HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Has Gillis Ruined the Canucks?

View Poll Results: Has Gillis ruined the Canucks
Yes 44 38.26%
No 71 61.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-09-2013, 06:51 PM
SiCKNESS

vCash: 500
Has Gillis Ruined the Canucks?

When he came in they were a skilled offensive minded team, but after 2011 finals, he decided they need to be a big, physical, defensive team and has traded Hodgson for Kassian, drafted older players with big bodies and brought in players with bad contracts like Booth while locking up most of the core players with NTCs

SiCKNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 06:53 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Maybe give the team a chance with a new coach?

Gillis has put together a fairly successful team. SCF appearance, several playoff rounds won, five straight division titles. I think the Canucks team is fairly well built, I'd like to see what they can do with a different coach.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 06:55 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
the Canucks ruined themselves.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 06:58 PM
SiCKNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Maybe give the team a chance with a new coach?

Gillis has put together a fairly successful team. SCF appearance, several playoff rounds won, five straight division titles. I think the Canucks team is fairly well built, I'd like to see what they can do with a different coach.
he changed the identity in the middle of his tenure from a team like PIT/CHI to STL/LA which isnt what theyre built for and has for some reason drafted a bunch of 20 year olds with his draft picks, not to mention trading for Booth and Kassian.

SiCKNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:02 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Over the last few years he has traded assets for:

Booth - the just was a total bust, a joke.

Ballard - see above, except even when he was healthy Cam Barker and an OHL kid played agead of him. 4.2 million dollar waste, oh and it cost a first round pick and Grabner.

Kassian - Honestly, this kid is overrated and a glorified grinder.

Roy - second round pick for nothing at all. No show.

Other than a couple free agent signings(of home province players) this team is still built by Nonis and Burke, Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Edler, Bieksa, Luongo, Schneider, AV... that's the core 5 years after Gillis took over.

The man is a fraud.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:05 PM
StringerBell

Took a non playoff team to 5 divisional titles, 5 playoff series wins and 2 president's trophies in his 5 years? No he hasn't ruined them. If anything he raised the expectations too high.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:07 PM
topchowda

voted yes for the luongo fisaco and the fact the core was built for him

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:23 PM
noBSleafsFAN

Considering Gillis didn't change the main core of the team (which is a pretty great one) I would say no.

noBSleafsFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
WTF 1 game from a cup, and won gm of the year, ya man, ruined them all right

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Whoa, "ruined" is a strong word. You have to reach Mike Milbury levels of ineptitude to say you ruined a team.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Ruining them is a bit harsh, but I don't think he's managed to make them much better either. He's bungled a lot of things (goalie situation, Hodgson, Roy, being forced to buy out players this summer). He did bring in Ehrhoff, Garrison and Hamhuis, but the latter two seemed to want to go to Vancouver to start with.

Big challenges ahead and he has limited flexibility. How do you keep the good and address the bad?

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
And since then back to back early first round exits. No... it isn't fair to say that he ruined them. He has had a very successful regular season team and some playoff success.

But there is no denying that the team has a taken a step back this season and that is large part due to the moves that Gillis has made (or hasn't made) over the past two seasons.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
He's no top 5 GM, but this thread is a joke. Lately his moves have been mostly ****** but he definitely made moves that took Vancouver from a weak 3 seed to back to back #1 finishes and a SCF appearance.

Does no one remember signing Samuelsson off of Detroit for $2.5 x 3 years and have him score around 30 goals two of those years?

Or bringing in Erhoff for nothing? It's just a coincidence the Sedins went from 75-85 point guys to 95-100+ when he was there and back to their old production since?

Luongo signing was in hindsight terrible but the CBA sanctions didn't help. And the trades for Ballard and Booth both didn't work out at all. The cap space from those two put towards one elite player that could have put them over the top is also at Gillis's feature.

The only reason anyone considers this Vancouver team a colossal failure is because of the expectations they have set under Gillis.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:59 PM
mooped*

Yeah, the guy that's probably had the best record as GM in our franchise's history has ruined our team.

Last edited by Doctor No: 05-09-2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Flaming
mooped* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Virtanen2Horvat
Tweet@CanucksOnARoll

vCash: 462
I liked his style and how he bulit up the team before the 2011 playoffs. For this coming 2013/2014 season I like how he mentioned in his conference today they want to get younger which is good. I hope he is going somewhere as in trading some players for higher draft picks which will benefit in the future. But at the same time I hope he can get some good young skilled players so we can try and make a run for the cup! anyways no I do not think he has ruined the Canucks. A few more years will show us if he has or not but first priority is trade Luongo if he doesn't get that done well idk its going to be interesting.

EDIT: I think the team is going through a rough period at the moment and needs to improve again. I think they need a few new players because it is possible that there are a few players going through physiological problems at the moment. Also bottom 6 need some improvements.

Virtanen2Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:02 PM
moog35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
He's no top 5 GM, but this thread is a joke. Lately his moves have been mostly ****** but he definitely made moves that took Vancouver from a weak 3 seed to back to back #1 finishes and a SCF appearance.

Does no one remember signing Samuelsson off of Detroit for $2.5 x 3 years and have him score around 30 goals two of those years?

Or bringing in Erhoff for nothing? It's just a coincidence the Sedins went from 75-85 point guys to 95-100+ when he was there and back to their old production since?

Luongo signing was in hindsight terrible but the CBA sanctions didn't help. And the trades for Ballard and Booth both didn't work out at all. The cap space from those two put towards one elite player that could have put them over the top is also at Gillis's feature.

The only reason anyone considers this Vancouver team a colossal failure is because of the expectations they have set under Gillis.
The Loungo contract was done by ownership and now the length has handcuffed Gillis

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:03 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Hmm since then his team is 1-8 in playoff games and 0-5 on home ice in the playoffs....

But lets keep living in June 2011.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:12 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooped View Post
Yeah, the guy that's probably had the best record as GM in our franchise's history has ruined our team.
And one could argue he's brought in 3 core players total, all D-MEN in 5 years. So he didn't build ****.

He has leached off the hard and smart work of prior GM's and made little depth moves and made a bunch of terrible mistakes and that's why we're not playing anymore. If his trades worked out better, or even good at all, we'd still be playing for who knows how long.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Virtanen2Horvat
Tweet@CanucksOnARoll

vCash: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Over the last few years he has traded assets for:

Booth - the just was a total bust, a joke.

Ballard - see above, except even when he was healthy Cam Barker and an OHL kid played agead of him. 4.2 million dollar waste, oh and it cost a first round pick and Grabner.

Kassian - Honestly, this kid is overrated and a glorified grinder.

Roy - second round pick for nothing at all. No show.

Other than a couple free agent signings(of home province players) this team is still built by Nonis and Burke, Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Edler, Bieksa, Luongo, Schneider, AV... that's the core 5 years after Gillis took over.

The man is a fraud.
I agree with some things you say here but I think the following players are not bad and would consider keeping:

Kesler- He is a great two-way player and would love to keep him. Good in the faceoff circle and has some grit and emotion/heart.

Burrows- Great chemistry with Kesler would possibly trade later for a better 2nd line winger for Kesler.

Hansen- I think he is a great player to have on the 3rd line and can bring that speed and aggressiveness.

Schneider- Great goalie I think he is making his way through and he still has a big task ahead of him next season but hey he can't be perfect every game and I think he will be a good goalie.

and maybe Edler

Other than that I also agree with you on Booth, Ballard and well Roy lets say he doesn't really fit in with the Canucks. I would stay away from Florida players they are usually overpaid and I would only take one if they are proven.

Virtanen2Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:16 PM
landfill

The defence is not he same as it was. We lost Erhoff two years ago and Salo last year replacing their ice time with rookies and Ballard.

The depth guys he picked up for the cup run all made solid contributions and he managed to re sign Higgins and Lappiere. Torres who was signed as a free agent left to join Phoenix.

landfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:17 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksrool View Post
I agree with some things you say here but I think the following players are not bad and would consider keeping:

Kesler- He is a great two-way player and would love to keep him. Good in the faceoff circle and has some grit and emotion/heart.

Burrows- Great chemistry with Kesler would possibly trade later for a better 2nd line winger for Kesler.

Hansen- I think he is a great player to have on the 3rd line and can bring that speed and aggressiveness.

Schneider- Great goalie I think he is making his way through and he still has a big task ahead of him next season but hey he can't be perfect every game and I think he will be a good goalie.

and maybe Edler

Other than that I also agree with you on Booth, Ballard and well Roy lets say he doesn't really fit in with the Canucks. I would stay away from Florida players they are usually overpaid and I would only take one if they are proven.
Since this is a Mike Gillis thread, who brought in every single one of those players you listed and want to keep?

Mike Gillis brought in ZERO of them, and he's been here 5 years!

Old
05-09-2013, 08:18 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by landfill View Post
The defence is not he same as it was. We lost Erhoff two years ago and Salo last year replacing their ice time with rookies and Ballard.

The depth guys he picked up for the cup run all made solid contributions and he managed to re sign Higgins and Lappiere. Torres who was signed as a free agent left to join Phoenix.
Higgins is the biggest playoff no show around.

Something like 3 goals in his last 35 playoff games. He's part of the secondary scoring problem, provides nothing at all and got a 4 year extension. GREAT WORK MG.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:28 PM
mooped*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
And one could argue he's brought in 3 core players total, all D-MEN in 5 years. So he didn't build ****.

He has leached off the hard and smart work of prior GM's and made little depth moves and made a bunch of terrible mistakes and that's why we're not playing anymore. If his trades worked out better, or even good at all, we'd still be playing for who knows how long.
People like yourself have knee jerk reactions to early exits.
Depth moves he's made would be Higgins, Lapierre, Malhotra, Tanev, as well as trying players like Samuelsson, Pahlsson, Roy, etc.
He's (re)-signed the Sedins, Hansen, Garrison, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Higgins, and Schneider to discount contracts.
His drafting is yet to be seen, but we'll get a better look at guys like Corrado, Gaunce, and Jensen next season based off what MG said today.

It really comes down to Gillis being proficient in the areas the Canucks need him the most. We're not a team that's in a position to have high draft picks and depend on development via the draft. MG has been great at re-signing players to good contract, and finding great free agents to sign here (Tanev, Lain, Garrison, Hamhuis, Malhotra - at the time -, Samuelsson, Sundin, etc.).

Granted some of his trades didn't work, like Bernier, Ballard, Booth (though all he really cost us was cap space), etc. His biggest knock might be his trading, but the Ballard trade is the only one that really had a bad impact, all the other ones were small sacrifices (3rd/2nd round picks) or cap space (Booth); either way, I'm happy he at least took the risk of making the trade and tried to improve our team. Most the players he's traded for had put up great stats on their respective teams, so it's not like he wasn't going after skilled and promising players.

People also make the argument that MG handled the Luongo scenario poorly. From what we know, it sounds like the lockout blocked a potential trade in the off season, and then they started to play hardball when the season started. MG loses this either way, either he treats Luongo poorly or he screws the team over and gets a small return. Considering Luongo's still here, I think he didn't really do either and will figure it out this summer, it was a compromise for both sides.

mooped* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Moore Money

Gillis, AV, and Kelly Sutherland ruined the Canucks

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:39 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

I say Gillis has an ego problem with the way he has dealt with the whole Luongo trade situation. From the start of it everyone knew he wouldn't get a fair return based on his contract, however Gillis said to the media he would be making a great Hockey trade and get back some great players, prospects and picks.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote