HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Best Superstar Fighter?

Old
05-02-2013, 01:36 PM
tombombadil

vCash: 500
**** "Super"

Best fighters amongst STAR players:

Iginla
Chara
Benn
Kovalchuk
Thornton

Not in order.

Weber should do better in fights.
Laughing at Perry getting any notice, whatsoever! Beat Datsyuk, if you can.

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:29 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Superstars:
Crosby
Malkin
Nash
Iginla
Kovalchuk
Giroux
Weber
Ovechkin

Does Lucic fit in there?
I guess if this is the type of guy you mean--the guys who can crack 1st and 2nd team all-stars plus Rick Nash, the answer is probably Chara.

That said, I'd sure like to see who'd win in an Iggy vs Kovalchuk bout.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Fenian24

Bobby Orr

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:29 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Yes.
hahahaha no just no

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Twister18

Even though he is not a superstar, Chris Stewart throws well and with mean intentions.

Twister18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Milan Lucic
I believe the term used was Superstar?

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:23 PM
AbsolonMoreau*

Joe Thornton should be the answer for current players, it's between him and Iginla and I would put my money on Jumbo, but that's more my homer speaking.

AbsolonMoreau* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:50 AM
SCBruCrew4

Homer vote: When Bergeron fought Josh Gorges, that was one of the more memorable fights with a "superstar" involved.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:09 AM
TheNextDaigle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolonMoreau View Post
Joe Thornton should be the answer for current players, it's between him and Iginla and I would put my money on Jumbo, but that's more my homer speaking.
When thinking of Iginla and Thornton, Jamie Benn immediately comes to mind. He is up there with the best. One tough SOB.

TheNextDaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:46 AM
nwaZ

Kovalchuk is strong as an ox.

nwaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:02 AM
TheNextDaigle

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Yes. He's one of the most popular players in the league; he's had had a top 10 jersey seller for several years now. Voted by his peers as the toughest player in the league and the second toughest forward to play against. Leads a Stanley Cup winning and contending team in goals the past two seasons. Best power forward in the league. Big guys who can fit and score get compared to Lucic in their draft years. He epitomizes the Bruins, a blue collared franchise that glorifies player's toughness and ability. The kid is a superstar.
Best powerforward in the league? NO FREAKING WAY.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:27 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextDaigle View Post
Best powerforward in the league? NO FREAKING WAY.
Who is a better power-forward than Milan Lucic (currently)?

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Quares27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Ladd, Benn, Neal, Getzlaf, Simmonds, Kane, Perry, Stewart, Backes, Iginla, Nash... the list goes on. Lucic has been nothing short of horrible this season.

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:58 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
Ladd, Benn, Neal, Getzlaf, Simmonds, Kane, Perry, Stewart, Backes, Iginla, Nash... the list goes on. Lucic has been nothing short of horrible this season.
I would not consider Andrew Ladd, Jamie Benn, Ryan Getzlaf, Evander Kane, Corey Perry, David Backes, Rick Nash, and James Neal power-forwards.

They do not fight often enough to be considered as one. Although Milan Lucic is having a poor season, I would consider him the power-forward in hockey.

Last edited by MichiganWolverines: 05-10-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old
05-11-2013, 04:49 AM
TheNextDaigle

Quote:
Alex Ovechkin, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, Jamie Benn, David Backes, Ryan Callahan, Joe Thornton, Dustin Brown, Eric Staal, Andrew Ladd, Chris Kunitz, James Neal, Rick Nash and so on, and so forth...

Old
05-11-2013, 11:35 AM
TheNextDaigle

Quote:
I would not consider Andrew Ladd, Jamie Benn, Ryan Getzlaf, Evander Kane, Corey Perry, David Backes, Rick Nash, and James Neal power-forwards.

They do not fight often enough to be considered as one. Although Milan Lucic is having a poor season, I would consider him the power-forward in hockey.
You are obviously having some severe difficulties with the definition of a power forward (hint: fighting often is not a prerequisite). Playing strong, physical hockey, and being able to throw around some weight on the other hand...

Old
05-11-2013, 02:19 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
You are obviously having some severe difficulties with the definition of a power forward (hint: fighting often is not a prerequisite). Playing strong, physical hockey, and being able to throw around some weight on the other hand...
Yes, it actually is a need. The definition of a power-forward has changed, the reason is that the amount of true power-forwards have strongly decrease over the last ten years. I do not understand why you are showing frustration in your post?

True power-fowards are players like Eric Lindros, Rick Tocchet, Cam Neely, and Wendel Clark.

Old
05-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
If Jamie Benn is considered a superstar I'm not sure why Backes hasn't been mentioned here yet.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:13 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

There should be 2 definitive types of power forwards. The non-intimidating big, skilled forward, and those who are actually are power forwards.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:02 AM
TheNextDaigle

Quote:
Yes, it actually is a need. The definition of a power-forward has changed, the reason is that the amount of true power-forwards have strongly decrease over the last ten years. I do not understand why you are showing frustration in your post?

True power-fowards are players like Eric Lindros, Rick Tocchet, Cam Neely, and Wendel Clark.
You are applying the qualitites of a 4th line "tough guy" to the definition of a power forward.

I suspect the intention is to more easily make the argument that Lucic is the top power forward in the NHL (which he definitely is not). And if you canīt agree that any of the above mentioned players are power forwards, I really have nothing more to say. I am not frustrated, I am perplexed.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:24 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
You are applying the qualitites of a 4th line "tough guy" to the definition of a power forward.

I suspect the intention is to more easily make the argument that Lucic is the top power forward in the NHL (which he definitely is not). And if you canīt agree that any of the above mentioned players are power forwards, I really have nothing more to say. I am not frustrated, I am perplexed.
Go onto Google's search engine, and search the definition of a "power-forward" in hockey. The majority of the websites will mention that the willingness to drop the gloves is a key characteristic of a power-forward. Too many users on HFboards assume that a talented and physical forward that plays first/second-line minutes is considered a "power-forward" (however, the forward is not willing to drop the gloves). How can I take your list of "power-forwards" seriously when you considered Eric Staal and James Neal as power-forwards.

These are players that I would consider as power-forwards in today's game:

Milan Lucic, Ryane Clowe, (potential) Marcus Foligno, (potential) Zack Kassian, and Jarome Iginla.

Old
05-12-2013, 04:46 PM
TheNextDaigle

Quote:
Go onto Google's search engine, and search the definition of a "power-forward" in hockey. The majority of the websites will mention that the willingness to drop the gloves is a key characteristic of a power-forward. Too many users on HFboards assume that a talented and physical forward that plays first/second-line minutes is considered a "power-forward" (however, the forward is not willing to drop the gloves). How can I take your list of "power-forwards" seriously when you considered Eric Staal and James Neal as power-forwards.

These are players that I would consider as power-forwards in today's game:

Milan Lucic, Ryane Clowe, (potential) Marcus Foligno, (potential) Zack Kassian, and Jarome Iginla.
Yeah, I am not relying Google to define a power forward... A power forward to me is a player that plays physical hockey, and uses his body to create plays, create momentum (again: does NOT need to be a fight), and does so on a regular basis.

Again, how can you exclude every single player from my previous list as A) a power forward, and B) a better player than Lucic? I understand you like Lucic and all, but it is certainly not a knock on him to say that Ryan Getzlaf, or Jamie Benn are far superior players/power forwards...

Old
05-12-2013, 08:38 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Yeah, I am not relying Google to define a power forward... A power forward to me is a player that plays physical hockey, and uses his body to create plays, create momentum (again: does NOT need to be a fight), and does so on a regular basis.

Again, how can you exclude every single player from my previous list as A) a power forward, and B) a better player than Lucic? I understand you like Lucic and all, but it is certainly not a knock on him to say that Ryan Getzlaf, or Jamie Benn are far superior players/power forwards...
When did I stated that Milan Lucic was a better player than the "power-forwards" you mentioned? I am fully aware that Ryan Getzlaf, Jamie Benn and the other players you mentioned are better all-around players than Milan Lucic. However, I do not consider them power-forwards because they rarely fight.

Old
05-12-2013, 08:47 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
When did I stated that Milan Lucic was a better player than the "power-forwards" you mentioned? I am fully aware that Ryan Getzlaf, Jamie Benn and the other players you mentioned are better all-around players than Milan Lucic. However, I do not consider them power-forwards because they rarely fight.
Well there must only be a handful of your "power forwards" in the NHL if you don't consider most of the listed ones...

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:24 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Well there must only be a handful of your "power forwards" in the NHL if you don't consider most of the listed ones...
What players would you consider power-forwards in today's NHL.?

People have different definitions for power-forwards.