is the old fashioned screen play. I for one felt Brouwer was excellent in that screen role in his limited chances there last year. And no matter who we have where, we need people to shoot.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:49 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

No need to change mojo. He was very good the 1stv3 games IMO. He was bad last night, but so was everyone else. No need for knee jerk reactions.

Also I do not want ribs with Ovechkin ever again if Backstrom is in the lineup. Oates talks all the time about puck touches. I would venture to say that Ovechkin would get far fewer puck touches playing with ribs rather than Backstrom, as ribs holds on to the puck alot.

Overall, we were the much better team the 1st 3 games. We had a stinker last night, but I'm still very confident if we play at least decent we will win this series, and the next 2 games. The last bad game this team and Ovechkin had was @Ottawa, and they responded really well against Montreal. This team hasn't really had 2 bad games in a row since they've gotten hot and I expect that to continue.

I'd take our chances against anyone in the east in a best 2/3 with home ice advantage.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:50 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Thx CP. Force the Rags to change what they are doing, since what they are doing is working. Even though it is not guaranteed to work, it can't work worse than failure - basically no quality chances.

Last resort is the old fashioned screen play. I for one felt Brouwer was excellent in that screen role in his limited chances there last year. And no matter who we have where, we need people to shoot.
I think we have had people shooting especially in the 2 pps last night. They tried at least and kept hitting the mass of Ranger humanity.

I would have a different approach all together if we were going to change up...one they wouldn't expect. On our standard play I'd have Ribs throw it down to Backstrom and immediately bum rush the net along with Brouwer+Ovechkin while Backstrom from the goaline banks it off Lundqvuist. Just try to bumrush it in.

Tampa did that too us a ton in 2011. They get guys going to the net and just chuck it in front from bad angles where no one would expect they would.

Old
05-09-2013, 07:20 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

BR sounds good to me. I like the idea of storming the net.

One thing I want to see is Green and Ribs to not hesitate to shoot if there is a Rag in the way. Especially if they lay down for the block. Both are more than able to wrist it or even slap it upstairs.

Coordinated attack, Ovi Brouwer and Nick crashing the net. If it gets blocked, try it again.

Ovi's only goal came on a rebound. When they expect Nick or Ribs to pass, throw it at the net.

Tick Tock. One of problems vs Montreal was the PP failing us. I am not sure if Corvo stole TOI from Green but do know Flash was a fixture on PP1... getting worked over on the boards. Eventually yanked, that is all i remember as far as adjustments

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-09-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old
05-09-2013, 08:18 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
BR sounds good to me. I like the idea of storming the net.

One thing I want to see is Green and Ribs to not hesitate to shoot if there is a Rag in the way. Especially if they lay down for the block. Both are more than able to wrist it or even slap it upstairs.

Coordinated attack, Ovi Brouwer and Nick crashing the net. If it gets blocked, try it again.

Ovi's only goal came on a rebound. When they expect Nick or Ribs to pass, throw it at the net.

Tick Tock. One of problems vs Montreal was the PP failing us. I am not sure if Corvo stole TOI from Green but do know Flash was a fixture on PP1... getting worked over on the boards. Eventually yanked, that is all i remember as far as adjustments
They didn't score on the PP against Montreal because they were a bunch of Sallies. Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, weak shot, rebound directly to Josh Gorges, clear.

Corvo actually scored one of the nicest pp goals I've ever seen in game 1 that series. He took a hard slapper through a perfectly timed screen of 3 Caps. Can't find it on the youtube. If Washington committed to that level of play away from the puck for the entire series, they would have won in 5.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:26 PM
txpd

bcf, i am sure i am not visualizing this correctly, but a 3 layer screen actually blocking the goalies view would generally add a pk player or two to the mix. isnt it rare for that shot to get thru all that traffic much less go in the net?

Old
05-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
bcf, i am sure i am not visualizing this correctly, but a 3 layer screen actually blocking the goalies view would generally add a pk player or two to the mix. isnt it rare for that shot to get thru all that traffic much less go in the net?
It's even rarer for the puck to get to the net when you don't even try to shoot it.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:34 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
It was a wrist shot actually, my mistake. Two Caps and two habs in the crease blocking the goalie's view.

2:50 in this clip.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
It was a wrist shot actually, my mistake. Two Caps and two habs in the crease blocking the goalie's view.

He just got lucky brah. Normally that shot would never get past the strawman standing in front of the net.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:49 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Throwing the puck to the net, storming the net, and screening the goalie, have been the core of the top secret playbook used by the lowly lowly grinders eeking out NHL careers, for decades on end.

When the pretty boys can't score, they steal a page from the north american hockey playbook. And it usually works. When it doesnt work, is when they are afraid of getting hit by the puck or defensemen.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:48 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:

Lost in all this is that Jeff Schultz is on the power play. And we wonder why it fizzled.

Old
05-10-2013, 12:20 AM
txpd

Quote:

with as many shots as the caps thru at the net in that series its amazing that didnt happen more often.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:19 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I think we have had people shooting especially in the 2 pps last night. They tried at least and kept hitting the mass of Ranger humanity.

I would have a different approach all together if we were going to change up...one they wouldn't expect. On our standard play I'd have Ribs throw it down to Backstrom and immediately bum rush the net along with Brouwer+Ovechkin while Backstrom from the goaline banks it off Lundqvuist. Just try to bumrush it in.

Tampa did that too us a ton in 2011. They get guys going to the net and just chuck it in front from bad angles where no one would expect they would.

When I think of the NYR, I think of this. A few playoffs back when Neuvy was the starter, they tried it a lot.

Old
05-12-2013, 07:07 PM
msrulo

Oates overrated

Old
05-12-2013, 08:08 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

You are not even going to give him one playoff series?

#onceatankalwaysastank

Closed Thread