HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Young Guns

Old
09-25-2006, 11:11 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Young Guns

Have any kids stuck out yet?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Pressumably when you say 'kids' and 'young guns' you don't mean guys like Higgins, Pez, Pleks so I've left them out. Not seen any of the games but from what I've heard and read:

No one challenging for a spot has been dominant yet, but the best performances appear to have come from Latendresse, with Andrei Kostitsyn just a slight step behind him. Both are listed as right wingers, not sure if Lats has had a chance to play that wing but I don't think Kost has yet. He played LW last game, the one before that I can't remember.

Ferland has looked good in a limited role. If he made the team, he obviously wouldn't get an overly heavy workload, but he can handle himself at this level and if he keeps going as he is, deserves a shot in the season to see if he can stick.

Price has arguably been the most impressive so far, but he is highly unlikely to stick around. Even still, its encouraging to hear him performing well and showing promise for the future.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Kafka

The only problem I have with Kostitsyn is that he brings nothing different then what Samsonov, Kovalev and Perezhogin can bring to the club while Latendresse brings the hits of Bégin combined with the presence of a large player on the PP in front of the net (none currently...... last one was Craig Rivet)... and a large player WITH HANDS (not a new Ward) and WITH SPEED (not a new Dagenais).

I would say what I am saying right now if the guy was named Smith or Smithov: Latendresse would help the team right now more than Perezhogin, Kostitsyn..... etc.

(As for Chipchura by the way, he is behind Latendresse according (I need to admit this) to the game I saw on Saturday at the Bell Center)

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Pressumably when you say 'kids' and 'young guns' you don't mean guys like Higgins, Pez, Pleks so I've left them out. Not seen any of the games but from what I've heard and read:

No one challenging for a spot has been dominant yet, but the best performances appear to have come from Latendresse, with Andrei Kostitsyn just a slight step behind him. Both are listed as right wingers, not sure if Lats has had a chance to play that wing but I don't think Kost has yet. He played LW last game, the one before that I can't remember.

Ferland has looked good in a limited role. If he made the team, he obviously wouldn't get an overly heavy workload, but he can handle himself at this level and if he keeps going as he is, deserves a shot in the season to see if he can stick.

Price has arguably been the most impressive so far, but he is highly unlikely to stick around. Even still, its encouraging to hear him performing well and showing promise for the future.
Great analysis. I was dissapointed, but again, this might be only because my expectations were too high, in Lapierre and Chipchura. Both are definately not ready and a full year with the Dogs is recommanded. Lapierre needs to find some offensive game so is Chipchura with a better balance and becoming stronger as well while upgrading his skating. They will be great competion for next year's camp, but not this year.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Of course,thanks to the media again this year Latendresse is stealing the show.Should easally make the team thanks to the media and looks very possible in reaching 100 points in his first season

Just watch 110%

Oh ya almost forgot,IMO the best young player in camp right now Is Price.I would give him the start especially the way Aebischer and especially Huet have been playing so far

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Of course,thanks to the media again this year Latendresse is stealing the show.Should easally make the team thanks to the media and looks very possible in reaching 100 points in his first season

Just watch 110%
Come on now, don't like Latendresse 'cause of his play on the ice but not 'cause of the hype he gets. Face it, Price is by far the most impressive rookie this year, but Lats is superior to any other out there.

I can't see what's not to like in a player who gives body checks and has a nose for the net and be helpful in front of it in powerplays....

By the way, if the medias had any real influence, we wouldn't be talking as Latendresse, the rookie.....

Old
09-25-2006, 11:46 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

It is a luxury to have a Price as a prospect. Lats provides what the Habs have been lacking. Chipchura hasnt proven he can skate any better than Jason Ward.I would trade him while he has value.

Old
09-25-2006, 11:59 AM
All-Star

Just for the record, Kostitsyn threw a few hits on Saturday night, and he was in front of the net for the Koivu goal. He was by no means soft all game. He once managed to hold on to the puck behind the oposition's net with two Leafs on him. I also saw him take two excellent shots on net. His only glaring mistake on Saturday is that he once tried to make a play in his own zone instead of trying to get the puck out along the boards.

I really think he and Latendresse should at the very least be considered tied at the moment...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 12:04 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Imagine being a coach having the beef of a Lats-Bonk-Murray line with the speedbomb 3rd line of Pleks-Johnson-Zhogin/Kots? Almost like a pitcher having many pitches in his arsenal rather than just a junkball.

Old
09-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Just for the record, Kostitsyn threw a few hits on Saturday night, and he was in front of the net for the Koivu goal. He was by no means soft all game. He once managed to hold on to the puck behind the oposition's net with two Leafs on him. I also saw him take two excellent shots on net. His only glaring mistake on Saturday is that he once tried to make a play in his own zone instead of trying to get the puck out along the boards.

I really think he and Latendresse should at the very least be considered tied at the moment...
Difference is I prefer having Kosty in the AHL since you can have access to him whenever you need and at least give Lats his 10-game try instead of hearing all year that we don't have a lot of big bodies throwing their weight around.

Don't get me wrong, Kosty ain't a soft player by any means, but he's better suited finding the open men with his incredible passes and using his deadly shot than throwing his body around. Kosty is really impressive protecting the puck, sometimes even more than Lats but Lats do bring some other intangibles we don't have in this team. I remember seeing a deflection competition with Aubin at the Dev. Camp and he ate him alive. He's quite good at that so by being in front of the net, not only is he bigger but has a great hand-eye to deflect pucks.

My ideal would be to keep Perez-Kosty and Lats, then after 10 games take a decision in Lats case, see who got the best of the Kosty-Perez battle and take a decision from there.

Old
09-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Come on now, don't like Latendresse 'cause of his play on the ice but not 'cause of the hype he gets. Face it, Price is by far the most impressive rookie this year, but Lats is superior to any other out there.

I can't see what's not to like in a player who gives body checks and has a nose for the net and be helpful in front of it in powerplays....

By the way, if the medias had any real influence, we wouldn't be talking as Latendresse, the rookie.....
I know but it's not fair,why doesen't Perezhogin have a chance to make the team anymore?Right away the media takes his job and gives it to Latendresse and yet everytime Perezhogin plays it's on the 4th line and with 2 clowns,Murray or Downny.Carbo never boosted him on the top 2 lines like he did with Latendresse.We forget very fast what Perezhogin did for us early last year when he played on the top line

Old
09-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Kordic99

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Imagine being a coach having the beef of a Lats-Bonk-Murray line with the speedbomb 3rd line of Pleks-Johnson-Zhogin/Kots? Almost like a pitcher having many pitches in his arsenal rather than just a junkball.
Where's Bégin?

Kordic99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Bob in Niagara

Quote:
It is a luxury to have a Price as a prospect. Lats provides what the Habs have been lacking. Chipchura hasnt proven he can skate any better than Jason Ward.I would trade him while he has value.

Why don't you cut Chipchura some slack? He is just at the beginning of his professional career. Let's see what he does for a full year in Hamilton, before you write him off. He is a real good prospect. I project he will replace Bonk next year.

Bob in Niagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Montreal4Life

While I only saw Grabovsky play once, in my mind(other than Price), he was the best youngin` out there. Everytime he was on the ice against Boston, he created chances, was very quick..... I`d definitly prefer having him instead of Ribeiro on the 2nd line. Of course we dont`need another play maker on that line but he definitly would be an upgrade over Ribeiro

Montreal4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Niagara View Post
Why don't you cut Chipchura some slack? He is just at the beginning of his professional career. Let's see what he does for a full year in Hamilton, before you write him off. He is a real good prospect. I project he will replace Bonk next year.

Anyone can replace Bonk

I think Chipchura will be a good 3rd line center but needs to improve his skating big time.I find him very slow

Old
09-25-2006, 12:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
What makes you think Chipchura's value is all that high if his skating isn't any better then Ward's, wouldn't you think all gm's would already know this. Not that Gainey would trade him, just wondering why you think his value is high if his skating is so bad, which imo it isn't. Ward at his age looked like he was skating in cement, although Chipchura could clearly use a quicker first step and better foot speed. He's 20 and will have several years to work on his game.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Kafka

Quote:

Just watch 110%
Try thinking by yourself by watching the games, and you will notice Latendresse's work. The media coverage on him shouldn't be something preventing him from making the team. He brings something absent from the roster. I think it is welcome. The best thing that could happen for him is an injury to a winger... then he could sign a contract and play at least 10 games with the big club.

Old
09-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kordic99 View Post
Where's Bégin?
;-) Don't panic, Bégin will play more games than Murray.

Old
09-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Anyone can replace Bonk

I think Chipchura will be a good 3rd line center but needs to improve his skating big time.I find him very slow
I don't know if Chipchura will be ready for next year..... I would compare him to Sutherby, and it took Sutherby a long time before being a regular in the NHL.

Old
09-25-2006, 12:59 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
What makes you think Chipchura's value is all that high if his skating isn't any better then Ward's, wouldn't you think all gm's would already know this. Not that Gainey would trade him, just wondering why you think his value is high if his skating is so bad, which imo it isn't. Ward at his age looked like he was skating in cement, although Chipchura could clearly use a quicker first step and better foot speed. He's 20 and will have several years to work on his game.
I thought maybe his value may be on reputation and would bring something in a package. If he has no value he aint worth keeping if we accept the allknowing GM logic. I do prefer good skaters. I hope that he improves.

Old
09-25-2006, 01:08 PM
fatmax

Quote:
Have any kids stuck out yet?
For my point of view
Price was the most impressive rookie of all

Latendresse has a good camp, althought, it seems like he is floating on the ice sometimes, IMO, for at 19 years old, he should give is 100% each shift which I haven't seen yet, but so far, he's good (will fight for a spot on the 2nd or 3rd line with Perez but I think that Perez will stay with the habs)

Ferland is comparable to Murray and better than Downey, althought, he will never fight (has been ask to do it in Junior but never wanted), and with equal talent, I would keep the Quebecer, hence the fact that he has to clear waiver if he is recalled put him in a position where, I think, he will start the year with montreal + I like is attitude

Lapierre did great but doesn't have to clear waiver if he's recalled, so I guess he's going to be recalled when an injury occurs on the 3rd or 4th line

Kostitsyn had a good camp, but IMO, he should start the year with Hamilton in order to developped a greater chemistry with Grbovsy so both of them are ready next year and will be recalled when a 1st or 2nd line starter will be injured (unless he proves me wrong when he's going to be recalled)

Chipchura should be a good competitor next year, look very smart

Locke is too small (needs more balanced)

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 02:33 PM
oli500

I am personaly disapointed with are young guns. The only one that I like from this camp is latendresse. To me no one has jumped out in a WoW kind of way. Its sad because when you look at the way are vets have been playing you would think a kositsyn,chipchura,ferland etc would stand out from the pack but its not the case wich makes me believe that none are ready for nhl action just yet. The reason were 0-4 is exacly that. None of are ahl players had big games and this is the time of the year they can shine because the vets usualy take it easy. Last year we had higgins,plekanec,perezhogin,hossa all have big camps forcing bob gaineys hand. the year before we had players like micheal ryder,ward and again hossa have big camps. This year no one is forcing bob gainey to make a move. To me none of are ahl players deserve a spot on are roster. If were given them one its because of injurys. From all are young players the only one that gave a constant effort is guillaume latendresse and thats the reality of camp.

Some people are not liking how latendresse is getting all this attention. Think about it for a sec, who else deserves the attention guillaume is getting. Chipchura? lapierre?ferland?kositsyn? are second line? While good at times they havent allways been consistant and no rookies deserve a spot on the team.

some of are prospect still need time in the ahl

Last edited by oli500: 09-25-2006 at 02:41 PM.
oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 04:38 PM
fatmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
I am personaly disapointed with are young guns. The only one that I like from this camp is latendresse. To me no one has jumped out in a WoW kind of way. Its sad because when you look at the way are vets have been playing you would think a kositsyn,chipchura,ferland etc would stand out from the pack but its not the case wich makes me believe that none are ready for nhl action just yet. The reason were 0-4 is exacly that. None of are ahl players had big games and this is the time of the year they can shine because the vets usualy take it easy. Last year we had higgins,plekanec,perezhogin,hossa all have big camps forcing bob gaineys hand. the year before we had players like micheal ryder,ward and again hossa have big camps. This year no one is forcing bob gainey to make a move. To me none of are ahl players deserve a spot on are roster. If were given them one its because of injurys. From all are young players the only one that gave a constant effort is guillaume latendresse and thats the reality of camp.

Some people are not liking how latendresse is getting all this attention. Think about it for a sec, who else deserves the attention guillaume is getting. Chipchura? lapierre?ferland?kositsyn? are second line? While good at times they havent allways been consistant and no rookies deserve a spot on the team.

some of are prospect still need time in the ahl
I beleive Latendresse get all the coverage because he played in 4 out of 5 pre-season game while most of the others rookies have played in only a few games:
Ferland had 2/5
Price had 2/5
Lapierre had 1 (or 2)/5
Chipchura 2 (or 3)/5
Kostitsyn 2 (or 3)/5
Latendresse 4/5

Maybe it's a part of the reason why we talk a lot about him, that bein said, I don't know for sure if he has made more point than any other rookie with twice as much game played. On the other hand, Latendresse has more scoring potential than Lapierre & Ferland, they are very different kind of player and it is well known that the media & the fans see more into the stats than into the real impact of a player.

Like I said before, Lapierre, Ferland, Murray & Downey are all competing for a roster spot on the 4th line (which I beleive Ferland will win since he has to clear waivers if he's recalled) and another roster spot is available on the 2nd or 3rd line which would be a race between Perez, Latendresse & Kostytsin

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 05:14 PM
NewHabsEra*

Its clearly between Lats, Kostitsyn and Ferland IMO..

I like Ferland alot but personally I would go with a scoring foward to add more depth on the first 3 lines... We already have Begin Murray Downie and Bonk able to play on the fourth... While I agree Latendresse brings something we lack (physical presence up front), I think Kostitsyn could bring a bit more offense than Latendresse if given the chance on an offensive line... Kostitsyn looks pretty good, I feel he will do some damage soon...At the moment, I couldnt say who will make it, too close, 5 games remaining and we should have a better idea soon..

One thing sure, its not true our kids are doing nothing, those 3 kids looks pretty good as well as Price.. I feel any of them could help us to win. Im happy with Lapierre as well, solid camp but Murray looks pretty good too so I would be surprised if Laps makes the team..

Ive been desapointed with Chipchura, clearly lacks foot speed and he did not even impress me with his hockey sense last game, he showed below average stickhandling skills as well... I know he can do alot better and Ive no doubt he will be a pretty good one for us but just not this year.

Glad Maxwell had a great camp too, I hope he makes team Canada junior this year or next year.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Niagara View Post
If he does make it, it will be because Bonk's contract has expired, Chipchura would be much cheaper, and the Habs are shallower at center than at any other forward position. Right now, Bonk is the superior player.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote