HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist named Vezina Trophy finalist

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2013, 08:08 PM
  #126
Cake or Death
.
 
Cake or Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,081
vCash: 500
Shocked at the amount of places I'm reading comments that people are not sure how Lundqvist is final three. Anyone who says that is clueless and simply does not watch enough hockey. Lundqvist was every bit as good as Bob this season, on a team that performed close to the same as Columbus offensively.

Sorry, but Lundqvist should win this. Bob's stats are ever so slightly better, but not nearly enough to make him be that first goalie to win it for a non-playoff team. Not to mention that Lundqvist and Niemi played 14 percent more hockey than Bob, the equivalent of 7 more games, and both won enough games to get their teams in. Bob had a great season, but not great enough to be that first guy to win this without making the playoffs.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:10 PM
  #127
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Lol at people saying Hank didn't have a good season.

You guys do realize he put up his second best statistical season this year, right?

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:51 PM
  #128
Baby Punisher
Registered User
 
Baby Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
good thing the Flyers traded Bobrovsky although they were stupid to do so if the Flyers kept Bobrovsky and became their #1 maybe they would have made the playoffs.... Bryzgalov has been bad this year and a distraction.. good luck with that....
I always felt that the Flyers buried Bob & trading him would be a mistake.

Anyway, this is about Hank. Congrats.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:11 PM
  #129
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,367
vCash: 500
Crown the king.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:13 PM
  #130
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,545
vCash: 500
One of these days Philly will have a good goalie

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:19 PM
  #131
M0rbid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cave
Country: United States
Posts: 7,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Lol at people saying Hank didn't have a good season.

You guys do realize he put up his second best statistical season this year, right?
Rangers fan have been spoiled. Sorta like how Yankees fans were spoiled by Rivera.

M0rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:32 AM
  #132
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake or Death View Post
Shocked at the amount of places I'm reading comments that people are not sure how Lundqvist is final three. Anyone who says that is clueless and simply does not watch enough hockey. Lundqvist was every bit as good as Bob this season, on a team that performed close to the same as Columbus offensively.

Sorry, but Lundqvist should win this. Bob's stats are ever so slightly better, but not nearly enough to make him be that first goalie to win it for a non-playoff team. Not to mention that Lundqvist and Niemi played 14 percent more hockey than Bob, the equivalent of 7 more games, and both won enough games to get their teams in. Bob had a great season, but not great enough to be that first guy to win this without making the playoffs.
Cannot base this on stats alone. I know you watched a lot of Columbus games...Bob was ridiculous.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:01 AM
  #133
Cake or Death
.
 
Cake or Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Cannot base this on stats alone. I know you watched a lot of Columbus games...Bob was ridiculous.
Not disagreeing: he was ridiculous. I simply don't think he was ridiculous enough to create a new precedent and be that first guy that wins a Vezina on a non-playoff team. I also think we're spoiled watching Lundqvist be so good every year that we forget how damn good he is, but he also was ridiculous quite often and had an amazing season overall.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:15 AM
  #134
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake or Death View Post
Not disagreeing: he was ridiculous. I simply don't think he was ridiculous enough to create a new precedent and be that first guy that wins a Vezina on a non-playoff team. I also think we're spoiled watching Lundqvist be so good every year that we forget how damn good he is, but he also was ridiculous quite often and had an amazing season overall.
I'm not saying anything against Hank, and I have a feeling he may win the award on reputation alone. That said, I think if the award does go to Bob, there can be no complaints. You can definitely make an argument he was the best goalie this year...which, after all, is the whole point of the award.

I guess I just don't understand why fans (not just Ranger fans...all fans...in all sports) get so hung up on whether their guy wins an individual award. The only award I'm hung up on a Ranger winning is the Conn Smythe...because it means we probably won the Cup! The rest is just window dressing.

If anything, you can make an argument that another Vezina (or two) for Hank will wind up costing the Rangers more salary cap room in his next contract.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:27 AM
  #135
Maaxse
Registered User
 
Maaxse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
One of these days Philly will have a good goalie
Amazing idea for a science fiction novel.

Maaxse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:41 PM
  #136
MidnightRanger
Registered User
 
MidnightRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 1,460
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Poor Henrik. This BS offense has got to stop.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:51 PM
  #137
Cake or Death
.
 
Cake or Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I'm not saying anything against Hank, and I have a feeling he may win the award on reputation alone. That said, I think if the award does go to Bob, there can be no complaints. You can definitely make an argument he was the best goalie this year...which, after all, is the whole point of the award.

I guess I just don't understand why fans (not just Ranger fans...all fans...in all sports) get so hung up on whether their guy wins an individual award. The only award I'm hung up on a Ranger winning is the Conn Smythe...because it means we probably won the Cup! The rest is just window dressing.

If anything, you can make an argument that another Vezina (or two) for Hank will wind up costing the Rangers more salary cap room in his next contract.
We've seen more than a few guys win awards on reputation. Seems to be the benefit given to guys who have been consistently excellent for a long time. I agree with you, the hardware is meaningless to a large degree. But long range another Vezina or two will definitely help his case in terms of a hall of fame nod.

And I wouldn't have a problem if Bob won it, I am just going by what voting history has done for 70 years in not awarding it to a non-playoff goalie. But the Jackets were fun to watch, and it's a blast how Prospal is still like an excited kid out there. Good stuff.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:59 PM
  #138
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Tell me again how Lundqvist sucks in the playoffs and how he drags the rest of the team down.

**** this moronic POS team. Everyone but Lundqvist sucks.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 06:32 PM
  #139
turcotte8
Registered User
 
turcotte8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,871
vCash: 500
http://snyrangersblog.com/2012-13-pl...rik-lundqvist/

"They note that if Lundqvistís .926 save percentage, fifth in the league, was replaced by the league average if .912, the Rangers would have given up 17 more goals.

They estimate that two goals equal one point in the standings and that not having Lundqvist would have cost the Rangers four wins/eight points. They note that the Rangers made the playoffs by five points this season so itís likely that with just an average goalie the Rangers would not have made the playoffs.

In his career, Lundqvist has led the Rangers to the playoffs in seven of his eight seasons, but replacing him over that time with an average goalie would have seen the Rangers give up 162 more goals over that span and likely only make the playoffs twice."

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 06:34 PM
  #140
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Which shows his value, but somewhat disputes the claim that we'd "Be a lottery team" - which has always been hyperbole, I feel.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 06:38 PM
  #141
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
modus operandi
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 15,314
vCash: 50
One of the most consistent and talented goal tenders of our time. He deserves it. Congrats Hank.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 06:45 PM
  #142
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
Bob doesn't deserve anything.

He didn't get his team into the playoffs, which means all he did was cost them a better draft pick.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 06:52 PM
  #143
irishlaxburger2
Registered User
 
irishlaxburger2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Notre Dame, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
http://snyrangersblog.com/2012-13-pl...rik-lundqvist/

"They note that if Lundqvistís .926 save percentage, fifth in the league, was replaced by the league average if .912, the Rangers would have given up 17 more goals.

They estimate that two goals equal one point in the standings and that not having Lundqvist would have cost the Rangers four wins/eight points. They note that the Rangers made the playoffs by five points this season so itís likely that with just an average goalie the Rangers would not have made the playoffs.

In his career, Lundqvist has led the Rangers to the playoffs in seven of his eight seasons, but replacing him over that time with an average goalie would have seen the Rangers give up 162 more goals over that span and likely only make the playoffs twice."
A WAR (Wins against replacement) stat for goalies would be pretty cool if someone could formulate it

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 06:52 PM
  #144
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Which shows his value, but somewhat disputes the claim that we'd "Be a lottery team" - which has always been hyperbole, I feel.
Well, every team that misses the PO's is a "lottery team," so saying that we'd be a lottery team w/o him is very true.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 07:03 PM
  #145
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Well, every team that misses the PO's is a "lottery team," so saying that we'd be a lottery team w/o him is very true.
I guess with the new rules, technically you're correct. It means in somewhat less formal terms a bottom 5 team.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 07:10 PM
  #146
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I guess with the new rules, technically you're correct. It means in somewhat less formal terms a bottom 5 team.
Nah, even before the new rules, every team that missed was in the lottery. The only rule that changed is that the winner now picks first, whereas it used to be that the winner would only move up 4 spots.

Case in point, the 2011 Devils. Missed the playoffs, not the top 5 worst team, but moved up from 8th to 4th.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 07:17 PM
  #147
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Nah, even before the new rules, every team that missed was in the lottery. The only rule that changed is that the winner now picks first, whereas it used to be that the winner would only move up 4 spots.

Case in point, the 2011 Devils. Missed the playoffs, not the top 5 worst team, but moved up from 8th to 4th.
It has been a long weekend. Right again.

Incidentally, I still think its a crime Rask wasn't nominated. He's consolidated his good play with this postseason, even though it doesn't affect the voting, I think he'd be a strong Conn Smythe candidate should Boston win.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 07:22 PM
  #148
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
It has been a long weekend. Right again.

Incidentally, I still think its a crime Rask wasn't nominated. He's consolidated his good play with this postseason, even though it doesn't affect the voting, I think he'd be a strong Conn Smythe candidate should Boston win.
Maybe.

But Krejci is red hot too. 19 points in 12 games.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 07:43 PM
  #149
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,545
vCash: 500
Say goodbye to future Vezina nominations Hank. Now that Torts is gone you're not gonna be a good goalie according to some

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 07:47 PM
  #150
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
Say goodbye to future Vezina nominations Hank. Now that Torts is gone you're not gonna be a good goalie according to some
It's going to be interesting to say the least. On the one hand, chances are the Rangers are going to play a less defensive system.

On the other hand, if the new coach doesn't demand shot blocking like Torts did, Henrik will see way more shots from the point, and less shots will be deflecting off our own guys and in.

I'd say Hank rolls around the end of the season with a 2.3-2.45 GAA next year.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.