HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Karlsson ever be the same?

Old
05-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Milan the God*

vCash: 500
They've said it could take up to a year to get back to 100%.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Iconoclast
Get back

Come on OP, you're worrying me. I refuse to believe that next season Karlsson will be anything less than the best defenceman in the world.

Iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Mika Hoffmanijad

vCash: 966
Where gonna get some MUCH NEEDED rest right now for Karlsson,

Mika Hoffmanijad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:21 PM
HockeySens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senz View Post
Where gonna get some MUCH NEEDED rest right now for Karlsson,
and spezza I cant wait till spezza comes back, Turris will explode as a 2nd line center.

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Carrie Underwood

vCash: 905
Yes.

Carrie Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Topside

He had reduced minutes tonight because it was a blowout and who knows how the Habs would react.

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:29 PM
EddieDingle

His minutes were reduced before the blowout. They were showing the stat in the 1st intermission, behind a few Habs players and someone on the Sens. Even though until this game he was 3rd in ice-time out of everybody in the playoffs.

I think MacLean decided to lay off because he didn't want a Karlsson turnover. That's the only thing I'm concerned about. The 1st passes and shots from the point that bounce off and cause breakaways and 2 on 1's.

I have no doubt his decision making will come back but he didn't look good in this series and you'd like to have him at his best against the Penguins. He's fighting it.

EddieDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Slack
Custom User Title

I hate this thread. As has probably been mentioned 1000 times now, it could take up to a year for him to fully recover. For those who feel like panicking the next time you notice EK's lack of explosiveness, try to think how he feels. Just try to be a little patient.

Slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Here I Pageau Again

Again, I know he rushed back. And that's just it. He rushed back (not in the fact that he would re-injure, but in the fact that he isn't back to full strength).

Being on bed rest for weeks, he will need MONTHS before that leg is back to speed.

I'm not sure if he will be the same again or not. But it will likely take until next season to actually see what he will be like when fully healed.

Here I Pageau Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:53 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 88
Karlsson will look a lot better and faster in the next series.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Jonathan81

Come one guys, we all know Karlsson is not at 100%, He knows it, the entire league Knows it. I give him so much credit the way he play this serie, You could see it was hard for him to force himself in a lesser role. Even tough, only with his tremendous hockey IQ he can match the likes of Subban. It's only a matter of time before this really young man get back to is former self with a hard but worthy knowledge under his skin and i'll bet my left nut than we haven't seen the best of Erik yet

Jonathan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
Quite a few players who suffered similar injuries have come back from them to eventually reach 100%

It just takes a while

Lowering his ice-time tonight was a good idea

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:09 PM
HavlatMach9

I admit it hurts a little that we all question if he'll be back to his normal self as opposed could he have gotten even better.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...

I sure hope so.

I really miss the Karlsson of January/February of 2013. He was flying out there. Now, he looks physically and mentally tired.

Also, he can't get a decent shot on the net, for some reason.

Novak Djokovic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:22 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

And yet even at, dare I say, 0.65 Karlsson, he's still PPG and a threat on the ice. Amazing hockey IQ. Give him time and he'll be back!

metalfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:25 PM
faire
classless

I think the main question for the rest of his career will be "how good karlsson could have become if he never gotten hurt?" or something along those lines very unfortunate if he never returns to the gamebreaker he once was..

faire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:26 PM
EddieDingle

I'm just treating this as an All-Things-Karlsson thread. It's not about his injury or if he'll ever be the same. I just think he's fighting it right now and it has more to do with the hype than his injury. He'll be back. I didn't like the tweet about how turnovers happen and he won't change after game 2. No, it was a simple first pass without a lot of pressure. He should make better decisions. I want to puncture that hype bubble. He's over-thinking things.

I'm not even so much worried about speed(and thus the injury). I think it's in his head. He has a hockey IQ like Lidstrom did, maybe better, but it hasn't quite returned to form in that way.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
Karlsson will look a lot better and faster in the next series.
Yes. The little bit of extra time that this 5-game series win will buy him will give his tired muscles time to recoup, and for him to focus his physical energy on strength and conditioning instead of saving it for games. He's got a good physical foundation and youth, he'll continue to rehabilitate very quickly.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:33 PM
costermonger
sans classe

Barring some kind of odd complication, I really don't see why anybody's worried that he won't be back to his explosive self next season. They didn't have to shorten the tendon (which they do if it's fully severed) so the general consensus is it's just a matter of time.

It really will be next season though; it's a miracle he's even playing at all right now.

costermonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Here I Pageau Again

I'd probably say temper your expectations of Karlsson for the next round.

I highly doubt his full speed comes back. Personally I see a few less dumb plays/giveaways, better shots from the point. But not a HUGE change in his speed.

Definitely need 6-8 months of recovery to get the that point. It could take up to a year to build back that leg. The sheer fact he is skating is incredible! And then he is getting points on top of that, its just amazing.

Here I Pageau Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Countdown0
Painfully Honest

Everyone needs to relax. Karlsson is a super athlete, no question about it. The guy is a genetic jackpot when it comes to competitive sports, and could have been a star is basically anything he wanted to do.

Give him the off season. EK will push himself to get better than he was before his injury, and he will get there. That's the kind of guy he is. He's young, he a specimen, and he's a work horse. Give him time, and he'll be BETTER than he was before. Trust.

Countdown0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:48 PM
EddieDingle

A few less dumb giveaways? He was on fire before the injury. Karlsson turned the corner about halfway through last season in terms of knowing when to pass/pinch, etc. and was almost never a defensive liability. That was the book on him in his coming out season. Turnstyle Karlsson. He'll cause almost as many goals against as he creates. He changed that last year, carried it into this year, but I think that concern is back since his return. It's why MacLean limited his ice time tonight. He's causing too many turnovers.

Why is Karlsson so sacrosanct around here? Why can no one criticize him when he's obviously fighting it? I think it's good if criticism bubbles up and affects his thinking about how he plays. Based on his attitude after the giveaway goal in game 2 it doesn't sound like MacLean is getting through to him. In fairness, you can't fault the kid for believing in himself when you're that good.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:53 PM
BuckyDornster
Speed kills, Del.

vCash: 1020
Seeing how we may be up against Matt Cooke next round, I'm feeling really antsy.
You know they are going to target Erik nonstop.... Hopefully the rest does him a lot of good.

BuckyDornster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:06 PM
MiscBrah

He will be better once he gets some rest. PM ****ed it up by playing 30 minutes in B2B games.

Give him a few days and he'll look much like his old self. Similar to when he came back for the Washington game.

He still can't turn left though, and everyone knows it. Oh well, he's good enough that even when other teams know what to target they still can't get him to give much up.

MiscBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:10 PM
JessicaN

He's above ppg and +5...

Not worried.

JessicaN is offline   Reply With Quote